Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Forest & Van Dyke » Archive through October 03, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Donnie
Username: Donnie

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 9:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone remember the restaurant on the corner of Forest and Van Dyke? The Forest Grill. My grandfather owned it from the 30s till 1965. My mother grew up in the apartment above it. She has great stories about the area and I was hoping others would share there's.

Bratt
Username: Bratt

Post Number: 649
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 9:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry, I grew up around the corner from there on Maxwell and Forest. I remember the corner you are talking about though. The store that was kitty corner to it, my parents' friends owned it.

Donnie

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 9:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bratt, wasn't that the Hickory Barbeque?

Caldogven
Username: Caldogven

Post Number: 118
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Donnie
I used to hang out at the Schroeder house about two or three houses off of Forest. There were three sister.
There was a drug store on one corner, the bar-b-q, a dairy (Eagle I think), and the restaurant.
Do you know any of the people from back then?

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny thing is, I believe the local neighbors are now trying to turn Forest and Van dyke into a section of Detroit called "Little Egypt".

Donnie

Post Number: 4
Posted on Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Caldogven,
My mother, Diana, still talks to Pat and Rita
Schroeder. She's wondering your name?

Donnie

Post Number: 5
Posted on Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My grandmother told me about a young man that walked into the restaurant one day and explained how he was starting out in the music industry. He asked my grandfather if he would put his record in the restaurant jukebox. When he said yes, the young man wrote on the record," Thank You Very Much, Marvin Gaye."
Cool Stuff Huh!

Caldogven

Post Number: 119
Posted on Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Donnie
My name is Chris.
I remember Rita and Rosalie, but most of all Diana.
I really liked her. I remember seeing two of the sisters on a bowling show on T.V. Years ago.
There was also a young brother and sister I think. I used to hang around with Denis Calvin, he lived across the alley on Seyburn. He had an older brother Mickey. At the other end of Van Dyke at Warren was a girl who's last name was Johnson, I don'remember her first name. More to come later.

Donnie

Post Number: 6
Posted on Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chris
Might be Bonnie Johnson.
The Diana that is my mother is
Diana Kambers from the Forest Grill
She has a sister Betsy.

Caldogven

Post Number: 120
Posted on Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Donnie
Bonnie is right. Her parents were kind of strict and wouldn't let her hang with us too much, especially when everyone would climb into my car and go to Rough Park ice skating. I think her father was the body shop manager at Mack - Gratiot Chevrolet. Does your ma know whatever became of Diane Schroeder?
I don't ever remember seeing or hearing about their father, the mother worked at the bar on Van Dyke one block towards Canfield (Manila) I think.
I would like to hear some of your ma's memories.
Mine are from the mid to late 50's.

Donnie

Post Number: 7
Posted on Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Caldogven,
My ma will be over tomorrow and you'll be able to chat with her. So, keep an eye out. She lived there during the 50's also. She's going to a retirement party this evening where some of the people from the old neighborhood will be attending and she's going to tell them to join the discussion. Do you remember the restaurant or even maybe my grandparents that owned it?

Caldogven

Post Number: 121
Posted on Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Donnie
Sorry I was never in the restaurant. I do remember if you missed the jog in Forest you might crash into it! Does your ma have a computer? If so it would be a lot more private to communicate. If possible I can give you my E-mail address. I had been in the dairy many times. There were hundreds of straw wrapers stock on the ceiling, you would wet the end of the wraper and blow it up to the ceiling and it would stick there. I'm looking forward to tomorrow!

Donnie

Post Number: 8
Posted on Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Caldogven,
Sorry, my ma doesn't have a computer. I haven't been able to convince her yet. But if you want to give me your email, I'll be happy to have her email you tomorrow from mine.

Caldogven

Post Number: 122
Posted on Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Donnie

Dorothyd
Username: Dorothyd

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 8:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I grew up on Maxwell between Forest and Warren, went to Hillger and Barbour in the 50's. I remember that restaurant and Diane, the Eagle Dairy across the street where we would go for ice cream on summer evenings, Rose's Drug Store on the other corner, Louie's Store on the corner of Maxwell and Forest and a collie named Trixie on the corner of Maxwell and Forest.

Donnie

Post Number: 9
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember Mr. Rose. He later moved his drug store to Kelly Rd. across the street from Denby High School. When I was a kid we would go to his store for medical advice as well as our prescriptions. He was a really nice guy. Diane and her sister Betsy both went to Hilger in the 50's.

Harpernottingham
Username: Harpernottingham

Post Number: 272
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 9:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did any of you go to St. Charles?
My father grew up near you folks at Charlevoix and Seyburn, just west of Van Dyke. His uncle ran Little Mike's Market.

Anybody remember the place?
I'm too young to remember it, and the ancestors are all dead.

Donnie

Post Number: 10
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 9:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Harpernottingham
I know some of the Andary family went to St. Charles. Whats your dad's name. There was a store on Forest and Seyburn called Mickey's Market. Is that the one?

Harpernottingham

Post Number: 274
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, it was called Little Mike's.
It was (and still is) at the corner of Charlevoix and Seyburn. It's still standing, but barely.

There's a house attached to it, where my father grew up. Great-Uncle Mike's last name was Mesrey, born in Damascus in 1899.

I'd love to learn something more about my family and their old neighborhood. George and Eddie Mesrey, my uncle and father, respectively, were born in 1930 and 1932.

Anybody know anything about them?
Much obliged ...

Donnie

Post Number: 11
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Harpernottingham
Your great uncle Mike was born the same year as my grandfather. I'm going to check with some of the old timers to see if any of them remember your father and uncle. Thanks for writing in.

Harpernottingham

Post Number: 275
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Donnie!
Thanks a lot!

Donnie

Post Number: 12
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Harpernottingham
By the way, Harper & Nottingham. I grew up on Manistique & Harper. Went to Wayne Elementary School 71-77. How 'bout you.

Dorothyd

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When we moved off of Maxwell to the Six Mile Gratiot area (and I went to Denby), we would still stop in to see Mr. Rose in his new location on Kelly. My mom would take me there to get advice most times instead of going to the doctor.

I was the only "public" kid on my block of Maxwell. All others went to St. Catherine.

Donnie

Post Number: 13
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dorothyd
I know a lot of people that went to St. Catherine. Did you recognize any of the names earlier in this. Some of them went there. I sure had a lot of friends in the six and Gratiot area also. Most of them went to Grotto or Good Council. I went to Jr. High at 7 and Gratiot, small school called Gratiot Christian on Fordham.

Dorothyd

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 6:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Donnie, I recognized the name Schroeder and a friend of mine went to St. Catherine's with Pat. I grew up with the Lombardi's, Taormina's, Garofalo's, Mary Ann and George Bozynski, just to name a few. There was a Carol O'Connor down the street. Went to Grotto after moving into the 6 Mile/Gratiot area and my kids went there to school.

It is so long ago, memory is fuzzy, but I do remember sitting in the restaurant sometimes waiting for your mother to be able to come over after school, I believe. I lived in the yellow brick house on the corner of Willard and Maxwell. Ask her if she remembers.

Tell your mother I have my autograph book from 1958, and she signed it. I have a class picture somewhere, but have to find it. Another friend from that class was Donna Wall.

Jazzstage
Username: Jazzstage

Post Number: 121
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Donnie,

My father lived at 5934 (I believe) Manistique. Was that the same block you were on. When did your family more in?

Donnie

Post Number: 14
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 8:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jazzstage
We lived on the 9700 block. It's the first block of Manistique. Moved in there in 1970.
Thanks for writing in.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6588
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That area of Van Dyke and Forest used to be a earliest small Chaldean Community since in 1910 before they moved on to W. 7 Mile Rd. between Woodward Ave. and John R. Rd. and then Oak Park on 9 Mile Rd. from Rosewood St. to Coolidge HWY. and the rest of Southfield, Lathrup Village, Bloomfield Hills, Bloomfield TWP., West Bloomfield TWP. Commence TWP. ect..

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 152
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone ever been to Shulties on Baldwin and Forest? It was a corner bar. My dad used to take me there back in the 70`s. A lady named Marge used to own it.

Donnie

Post Number: 15
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Picture of the Forest Grill