Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Ambassador Bridge « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitwhat
Username: Detroitwhat

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What are they developing near the Ambassador Bridge in those vacant lots?

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 298
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

improving the interchanges to I-75 and I-96, new pedestrian bridge connecting E and W Mexicantown, and expanding the bridge plaza to ease traffic.
Ambassador Bridge Gateway Project

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 2543
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Matty Moroun is putting up his privately-owned superbridge quietly over night so no one notices...

Southen
Username: Southen

Post Number: 331
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like the new pedestrian bridge that is going along with this project. It will connect up to the Mexicantown welcome center and really add some interest to the area.

Billk
Username: Billk

Post Number: 152
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is a gazillion dollar project for the Ambassador bridge. What happens when thay build an additional crossing farther away?

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1896
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"What happens when thay build an additional crossing farther away?"

Matty has said that the current bridge would not be used and that it would need a rehab if it were to be. Once a new one is built it would be the primary crossing, leaving the current one for use perhaps only during peak periods if that.

Billk
Username: Billk

Post Number: 155
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Mr. Maroun is building his new spans adjacent to the current bridge, using the same approach roads. I was talking about the State of Michigan bridge to be built in Delray.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1912
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, well the potential is out there that they could both be built...

Flybydon
Username: Flybydon

Post Number: 184
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Flyby's perspective

New Construction of I-75 ramps

Scooter2k7
Username: Scooter2k7

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If he wants wants to "beautify" that part of Detroit by the bridge, here is an idea, do something the MCS already!

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 179
Posted on Saturday, November 03, 2007 - 8:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don- Do you still go to Genevas?

Flybydon

Post Number: 188
Posted on Saturday, November 03, 2007 - 8:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

”Do you still go to Genevas”
Pgn421, on occasion it’s a must, when that need for there infamous sliders beckons my pallet.
Most of the regulars have moved on so it’s not as colorful as the old days.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 907
Posted on Saturday, November 03, 2007 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the photos, Flybydon. Can we vector you to the Chene-Ferry areas for a shot of the last few houses there, before the urban parries erase them all? I have plenty from truck level, so an aerial shot would be nice. There has been a year’s long project there to upgrade the entire infrastructure, and I am waiting to see what takes root. (sorry for the off-topicness, admin)

Flybydon

Post Number: 189
Posted on Saturday, November 03, 2007 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bullet:
Respectfully, I don’t take requests as that has a tendency to snow ball.
What I share on this forum are usually images that I capture while on assignment or going to and from.

If the opportunity is presented without conflicts I’ll see what I can do for historical value.

Further note, should you or anyone have information on future developments feel free to email me at my address indicated on my web site aerialpics.com.

Regards and Pleasant Tailwinds to you all.

FlyByDon

Pgn421

Post Number: 180
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Flybydon- we both know a mutual friend of mine. He used to fly the DPD helicopter. I grew up with him.

Flybydon

Post Number: 190
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pgn421

Roger that: Would that be TH?
If so, he's now is working part time as a dispatcher for the Grosse Pointe City Police “Compartment”.

He retired from DPD a few months ago. Apparently he wants to hold off collecting his funds for a few years. As per our conversation last week he's still instructing or giving bi annual flight reviews while studying for his ATP (Air Transport Pilot) certification. Not many radio runs to dispatch in GP so why not make use of that paid idle time.

I'm trying to place who you are. How about a small hint. Former / active DPD?

Pgn421

Post Number: 182
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don- Yes TH. Im not a former or active DPD. Im a teamster.I used to see you at Genevas. Good for TH. I will have to give him a call. If you talk to TH, i grew up on Bishop. He will know who i am. Cheers!

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 3456
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Matty's company is having a public meeting for the bridge project Dec. 6, 6:00 p.m. at Earhart Middle School, 1000 Scotten Street, Detroit.

anyone think the man will show?

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6429
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, why would he? They had these "meetings" in Windsor a few months back.

Kind of a waste of time.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1994
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The community neighborhood meeting is prob. a requisite for rezoning the property surrounding the site of the second bridge, if nothing else. This is required by law. If he doesn't want the neighboring properties to protest the rezoning, he (or his representatives there) must really try his/their best to impress.

Zxzm
Username: Zxzm

Post Number: 76
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 7:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I think Mr. Maroun is building his new spans adjacent to the current bridge, using the same approach roads. I was talking about the State of Michigan bridge to be built in Delray.

Ain't gonna happen. It's gotta be approved by the city, state, and federal govt's in addition to the Canadians. I know the Canadians don't want another span going through that neighborhood...

Walkerpub
Username: Walkerpub

Post Number: 181
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Never say "ain't" when it comes to Matty Maroun...

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1017
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unless you're talking about saving the Matty-owned MCS, Walker.

Walkerpub

Post Number: 182
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Things have been known to take strange twists and turns- who would've believed we'd still be talking about a new crossing more than 6 years AFTER 9/11?
As for the MCS- that is a tragedy..

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 2704
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 11:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marty is out for himself, not really into what is best for the City, too bad with all the money he has made around here

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 47
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 12:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zxzm

"I know the Canadians don't want another span going through that neighborhood..."

Right! No one wants it in their neighborhood. No one wants it to go any where near Ojibway Parkway either. The argument is that it is not needed. Nothing could be further from the truth. A new bridge crossing is very much needed.

Having driven across the Ambassador Bridge thousands of times, I recently was a passenger and had the opportunity while backed up in traffic to really look at the bridge. The railings are eaten away in some spots. Mostly along the approaches. There are some spots where you can see right through the railings. There is nothing connecting them! There is always some sort of work being done. Which is a good thing of course. Being the busiest crossing the bridge must be maintained. But a new one is needed so this one can be closed down to traffic and totally repaired.

The Canadians need to come to their senses and agree that this needs to be done - and quickly. Whether it goes through their neighborhood or near Ojibway Parkway - its gonna happen.

While Canadians sit and wring their hands and conduct all sorts of expensive studies and hem and haw over it all...now, I don't know the man personally, but Matty Maroun seems like a "git 'er done" kinda guy. He will prevail when it comes right down to it. And I seriously hope so. The Government red tape will be dealt with. We need that new bridge no matter what.

Zxzm
Username: Zxzm

Post Number: 77
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 2:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, we need a new bridge... in Delray... owned by the public.

Sure, Matty is a "git 'er done" kinda guy... just look at what he's done w/ MCS. He's such a "git 'er done" kinda that he's let the Ambassador Bridge fall into whatever state of disrepair it's in now.

Do you know how far back Huron Church Road backs up during peak times? And you want to increase the truck traffic on that road? I'm sorry, but the Windsorites who live in that neighborhood are fully w/ in their rights to tell Matty the Moron to fuck off.

(Message edited by zxzm on November 09, 2007)

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5708
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 2:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree that a 2nd crossing is needed, but you certainly wouldn't get that impression looking at the bridge traffic in Flybydon's first pic! :-)

Sycloneman
Username: Sycloneman

Post Number: 62
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 2:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am a bit out of the loop...who is this matty guy? Any other posts I can refer to or at least a name so I can look it up?

Thanks all!
Sycloneman

Pgn421

Post Number: 193
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 8:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Syclone- Matty Manuel Maroon, is one of the wealthiest men in Detroit. He owns Ambassador Bridge, Central Transport Trucking Co,MoHawk trucking, Owns, or did own a Bank in Flint. Plus a lot of other holdings we probably dont even know. From some of the articles in the newspapers, he is a very schrewd businessman.

Rb336

Post Number: 3465
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 8:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"he's let the Ambassador Bridge fall into whatever state of disrepair it's in now."

A bridge like the ambassador should have a very long life if properly maintained. If it is in as bad condition as eriedearie said, then obviously matty has been pocketing the fairs and failing to do his legal duty to maintain the bridge. best argument of all against letting him own the new one

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1995
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 8:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"...his legal duty to maintain the bridge."

He owns the bridge; can't he do with it whatever he wants in theory? If he wanted to shut it down the vehicle traffic today, I am pretty sure that he could. His incentive to keep it up and running is the income that it produces. This is what is guiding his motivation.

Walkerpub

Post Number: 183
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 9:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To read one man's perspective on the view from the Windsor side, check out Ed Arditti's blog- you don't have to agree with him but he does his homework:

http://windsorcityon.blogspot. com/

Eriedearie

Post Number: 54
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Do you know how far back Huron Church Road backs up during peak times? And you want to increase the truck traffic on that road? I'm sorry, but the Windsorites who live in that neighborhood are fully w/ in their rights to tell Matty the Moron to fuck off."

Oh no - you get me wrong. I do not want to increase the traffic on Huron Church Road. That artery to and from the 401 has way more traffic than it can handle. I know because I've been in the back ups.

All I'm trying to say is...the new bridge is needed and it is my opinion that the Canadian side of the crossing can be funneled through to Ojibway Parkway. Out that way there is nothing but industrial stuff. Smelly water treatment plant, etc. It is doable, but the Canadians don't want to disturb any wild life that may be living in the woods over from the industrial area.

Gridlock Sam - the guy brought in from New York to study and design the new crossing focused on Huron Church Road (because it is the most direct route to the 401) - not the alternative because of the wild life.

Now, a raised roadway would be the way to go, in my opinion - but that has been deemed much too expensive.

It is in Matty's best interests to keep maintaining the bridge - and he does. Whatever is top priority I believe is being done. He's seeing to it that the most problematic areas are kept up. The railings I refer to must not be crucial to the actual safety of the crossing. So it is not top priority. However, they will need to be taken care of eventually. One can only do so much in the time frame of decent weather conditions we have here. So taking care of the road, the cables, the underneath of the bridge, etc. that's top priority.

You see there are other alternatives to going through that existing neighborhood. But someone has put the blinders on the shakers and movers in charge of these things. Thinking out of the box is called for in this situation.

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1978
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Flybydon -- Just had to say that your pic of the Ambassador Bridge is great!

Flybydon

Post Number: 200
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Dougw. Pleased you enjoyed it.

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 1198
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was under the impression that lack of sufficient customs and tollbooths is mostly what makes the Ambassador congested; if there were more of those, traffic would flow fairly quickly across the bridge.

Maintenance of the railings was probably a higher priority when pedestrians and bicyclists were allowed on the bridge. They aren't anymore, are they? I know they're not allowed anymore on the Blue Water.

I wish the Ambassador was still painted black. Never cared for that blue color.

(Message edited by Burnsie on November 09, 2007)

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2005
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I wish the Ambassador was still painted black. Never cared for that blue color."

You don't own the bridge Burnsie.

Treelock
Username: Treelock

Post Number: 235
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've already mentioned this here once but it bears repeating that I saw at least one hole in the concrete surface of the bridge while running over it during last year's Detroit-Windsor half marathon. It was on what I guess you'd call the sidewalk portion along the edge of the southbound traffic lanes, large enough to put your foot through and it was marked (poorly) with an orange cone. It did not inspire confidence.

Moroun is not to be trusted. He already went ahead and claimed a bunch of land - including at least one home kitty-corner from St. Anne's church - to facilitate his expanded truck plaza without first obtaining approval from the city.

Walkerpub

Post Number: 184
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lessenberry weighs in:

Coming a Cropper: State Sen. Alan Cropsey (R- Dewitt, west of Lansing) isn't a guy you would normally think of as a transportation expert. During his college days at that intellectual powerhouse, Bob Jones University, he studied how to teach math (fundamentalist math, naturally) to little kids.

Nor is he on the transportation committee. But he has been fighting hard to protect the interests of Matty Moroun, the shadowy billionaire who wants monopoly control of commercial traffic across the Detroit River. Old Matt has that now, thanks to his ownership of the Ambassador Bridge.

http://www.metrotimes.com/edit orial/story.asp?id=12001

Walkerpub

Post Number: 185
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Frank Beckman weighs in:

http://www.wjr.com/Article.asp ?id=503166&spid=6525

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." Mark Twain

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 1199
Posted on Saturday, November 10, 2007 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Charlottepaul wrote, "You don't own the bridge Burnsie."

Oh Jesus, lighten up. So I have to own the bridge before it's OK to express an idle opinion about its color?

With that logic, you'd also be hostile towards people critiquing the design of a skyscraper, or a painting in a museum, because "they don't own it."

Rb336

Post Number: 3515
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

geez, that wjr post is just the guy whining and whining. but they do want the state to issue bond for construction of THEIR bridge and to maintain THEIR approaches. typical right-wing hypocrisy

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 983
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 3:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does this guy do anything remotely philanthropic? I can't think of one thing he's done to improve the city/region. As long he's pocket are getting fatter he seems perfectly happy to let Ambassador and MCS rot.

Zulu_warrior
Username: Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 3246
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zulu Instant Poll

Poll question:

Are you in favor of rising your own personal taxes for a public bridge?

Answer yes or no.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1868
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

as long as matty reaps no benefits from it, yes

Flybydon

Post Number: 201
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, if a toll will be charged.

Eriedearie

Post Number: 150
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with Flyby.