Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » 50th anniversary of Eastland Center « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 840
Posted on Sunday, October 28, 2007 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

2007 marks the 50th anniversary of Eastland Center. In celebration of the event, the center has created a photo exhibit detailing the history of Eastland. Sadly, the poster sized photographs have been mounted on the false facades of the many vacant stores that now dot Eastland's landscape. It would have been nice if the photos had been captioned, but I'll bet that there are no old timers around in the organization who remember the once great shopping center's glory days.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 379
Posted on Sunday, October 28, 2007 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They used to all be in a hallway at the other end of their old Food Court (you could see them all the time). I guess they collected them and moved them around when they demolished it for Lowes. I don't think any of their original stores are even there now (besides Macy's).

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 2014
Posted on Sunday, October 28, 2007 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The photos are mostly strange idiosyncratic happenings - I wish they had construction photos or images showing the original configuration of the outdoor mall. The new mall built recently was touted as some special thing for being an outdoor design - its like nobody remembers what Eastland was.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3873
Posted on Sunday, October 28, 2007 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is the only mall I've ever been vaguely familiar with, as it was about 3 miles from where I grew up. I haven't been in the actual mall for probably five years.

Like all malls, it is doomed to eventual failure.

It is handy having the two home improvement stores there, though.

Ed_golick

Post Number: 841
Posted on Sunday, October 28, 2007 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitrise,
There are a handful of original tenants still toughing it out. I have a list of Eastland's original retail stores, if anyone is interested.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 906
Posted on Sunday, October 28, 2007 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We used to steal stuff from there (Eastland) when we were kids. That is till we got nabbed and beaten. Any photos of the old open mall anyone?

Detroitrise

Post Number: 381
Posted on Sunday, October 28, 2007 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"We used to steal stuff from there (Eastland) when we were kids. That is till we got nabbed and beaten. Any photos of the old open mall anyone?"

Well at least we know why Eastland has a high vacancy rate (j/k Bullet, lol).

Maxcarey
Username: Maxcarey

Post Number: 189
Posted on Sunday, October 28, 2007 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ed

Please list

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1676
Posted on Sunday, October 28, 2007 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my whole family (ma, pa aunts uncles) all worked at the Big Boy

Ed_golick

Post Number: 842
Posted on Sunday, October 28, 2007 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Original Eastland tenants, from the March 1958 edition of The Eastland Center News.

A.A.A. Bird Store
Albert's, Inc.
Alexander & Hornung, Inc.
Appearance Shop
Artiste Beauty Salon
Awrey Bakeries, Inc.
Baker's Shoes
Barna Bee Children's Shop
A.S. Beck Shoe Store
George M. Beebe, Inc.
Brothers Restaurant
Brothers Carry-Out
Chandler's Shoes
Community Key Shop
Corey's Jewel Box
Cunningham Drug Stores
Detroit Edison
Detroit Vital Foods
Dube's Barber Shop
Eastland Flower & Plant Market
Elliott Travel Service
Emile Beauty Salon
Englander Furniture Company
Evelyn's Town & Country
Fanny Farmer Candy
Fintex Clothes
Fruit-A-Rama
Gugala Camera Shop
Hartfield's
Hot 'N' Kold Shops
The J.L. Hudson Company
The J.L. Hudson Pantry Shop
Hughes & Hatcher
Joli Beauty Salon
Juliet Wearing Apparel
Kay Corsetiere
Kinney's Shoes
Kitty Kelly Shops
S.S. Kresge Company
Kroger Company
Macauley's Stationers
Marianne Shops
Marwil Book Store
Maxwell's Toys
McDevitt's
Morley's Candies
National Bank of Detroit
Phillips Shoes
Queen Cleaners
Raimi's Curtains
Robinson Furniture Company
Russell Kelly Office Service
Sallan Jewelers
Schiller's Millinery
Suzy Hats
Thom McAn Shoe Store
The Tie Rak
United Shirt Distributors
U.S. Post Office
Van Horn's Men's Wear
Winkelman's

(Message edited by ed golick on October 28, 2007)

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5582
Posted on Sunday, October 28, 2007 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastland and Northland for us Westsiders was all the rage back then. Nothland went up with the John C. Lodge Expy. in 1954. jjaba doesn't see the gloom and doom results. Sure, the stores have to change, and infact, open air malls are coming back. Vacancies are a sign of poor management and mix, not the property nor concept. That's how Americans like to shop. As Harper Woods reinvents itself, the Eastland Center also has to adjust.

jjaba, Westsider.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 382
Posted on Sunday, October 28, 2007 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I only see 2 (or 3 stores) on that list that are still in Eastland (Corey's Jewel Box and Baker's and the Post Office). Unless, many of the stores have changed their names or went out of business.

Jjaba

Post Number: 5584
Posted on Sunday, October 28, 2007 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is also a function of American family life. The idea of next generation in retailing doesn't work. The kids go to college and bust their ass not to work as hard at retail as parents. They'd rather work in corporate or the professions.

Some stores can continue if an employee buys it out. jjaba has seen a Japanese baker running a German Bakery, a Mexican shoe salesman, buying out some old Jew, etc. But this seems rare.

jjaba.

Ed_golick

Post Number: 843
Posted on Sunday, October 28, 2007 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like only Bakers Shoes and the U.S. Post Office have been there from the beginning. The current online listing doesn't list Corey's Jewel Box.

(Message edited by ed golick on October 28, 2007)

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1917
Posted on Sunday, October 28, 2007 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A couple of past threads with some photos and recollections of Eastland.

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/62684/66966.html

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/89914/103180.html

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2547
Posted on Sunday, October 28, 2007 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My son works for a retailer who opened a store at the new Mall at Partridge Creek. He had been out there to help set up the new store and was describing how the Mall is an open air village, no cars (unlike the Village Shops in Rochester Hills, where he works). That gave me an opportunity to tell him about how Eastland and Northland were both open air malls when they opened back in 1957. Just another case of what goes around comes around!!

Flyingj
Username: Flyingj

Post Number: 35
Posted on Sunday, October 28, 2007 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was always debate in Seattle-many argue Northgate Mall-near my grandmother's house, with some great sales on flannel to be had-was the 1st Mall. I see by this thread they're probably right-but then Seattle also fights with Portland over who had the first "Skid Row" so go figure...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N orthgate_Mall_(Seattle)
http://history.sandiego.edu/ge n/soc/shoppingcenter.htm

D2dyeah
Username: D2dyeah

Post Number: 74
Posted on Sunday, October 28, 2007 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastland and Northland were very big deals when they opened. The Hudson's stores were full line stores and they were beautiful. They weren't as big obviously as downtown, but they had everything. My Grandma worked at the Northland Hudson's , and she used to take me to the employees cafeteria for lunch. They had the best food and you didn't have to leave the store. The malls themselves had all of that beautiful artwork, mosaics and fountains. We always had to be on our best behavior, and not run around like we did when we went shopping at Westborn, Wonderland, or Cherry Hill Plaza. Northland and Eastland, in the 50's-60's, were considered upscale.

Miketoronto
Username: Miketoronto

Post Number: 709
Posted on Sunday, October 28, 2007 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where most of the stores when these malls opened, chains, or more local Detroit only places? Just wondering.

Are they going to be holding a huge party though? You would think the mall would play up 50 years pretty big.

D2dyeah
Username: D2dyeah

Post Number: 75
Posted on Sunday, October 28, 2007 - 8:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It seems like the cast of stores are the "Detroit Regulars". Hudson's really had the monopoly on designer and high end items. Stores like Winkelman's and Van Horn Men's Wear were nice, but moderate in price, and were all around the city.

Mallory
Username: Mallory

Post Number: 210
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 9:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of open air malls, I always liked going to Wonderland when I was a kid. I still have vivid memories. Then along came Westland and that was all the rage.

Speaking of Westland, is it the city named after a mall or a mall named after a city? Just kidding. My ex is from Wasteland.

Catman_dude
Username: Catman_dude

Post Number: 248
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 9:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was the one who put the story of how Westland, the city, was named after the mall in Wikipedia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W estland%2C_Michigan

Seattle's Northgate may be the first mall but Northland is the first *enclosed* mall. Eastland followed three years later.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6731
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 9:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's a pitty that Wards 2 floor store in Eastland went out of businesses just 7 years ago and so did the Eastland theater. Eastland Mall still survive with a new food court, Sears, Smith and Barney's K and G Clothier and it lured a lot of shoppers. Once a hot spot for folks from the 5 snobbyvilles is now a hot spot for mostly African Americans.

Imhere
Username: Imhere

Post Number: 35
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I worked in the Food court when it 1st opened. I was there for 4 years till I left for a better job.

I hadn't been in the mall for almost 6 years when I decided to stop there a couple months ago just to look around.

Seemed like most of the stores I knew were gone. There were a few that are still there, but most were different.

I saw some of the pictures displayed from the mall's past and brought back some memories.

Sharms
Username: Sharms

Post Number: 28
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was looking at the list of original tenants at Eastland and I LOVED Brothers Restaurant. There was one at Northland as well. My dad was the General Manager of Hudsons Eastland store when it opened. He worked a lot of nights so my mom and I would meet him once a week at Brothers for dinner. My first taste of NY style deli.

Kville
Username: Kville

Post Number: 85
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 5:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Am I missing something or am I mistaken, but Sanders had a store in Eastland that I thought was part of the original lineup. It's not included in the list above. Did it perhaps open shortly after the shopping center did? That store with cafeteria in the basement was always a regular stop for us.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 2023
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 6:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Any photos of the old open mall anyone?"

Thats what Im saying - how they can show old photos as part of an anniversary and not show the original configuration is beyond me.

Am I wrong that Eastland was essentially the first mall the in the USA ? I know construction stalled and Northland was finished first, but it was Eastland that originally broke ground.

They do have a few of those nail shops with the hmong employees - the kind where the toxic fumes take the wind out of you three stores before you pass the nail shop.

Heres my grandfathers photos from right after the mall opened, including the Sanders store:

http://www.detroitfunk.com/200 7/06/malls_and_missile_launche rs.html

Catman_dude

Post Number: 250
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 9:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mauser, I had thought that Northgate Mall in Seattle was the first mall in USA and Northland was the first *enclosed* mall. But this is what Wikipedia has to say:

"In North America, the term shopping mall is usually applied to enclosed retail structures (and may be abbreviated to simply mall) while shopping centre usually refers to open-air retail complexes......However, the concept of the fully-enclosed shopping mall did not appear until the 1950s....This new generation, that were eventually called malls, included Northgate Mall, built in north Seattle, Washington, USA in 1950, Victor Gruen's Northland Shopping Center built near Detroit, Michigan, USA in 1954, and Gulfgate in Houston were all originally open-air pedestrian shopping centers that later were enclosed as malls. The first enclosed, postwar shopping center (or mall) was the Gruen-designed Southdale Center, which opened in the Twin Cities suburb of Edina, Minnesota, USA in 1956. As equally important as the enclosed aspect of these new malls was that for the first time in the development of American cities, these malls moved retailing away from the dense, commercial downtown into the new sprawling and largely residential suburbs. This formula--enclosed space with stores attached, away from downtown, and accessible only by automobile--became a popular way to build retail across the world at different moments."

Catman_dude

Post Number: 251
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 9:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DeadMalls.com has several articles on Detroit area malls that are/were dying (or dead in the case of Wonderland Mall):

Livonia Mall: Livonia (Detroit), MI
Northland Center Mall: Southfield (Detroit), MI
Summit Place Mall / Pontiac Mall: Waterford, MI
Universal Mall / Universal City: Warren, MI
Wonderland Mall: Livonia (Detroit), MI

To read the Northland Mall account, you'll have to copy the shortcut, paste in the address bar, add ".html" without the quotes to the end of the shortcut, hit enter.

Onthe405
Username: Onthe405

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As a kid, I spent countless hours at Eastland. I could fill this whole web page with memories, as I had a fascination with retailing/marketing from a young age.

I can still recall retailers off the top of my head that are not listed on the 10/28 Ed_golick posting from the initial opening in 1957.

As is the case with most shopping centers, I'm sure the stores opened gradually over the course of a few years.

There was a substantial real estate (& overall) recession in the late 50's, and that may have also slowed the leasing process a bit, although the mass exodus to the suburbs was already well underway.

A few stores that were definitely tenants by the early 1960s:

B. SIEGEL (large 2-story building)

STOUFFER'S restaurant (years before the frozen food spinoff!)

SANDERS (as previously mentioned)

ROBINSON'S FURNITURE

EASTLAND FRUIT & NUT HOUSE (dried fruits & nuts)

Also, a trivial footnote: back in the 50s/60s HUGHES & HATCHER was known as HUGHES, HATCHER, SUFFRIN

Elimarr
Username: Elimarr

Post Number: 23
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I did post a version of this on an earlier thread...

In the 70's, my friend's mom worked at the watch repair shop in the Concourse below Hudson's. We spent whole Saturdays exploring the shopping center. We liked to try on the fashions at Zodeen's and, strangely enough, we also went to Englander Triangle furniture store to imagine what we would furnish our homes with once we were grown. One day we found the giant storage closet where Hudson's kept their mannequins, and it was dark and spooky.
We used to like to go to Mary Jane Shoes because they had a FREE jukebox in what was sort of a "teen alcove" in the back.
When we got snacks it was either a hot pretzel w/mustard or a frozen banana (from...??? What was THAT little shop called? Was it the Fruit & Nut House? It was more or less by itself facing the 8 mile parking lot.)
Because of my friend's mom being an employee, one year the two of us were recruited to help with an Easter promotion. We were teens and we were given the job to hand out Easter coloring books & crayons. We wore SATIN BUNNY SUITS. Don't even picture anything like a Playboy Bunny; these were not at all revealing, more like jumpsuits. The funniest part was they did have giant papier-mache rabbits heads to go with the ensembles and my friend tried hers out...man, the little toddlers screamed when they saw that head! She took it off right away and we wore some satin hats with ears instead.
I still like to tell people that I worked as a bunny, and just leave it at that.

Onthe405

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stouffer's Eastland dining room circa early 1960s

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1920
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastland aerial 1961

wsu/culma

Eastland 1961

Ed_golick

Post Number: 845
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Article from March 1958 THE EASTLAND CENTER NEWS
www.detroitkidshow.com/stouffe rs.jpg

Onthe405

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As a child, I recall my mother allowing me to kneel on the slate edge of this fountain pool in order to play with the lilypads and watch the goldfish.

I remember at as being burnished copper. This image may have been when it was still brand new before the weather tarnished it.

The former JL Hudson store to the right still looks pretty much the same today.

What I could never figure out is why Eastland proprieters sold off (or trashed?) everything but the "lion & mouse" artwork when they enclosed it. Why couldn't they have incorporated it into the revised design?

Miketoronto
Username: Miketoronto

Post Number: 726
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So what all these originial malls like now? We know about Eastland and Northland. But what about Westland and Southland? Are they still as populat as ever, or have they also fallen into a decline?

Detroitrise

Post Number: 406
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Like Eastland and Northland, Westland and Southland are still chugging along. Every single one of them have seen better days though. However, I do think the SW malls are fairing a bit better though because they didn't see a big shift in the shoppers like Eastland and Northland.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 407
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"So what all these originial malls like now?"

Oh, and just to point out, that's a major pun (and an oxymoron depending on who you ask).

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 127
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

from virtual city wsu

http://dlxs.lib.wayne.edu/cgi/ i/image/image-idx?sid=1969cef6 4f78a1add48e57a0bafc0b90&q1=ea stland&rgn1=vmc_ti&op2=And&q2= &rgn2=vmc_ti&type=boolean&med= 1&view=thumbnail&c=vmc

Eastside_man
Username: Eastside_man

Post Number: 24
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How many times has the mouse been stolen off the lion, And have any of them ever surfaced after being stolen.

Jjaba

Post Number: 5590
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Ed Golick for the great news clipping about Eastland the attached graveyard joke.
That was an amazing connection with Cadillac and the Mayor of the town in which he was buried.

jjaba, Westsider.

Ed_golick

Post Number: 857
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 6:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba saying nice things about the east side???
Here's a photo, circa 1957, of Eastland's Grand Court. On stage in the center of the photo is WJBK's Sagebrush Shorty and Skinny Dugan, promoting Back-to-School Week.

www.detroitkidshow.com/eland.j pg

Dhugger
Username: Dhugger

Post Number: 227
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 7:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Used to go to Eastland with my mother as a small child. When the mall was an outdoor space.

On the SEARS Monday specials she would push me to the front of the crowd to grab what ever was on sale.

Then I would climb the brass lion out side and be rewarded with a 'Hot Fudge Cream Puff' at the lunch counter at Sander's Ice Cream.

Ahhh....pleasant memories.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 633
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chris Rock: The thing that makes me most happy is doing stand up. Being on the road, on tour, checking out America. There's no more America. Remember when we were kids it was America? You go see your grandma, go to her little town? There's no more little towns, it's all malls. All malls and they're all the same. The same mall St. Louis is the same mall in Detroit. Got the same Gap, Banana Republic, Chest King, Sunglasses Hut, all the same crap. And every town's got two malls: they got the white mall, and the mall white people used to go to. 'Cause there ain't nothing in the black mall. Nothing in the black mall but sneakers and baby clothes.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt02 55574/quotes

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6427
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 10:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's how it was supposed to be...

http://internationalmetropolis .com/?p=88

Onthe405

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 9:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Aiw for the link to the original Gruen/Krummeck design. The idealized vision of 50's "modernity" is straight out of "The Jetsons". Great stuff.

Just look at Eastland today or Hall Rd in Clinton/Sterling/Shelby and you'll see a perfect example of how "Everything old is new again".

The original proposed design is much closer to the suburban "big box" retail configuration we see today. The focus is on the automobile, and how close the patron can park it to the destination store.

The final Eastland plan was drastically different than the original in that it was much more pedestrian-friendly. Although parking was plentiful, the focus was an attempt to create a "substitute" for a real downtown, where all the retail is within a stroll after parking.

Hudson's was visionary in choosing the final design, as their full-line department store was the focal point in the shopping center. The peripheral stores provided a vital service as specialty shops that complemented & supplemented Hudson's merchandise selection. The smaller stores were guaranteed foot traffic & potential patrons when the shoppers were on their way to Hudson's.

This isn't as true today. People parking & shopping at Home Depot are much less likely to browse at Circuit City if it's at the other end of the shopping center, than they would if they had to walk by Circuit City in order to get to Home Depot.

The death of many downtowns, the birth of the shopping center, the advent & demise of the enclosed mall, and the transition to "big box" and online shopping: it's amazing how retail has cycled from one trend to another in just a few generations.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 506
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"This isn't as true today. People parking & shopping at Home Depot are much less likely to browse at Circuit City if it's at the other end of the shopping center, than they would if they had to walk by Circuit City in order to get to Home Depot."

Now I know you're not talking about Eastland. There's not a Circuit City anywhere within that area.

Carm
Username: Carm

Post Number: 67
Posted on Saturday, November 10, 2007 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a Circuit City on the property. It closed in the last year or so. It was over by the Home Depot.

Jjaba

Post Number: 5597
Posted on Saturday, November 10, 2007 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ed golick #857 shows that jjaba can say nice things about the Eastside.

Maybe it helps that jjaba's Italian girlfriend on Fleetwood St. in Harper Woods was a real jewel.
She loved Eastland.

jjaba, Proudly Westside.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 571
Posted on Saturday, November 10, 2007 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"There was a Circuit City on the property. It closed in the last year or so. It was over by the Home Depot."

Yeah, I know that. I used to shop at that location. It was shuttered over the summer. I typed that comment with irony.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2566
Posted on Saturday, November 10, 2007 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastside_man:

The original Mouse has surfaced, under a promise of anonymity, and given to the Detroit Historical Museum earlier this summer. After being exhibited there, it will be given to the Marshall Fredericks Sculpture Museum at Saginaw Valley State University.

From the Detroit News:
Prodigal mouse returns: Pilfered icon back at mall after 50-year trip
http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070706/OPINION03/707060395/1038/LIFESTYLE01

Here's a photo I took of the mouse on display at the Historical Museum in September:

mouse

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 196
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The first strip mall in the United States, was located at E.Warren and Conner.

Lefty2

Post Number: 672
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

first strip mall on connor/warren, no shit, any pictures, this is interesting.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 643
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^And still is there and vibrant. Possibly oe of the largest hot spots for retail within the city (beisdes 7 Mile/Gratiot and 7 Mile/Livernois.

Lefty2

Post Number: 675
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i'll have to take a second look i didn't know it is was still there, wow.

Ed_golick

Post Number: 863
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lefty2,
How old is it? Where did you get your information?

Living_in_the_d
Username: Living_in_the_d

Post Number: 134
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, With the boat load of memories from Eastland, One in particular stands out. Joe Dimaggio was signing autographs that summer day in 1984, So I went and got a Mrs. Robinson 45, by Simon and Garfunkel, For Him to sign. When I got up there , He took a long look at and finally signed it, So I pushed my luck, and asked if He would sign the Jacket too, Joe said " Sayyy, what are you trying to pull kid?", And then one of His bodyguards came over to see what was up, and took one look at the record, and then at Joe, and in unison said " yeah, its the hippie guys song." Anyway He signed it. Later after his death, I learned in Time magazine, that He thought that Simon and Garfunkel were making fun of Him. And that explained it all.