Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Good Old Mackenzie High School « Previous Next »
Archive through September 14, 2007Chuckjav30 09-14-07  9:03 pm
Archive through October 04, 2007Ray193630 10-04-07  11:20 am
Archive through October 06, 2007Gazhekwe30 10-06-07  9:20 pm
Archive through October 16, 2007Chuckjav30 10-16-07  1:27 pm
Archive through November 11, 2007Birwood30 11-11-07  12:25 pm
Archive through November 22, 2007Ray193630 11-22-07  1:18 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2291
Posted on Saturday, November 24, 2007 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Two great photos of the MHS auditorium, thanks to Tom. There was some wonderful music heard in this space in days gone by.

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 667
Posted on Saturday, November 24, 2007 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray: These pics look exactly like Denby's auditorium...thanks for posting...DPS must have had one set of drawings...just thought I'd mention cuz I knew your better half was a TAR at one point.

Ray1936

Post Number: 2292
Posted on Saturday, November 24, 2007 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, she was, blue. First two years there, last two at Allen Park HS.

Awesome auditoriums, I think.

9936sussex
Username: 9936sussex

Post Number: 42
Posted on Saturday, November 24, 2007 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sang a lot from that stage during my tenure at Mack. I was in Mixed Ensemble and Choir. Even played piano in a talent show my sophmore year.

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 672
Posted on Saturday, November 24, 2007 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray: Really rare to see a high school with those kinds of auditoriums anymore...saw one in private school in Monterrey, Mexico recently...and had one in one of our schools in Huntsville (AL)...but don't see them often...we were lucky to have attended those kinds of schools...it sounds like they were literally professional sound stages...my tin ear couldn't tell so I listen to pros like 9936.

Birwood
Username: Birwood

Post Number: 50
Posted on Sunday, November 25, 2007 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray1936 Great Pictures, THANK YOU.
Brings back some memories. I worked Stage Crew on many productions had a lot of fun all behind the scenes.
Sussex9936 guess who shooting the squirtgun when you guys were doing your rehersals, or would drag the fake mouse across stage in front of the risers using fishing line or deliberate pin point with one of the follow spots from the top of projection room, certain anatomical body parts on certain females members on stage or just blind them. It was during the play rehersals we discovered that the Drama Coach and some of the cast members DID NOT have a sense of humor But I had a great time on stage crew.

Ray1936

Post Number: 2298
Posted on Sunday, November 25, 2007 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd heard rumors that the stage crew was a great bunch of jokers, but never knew it for a fact until that post, Birwood. LOL!

9936sussex

Post Number: 43
Posted on Sunday, November 25, 2007 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Birwood: Ha ha sounds as if you guys had a lot more fun than we were having.

Ray1936

Post Number: 2300
Posted on Sunday, November 25, 2007 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just for the heck of it I put those two photos together. They were shot at slightly different angles, so they don't line up perfectly, and I had to shrink considerably to meet Lowell's size requirement. But here it is.

Mackenzie auditorium

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 98
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 1:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

while i work for a suburban school district, i can say that you won,t see nothing like that being built again. it,s a shame that school had to close.

9936sussex

Post Number: 44
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 6:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree Reddog....It really was a nice facility. We had a choir room that was tiered, there were small practice rooms with pianos. I loved the two story library--just very cool.

Ray1936

Post Number: 2302
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On December 7, my wife and I have tickets for Andre' Rieu and his Strauss Orchestra, which I'm looking forward to greatly. Unfortunately, it's being held at the Orleans Arena, which is sort of like the Joe Louis Arena without all the stairs.

I had the thought just now on how great they would have sounded in that Mackenzie Auditorium.

Sigh.

Msamslex
Username: Msamslex

Post Number: 17
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can't remember what year it was but we had to go to the auditorium for an "assembly". The Blue Pigs came to play for the school and everybody was screaming and dancing. I believe they "covered" whatever the popular records were at the time and the cops in their uniforms had all the girls hollering.

Mother_earth
Username: Mother_earth

Post Number: 29
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray 1936...thanks for putting the pictures together. Now its looks like the auditorium I remember. I was having difficulty recognizing it, until you did that. Lets face it, Mackenzie is and was a beautiful building.

9936sussex

Post Number: 45
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 8:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of my other favorite things was all that great tile in the area of the office/where the trophy cases were. Was it Pewabic? I just remember being really impressed when I saw that for the first time. I also liked the labs--there was the large "laboratory" with a smaller, tiered room for lectures. Mr. Moore and that little room "almost" made me like chemistry.

Ray1936

Post Number: 2308
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, I remember the tile as being most impressive. I also recall wondering what most of the trophies were for, but I don't think I ever examined them closely. Was a bunch of them, there was.

I used to grump about all the signs for the candidates for student office. Thought they were nothing but ugly clutter. Today I grump about political signs all over. Some things change. Some don't. :-)

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 325
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hip-Hip Hooray for Ray1936....an excellent posting of our glorious auditorium.

Yes indeed...the nostalgia of good old Mackenzie High School; some of those trophies dated back to the 1930s.

The most impressive included a Boys Basketball City Championship from the late 1940s, a Baseball City Championship in 1975, a Girls Track & Field State Championship in 1978, and a Boys Basketball State Championship in 1979 (Mackenzie celebrated it's 50th Anniversary Year in fine style).

The Stags won another Boys Basketball City Championship in the early 80's - just can't quite pinpoint the year.

Although there isn't a trophy, Mackenzie was voted the State's Top Football Team of 1944 by Michigan Sports Writers - Go Stags!

I just bought a 1966 Stag on eBay - quite a year at Mackenzie

(Message edited by chuckjav on November 28, 2007)

9936sussex

Post Number: 47
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 7:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chuckjav: Many a fine photos in that issue....Everybody looks SO dressed up....If you were to go to a high school today, I would venture to guess that even the teachers don't get dressed up like that anymore. I must admit that I miss that...There's a lot of casualness in today's world.

Chuckjav

Post Number: 326
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 5:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

9936sussex....I agree; the mode of dress was the first thing that caught my eye. I had not looked through the '66 Stag since the early 70s; it was nice to see some familiar faces.

You are right-on regarding the formality of clothing worn by the '66 students - very much akin to what you might see currently in a only a few parochial schools.

I've been working at a public high school (in SW Ohio) for the past twelve years; only a few teachers and administrators dress above the level of business-casual. As for the students - they hardly wear anything at all....and get away with it.

Ray1936

Post Number: 2323
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The dress code has blitzed out all over. Here in Las Vegas, it used to be you couldn't patronize a strip hotel/casin unless you had a tie and sport jacket, at least. Today anything goes.

In the fifties, the guys always work nice slacks and a sport shirt; the jocks all had their letter sweaters. Maybe once a week I'd sneak by in a pair of Levi's. Always new, nothing faded or ripped like today. The gals were gorgeous in their skirts and blouses.

On the other hand, now that I'm retired, I usually dress like a slob and love it. :-)

Reddog289

Post Number: 111
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 1:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

when i worked at the local high school i couldn,t belive how the kids dressed, i thought i dressed up for school, never thought of wearing pajamas to school. i hear they clamped down more recently.

Birwood

Post Number: 53
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 8:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone else remember if they a police unit assigned to MHS ?

In 66-67-68 we had an Officer John Wringler with a another officer assigned to patrol the area.
I can't recall any serious fights of incidents but we did quite a bit of drag racing on Oakman & Joy Rd area.

Ray1936

Post Number: 2365
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Never had that problem in the fifties, although I think a couple of police officers were assigned to the football games at Hammerberg field.

9936sussex

Post Number: 50
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I was there (1965-68) the Detroit Police Mounted Unit would send a couple of officers on horseback for the football games. I'm not sure if they were there for all three years, but I definitely remember seeing them at some of the games. Of course our games were right after school (I'm thinking on a Thursday).

Birwood

Post Number: 54
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sussex, I do remember the Mounted Officers at some of our Homegames, but not at all of them, it seemed only when we played the arch rivals like Northwestern or Pershing.
Ray1936 Did you chance know Officer John Wringler who worked at 14. I'm not sure if he worked 14-1 and it was just assigned the MHS detail during school hours or whether it was a boostercar, cause it was an older ratty unmarked Fury.
Actually, in senior year when he found out that several of us had made the choice to enter the military, he became very friendly and often talked with us about his DPD work

Ray1936

Post Number: 2367
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nope, didn't know him. Sounds like he was a good guy, though.

Did you guys see the article in yesterday's paper about how much of Mackenzie has been trashed in its abandonment?

Birwood

Post Number: 56
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray1936, I can't get the Detroit papers delivered here where I live.
Was that in the News or Freep, I'll check it out on line

Ray1936

Post Number: 2369
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Found it, Birwood. It was in Thursdday's Freep.
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=2007712060350

9936sussex

Post Number: 51
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 7:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Makes me very sad to read that. Wonder whatever happened to those "permanent records" teachers used to threaten us with.
"That's going into your PERMANENT record if you don't shape up!" (lol)

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1064
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 8:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I went a couple years ago to get my transcript, and they have no record of me. So I guess after 30 or 40 years, they figure who cares and lose them.

That is sad about the old school buildings. The system is so irresponsible it makes me crazy. I wonder about all those old DIAL archives Chuckjav mentioned.

Chuckjav

Post Number: 329
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 9:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have no words to express my horror.

Is there someone out there...who I may call to volunteer my time for the purpose of boarding up Mackenzie & Redford - I am truly about to lose my mind.

On a much happier note....

I'll write about the 1956 & 1960 Stag yearbooks that I recently purchased - reminders of a much happier place and time. Mackenzie didn't have much of a football program, but the swim team won a city championship in 1956; Mack's ladies were dominant in basketball, back in 1960.

All the clubs....musical ensembles....choirs - so much to do; so many happy & involved people!

I also recently purchased a January, 1930 edition of the Dial; I had no idea that elementary and intermediate grade classrooms were a part of Mackenzie back then. I guess it makes sense - in a high school that opened in September of 1928; you can't fill a building with 9th graders.

From the January, 1930 Dial:

"There is much concern over lower grade boys throwing pebbles into the ice rink behind the school; makes for a very rough skate once the water freezes over. Please refrain from such activities".

(Message edited by chuckjav on December 08, 2007)

Ray1936

Post Number: 2370
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"All the clubs....musical ensembles....choirs - so much to do; so many happy & involved people!"

Last night my wife and I attended a wonderful concert at the Orleans Arena here in Las Vegas (Andre' Rieu and his Strauss Orchestra). It was a magnificent three hours of music, and I was reminded of the superb Christmas and Spring concerts the Mackenzie music department put on every year. I also had a brief thought that the acoustics in that arena couldn't match Mackenzie's auditorium, but nevertheless I enjoyed Rieu tremendously.

The program? Nice mix of classics, Christmas, and Andrew Lloyd Webber. Also Ravel's 'Bolero' that had the rafters shaking at the end.

Reddog289

Post Number: 125
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 3:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

found that article in the freep, as a custodian in a suburban district i don,t think i,d want to even go near one of my schools had it closed down. that is a shame, things like that show that things are grossly mismanaged.

Birwood

Post Number: 59
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray1936 Thank you the Freep address, good article but depressing to see the building in disrepair.

Sussex I remember Mr Buck, the Ass't Principle telling myself and 2 other running buddies that it would happen.
Funny thing is that, nowhere is ever mentioned in any background checks on me that I got kicked out of Catholic HS in 9th grade.

9936sussex

Post Number: 53
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Birwood: I remember being MORTIFIED that I could do something and it would follow me for the REST OF MY LIFE! It was probably some kind of "inside joke" for teachers. By the by, whatever happened to MR. Buck? I don't think I ever saw him smile!

Birwood

Post Number: 60
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sussex, I think if Mr Buck smiled lightning would have struck in dead. He was the original Mr Stoneface and your right I can't ever remember him smiling

Ray1936

Post Number: 2372
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess Mr. Buck came after 'my time', but we had a few Stonefaces in my day, also. Had a Latin teacher by the name of Helen Kane, who in her earlier life had been a nun. We called her class "Sister Kane's Bible Hour".

God, that woman was sour. But I was never so happy to get a "C" in my life.

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 1387
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mother is a member of the Barton MacFarlane neighborhood association and they say that a few charter schools have shown interest in the building.

What really bothers me the most about this school's shutdown is the fact that the area is still populated and a lot of children were displaced. My son was a 10th grader and he has been to 2 different schools this year(Cooleythen Northwestern). There is a high incidence of school rivalry in these schools and it has lead to many unnecessary fights. Even though they have "police" stations in the schools, i don't think closing the school was in the districts best interests.

Ray1936

Post Number: 2551
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree, Broken main, but economics are stark reality sometimes. I'm truly saddened that the school has closed. So many memories; but then perhaps I'm being selfish.

Broken_main

Post Number: 1388
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray, there was no need to close this school. I grew up in this neighborhood since 1968. My mother and my extended family live in close proximity.

There are some residents who have given up on the DPS because of this and the DPS student population is a more of a loss. The feeder schools in the district(MacFarlane Elementary, Sherrill Elementary, and Barton) are full.

It seems that they are so focused on the Mayors "Dream" areas(Gardenview to be specific)and are not looking at the whole picture. The Aviation Subdivision has always been a premier neighborhood and this school served this area. It just puzzles me as to what was considered in their decision to close THIS school. A lot of residents feel the same way that i do

Broken_main

Post Number: 1391
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great News for the neighborhood!
I have spoke with my mother today and she said that just last week the Mackenzie High School Building was bought last week by a group(unknown. I had heard that a charter school was looking for a building to house a K-12 school.

Birwood

Post Number: 63
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Broken_main I would bet if the DPS as well as other governmental (city, state and federal) agencies would eliminate all of their do nothing bureaucratic positions created as a favor owed someone, we would have money to keep many programs running and schools open. My younger brother still works in DFD, 30 yrs, and a brother in law in PLD, 24 yrs, and they tell horror stories of how there is no money, mismanagement

Broken_main

Post Number: 1393
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 7:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, My mother(retired DPS teacher, Mackenzie) tells of the mismanagement and all of the corruption in the DPS. What still bothers me is that fact that they rehabbed all of these schools and awarded these lucrative contracts to these venomous contractors, only later to close the school and then have the same contractors come rip out, or should i say rip off, the same schools.

Pathetic!

Reddog289

Post Number: 203
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 1:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i heard a story that one of the schools in my area had the boilers replaced, then it was closed and torn down within a year. goes back to that article in the freep, someone wasn,t doing their job and the person looking after them was blind. glad to hear that there is hope for your school yet.

Broken_main

Post Number: 1400
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 6:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Red,

That has happened more times than you think. I work with a guy who was layed off by the board and he was offered a job to return. He stuck it out with us because he didn't like the direction they were headed. His wife is a Principal at a school. She tries to always do what is in the best interest of the student but at times the politics get in the way.

Ray1936

Post Number: 2561
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Broken main, keep us informed on any news about that purchase of the building. I'd love to see it turned into a charter school. Wonder if it would keep the name?

Reddog289

Post Number: 208
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 1:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i myself should not talk too much about the schools, wanna keep my mip money. a charter would help keep that building around so ray&chuckjav [if he,s still out there] can see it when they visit.

Chuckjav

Post Number: 340
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 5:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello my Friends....Chuckjav checking in with you.

I was very pleased to hear the good news about Mackenzie; very much looking forward to visiting the school once our swimming and diving season concludes in late February.

Broken_main

Post Number: 1404
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray...

I will do that. I am glad that someone has noticed that the building is a jewel. I, too, would love for them to keep the name as well. Mackenzie High School is one helluva building and I can only hope that whoever just purchased it does the right thing.

Chuckjav

Post Number: 341
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Broken_main...Chuckjav here (MHS, Class of 1976) - hoping for additional information on the recent purchase of the former Mackenzie High School.

Is there any more news to share?

Chuckjav

Post Number: 566
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

THIS JUST IN......

Mackenzie Alumni Association
Presents it's 14th Annual
"All Classes Picnic"

Sunday, June 29th 2008
(Last Sunday in June)
10:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m.

Hammerberg Field
Next to Mackenzie High School
(Wyoming at West Chicago)

BYOB - Each Class is encouraged to erect a canopy or tent; provide table & chairs, etc.

Please bring your children, friends and relatives!

Mackenzie68
Username: Mackenzie68

Post Number: 18
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Reminder, picnic on Sunday!

Reddog289

Post Number: 410
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 4:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Almost drove by Mackenzie on friday, got turned around due to the storm. Hope all you Stags have a good picnic.

Chuckjav

Post Number: 595
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thousands in attendance for the annual all-classes reunion at Mackenzie High School (Sunday, June 29); I took my family along for the festivities.

We started out on school grounds; the entire first floor of the building is reasonably secure.
Doors are welded shut, reinforced steel shutters cover all ground level windows. The school board did not authorize any sort of security system for upper level windows - there is evidence of trespassing. We did observe storm water flooding within the building; clogged drainage systems/broken & open (upper level) windows are to blame. Perhaps a missing pipe...or two?

Otherwise...in fairness to the board and with thanks to Mackenzie's supporters, the building and campus appear to be in very good condition.
Mackenzie's football/track and field stadium is absolutely beautiful; I know that area football & track teams make use of the facility - made me feel good to see that Mackenzie lives on in that regard.

After inspecting the grounds, it was Hammerberg Time!

The massive reunion festival was taking place on the athletic facility formerly known as Hammerberg Field, at the c/o West Chicago and Wyoming.

Words cannot describe the joy; suffice to say...it was mind-boggling to walk with so many Mackenzie-Loving People.

I sure do Love Mackenzie!

Chuckjav

Post Number: 704
Posted on Friday, September 05, 2008 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Posted for your enjoyment; 27 photographs of Mackenzie High School:

http://www.detroitstockphotos. com/Production/PhotoGroupView. aspx?pbid=4&msa=1&pgid=1757245 5