Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Upper Class Black Neighborhood « Previous Next »
Archive through September 04, 2007Jt130 09-04-07  5:33 pm
Archive through September 04, 2007Monahan56830 09-04-07  8:47 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9937
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 9:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

your saying that black people don't have racial feeling towards white people how can you make this claim or generalization if your white.

I'm not saying this is the case but your seeming claims that you are treated lesser nearly everywhere in the city is just silly.

There are racist black people just as there are racist white people. What is funny is that you must run into only racist black people. You certainly are unlucky.

So tell me about this 'black experience' or 'black culture' again. Tell me why people talk so much about black people as a singular entity (as you have many times) but that is not done for whites.

quote:

let me guess the guy in the loft next to you is black and you sometimes get his copy of ebony

Never read ebony but your attempt at humor is about as pitiful as your attempt to discuss racial matters without your bias coming through crystal clear.

I am still waiting to get an explanation of black culture since you seem to think that there is a singular black culture that describes blacks in the city.

Your bias comes through crystal clear in your posts so I can only wonder how it comes through in your interactions with black people.

Monahan568
Username: Monahan568

Post Number: 206
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i thought it was pretty funny (you know the whole loft and ebony thing)

Jt1

Post Number: 9938
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

i thought it was pretty funny (you know the whole loft and ebony thing

OK, I'll give you that.

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 204
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"jewish students are usually high achievers how about other racial groups."

what are you debating that, Jt1? I'll show you the proof you want...come to my next North Farmington High School class reunion...you can be my date.

Jt1

Post Number: 9939
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 10:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

"jewish students are usually high achievers how about other racial groups."

what are you debating that, Jt1? I'll show you the proof you want...come to my next North Farmington High School class reunion...you can be my date.

My point was about proof as opposed to saying 'FACT'. You may be right but I like to see numbers when people make claims that can be quantified.

I suspect that, given the school the non jewish population probably did pretty well also

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 335
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pottery Barn = White People Magnet.

For some reason, that has me ROTFLMAO. I always wondered why I inexplicably kept going towards Somerset mall with the urge for home accessories... and now, I know why. It's my destiny to accessorize my home with warm wood tones.

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1543
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So wait, upscale neighborhoods are defined by the retail present?

Oakmangirl
Username: Oakmangirl

Post Number: 269
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Digital,

Glad someone appreciates my sarcasm! I "go" for their "forged" iron wall sconces, myself.

Michigan
Username: Michigan

Post Number: 1066
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL Dig and OMG. Unfortunately there is more truth there then we would like!

Humanmachinery
Username: Humanmachinery

Post Number: 78
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

And Gazheke to add to your point. Many people point out how Southfield is going downhill yet it is a much wealthier city (2000) than it was in 1990).

According to SEMCOG numbers it seems that the increase in wealth in S'Field has outpaced inflation (guessing since I didn't run the numbers) yet many will swear that it has gone downhill.

Wonder why?

I've seen the same sort of disconnect. Several hung-up white people (such as my parents) keep on telling me that Southfield is turning into a "ghetto nightmare," but I have yet to see any rundown neighborhoods, and rarely hear of crime there. I occasionally go to Nikola's to eat, and while the clientelle is largely black, they're also buppies.

What sort of white person is scared of black people who can't dance and wear cardigan sweaters?

Kaptansolo
Username: Kaptansolo

Post Number: 210
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do not have any proof of "numbers" but I think it sounds right. I think Jewish students are usually high achievers in academics.

I stayed at either the Ramada Inn or the Holiday Inn on 9 Mile(I think that is where it was) this was in 1991. I could not believe a few things.

1.) it was Southfield
2.) it was a high rise
3.) it was a complete dump

Something definitely happened in Southfield.

Kaptansolo
Username: Kaptansolo

Post Number: 211
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You know...I was just thinking it about it. I say this lightly but I think there is a lot of truth in this.

Remember-"it's a black thing, you wouldn't understand".

I think whatever the reason for white people wanting to not really be around too many black people, Indians, Asians, Mexicans or anybody else...well I think the answer lies in-"it's a white thing, you would not understand".

I think that white people have their own style and their own interests. There always people from other cultures and races that may participate in something that is labeled by a "color" that does not belong to them but we are adults here...I think that we can establish that certain things are "white style" because as a rule when you see it done most of the time it is mostly white people participating.
You do not catch too many Black people or other groups "line dancing" or square dancing. Mountain climbing or auto racing.

The money is tied to them so much, I think that is why when they leave it is an issue. When they leave, the value goes down. When they leave...there goes the money.
If the money was not tied to them so much...I do not think even a lot of the posts here would be so race based if the money was not synonymous with them.

(Message edited by Kaptansolo on September 05, 2007)

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 339
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep, Humanmachinery. More of that deadly codespeak, and it has become so pervasive that everyone believes it. Generated by white flight, believed and nurtured by everyone, the myth becomes reality as demand for existing housing falls.

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 217
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 1:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

check out the neighborhood below 7 mile....Fordham and Celestine

Cmubryan
Username: Cmubryan

Post Number: 455
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 2:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That Ramada lost it's "Ramada" franchise and has since closed and is a highrise abandoned building in the middle of Southfield. What a shame! It's sister hotel now the "Plaza Hotel" on JL Hudson Dr adjacent to Northland is on it's way out. I drove by there this weekend and it's condition is slowly falling into disrepair and the clientele is definitely not high society. These were two four diamond, four star hotels in the 70s along with Stouffer Northland Inn which closed years ago and has been demolished. The fact that Southfield went from having these gems to completely losing them signifies what happens when white flight takes hold of an area in Metro Detroit.

What a shame how Southfield, especially the south end has lost all of it's prosperity. I worked in a community in Southfield from 2006-2007 and crime was definitely an issue. Not violent crime like murder or rape but car vandalism, car theft and even a couple break-ins and hold ups happened. It wasn't out of control but I would guess that it was higher than average. I was born and raised in Southfield until I was 9, our house (on the north end) was even broken into a couple times and this was back in the 80s and 90s. The elementary schools recently had to purchase surveillance cameras-not for the students but because parents' behavior has become such an issue (according to an article I read in the Southfield Eccentric).

I love Southfield because it's such a diverse suburb, not only in people but in architecture, landforms, etc. I just hate for it to fall to disinvestment, flight, crime, etc. because people can't learn to live together.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6474
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 6:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cmubryan

Southfield is now black dominant, but not yet a ghetto. It's was once Jewish dominant until they sold most of their homes to middle income blacks. White flight from Southfield is has been going on for 25 years and it cause population in decrease to 39%. But black folks in Southfield are taking pride in their communities. Its don't see any abandoned houses when I was walking down there and their school district is still in good shape. Middle income black folks want to keep Southfield as a bedroom pleasantville atmosphere and they don't want to Detroit mess over there.

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 139
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 7:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Southfield was reported to be the highest-crime city in Oakland county, worse than Pontiac.I partially blame the loss of the Jewish community.
They value cultural pride, family, and community. They don't want to ruin the image of any of those.They enforce things. Neighborhood noise is kept to a minimum. I don't think in Huntington Woods or the Jewish neighborhoods off Maple in West Bloomfield you'll find noisy drunk people, fights breaking out at juvenile parties, or drag racing.The neighborhoods are too closely knit and well-connected to let rowdiness get out of hand,which happens just about everywhere else (IE Royal Oak, Warren,Waterford etc.).Theres so many buisnesses and parking lots that theft-auto theft in particular-will be increased.
The other problem is age. Much of Southfields subdivisions were completed in the 70s. West Bloomfield continued to grow through the 90's.Southfields housing was contemporary and modern 30 years ago.Now its a bit dated.That will affect property values. Any development now in Southfield is infill housing.The jews have taken their closely-knit, family-oriented community to W.B. into newer, more modern housing.The really moneyed blacks are following them there.Southfield is showing its age and can't compete as well.I believe Southfield offers better schools and definitely better police and city services then Detroit.You can still get a lot of house for the money.I still consider Southfield upscale, but not to the same extent as the municipalities the old residents moved to.I feel the same thing is happenning to Sterling Heights and its excessive quantity of late-60s Ranches and quad-levels.
Another problem with Southfield is its endless supply of Apartments. Not exactly intended for long-term residency.With the amount of temporary/short-term housing in the city, theres a lack of the stability needed to keep a neighborhood strong.Basically, a strong sense of community is missing.At least when the Jewish community was in Southfield, there was a real tight group to balance off the rental scene.
No, im not Jewish, but I recognize that they can keep their neighborhoods very orderly and solid, and believe that is what Southfield has lost out on.

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 348
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 7:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

<i>noisy drunk people, fights breaking out at juvenile parties, or drag racing.</>

None of that where I live -- In Southfield.

"dated" housing. I agree, people are sure interested in the latest everything, no matter the cost. Some of the housing here remains amszingly upscale, indoor swimming pool, anyone? It's funny, no community can rebuild all it's housing stock every thirty years, just for fashion's sake.

Frumoasa
Username: Frumoasa

Post Number: 56
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My parents are from Southfield and have lived in 2 different homes in 2 areas of the city, one home was at 10 mile and Inkster and the other at 12 and Southfield. Southfield is not perfect, the taxes are high no doubt and lots of people send their children to other school districts through schools of choice, but overall it is by my direct observation a safe, diverse place with good city services. For example: I was at my parents house when a neighbor had begun to have chest pains. We called 911 for him and within 1 minute after hanging up the phone, I could hear the ambulance sirens. That wouldn't happen so promptly in my area in my own observation. In their 22 years of Southfield property ownership, they have had one break-in. It was committed by a neighborhood kid who got away with a VCR and some jewelry that was promptly recovered by the Southfield police. That incident occurred in 1988. When I am at my parents' house, i love walking the neighborhood, and many people wave and say hi. There are a variety of neighbors of varying professions, incomes and cultures. I think it's a nice place to be.

Jt1

Post Number: 10094
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Southfield was reported to be the highest-crime city in Oakland county,

Incorrect. Auburn Hills had the highest crime rate in OC. Per 2005 stats the following cities had higher crime rates that southfield:

Mackinac Island
Fruitport
Birch Run
Muskegon Heights
Harper Woods
Grand Beach
Benton Township
Decatur
Flint3
Detroit3
Three Rivers
Hamtramck
Muskegon
Newaygo
Flint Township
Jackson
Saginaw
Kalamazoo
Kalkaska
Battle Creek
Ypsilanti
Clare
White Cloud
Gaylord
Bangor
Buena Vista Township
Utica
Auburn Hills
Hart
Muskegon Township
South Haven
Mount Morris Township

Some very small places like Mackinaw city (pop. 497) will be skewed extremely high with only a few crimes.

Here is the list of Michigan cities with highest crime rates in descending order:

Mackinac Island
Fruitport
Birch Run
Muskegon Heights
Harper Woods
Grand Beach
Benton Township
Decatur
Flint3
Detroit3
Three Rivers
Hamtramck
Muskegon
Newaygo
Flint Township
Jackson
Saginaw
Kalamazoo
Kalkaska
Battle Creek
Ypsilanti
Clare
White Cloud
Gaylord
Bangor
Buena Vista Township
Utica
Auburn Hills
Hart
Muskegon Township
South Haven
Mount Morris Township
Southfield
Grand Rapids3
Pinconning
Pontiac
Sandusky
Whitehall
Lakeview
Litchfield
Benton Harbor
Dearborn
Mount Morris
Grandville
Romulus
Emmett Township
St. Joseph
Greenville
Lincoln Park
Burton
Lansing
St. Charles
Howard City
Evart
Roseville
Niles
Lapeer
Taylor
Cadillac
Southgate
Coldwater
Bad Axe
Oak Park
Owosso
Lansing Township
Port Huron
East Tawas
Jonesville
Ludington
Springfield
Caro
Roosevelt Park
Douglas
Redford Township
Adrian
Eastpointe
Gladwin
Belleville
Portage
Walker
Madison Heights
Constantine
Norton Shores
Inkster
Buchanan
Hartford
North Branch
Hazel Park
Cheboygan
Center Line
Otsego
Bridgman
Carrollton Township
Mundy Township
Eaton Rapids
Colon
Tuscarora Township
Paw Paw
Wayne
Coleman
Belding
Kentwood
Genesee Township
Brighton
Sault Ste. Marie
Hampton Township
Ferndale
Gladstone
West Branch
Boyne City
Cedar Springs
Holland
East Jordan
Sturgis
Bay City
Grand Haven
Menominee
Alpena
Pittsfield Township
Eau Claire
Dearborn Heights
Almont
Grosse Pointe
White Pigeon
Lake Orion
Allegan
Lawton
Wixom
Hastings
Richmond
Thomas Township
Oscoda Township
Monroe
Chelsea
Westland
Charlotte
Scottville
Swartz Creek
Kalamazoo Township
Imlay City
Traverse City
Ann Arbor
Harbor Springs
Wyoming
Luna Pier
Essexville
Fremont
Clio
Morenci
Howell
Meridian Township
Laingsburg
Saginaw Township
Sand Lake
Bridgeport Township
Mackinaw City
Corunna
Iron River
Parchment
Wyandotte
Grand Blanc
Pinckney
Portland
Grayling
Petoskey
Fraser
Waterford Township
Grosse Pointe Park
Coloma Township
Sparta
Garden City
Milan
Croswell
Brown City
Big Rapids
Rockford
Plainwell
Manistee
Ishpeming
Mason
East Lansing
Brownstown Township
Northfield Township
Clinton Township
Mount Pleasant
Bloomingdale
Nashville
Marlette
Capac
Fenton
Royal Oak
Iron Mountain
Leslie
Huron Township
St. Clair Shores
Negaunee
Montague
Midland
Allen Park
Chesterfield Township
Walled Lake
Novi
Troy
Romeo
Marysville
Leoni Township
Livonia
Sumpter Township
Elk Rapids
Grand Ledge
Hillsdale
Sterling Heights
Keego Harbor
White Lake Township
St. Ignace
Unadilla Township
Lathrup Village
Frankfort
Memphis
Orchard Lake
Gibraltar
Norway
Farmington
Spring Lake-Ferrysburg
Hancock
Montrose Township
Calumet
Holly
Farmington Hills
Laurium
Birmingham
Davison
St. Johns
Hudson
Elkton
Grand Blanc Township
Lincoln Township
Fowlerville
Ionia
Chikaming Township
Central Lake
Plymouth
Blackman Township
Canton Township
Cass City
Van Buren Township
Oxford
Forsyth Township
Shelby Township
Riverview
Northville Township
Erie Township
Wayland
Yale
Blissfield
Marquette
Bloomfield Hills
Lennon
Denton Township
St. Joseph Township
Tittabawassee Township
Vassar
New Buffalo
Davison Township
Bloomfield Township
Grosse Pointe Farms
Dewitt Township
Rogers City
Flushing
Port Austin
Harbor Beach
Berrien Springs-Oronoko Township
Clawson
Berkley
Edmore
Saline
Lowell
Green Oak Township
Clayton Township
New Baltimore
Hudsonville
Houghton
North Muskegon
Richfield Township, Genesee County
Williamston
Pleasant Ridge
Grosse Pointe Woods
Richfield Township, Roscommon County
Frankenmuth
Zeeland
East Grand Rapids
Plymouth Township
Metamora Township
Algonac
Mattawan
Ironwood
Beverly Hills
Summit Township
Brooklyn/Columbia
Mayville
Gerrish Township
Napoleon Township
Carleton
Argentine Township
Waterloo Township
Tecumseh
Huntington Woods
Milford
Rockwood
Wolverine Lake
Chocolay Township
Clay Township
Somerset Township
South Lyon
Rochester
West Bloomfield Township
Bath Township
Clinton
Armada
Flushing Township
Northville
St. Louis
Franklin
Munising
Rothbury
Homer
Vicksburg
Alma
Hamburg Township
Auburn
Perry
Dewitt
Dryden Township
Spring Arbor Township
Parma-Sandstone
Frost Township
Peck
Linden
Breckenridge
Grosse Ile Township
Trenton
Kinross Township
Norvell Township
Warren7
Reading
Vernon
Prairieville Township
Madison Township
Ovid
Lapeer Township
Raisin Township
Caspian
Durand
Cambridge Township
Oakley-Brady
New Haven
Grosse Pointe Shores

Jt1

Post Number: 10095
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

PS - Ignore where Warren ranks on that list since their property crime isn't included. They chose not to report their auto theft. They are the only city in the state that doesn't report it.

Hpgrmln

Post Number: 153
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Theres no way Warren has less crime than Northville even with property crime omitted.
Auburn Hills??? Huh??? what is this based on? They're better than average in half the categories. Pontiac is worse in all categories and southfield had higher numbers in some of those.
Please cite your source

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4920
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dunno about Southfield. It isnt a slum but the majority of homes have seen better days. Many of the homes were considered to be luxury designs in the 60s, but many of these same homes still have the original roofs and windows. A while back I started an interesting thread about how outdated the office buildings are in Southfield. Some cool points were brought up.

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 449
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My neighborhood was built in the 60s, each house is different and many are architectural gems. Over the past five or ten years, many have gotten new roofs and windows, and more. I think you cannot generalize about things like that, each place should be assessed on its own merits. That being said, there are plenty of good bargains here in the housing market.

Patrick

Post Number: 4922
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The best thing about Southfield is its central location. It is closer to the airports and has several expressways running through it. Is it still diverse?

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 452
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, it is, though there are areas where steering happens.

Ray
Username: Ray

Post Number: 995
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You bitches better stay away from Mackinac Island.

Patrick

Post Number: 4924
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fuck that, you bitches better stay off of Bois Blanc!

Jt1

Post Number: 10097
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Theres no way Warren has less crime than Northville even with property crime omitted.

Property crime is the vast majority of times. That is why I stated to ignore Warren. Consider that taking away property crime this is saying that Warren has less violent crime (862 or 633 per 100,000) than all of Northville (76 total or 1190 per 100,000 residents). The ordering is basing on a crimes per 100,000 residents calculation.

The source is the reports and publications of the FBI for crime stats for 2005. 2006 are preliminary numbers and I will publich my annual analysis when they are completed in Oct/Nov timeframe. If you have issues with the numbers I suggest that you contact the FBI :-)

http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/05cius/ data/table_08.html

Jt1

Post Number: 10098
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 10:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The best thing about Southfield is its central location. It is closer to the airports and has several expressways running through it. Is it still diverse?

Per city-data.com

Races in Southfield:

Black (54.2%)
White Non-Hispanic (38.3%)
Two or more races (3.0%)
Asian Indian (1.4%)
Hispanic (1.2%)
American Indian (0.9%)
Other race (0.6%)
Chinese (0.5%)

I also listed the Semcog census numbers previously but don;t know if they are the same.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 112
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grosse Pointe representin' da criminals are out of control here.

Futurecity
Username: Futurecity

Post Number: 617
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Southfield is heading down the shitter, no doubt about it. It is the unfortunate truth. The neighborhoods, the commercial districts, all going down. Anyone who has been around Southfield 30, 20, or 10 years ago and checks it out now with open eyes can see that.

And then there are the crime statistics. If you sort the FBI 2005 Crime Report for Michigan and look at just the communities in Metro Detroit for VIOLENT CRIME, you will see that Southfield is a very violent place.

Here are Metro Detroit communities sorted by the Violent Crime Rate per 1,000 residents for 2005 in descending order:

Detroit: 23.5
Pontiac: 18.55
Hamtramck: 13.84
Southfield: 12.11
Ypsilanti: 11.11
Harper Woods: 7.09
Romulus: 6.9
Lake Orion: 6.87
Richmond: 6.49
Wayne: 6.44
Warren: 6.33
Hazel Park: 6.19
Dearborn: 5.98
Oak Park: 5.95
Eastpointe: 5.93
Ferndale: 4.15
Auburn Hills: 4.14
Redford Township: 3.98
Lincoln Park: 3.77
Clinton Township: 3.75
Keego Harbor: 3.66
Dearborn Heights: 3.62
Center Line; 3.58
Taylor: 3.56
Westland: 3.51
Southgate: 3.47
Garden City: 3.41
Northfield Township: 3.19
Roseville: 3.19
Ann Arbor: 3.15
Lathrup Village: 3.09
Pittsfield Township: 2.65
Chesterfield Township: 2.63
Madison Heights: 2.62
St. Clair Shores: 2.60
Huron Township: 2.54
Waterford Township: 2.51
Brownstown Township: 2.39
Chelsea: 2.33
Walled Lake: 2.32
Allen Park: 2.32
Sterling Heights: 2.21
Farmington Hills: 2.20
Royal Oak: 2.17
Shelby Township: 2.09
Wixom: 2.07
Rockwood: 2.02
Grosse Pointe: 2.00
Utica: 1.92
Clawson: 1.77
Canton Township: 1.72
Livonia: 1.72
Wyandotte: 1.69
Grosse Pointe Park: 1.66
Fraser: 1.65
Pleasant Ridge: 1.58
Farmington: 1.58
Algonac: 1.52
Brighton: 1.40
White Lake Township: 1.35
Berkley: 1.31
Birmingham: 1.30
Belleville: 1.28
South Lyon: 1.27
New Baltimore: 1.20
Novi: 1.17
Saline: 1.13
Plymouth Township: 1.03
Northville Township: 0.98
Gibraltar: 0.98
Plymouth: 0.90
Orchard Lake: 0.88
Troy: 0.88
Beverly Hills: 0.78
Riverview: 0.77
Grosse Pointe Farms: 0.74
Rochester: 0.71
Bloomfield Township: 0.71
Milford: 0.70
Oxford
Grosse Pointe Woods: 0.48
Grosse Ile Township: 0.46
Trenton: 0.46
Franklin: 0.34
West Bloomfield Township: 0.34
Huntington Woods: 0.33
Northville: 0.16
Bloomfield Hills: 0.00
Grosse Pointe Shores: 0.00

Here is the link to the excel spreadsheet if you want to do the sorting yourself: http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/05cius/ data/table_08_mi.html

Hpgrmln

Post Number: 154
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 8:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As I said-see how far down there Northville is.
I had no idea Lake Orion was so violent, if that info is indeed accurate.It does seem to be more realistic to me.

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 453
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 8:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Geeze Louise, when you sort it by state, Southfield is doing much better, why would you trash the city? If you come here and look, you will see vibrant neighborhoods and shopping, and you will see lots of available housing, too. You will certainly get better value for your money in a house here, especially if it has been properly maintained.

I wonder if the amount of housing available has to do with Prop A, which raises the taxes once a new owner buys. That can be really scary. It isn't just Southfield, either, lots of for sale signs everywhere.

Jt1

Post Number: 10103
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 9:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

if that info is indeed accurate.It does seem to be more realistic to me.

Both Lefty and my stats are from the FBI. His is for violent crime only:
Murder and nonnegligent manslaughter
Forcible rape
Robbery
Aggravated assault

The stats I list inlcuded violent and property crime which includes the above plus:

Burglary
Larceny-theft
Motor vehicle theft

You are more than welcome to go to the FBI site to validate Lefty's data and my data as opposed to questioning it in every post.

Jt1

Post Number: 10104
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now when speaking about S'Field and people saying how it is declining the current year stats don't represent too much without a baseline.

So here is a comparison of 1995 and 2005 per FBI (per 1,000 residents):

Violent crime rates:

1995: 7.06
2005: 12.1

Murder, rape and robbery are all down but aggravated assault is up significantly.

Property crime rates:

1995: 68.29
2005: 48.31

Burglary is about the same, larceny and auto theft are considerably down.

All data is also from the FBI crime stats.

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 459
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wasn't questioning the data, just marveling at the difference in position between the local and statewide list. It is apples and applesauce, I guess.

Jt1

Post Number: 10105
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gaz - I was talking to Hpgrmln
who seems to question the numbers Lefty and I post but doesn't seem to want to verify them him/herself.

Masterblaster
Username: Masterblaster

Post Number: 83
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FutureCity, why are
Highland Park
Inkster
River Rouge
Ecorse

not on this list??

Lathrup Village, where a lot of negroes live, is way down the list.

They all probably have more crime than Southfield

Crawford
Username: Crawford

Post Number: 122
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 7:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Southfield is not diverse. The previous data posted is from the 2000 Census. Southfield has changed a lot in recent years. The public schools are now almost entirely black.

Diverse suburbs include Troy, West Bloomfield, Farmington Hills, Sterling Heights, etc.

Hpgrmln

Post Number: 156
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe it was in The Freep, about 4 years ago.They were basically saying that Southfield had surpassed Pontiac in crime.

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 469
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, it isn't obvious, and things do change, so let's go with the newer stats. The Southfield PD are very responsive and neighborhood friendly. One night this summer, two policemen woke us up because they found a pet dog running around and they were trying to return it to its owner. It wasn't our dog, but we did know whose it was, and the dog went home safely.

The_ed
Username: The_ed

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

negroes?????

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6657
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to the 2006 U.S. Census. Southfield's black population is now 65%. Its school district is 97% black. But Southfield is not yet a ghetto. Middle to upper class black folks keep up their houses, manicured their lawns and get along with the remaining Jews, Chaldeans and white folks. Northland Mall is still up and running and so the skyline of Downtown Southfield with all their glass covered skyscrapers. There may be crime but not a serious in the local news like BROTHERS KILLING BROTHERS in 11 Mile Rd. and Evergreen St.

Cincinnati_kid
Username: Cincinnati_kid

Post Number: 18
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's up with all the Southfield bashing? it was one of the first suburbs, if I can recall that accepted blacks with open arms. Sure the property taxes are high, and since the housing bust, I've noticed a lot more empty houses scattered about. But I've never had any crime in my neighborhood in the 15 years I've been here. My neighbors are still diverse with White, Chaldean, Black and Asians. It's quiet and peaceful where I'm at. If they can somehow lower the taxes, I'm sure a lot more people would live here. Why are the taxes so high here compared to Farmington Hills, Berkley, etc... Never quite understood that.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1172
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Lathrup Village, where a lot of negroes live, is way down the list"

WOW... are we still referred to as negroes? wow man that is old school.

Goldensunshine
Username: Goldensunshine

Post Number: 51
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Come back Master Blaster . . .explain yourself please, you threw me off when you said negroes, man

Arrogancy
Username: Arrogancy

Post Number: 15
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Southfield is going "down" in other areas that can't be so easily quantified with stats.

For instance, restaurant cleanliness and staff, the type of neighbors, shopping choices, etc.

Even when you say people are "nice"; things are a bit different. My apt building in north, north Southfield was 30% black 3 years ago, now it is 90% black, and I'm moving because of the change.

Not because of the skin color, persay, but the demographic changed. It -was- young white singles or couples then, now it is black families jammed into a two bedroom apt. Same income, but the difference is, before, I didn't have kids running all around the building annoying me.

The race doesn't matter; it's just that Southfield happens to be attracting more and more of a demographic ( possibly due to more credit options and shared income situations ), that I don't necessarily wish to live around, and it filters out into various other areas that force me to drive farther and farther away. Being black just happens to be the correlation.

English
Username: English

Post Number: 589
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^ You can run but you can't HIDE!