Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Detroit Jazz « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jazzstage
Username: Jazzstage

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whenever I meet casual fans of jazz they always ask me where they can hear real jazz. Detroit has given the world many jazz greats. Many of them come back to sit in or play at the local clubs. Those wondering where they can hear the real thing should check out All About Jazz. Just put in your zip code and it will some great venues. http://www.allaboutjazz.com/ph p/entity_search.php?t=7

If you are down at the jazz fest please come say hello at the Jazz Talk Tent. Former WEMU and WDET DJ Jim Gallert will be presenting panal discussions.

Jazz Talk Tent
Back by popular demand, the 2007 Jazz Talk Tent will be the main "hang" for jazz heads to meet artists, hear what jazz writers have to say on all things jazz, and even hear some music. Artists Gerald Wilson, Charles Tolliver, Bill Charlap, Kenny Garrett, Regina Carter, Yusef Lateef, and others will participate in "meet-the-artist" sessions and panels along with blues scholar Bob Porter, jazz historian Ira Gitler, Delmark records owner Bob Koester, Jazz Corner's Lois Gilbert, the Chicago Jazz Institute's Daniel Melnick, Ron Harwood, and others. In keeping with the festival's Chicago vs. Detroit theme, subjects will include the Chicago blues tradition, the Detroit bass tradition, and record label history from both cities. Hosted by Detroit jazz historians James Gallert and Lars Bjorn, Jazz Talk Tent is in session Sept. 1-3, 1:15PM to 7:00PM.

(Message edited by jazzstage on August 03, 2007)

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9701
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jazzstage - If you want to discuss jazz I doubt there is anyone here more knowledgeable about the Detroit jazz scene (past and present) than jimg

Spaceman_spiff
Username: Spaceman_spiff

Post Number: 90
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have enjoyed Urban Transport at Bert's in Eastern Market. They play every Saturday from 9:30 til 2ish.

-Spiff

Jazzstage

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jim is one of the hosts of Detroit JazzStage - http://www.jazzstage.us

Spaceman_spiff - We interviewed UT for the Feb 2006 show (pre Jim Gallert)

Check it out.

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 154
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I miss WJZZ. WVMV or whatever it is, blows.

I remember coming home from college and hearing a real cool track at night in the car. I thought it was "The Third Cup" by Eddie Fisher (not that one) from how they finally read back the artists & songs. I finally found the LP, used, in France, 20 years later on the internet for $70 (must be rare). Wrong song.

I remember how the beginning went. But typing it (Do... Do... dooo....(Repeat 2 times) then begin...) probably won't help me find it.

Any ex-WJZZ DJ's there? Old timer's from the 80's that know late-60's jazz?

Jimg
Username: Jimg

Post Number: 896
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Old timers - from the 80's???" Jesus...
Try googling Eddie Fisher - bet you will locate the "Do Do Dooo" track yer talkin' about.

Jazzstage

Post Number: 6
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 2:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can make a call to Don Swindell who used to be the morning DJ on JZZ back when they still played jazz. The title you mentioned sounds familiar.

Jazzstage

Post Number: 9
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 12:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eddie Fisher's Third Cup sounds so familiar because a few years ago my good friend and well known DJ Brian Gillespie put it on a comp CD for me. He told me that the album was very valuable with collectors and that an 70's era WJZZ listener told him how much of a hit that song was at the time. He told me I should transcribe it and play it with my group but i never did. I wish I had now.

[img]http://www.o-dub.com/images/th irdcup.jpg[/img]
Track list:
01 scorched earth
02 a dude called zeke
03 shut up
04 the third cup
05 two by two
06 shoo-be-doo-be-doo-be-do-da-da y
07 the shadow of your smile

Dusty Groove:
An amazing album by the great guitarist Eddie Fisher -- and completely unlike his later funk albums. Eddie plays stripped down jazz with a small combo that includes organ by Robert Selby, bass by Paul Jackson, and some rhythm guitar by Phil Westmoreland -- and the twin-guitar approach creates this super-dope style that's light years ahead of its time, with a sophistication that points the way to later mid 70s work on labels like CTI and Kudu. Eddie's guitar work is an incredible exercise in spareness and soulfulness -- best heard on the fantastic "Third Cup", a long drawn-out jazz stepper that's got to be heard to be believed. The cut's been a favorite on the Chicago jazz stepper's scene for years -- and it alone is worth the price of the album. However, the record features some other wonderful stuff -- like a sublime version of "Shadow Of Your Smile" that runs for a bubbling 12 minutes -- plus the originals "Shut Up", "Scorched Earth", and "Two By Two".

Defendbrooklyn
Username: Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 385
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jazzstage,
What do you know about the Griot Galaxy? A great 60's group from the D. Farqu Z. Bey was their leader and he now is playing with Northwoods Imp.
They make a powerful lineup and are always on the "radar".

Chad
Username: Chad

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember going to the Rapa House in the '70s and all over downtown for good music. The only performers name I can remember is Marcus Belgrave.
Also Bakers Keyboard Lounge on 8 Mile. Is it still there/open?

also quite a few rock and roll bands recorded live albums in Detroit. Detroit had a reputation as a good audience if your music was up to their standards. If not, look out as they could turn mean on you in no time at all.

Bigcab
Username: Bigcab

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was downtown yesterday, and I stumbled upon a cool liitle bar in greektown (upstairs above the Golden Fleece) that hosts a jazz open jam on Monday nights - pretty cool little spot.

Jimg

Post Number: 897
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Defendbrooklyn, check out www.jazzstage.us
scroll down to find an interview with Faruq, also a link to W. Kim Heron's excellent article.

bakerskeyboardlounge.com
Baker's is alive and well, don't ya just know it...

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2410
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Bigcab: That's the Jazz Loft hosted by Milt Hale.

"Drummer Milton Hale, who runs a Monday night jam in Greektown that’s now in its third year — technically, it’s at the Exodus Lounge above the Golden Fleece on Monroe, but all the cats call it the Jazz Loft — sees some other factors. For one thing, the resurgence of jazz in the 1980s, with the Marsalis brothers as media-star leaders, brought a surge of young players into the music, Milton and his piano-playing brother Phil among them. Those players and others who’ve followed in their wake need a place to blow, says Hale, as he recounts some of the great loft nights, including the one where pianist Carlos McKinney, in town to play Baker’s, “just blew everybody away.” "

http://www.metrotimes.com/edit orial/story.asp?id=9764

Defendbrooklyn
Username: Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 389
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 11:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.m-etropolis.com/wor dpress/p/farouq-z-bey-northwoo ds-improvisers/en/

Jazzstage

Post Number: 10
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 2:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like you already know plenty about Griot Galaxy. I have the great album that was recorded at the DIA from the 80's.

Besides the link Jimg mentioned, you might also want to call Cliff Bell's. Faruq will be there with M.L. Liebler's Magic Poetry band. I am not positive on the date but I believe it is the 30th.

By the way, a more precise link to the article and interview is found here: http://www.jazzstage.us/index. php?post_id=142596

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 2532
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 7:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Back to the festival_ The Clayton-Hamilton orchestra will be here. And for my money there is no better drummer on the planet than Jeff Hamilton.He has it all. He swings his ass off, has great facility and is about as musical a drummer as there is.

Jimg

Post Number: 898
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree about Hamilton...he's good in small groups, too. Heard him with Ray Brown and Benny Green, and that was a really tasty trio. Hamilton has finesse, style and swings at any volume.

Jazzstage

Post Number: 11
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Faruq Z. Bey and the Northwoods Improvisors will be performing at Cliff Bell's August 30th. The Magic Poetry Band will be performing there on August 18th

http://www.cliffbells.com
http://www.allaboutjazz.com/ph p/calendar/calendar.php?entity =8770

Faruq's All About Jazz profile:
http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/musician.php?id=15288

Anyone interested in learning more about All About Jazz go here:
http://www.jazzstageproduction s.com/aaj.htm

(Message edited by jazzstage on August 06, 2007)

Jrvass

Post Number: 158
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Jazzstage!

I found a single 45 in Great Britain for $24. The album is fetching over $200.

James

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4055
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 12:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great site, great cause. I just added to the website to th Detroit Links of this site.

Remembering Rapa House like Chad above. I am also encouraged to see the rise of the Jazz Cafe in the Music Hall.

Jimg

Post Number: 899
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 6:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

RAPA House (Rogers Academy of the Performing Arts) will again be the central after hours landing zone for the Det Int'l Jazz Fest. And it will be hosted, as usual, by the genial Rogers bros.

Jazzstage

Post Number: 14
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 6:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell - Thank you for adding our site. We are glad to do our part to promote the greatness of Detroit. One thing though. The name of the show is 'Detroit JazzStage'. Is it possible to make that change?

Thanks again

Ladyinabag
Username: Ladyinabag

Post Number: 309
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Henry Normile's "Cobb's Corner" had the jazz market cornered in the 70's....Bobby McDonald, Frank Isola, Griot Galaxy, Stratanova (Leonard King), Marcus Belgrave, Lyman Woodard....to name a few. It was THE place to go for jazz. Then, on 1/27/79, while on the second night of a live recording session at the club, somebody shot and killed Henry as he bent down to look out of his mail schute after a knock on his back door. "Oh, well, Mr Giddes, it's Chinatown".

Jazzstage

Post Number: 17
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 6:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ladyinabag,

You might be interested in reading the obituary for Henry. It is found here: http://www.corridortribe.com/o bits/henry_normile.htm

Ladyinabag

Post Number: 312
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe this is a book that needs to be written. There has never been anybody arrested for this murder. It remains open to this day. The policeman now in charge of this case is Homicide Lieutenant William Petersen.

(Message edited by ladyinabag on August 08, 2007)

Ladyinabag

Post Number: 314
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was not my intention to end the thread....

(Message edited by ladyinabag on August 09, 2007)

Jrvass

Post Number: 160
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I got a note about "The Third Cup":

"Hi James-

Just to let you know, this one isn't as mint as we usually sell, that's why it isn't $150. Some surface marks & noise.

Best,
Steve

Visit our website for updates and current stock:
http://www.vvmo.com "

I imagine a good computer program can fix these issues.

James

Jazzstage

Post Number: 30
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

James,

Email me at jazztage@gmail.com and I will get you a copy of the recording.

Rodney

Jrvass

Post Number: 162
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jazzstage is awesome!

Not only can he pick out a rythm from a few keystrokes... he knows the history and has the album!

I genuflect at your wisdom of jazz... "Oh Great One!"

(I grew up during "disco"... :p Jazz was the only salvation!)

James

Jazzstage

Post Number: 40
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 12:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is my pleasure to "spread the good word". You can return the favor by turning someone on to www.jazzstage.us. It is free, you get to learn about some great musicians and it makes you sound oh so sophisticated at dinner parties. (:

Seriously, we are trying to awareness of the diversity and high caliber of Jazz in this (still) great city.

For those that don't know what we are doing:

Detroit JazzStage is a monthly podcast celebrating Detroit's amazing array of jazz musicians. Hear the music and the unique stories from one of the worlds great Jazz centers by going to http://www.jazzstage.us or directly through iTunes. http://phobos.apple.com/WebObj ects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcas t?id=81447820&s=143441

Our first podcast was aired in November 2005 at a time when the term was still unknown to most people. Currently, we receive approximately 20,000 downloads per month. We are the number one rated independent jazz podcast. We have charted as high as the 22nd most popular music podcast and have listeners in almost every country.

Two new jazz podcasts have been added with a Classical music podcast in the works. We have partnered with some of the most influential jazz media including the Max, WRCJ, Cliff Bells and the Detroit Jazz Festival. We successfully brought Randy Napoleon (guitarist for Michael Buble) to Cliff Bells. The packed audience included Linda Yohn (program director at WEMU), Mark Stryker (Free Press music critic) and many of Detroit's top jazz musicians. Later this month, we will be bringing Michigan's first Poet Laureate, M.L. Liebler's Magic Poetry band, to Cliff Bells. We will also host Bop Culture at Southfield's Arturo's. In addition, we are hosting the Jazz Talk tent at the Detroit Jazz Festival for the second year.

Kslice
Username: Kslice

Post Number: 135
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to love getting those tall plastic cups at the jazz festival. They'd always have the year and current logo on them. I'd always pay extra for the drink to get one of those.

Jrvass

Post Number: 167
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll be sure to pass the link to my brother... who introduced me to jazz in the "disco" era of the mid-70's. :P

As far as the Labor Day weekend is concerned, I have a plan... Use my boat on Lake MI to go salmon fishing! A week later I can't because of a wedding, and three weeks later a Tiger game.

It sucks to be me! :-)

Cozmikdebris
Username: Cozmikdebris

Post Number: 106
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone know who owns the rights to Griot Galaxy's debut album "Kins?" It needs to be reissued, as does "Opus Krampus." I bought a sealed copy of Kins for $5 at The Record Collector on 9 Mile many years ago, made a cassette dub and sold it. Then I lost the cassette. Now that I know how rare the album is, I want it back.

Going through some boxes of tapes, I found a whole bunch of old recordings by Bey/Griot (something called "Synchron" that never was released) and the Lyman Woodard Organization (several 80s & 90s Montreux Detroit recordings, and an October 1974 WDET fund raising simulcast from JJ's at the Shelby Hotel, where Woodard used to play all the time.). I'm slowly digitizing these.

I'm also a huge fan of all those old Tribe Records featuring Harrison, Belgrave, Mixed Bag, Ranelin et al.

(Message edited by cozmikdebris on August 24, 2007)

Jazzstage

Post Number: 81
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kins is a monumental work. My suggestion is to contact http://www.northwoodsimprovise rs.com/. They are recording and handling Faruq right now. You might also want to check out the interview with him on Detroit Jazzstage. http://jazzstage.us/index.php? post_id=142596

Judging from your name, I think you might also enjoy listening to a panel on Frank Zappa. Detroit's Ralphe Peterson played bass with Zappa and contributes interesting memories about the great composer.

http://www.jazzstageproduction s.com/djs/

You were lucky to obtain an original. Sounds like you have some collection. Faruq might enjoy hear bout the music you have. I will see him next week. He will be playing Thursday night at Cliff Bells with the Northwoods Improvisers. If you show up say hello to us.

You can also listen to an interview of Harrison where he talks about the tribe days. A new Tribe album is supposed to be out soon.
http://jazzstage.us/index.php? post_id=182819

Please let us know your thoughts.

Rodney Reeves

(Message edited by jazzstage on August 24, 2007)

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 473
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I noticed a spot on Grand River near Old Redford named Jazz Cafe.

Jazzstage

Post Number: 90
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey all,

We drove Faruq Z. Bey home from his gig last evening. I relayed to him how much admiration he has here. He was very humbled to know that. I also communicated to him how many people (here and other places) have expressed a desire to get a copy of Kins. The ball is rolling on this. The original tapes have been lost. If a good enough transfer can be made it may get re-released. I will let you know anything I hear.

Jazzstage

Post Number: 127
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cozmikdebris,

I really need to talk to you privately. Can you email me at jazzstage at Gmail dot com?

I suspect that your work will be involved in our next podcast featuring ML Leibler and Ron English.