Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Stott Building « Previous Next »
Archive through July 31, 2007Jsmyers30 07-31-07  10:08 am
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Billk
Username: Billk

Post Number: 56
Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So who owns the land under it that collects the $8000 a month rent.

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1833
Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

3wc is basically right that the Stott Tower doesn't have much viability as office space. It can hopefully limp along with a few tenants as it is now for a while longer.

But I do think it has good future viability as condos, as the downtown residential market moves forward. A beautiful building, quite tall with spectacular views near the top, lots of windows, located right near Woodward & Campus Martius... these are all valuable assets for residential space.

I would bet $300 that it will be at least half-filled with condos within 10 years. :-)

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1985
Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone have any idea what the rent is there?
Is it legal to a have your office there and also have a small apartment in the same space?
Just wondering.

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 825
Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BillK: The owner of the land in 1979 was a Canadian insurance company which held it in it's real estate investment portfolio. It sold the land and the building not too long after it gained title to the building.

As far as I know PSIP it's legal to have residential in an office building as a lesser included use. I'm not to up on current zoning law but I believe that to be the case as long as the residential space complies w/ the residential requirements of city ordinances (ingress/egress, bathroom facilities etc)

Wschnitt
Username: Wschnitt

Post Number: 25
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I doubt this will happen.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1345
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Another alternative would be to build garage space around its base somewhere. Does anybody know anything about the building that appears to wrap around both sides of it?"

The only thing that I ever learned about it is that both the facade on Griswold and State used to have matching art deco facades.

Miketoronto
Username: Miketoronto

Post Number: 603
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I disagree that buildings like the Stott are impractical for modern offices or condos.

Not all office space has to be class AAA space.

With wiring for computers I am sure it would be fine for offices. There are countless old office towers still used today that are choice areas to locate a business. One only need to look at the Penobscott.

It is all in the will of the owners. But don't tell me office changed that much that reno for modern things can not help the building.

3rdworldcity

Post Number: 833
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Computer wiring isn't the problem. It's all the other things I pointed out above.

The Penobscot is and has for the past 12 - 15 years been a huge financial disaster. It's had at least 4, maybe more, owners in the last 12 years. All out-of-state owners who couldn't believe they were lucky enough to buy the thing so "cheaply." The greater fool theory at work. Every owner lost a LOT of money.

Miketoronto, what you say about older buildings is probably true for Toronto, a booming office market as the financial capital of Canada. Love the place. But you're way off when analyzing what should work in Detroit.

Detroit should be a case study for a Real Estate 101 class at a major business school.

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 600
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

THat fortunate of the Penobscot has changed recently from what I understand, correct? in that it is now a profitable and classy office establishment

3rdworldcity

Post Number: 835
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Apbest: Dream on. It just lost its largest tenant recently, The Legal Aid and Defenders Association, and I haven't heard they have had any success in renting any of the space. It's a financially marginal building at best.

Wilus1mj
Username: Wilus1mj

Post Number: 210
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stay Classy Penobscot....

Atperry
Username: Atperry

Post Number: 266
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://wdetfm.org/detroittoday /entry.php?entry=160

Looks like the Stott will be the subject of discussion tomorrow on "Detroit Today"

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 375
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreed Miketoronto. People who say the Stott can't be offices have no clue and have never ventured outside of Detroit to other cities who have buildings of the same vintage that are currently occupied. The problem is downtown Detroit does not have enough businesses to occupy it, hence the state that downtown is in right now.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3568
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 11:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for posting that, Atperry.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1438
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 12:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Atperry, what is the pic in that article of? That is def. not the Stott.

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 602
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 1:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it looks like the lego model of the stott, if you look closely you can see the lego pieces.

(Message edited by apbest on August 13, 2007)

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 168
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 1:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ill be informing Jim Garrett that theyre really starting to mistake his lego models for the real deal.

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6339
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 8:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Marusich Architecture - A Limited Liability Company

Established in 1994 formerly as ArchiCivitas Architects LLC.
Transitioned to Maurisich Architecture LLC in 2005.

FIRM HISTORY

Marusich Architecture is a full service architectural and engineering firm with a history of fourteen years of dedication and service providing responsible Architecture and Urban Design to the City of Detroit and it’s metropolitan region.

John Marusich was the Senior Principal, Director of Design, and Architect of Record, Partner for the former ArchiCivitas Architects (1993-2004). John transitioned the ArchiCivitas firm and the history of practice and project work into Marusich Architecture LLC in 2005 upon the final former partner leaving ArchCivitas to pursue a specialty historic preservation practice.

John Marusich, Principal, has many years of project experience with established firms in the Detroit Metropolitan Area. Project experience ranges from custom single family and multi-family housing to retail, hospitality, corporate and medical offices, adaptive reuse and new construction, charter, public, and private schools, church renovations, and historic restoration. Mr. Marusich also has over 13 years university level teaching experience at five different institutions including 2 years at Wayne State as full time Assistant Professor and Program Director.

Marusich Architecture LLC has a strong commitment to innovative contemporary Architectural design and urban adaptive reuse contextual projects. The firm, Marusich Architecture, is comprised of innovative design, technical expertise and dynamic leadership. It enjoys a reputation for design excellence and sensitivity to client needs, as reflected in the high number of return clients.

Marusich Architecture LLC is located on the 32nd floor in the David Stott Tower in downtown Detroit, Michigan. Here the firm encompasses all aspects of the architectural process from master planning, site evaluation and feasibility studies, through the conceptual design and working drawings phases, and on to the final selection of finishes and fittings for building construction.

Our experience spans the complete spectrum of project types from educational and ecclesiastical to multi-use commercial / housing / parking, to substantial urban corporate as well as urban infill housing redevelopment projects.

In undertaking this diverse range of projects, the firm has always maintained its principal objective, which is completing projects on time and within budget without sacrificing design ingenuity.

The completed project must achieve a balance between the practical and the aesthetic from its inception. Marusich Architecture LLC has assembled the design vision, the technical expertise, and the leadership required to accomplish this objective.

Principals

John E. Marusich, Registered Architect
Director of Design - Principal

Registered architect in the states of Michigan, Pennsylvania, Ohio and Florida. He is certified with the National Council of Architectural Registration Boards.

As Principal-in-Charge, Mr. Marusich will be the Primary project contact person and will have responsibility for the project from inception: programming, master planning, schematic design, design development and construction documents through completion of construction, including coordination of interaction between the Owner and Owner’s personnel, government agencies associated with the project, the construction management team, consultants and construction observation.

Daniel L. Treacy, Registered Architect
Director of Architecture and Construction

As Director of Architecture and Construction, Mr. Treacy is responsible for all of the development and coordination of construction documents ie. drawings and specifications. He will coordinate all project consultants and review shop drawings.

The "family tree" of this firm traces back to Diehl & Diehl. D&D ceased operations in 1993, and out of the remaining staff ArchiCivitas was formed in 1994. In 2005 the frim became Marusich Architecture.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3569
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 9:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh thanks for that info.

This is and has been a downtown Detroit firm...I think they've been in the Stott from the time when it was kept up more.

D&D is most prominent, I think, for their church designs across the city, most in the 40s and 50s. I know a little bit about the family.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1463
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does Transportation Riders United (TRU) still have their office in there?

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 879
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 3:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for connecting that. Yes, downtown Detroit is hardly hurting for office space. Heck, the only way Class-A One Kennedy is gaining occupancy is mostly from stealing other tenants away from other downtown buildings, and it's not that large of an office building (250,000 square feet). Downtown's not going to even have to worry about an office crunch for many years down the road, even with the upturn of downtown.

And don't forget that there will be more room opening up once Comerica exits the Comerica Tower and hightails it for Texas.

Bagman
Username: Bagman

Post Number: 85
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To my knowledge the Stott is owned by some lawyers who have offices inside the building. I asked if they would sell and all you have to do is make an offer above 3 Million and I think it might be yours.
There is only one thing downtown needs.....tenants.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1479
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 7:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...or someone could have a pretty interesting three million dollar house!

Transitrider
Username: Transitrider

Post Number: 20
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CP, re: The TRU office is currently in the Guardian Building and has been for a few years, not sure if was ever in the Stott.

These 2 buildings seem like twins though: red brick and similar trim. Perhaps the more architecturally-knowledgeable can compare.

(Message edited by transitrider on August 20, 2007)

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1517
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmmm. This would have been back in about 2003. Seemed to me that when we went there for our class, that they were in the Stott about half way up because I remember the fancy elevator doors with the letters on them.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 37
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought I remember the Stott was sold about a year and half ago for about $20.00 a sq ft. Can't build today for under $150.00 ft. Should make nice view condos at the top with xlnt views, and maybe office on lower floors.

Wschnitt
Username: Wschnitt

Post Number: 33
Posted on Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Once the bus depot is moved, the area around Capital Park will be much cleaner and more people friendly. It is poorly lit and full of people waiting for buses. The street should be narrowed to make the sidewalks a bit larger.

Tarkus
Username: Tarkus

Post Number: 380
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Broadcasting from high atop the David Stott , WABX 99.5fm

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 4966
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 6:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tru has always been in the Stott...

Carptrash
Username: Carptrash

Post Number: 1455
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

there is some nice, though not actually impressive, Parducci architectural sculpture to be found around the base of the Stott. Some of his Greco-Deco as I recall. CP also did a lot of work, churches and schools mostly, for Diehl & Diehl who were mentioned earlier on this thread. eeeeeeek

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6379
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

eek!