Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Tigers Stadium to be Demolished...Finally « Previous Next »
Tiger StadiumWaz07-31-07  12:04 pm
Have a Catch at Tiger Stadium!Christos39 07-26-07  7:30 am
Michigan Sports Hall of Fame Plan for Tiger Stadium?Drm07-23-07  8:19 pm
  Start New Thread        

Top of pageBottom of page

Yelloweyes
Username: Yelloweyes

Post Number: 155
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Council approved Demolition. About time.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1378
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kwame is for saving the diamond and part of the facade I heard, and using that in the next development. It would be nice to mothball this treasure, but sadly the city gov't and police agency is content to sit idly by why "urban miners" gut a structure to the point it cannot be possibly re used for anything else. That being the case redeveloping it and keeping some of the original aspects seems like the smartest step.

Jz_detroit
Username: Jz_detroit

Post Number: 21
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.clickondetroit.com/ news/13757009/detail.html#

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 770
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was glad to get my young (out of state) children there for one last game...a sad thing...many fond memories...like everyone else here i am sure.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1209
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Uh, so there's still no redevelopment plan? Better hurry up and knock it down anyway. Hurry up! Somebody might have a chance to pitch a redevelopment proposal that would save some of the building. We can't have that.

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 1886
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They could at least make a Decent Park OR a Neighborhood.

(Message edited by Urbanize on July 27, 2007)

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1702
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

horray!

can't wait till they open it up to the public one last time...

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1829
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This Crain's article has some more details...

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/a pps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/2007 0727/REG/70727007

quote:

Council OKs plan to raze Tiger Stadium, but votes against transfer of land

By Aaron Harris
1:29 pm, July 27, 2007

The Detroit City Council voted 5-4 to approve the Detroit Economic Development Corp.’s plan to raze Tiger Stadium and replace it with a mixed-use development, but it voted 6-3 against a transfer of land to the EDC.

This means that the EDC can move ahead with its $2.95 million plan under the supervision of the council. The EDC also had sought ownership of the land, which would give it final say over the site.

The EDC will serve as a “surrogate” project developer. The EDC plans to seek ownership again in September.

This has been a sticking point between the corporation and some hoping to preserve much of Tiger Stadium. Preservationists say it shouldn't be razed until a firm redevelopment plan and financing is in place.

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 470
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its interesting because the city still owns the title and from the conflicting reports at the hearing it seems like the council will still be involved with the decision making from here on out so there could still be some road blocks who knows what will happen? I was at the hearing and no one could give a clear explanation of what the vote meant. Also I wonder why Reeves proposed to delay the vote and then cast her vote in favor of voting today making harwell look bad. Well we will just have to wait and see exactly what shape the decision making process takes from now. There is still no funding and a developer though so although it may come down unless they find funding and a developer it could still turn out to be another Hudsons site, prime real estate but mearly a parking lot. I hope they find them soon or else the stadium site could be another parking lot.

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 471
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks for the info DougW we will all just have to wait and see...

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 9610
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So what happened to the plans that the Corktown BIA and residents wanted? Is that now dead?

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 472
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, this is the corktown plan per say that was approved but this is why I am so confused even though I was at the hearing...

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20070727/NEW S01/70727045

(Message edited by urbanoutdoors on July 27, 2007)

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 288
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Typical.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1705
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^wtf? why is Detroit's city counsel so retarded and unorganized?

I don't understand why you guys don't just vote smarter people into office.

Histeric
Username: Histeric

Post Number: 785
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It really isn't that confusing. They voted to allow the process to continue but voted to retain their only leverage in the process by keeping title to the property. It gives a green light to the Conservancy and its ability to raise the necessary funds, but sends a signal to all parties that they will be monitoring the process until the funding is in place to execute the plan as presented. This is very good news for the Corktown community and the Old Tiger Stadium Conservancy efforts.

Histeric

Post Number: 786
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know what you folks are talking about. The council made an excellent decision...especially considering the juxtoposition of the two votes.

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 473
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The mayors office was reporting that they had the ok for demolition without funding in place. Histeric that is exactly what I thought coming out of the meeting but once I got into the media circus outside the room it became one giant question mark as to if they could demolish or not. No one seemed to know exactly what the limitations were as to if city council had granted the go ahead with demo or not and what exactly the council would over see, if anything at all.

Histeric

Post Number: 787
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well the Corktown Plan is a preservation plan so who cares if they gave permission to demo right now or not. The point is that the OTSC now has the legitimacy necessary to raise funds for the preservation of the field and some portion of the building and the DEGC has the ability to start asset disposition to prepare for the eventual demolition. Exactly HOW MUCH demo will be determined by the OTSC fund raising efforts. So for all the supposed supporters of preservation...now is your chance to give the unrealistic rabble rousing a rest and participate in Tiger Stadium's only chance for a future. Time to put up or shut up.

Jb3
Username: Jb3

Post Number: 229
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreed Histeric.
Cheers to the City Council.

Does anyone have a copy of Hamilton Andersons study done in the late 90's? If not where can i get it?

Cheers!

Detourdetroit
Username: Detourdetroit

Post Number: 326
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 6:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i still don't understand the logic and think it sets bad precedent... but i am happy that there is an opening to save the field and as much of the structure as is feasible. godspeed to the OTSC!

Yelloweyes

Post Number: 156
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote:
"Uh, so there's still no redevelopment plan? Better hurry up and knock it down anyway. Hurry up! Somebody might have a chance to pitch a redevelopment proposal that would save some of the building. We can't have that."

What the F--- are you talking about. It's been close to a decade since the announcement of Comerica Park. Should we wait another 10 for a "redevelopment proposal".

Take out the wrecking ball and put in a Wall-Mart. It would be better then having it sit there for another 10 years.

Urbanize

Post Number: 1892
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Take out the wrecking ball and put in a Wall-Mart. It would be better then having it sit there for another 10 years."

lol. A Wal-Mart Supercenter/Strip Mall doesn't sound like a half-bad Idea. It would help Downtown, Corktown and The City some. That way, we'll finally have a Full-Service Grocer down there as well.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6280
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 7:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Adieu Tiger Stadium. Detroit will miss you. Thanks for the Tigers and Lions games.

Drm
Username: Drm

Post Number: 1123
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As stated hundreds of times, most recently by Histeric directly above, there is a proposal for part of the site (field and stadium structure) which would be preserved by The Old Tiger Stadium Conservancy. I question the literacy of the people who assert that there is no developer, no plan, etc. Either that, or these people are simply dishonest.

Kudos to City Council for supporting the wishes of those who live in the neighborhood!

Tigersfan9
Username: Tigersfan9

Post Number: 112
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I too was surprised by Martha Reeves' vote. She promoted waiting until September all week in the press, invited Harwell to speak knowing what he was advocating, and then votes to approve the demolition plan. I thought I was hearing things wrong over the internet connection, but that's what she did.

Drm
Username: Drm

Post Number: 1126
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I too was surprised by Martha Reeves' vote. She promoted waiting until September all week in the press, invited Harwell to speak knowing what he was advocating, and then votes to approve the demolition plan. I thought I was hearing things wrong over the internet connection, but that's what she did.

Did you not just read what Histeric wrote above? It really isn't that confusing.

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 909
Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 1:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As someone who's usually pretty critical of council, I think they made the right decision in not giving the DEGC full control over the project .

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 819
Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I almost can't even bring myself to write about the impending destruction of Tiger Stadium (for real this time). The City Council's decision to raze the site of nearly all of the childhood memories that I have left is as sad as it was expected. To be honest, I can't believe it has been left standing this long. I mean, it's been EIGHT YEARS since the Tigers left the corner of Michigan and Trumbull. I've said goodbye to the old girl at least seven times. I don't know if I have it in me for another.
It's kind of like your grandmother who's hospitalized. "She's not going to last through the night." You drive up there. You cry. You say goodbye. She recovers. "We think this is it. You might want to come to the hospital." You cry some more. You hug her tight. You say goodbye. She's still there.
I do believe this really is it this time. It is going to be so hard to watch it come down. Driving by that famous intersection without it there, dominating the small shops that have managed to survive, well, it won't be the same. I always make sure to look for it, in case she somehow wandered off in the middle of the night or someone imploded it when nobody was looking.
Whenever I'm on Michigan Avenue, I look down the road and see its light towers. You can't miss it when you're on I-75.
Not having it there is going to be hard. It's going to be weird.
That said, I went to my first Tigers game at the Corner in 1987. I saw my last game there 12 years later, when they abandoned it in 1999. It's been almost as long, eight years, since the team left. That means my memories of life at Tiger Stadium are almost as long as my memories of its time on the respirator, waiting for that final gasp via wrecking ball.
Whenever a piece of this city's history falls, the Statler Hotel, the Madison-Lenox at the clutches of Mike Ilitch, I often wonder how Mr. Wrecking Crew Man can bring himself to do it. Perhaps in those cases, Joe Flannel didn't realize what he was destroying. In the case of Tiger Stadium, how could he not?
All I know is this: If the city is going to tear it down just to tear it down, without a plan for its redevelopment FIRMLY and SECURELY in place, I'm gonna be pissed. I have little to no faith in the mayor's administration. He has a plan, but he hasn't proved he has the financial backing to do it.
I know Corktown wants to move on. I know Tiger Stadium is gobbling up a huge piece of land. I know there is no chance the stadium will ever reopen.
But is it better to have an abandoned structure or a field of waist-high grass littered with empty 25-cent bags of Fritos and broken liquor bottles? When you're talking about sacred ground, I'll take the former.
Maybe I'm not ready to say goodbye after all - not until the city can prove the Corner won't sit vacant.

Jelk
Username: Jelk

Post Number: 4503
Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know a lot people had doubts about Martha Reeves when she was first elected to Council but what a powerful and passionate voice for Detroit. It's amazing that people were laughing about her comments about Ernie Harwell earlier this week and how brilliant that move looked at the week's end.

Council as a whole should be applauded for the manner in which they vetted this plan. It seems just recently the focus of the plan appeared to be the demolition and now it seems be be how much is going to be saved and how will it be used? I think they really used their power to benefit the city here.

When and if the Tiger Stadium Conservancy is successful, Council and Ms. Reeves, in particular, deserves a share of the credit.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3523
Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jelk, would your group care to pony up the alleged $25,000 each month for whatever services are done to TS so that the taxpayers don't get hit again and again monthly? And how about having that made retroactively?

By now, you should come up with about $2 million to return to the general fund.

Jelk
Username: Jelk

Post Number: 4506
Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No that's why I'm glad Martha Reeves, and the rest of the Council majority, voted in favor of the DEGC plan.

As for the retroactive part, I paid into that every time I purchased Tigers tickets in 1998 and 1999. I think I attended 20-25 games over that two year period including the final opening day and the final game on September 27, 1999.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3524
Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Although I have no memory of my living there, I was born less than 1/2 block away from Borchert Field at Eighth and Burleigh in Milwaukee. Today, it's I-43 cutting along Seventh Street--much like the Lodge. Milwaukee County Stadium was finished in time for the 1953 season of the then-AAA Milwaukee Brewers (Boston Braves farm team). The Boston Braves became the Milwaukee Braves--starting the beginning of many venue changes in MLB during the 1950s.

I-43 was the last of the freeways built there. During 1953, Borchert Field was dismantled right away and turned into a park. Ditto for Milwaukee County Stadium--after the new retractable dome stadium was built at the same time as Comerica was.

Now, that park is a little-league park based on where the home plate was. Why couldn't Detroit have done the sensible thing that most cities do and just tear Tiger Stadium down? Even, the owner of nearby Nemo's doesn't want it to continue to rot away and go to weeds.

Somehow, I visualize TS being just another of hundreds of decaying Detroit buildings that never seem to get torn down after decades of vacancy.

(Message edited by Livernoisyard on July 28, 2007)

Yelloweyes

Post Number: 158
Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 6:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All of you that are crying because of your memories taking place there and the structure being razed and all of your memories going along with it need to seek psychological help.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3525
Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All that waste of money--$ millions...

I have never lost a second of sleep over tearing down obsolete memories. I was ten when Borchert went down, and I played baseball at a park just down the road a mile away.

Sure, I had a fond memory or three. But, it's time had come for it to go. Tiger Stadium's time came seven years ago and it's still there--sucking up tax dollars--for absolutely nothing.

(Message edited by Livernoisyard on July 28, 2007)

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1712
Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, the Tigers themselves got demolished today. That bull pen sux.

Urbanize

Post Number: 1907
Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^Geez, stay in LV or the Sports Section with your Commentary.

Back to the topic.

Kslice
Username: Kslice

Post Number: 119
Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hopefully by the time the city has a "turnaround" there will be something other than memories left...

Admin
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 622
Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bump because a number of related threads have been consolidated under this thread to keep the topic focused in one place. Note the threads above may still be responded to.

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 480
Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 7:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20070731/M ETRO/707310358&theme=Metro-Sta diums&imw=Y

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 485
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.metrotimes.com/edit orial/story.asp?id=11137