Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » The old Ren Cen Train Station « Previous Next »
Archive through July 24, 2007Pete30 07-24-07  2:05 pm
Archive through July 24, 2007Hornwrecker30 07-24-07  9:24 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Jyogi
Username: Jyogi

Post Number: 10
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

VERY cool pic!

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1851
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 7:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would like to have seen an interview with John Conyers rather than Martha. Although he is not my favorite politician, he advocated peace and begged the rioters to stop the lawlessness.
I believe it would have been a much more meaningful interview, but the entertainment-factor seems to come into play in the national news. But, yes, it was still a serious interview,and that's what counted.

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 1095
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 7:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The_rock, it looks like you accidentally put your post in the wrong thread!

The_rock

Post Number: 1852
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 8:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I sure did, Burnsie. Another senior moment. Time for me to log off this computer and do something more positive.
This is a very interesting thread as I used to take the Grand Trunk train from this old site to B'ham way back in the early 50's. My dad rode it for years.

The_rock

Post Number: 1853
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 8:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I sure did, Burnsie. Another senior moment. Time for me to log off this computer and do something more positive.
This is a very interesting thread as I used to take the Grand Trunk train from this old site to B'ham way back in the late 40's, early 50's. My dad rode it for years.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1741
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 8:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that pic above with the rencen in the background is being used in cadillacs new ad campaign, highly modified of course

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1742
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 8:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.theautochannel.com/ news/2006/08/01/016710.3-lg.jp g

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 630
Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 12:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I knew i had seen that picture before - thanks, gravitymachine. it gives me the creeps, in a very brazil/joe vs. the volcano sort of way, but is still a very cool picture.

and after seeing some clips from metropolis, i'd have to agree with that too.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1186
Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 1:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like that ad, very old school. It says "I ride the train every day, bust my ass at work, just so maybe one day I can afford a Cadillac."

Russix
Username: Russix

Post Number: 29
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I read in the newspaper awhile ago that there is an actual rail tunnel that runs under RenCen. The article made some speculation about how it could be incorporated into a subway station for RenCen. I've haven't been able to locate the article, can anyone provide any info on this?

Detroitfan2
Username: Detroitfan2

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone interested (or know someone that is interested) in purchasing a unit at the Griswold Capital Park Residences next to the historic Book Cadillac? I am assigning my rights to the unit at a discounted rate. jewlcapital@gmail.com

Flyingj
Username: Flyingj

Post Number: 18
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jasoncw, meh-the New Center station is a big fat improvement over the "Amshack" they used to have down the track from the Michigan Central...more centrally located, the DOT/SMART stop's right there-White Castle's a lot closer, too

Jasoncw
Username: Jasoncw

Post Number: 412
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I think that after being trained through the ghetto, the first thing that travelers see is that "Amshack" ( :-) ) is a really bad second impression. Hopefully the third impression is a charm.

Burnsie

Post Number: 1110
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Russix-- I've been reading and researching about Detroit railroads for at least 15 years and have never read or seen anything that remotely suggests of a RR tunnel under the RenCen. RR lines dead-ended at Brush St. and Third St., and did not connect.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3638
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Russix's newspaper must have been some rag from the psychedelic underground-newspaper era. Around 40 years ago, the editor from Milwaukee's Kaleidoscope was my next-door neighbor.

A nice guy, still he and his wife were into black magic and printed all the names and addresses of the city's policemen, though, yet he didn't cover illusionary railroad tunnels, either.

There was a track from near Griswold and Michigan heading down Woodward in the late 1830s, probably to connect with the River. However, it had seen little use and was pulled--well before the station at Griswold was.

(Message edited by Livernoisyard on August 06, 2007)

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 163
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Might be referring to the people mover tunnel under Hart Plaza I had read about in a previous thread.

Russix

Post Number: 31
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 12:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes, that was part of it. Does anyone have any maps of what the city had envisioned the people mover to be? The people mover tunnel is clearly visible north of the roadway section of the tunnel and blocked off with cinder blocks on the west end. If they built a tunnel under hart plaza which opened in 1975, wouldn't it be possible that they also constructed a people mover tunnel under RenCen that opened 1977. Also note the RenCen construction was ongoing as Hart Plaza was constructed.

Russix

Post Number: 32
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 12:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

underground detroit newspapers to read: The Fifth Estate, the last detroit editor is well-known radio host Peter Werbe

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3641
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 12:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One would think that underground newspapers would carry articles about tunnels...

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 595
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 3:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

By the same token, LY, I'd think you'd need a nonexistent underground newspaper to read about nonexistent tunnels.

Rivertowner
Username: Rivertowner

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 8:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Going way back to some earlier comments on this thread, a graphic of what the planned conversion of the Dequindre Cut is supposed to look can be seen here: http://www.eastriverfront.com/ ?p=126 (Sorry for the delay...it took me a while to dig up the graphic.)

As you can see from the left side of the poster, half of the corridor is being used for the pathway; the other half is reserved for potential future transit use, as other users suggested. To be certain, this graphic is from the earlier stages of the planning for the trail. If and when a transit line were put in, it would probably be more of a light-rail type than the retro trolley shown here...although a trolley shuttling people between Eastern Market and the riverfront might actually have a considerable demand, at least on weekends.

However, big diesel commuter trains aren't really compatible with the Cut's new identity - but, as others have also pointed out, Dequindre is no longer the best spot for a commuter line anyway.

Tkelly1986
Username: Tkelly1986

Post Number: 388
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 9:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diesel trains may not be the answer, but what about an electric inter-urban type commuter train like the southshore system that acts as a commuter line from northern indiana to chicago? I acts the same way the other chicago area commuter rail lines do, but uses overhead wires on a standard grade track. In fact, diesel and electric trains can both run on the southshore lines.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3642
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

In fact, diesel and electric trains can both run on the southshore lines.

All trains use electricity for their locomotion. Diesel trains run an onboard electric generator and air compressor (for brakes). The generator supplies the electricity for its electric motor.

Other than that, they're essentially the same as those running solely on external electricity. So, being able to run both basic types of locomotives on the same tracks should be obvious to most.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3643
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I can't imagine a turntable being used for a commuter train either. I imagine the turntable was for a streetcar...still pretty cool.

Being partially wooden, one of my grandfather's early jobs as a carpenter was building them.

Milwaukee's streetcars were bidirectional--with controls on both ends for the motorman. The seats and the trolley pole would then be positioned the other way whenever the motorman would switch ends when doing a 180 when there was no turnaround.

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 679
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Being partially wooden, one of my grandfather's early jobs as a carpenter was building them.

The way you wrote that sentence, it technically says that your grandfather was partially wooden, and i read it as such. After a brief moment of confusion, i got a good laugh out of it. (which i really needed this morning) :-)

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1202
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanx scott; i didn't notice that, but i definitely needed the laugh.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3644
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As a carpenter/home builder, he probably had a bit of wood in him.

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 2965
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Other than that, they're essentially the same as those running solely on external electricity. So, being able to run both basic types of locomotives on the same tracks should be obvious to most.

The performance is different between diesel and electric locomotives. Electric locomotives have better acceleration characteristics, for example. This is why, even on Amtrak's long-distance routes, the New York-to-Washington segment is hauled by electric locomotive. In DC, the locomotive is switched out for a diesel for trains continuing south or west, since DC is the southern terminus of the electrified right-of-way.

On the Long Island Railroad, the electrical current is via third rail. For diesels to be able to run on the same track, the equipment cannot interfere with the third rail. I believe the LIRR has hybrid diesel/electric trains, however, on many of their lines.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3645
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The diesel units are usually more powerful than the lighter, solely electric units. Obviously, high-speed electric-only passenger units are designed differently than their slower freight counterparts. But having both diesel and electric-only plying the same rails is no big deal on an electrified track segment.

The Detroit Windsor tunnel originally had electric units due to emission concerns. However, not so today. And some electric units have a battery so that they can reach their electrified lines from the yards, etc.

Burnsie

Post Number: 1112
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Detroit tunnel had electrics so that the crews wouldn't get gassed in the tunnel. The St. Clair Tunnel initially ran with steam locomotives, but after a number of asphyxiations and better electric technology, it converted to electrics.

Fjw718
Username: Fjw718

Post Number: 113
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

NY has two electric passenger lines. the LIRR and Metro North.

LIRR is 3rd rail based and the shoe makes contact with the top of the third rail.

Metro North is third rail based on the Hudson and Harlem lines, and Catenary Based on the New Have line.

The big difference between the two is that an electric LIRR Units shoe makes contact with the 3rd rail on the top, while MNRR's does it on the bottom.

Even though they are the same trains, they could not run on each others lines without destroying the thrid rail.

Burnsie

Post Number: 1118
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also, Amtrak and Metro-North have some dual-powered units. They can be powered by either the diesel engine or by a retractable third rail shoe. The motors at Port Huron/Sarnia used catenary, while Detroit/Windsor used third rail.

Fjw718
Username: Fjw718

Post Number: 116
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the guy in the suit in the black and white semta pic is none other than Larry Salci, former Manager of Semta and now CEO of St. Louis' Metro system

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone think it is a bit strange that the ad agency would create an ad with trains in the layout?