Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Downtown's Greatest Window! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4920
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 2:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know that I already posted this on another thread, but for folks who missed it, you downtown people drive by this window all the time, and yet it's beauty has hardly been appreciated... maybe because it's at its' most beautiful from its' inaccessible inside...

The building owner is planning on spending big bucks to enhance the lighting on this window, as well as other improvements...

Downtown_remix
Username: Downtown_remix

Post Number: 435
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 3:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

damn unbelievable

Hans57
Username: Hans57

Post Number: 185
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 7:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Im sorry, but where can this window be found?

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1548
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 7:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michigan theatre building, over what was the entrance to the theatre.

Hans57
Username: Hans57

Post Number: 186
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 7:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bad ass.

Jdkeepsmiling
Username: Jdkeepsmiling

Post Number: 286
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 8:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is just incredible.

Buddyinrichmond
Username: Buddyinrichmond

Post Number: 195
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 8:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like a mirror to me....

Gistok

Post Number: 4921
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 10:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The former Michigan Theatre (designed by Rapp & Rapp of Chicago) had the typical arched window found in many of this architectural firms windows. However due to the fact that the actual lobby was 40 feet behind the window (behind a maze of theatre office and stairway space), the architects had to come up with a plan to make this false window appear like you were peering into the grand lobby of the theatre (which was actually the case in many of their theatre designs).

So their solution was to line the interior of this nearly 4 story tall (1/2 silo shaped) space with a large amount of mirrors. This can be seen (upon closer inspection) from the outside. But what cannot be seen is all the attention to detail to each of the separate mirror frames, and how they interact to form a kaleidescope of light from the inside. A truly magnificent space, and one that maybe could be included in future historic theatre tours.

Many of Rapp & Rapp's other theatre designs (such as the Chicago Theatre) actually used their great arched window to light up one end of their grand lobby.

But because John Kunsky, builder of the Michigan, was not able to secure the whole block for his Michigan Building (the expensive Grand River frontage of the block was not purchased), some changes had to be made. The loss of a lobby window and a narrow (but very tall) auditorium were a likely outcome of this reduction in building size.

Originally there were 3 great arched windows planned over the theatre entrance, when the original building footprint included the whole block.

Tony_pieroni
Username: Tony_pieroni

Post Number: 23
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great pics, Gistok. I enjoyed our tour yesterday. You know a lot more about the place than I do.

I started restoring the window 4 years ago and the restoration guy did a great job on all the molding behind the windows, and around the mirrors. Then he took off and I never heard from him again.

Chez-Core has been working on the exterior window panes and they have some more work yet to do. Then I'll put some lights in there and light the place up at night.

Gistok

Post Number: 4953
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the update Mr. Pieroni!

When you get the lighting finished do give us a post, so the forumers can check it out for themselves at night.

Southen
Username: Southen

Post Number: 246
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thats fantastic. Id love to photograph that lobby, it looks amazing.

Gistok

Post Number: 4954
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 1:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Southen, I have been a big fan of your wonderful photography skills, please Email me at istokg AT earthlink.com. Don't worry about my spam blocker, I'll get your EMAIL.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1571
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 1:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok--so you got inside the window? cool. I was in it in March of 1977 when we removed the booth equipment, while the theatre was being stripped of all the goodies prior to the heavy demolition work. Here is a shot I took showing the chandelier, which I think went with all of the other light fixtures from the theatre to California.

Mich window, bitch!

Gistok

Post Number: 4980
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 1:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the cool pic 56packman! I just shot Mr. Pieroni an EMAIL and asked him how he was going to do future lighting inside that window area (cove lighting?). Stay tuned...

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 243
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 1:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry for the stupid and off-topic question, but what is with old photos and the word "copy?"

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 636
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 2:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

damn, that would have been awesome to see that chandelier all lit up and reflecting off the mirrors. thanks for the pic, 56packman.

bear - often, if they were published, or plan to be published, then that is to avoid copying and printing for other uses. basically to cover oneself from copyright violations, or to protect their own work or property if they wish to use it themselves.

Gistok

Post Number: 4989
Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mr. Pieroni just posted on the Quicken thread that he doesn't yet know how he's going to light up the window once the Chez-Core folks are done with the window panes.

As nice as the window probably looked lighted up with a chandelier, I wonder how it would look with cove lighting reflecting off the different glass panes instead?

However it is done, it will be nice to see it when it's all lit up at night again.