Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Clark Park « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3987
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have always liked this park, such a pleasant urban respite surrounded by houses and schools, shopping but with some regrettable break off on the south end by the I-75. Any stories?

I was there Sat. for the Detroit Artist Market's Artists v. Writers ball game. I just watched - I was whipped from playing handball on Belle Isle in the AM -- but enjoyed a stroll-about in the park.

The grassy vistas of the park with big shade trees are its trademark. Western HS can be seen in the distant right.

Clark Park Detroit

Charming boarded up Women's restroom. A park manager said they are trying hard to get it restored. It can be seen in the distant center above.

Clark Park Detroit

The ball game with Amelia Earhart Middle School in the background.

Clark Park Detroit

No he's not reaching for the donation coffee cans. Tiger legend / badboy Denny McLain threw out the first pitch and also pitched his recent biography.

Denny McLain at Clark Park Detroit

A slight thread jack but is Earhart School a classic example of windowless "ghetto renaissance" architecture, or not?

My, my, what grim place to trudge off to school.

Earhart Middle School - Clark Park Detroit

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1182
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Guess who won? The artists...

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 111
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And right across the street from the park is my favorite Mexican restaurant, Armando's! Gotta love the shrine to the Aurelio Lopez and the '84 Tigers in the rear entrance lobby.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 9545
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is a school? It looks like a prison or at the very least a military bunker.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 3768
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Blends in well with the 100 year old architecture of the surrounding neighborhood doesn't it?

Gets my vote for one of Detroit's ugliest buildings.
I always wanted to track down the architect(s) and ask "What in the world were you thinking, and who in the world gave you a license to practice architecture?"

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 583
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i dont think it's that bad actually

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 609
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That park used to be so nice.
The Denny pic was a little disturbing. I remember in the early 90's going to a bar on Telegraph were he was playing the organ and Leon Spinks, the boxer, was the bartender.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1492
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw an old post card of Clark Park on ebay that had a picture of a lake, anyone know of said lake?

Lmr
Username: Lmr

Post Number: 70
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Back in the 1920's and 1930's a lot of older men would gather in this park for cribbage games. My grandfather used to join them at times on his days off from work or after work.

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 29
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chitaku, I've also seen postcards of Prospect Park in Ypsilanti showing a lake, and I can't see where there could possibly have been a lake. I'm wondering whether lakes on cards were fanciful boosterism rather than being real, or what.

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1835
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOC/DPC

The Libaray of Congress has the original photos of the Detroit Publishing Co, printers of all of those turn of the century postcards: the last century.

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 108
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was a fun game! My son played 3rd base for the winners. Denny could not wait to get out of there!

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9579
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

That park used to be so nice.

It still is.

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6314
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Denny McLain at the organ?

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3456
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those former spring wells in/near Clark Park formed the reason for naming that township Springwells nearly 200 years ago--roughly Trumbull to Greenfield. The construction of nearby I-75 tapped into some of them.

Karl_jr
Username: Karl_jr

Post Number: 32
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 12:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember when the Cuban Refugees came to the area. When they had a major criminal problem with one of their own it was usually taken care by their own. The outcome being a body found hanging by the neck from one of the trademark shade trees.