Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Book-Cadillac / Griswold Garage Grows Taller « Previous Next »
Archive through July 14, 2007Tkelly198630 07-14-07  3:33 pm
Archive through August 11, 2007Rbdetsport30 08-11-07  7:38 am
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 2996
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

In most cases I normally favor your side of the great debates of this forum, however I do need to point out that even cities with good/great transit build huge amounts of parking.

Example: Trump Tower Chicago.
486 residential condos
286 hotel rooms
1000 parking spaces

You're using one project in another city to justify a well-oiled machine of disproportionate and excessive amounts of automobile parking throughout Detroit. I could understand if Detroit had an occupied building on every block of downtown, but it doesn't. Please explain how this stretch is applicable here.

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 446
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danindc-

I'm with you all the way on this one,

but the Trump and the Book are simular sized projects so I understand the need for more parking.

And if we can add a few condos to the equation, the better.

<313>

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1786
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Back in the fifties and sixties (Pre-Walgreens and CVS pharmacies) Kinsel's downtown was the only 24/7 pharmacy in Detroit. They did a lot of business due to that.

Wschnitt
Username: Wschnitt

Post Number: 35
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone have any new pictures?

Oliverdouglas
Username: Oliverdouglas

Post Number: 131
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

re: new pictures of Griswold - just prep work so far, not much to see.

Ptpelee
Username: Ptpelee

Post Number: 25
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 6:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the '20's and '30's the Tunnel Bus would stop in front of Kinsel's drug store. My Grandfather said if you stayed there long enough you would always see someone form "Down home" get off the bus. (Nova Scotia). At the time the trains from Eastern Canada arrived directly across the river where Dieppe Park is now.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 2455
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe there were two Brass Rails -- the one on Adams across from Grand Circus Park and the one just down Michigan Avenue from Kinsel's (near People's).

I still wonder why the old United Shirt (now American Coney Island annex) building was reduced from four stories to two. Fire, maybe?

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 5000
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It doesnt even look like the same building Fury unless they removed the stairs on the Griswold side...

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 45
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think it will have a big effect on the overall skyline (even if it's two more stories) because it's so closely packed in between even taller buildings that only poke at the overall skyline. It niec to hear that it will be taller though.

They've already begun on fixing the streets and streetscapes for Grand River and Griswold.

(Message edited by Detroitrise on September 26, 2007)

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1760
Posted on Saturday, September 29, 2007 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like it will be pretty visible from the Capitol Park side as it is taller than any of the other buildings on its block. http://www.thegriswold.com/gal lery.htm

Toog05
Username: Toog05

Post Number: 162
Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How is the griswold coming along?

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 429
Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 11:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The site doesn't look any different than it did when they first demoed People's Outfitting. The Book-Cadillac really looks nice with windows, though.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 901
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

as of nov 2

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 390
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is the Griswold condos a go ahead for sure? I know they are building the parking garage but was wondering if the status of the condos is the same..
With all the financing problems in Michigan and developers haveing a hard time building anywhere it seems I was wondering if the bank pulled the financing on the condo portion?

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 268
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Slow going on the Griswold. Perhaps it will speed up in the spring now that the caissons are being poured. Im excited to see it get going.

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 651
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://modeldmedia.com/develop mentnews/griswold12307.aspx

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2083
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Griswold's..."concrete panel walls will start rising at the end of December."

Pre-cast? Anybody know? Can't say that I have ever seen a precast deck with an occupied building on top of it. This could be a first.

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 491
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd assume it would look similar to the elevator garage at Lofts of Merchant's Row.

Warrenite84
Username: Warrenite84

Post Number: 193
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 2:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't the Greektown Garage mostly pre-cast panels?

Tigers2005
Username: Tigers2005

Post Number: 168
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 8:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was all precast panels.

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 269
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

nearly all parking decks are precast, It doesnt mean theyre not unique but rather that pouring them offsite is less expensive and can be done faster.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2090
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At Greektown, the parking was precast whereas the hotel is cast-in-place. You can't put something on top of precast. Pre cast does not work the same as cast-in-place.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2091
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pre-cast: http://www.flickr.com/photos/g ab482/531971896/
Cast-in-place: http://www.flickr.com/photos/g ab482/2080628275/

Danindc

Post Number: 3789
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

At Greektown, the parking was precast whereas the hotel is cast-in-place. You can't put something on top of precast. Pre cast does not work the same as cast-in-place.

Huh? I have a building under construction now that uses a substantial quantity of precast planks for the floor systems.

True, precast concrete is prestressed, and is reinforced very differently from most cast-in-place construction. If you couldn't "place anything on top" of precast, though, it'd be pretty useless, no?

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2093
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well you can put pre-cast on top of pre-cast, but not much else. Once you get a pre-cast parking deck much taller then 8 levels, then pre-cast doesn't hold up too well.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2094
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now, perhaps only the walls are going to be precast panels whereas the structure is to be cast in place. That is another possibility.

Danindc

Post Number: 3790
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Well you can put pre-cast on top of pre-cast, but not much else. Once you get a pre-cast parking deck much taller then 8 levels, then pre-cast doesn't hold up too well.

And you base this on what? If the design calcs demonstrate that it works, isn't that more robust than some made-up rule-of-thumb?

Any reason why one couldn't frame structural steel or even wood into precast concrete?

quote:

Now, perhaps only the walls are going to be precast panels whereas the structure is to be cast in place. That is another possibility.

Walls are structure too, if they are load-bearing.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1468
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Trolley plaza is a tall structure that is precast on top of a garage and it is 25 years old.

Millender Center is mostly precast over garage and is 20 years old. Go to Toronto and you will see buildings like that everywhere.

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 151
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't the Millender Center Precast as well?

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 654
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.modeldmedia.com/dev elopmentnews/griswold12307.asp x

Botornig
Username: Botornig

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From what my sources tell me, the condos will be a steel structure on top of the parking garage. The garage is being reinforced to support this structure.

I am one of the buyers of a unit.

Kenp

Post Number: 905
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Botornig, If you give us a tour when you move in I will buy the beer.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2122
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The reason why you don't want residential units on top of a pre-cast deck is because pre-cast decks move. Hopefully the 'reinforced' deck is done well.

Danindc

Post Number: 3810
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The reason why you don't want residential units on top of a pre-cast deck is because pre-cast decks move. Hopefully the 'reinforced' deck is done well.

Everything moves--especially in a seismic event.

The framing for the residential units is likely supported by columns--not precast plank.

In the case of buildings, "done well" is irrelevant. You either design and build for the appropriate design loads, or you don't.

Nickstone
Username: Nickstone

Post Number: 31
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Botornig, where can I find information on the rates these places will be selling for? I was stunned to visit the website and find that they had small units (as well as large), increasing the possibility of my being able to possibly afford one... anyway if you can point me in the right direction to find out how much these places are selling for, I'd appreciate that very much

Botornig

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kenp,

sure I'll give ya a tour once I move in. I am hoping it's closer to 2008 than 2009 :-)

Botornig

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nickstone,

If you give me your email, I can have someone call you about it. I don't think they post the prices publically. You are correct, they converted some of the larger spaces into 2 smaller ones so that they could appeal to the younger professionals that can't afford the big units.

I think the smaller units were selling for under 200k, if I remember.

This project is going to be awesome when completed. As soon is the structure is in the air, you will see the demand increase significantly.

Upscale condos in the central business district? I never would have imagined.

-Botornig

Kenp

Post Number: 953
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Botornig,
Any info that you can share regarding the decision to postpone the building of the Griswold condos.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1294
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This thread is pretty much obsolete due to the one below (awaiting edit):

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/messages/5/123567.html?1199298613

(Message edited by DetroitRise on January 02, 2008)

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2178
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...or we can just talk about the Book Cadillac on here...

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1299
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 9:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess, but I didn't know the Book-Cadillac was growing taller.

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 1245
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It actually got a bit shorter, since the height of the main mechanical penthouse was reduced by 11 feet or so.