Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Pontiac Pictures « Previous Next »
Shortest Street in PontiacHpgrmln07-29-07  7:25 am
Pontiac = Detroit jr.?Beavis198107-28-07  3:48 pm
Archive through July 14, 200756packman64 07-14-07  9:25 am
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Miken123
Username: Miken123

Post Number: 18
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alright heres that 65 Pontiac Bonneville as per request. I'm only sorry I didn't take that shot with the top down.

_

Miken123
Username: Miken123

Post Number: 19
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And because someone mentioned the flashy dashes in the 65 ponchos here is 2 shots to show the chrome/wood veneered dashes. Both same car just in different light :-) Hope you enjoy!

b

c

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2371
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I took these photos of the 1924 Oakland on display at the Oakland County Courthouse back in April:

oakland1

oakland2

oakland3

The county received this car as a gift from Frank and Judy Hewett, who lived in the Franklin St. home of George Hannum, the president of Oakland Motor Car Company from 1920-1924.

Kathleen

Post Number: 2372
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And some Pontiac area automotive sites taken on Memorial Day this year...

Rapid Motor Vehicle Co., 34 Rapid St. The Pontiac Power Co. plant on the former Rapid site still stands, minus the smokestack.

rapid1

Standard Motor Co., 24 Osmun St. Established 1901 (date visible over doorway). Company sign still visible on the west side of the building.

standard1

Pontiac Spring and Wagon Works, 20 Franklin Rd. Established 1899. By 1907, producing the first "Pontiac" cars. Company sign still visible on the north side of the building.

pontiacspring1

Home of Beaudette Jr., 269 W. Huron.

beaudetteJr

Oakland Motor Car Co., Pontiac Motor Division, 196 Oakland Ave. (Cesar E. Chavez). The original Oakland Motor Car Co. buildings on this site were demolished in 1934. This is the oldest existing building dating from the expansion of Oakland Motor Co. in 1918 after the company was folded into General Motors.

oaklandmotorcar1

Notes from the Pontiac Auto Heritage Story and Driving Tour brochure compiled by the Oakland County Economic Development & Community Affairs office.

Ray
Username: Ray

Post Number: 939
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 12:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The loop or whatever the hell its called is a crime against humanity.

Why isn't Pontiac going gangbusters. It's got history, architecture and location?

Hardliner
Username: Hardliner

Post Number: 65
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 12:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All the Auto plants closed. There's a Bible college up there that's been there for year. Midwestern Baptist College, it's on Golf Dr. ever seen it?

Luckycar
Username: Luckycar

Post Number: 25
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 8:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All the auto plants are not closed.GM Powertrain is there with an expansion going on.There is still stamping being done.The service parts place is still on Joslyn.The GM Truck Plant is still there.The Woodward/South Blvd.Plant still has something going on,as does the old Fiero Plant on Baldwin.Lake Orion is near by making G6'S.
The downtown bldgs. are for sale/lease but what big office in the burbs isn't?And Centerpoint would make great location for someone if Jenny and her court in Lansing would only try.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 1011
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 9:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

All the Auto plants closed.

You obviously know more about Bible Colleges than you do about Auto Plants. When it comes to auto plants, Pontiac was just as dependent on GM as was Flint, but by comparison, Pontiac has gotten off lightly. Yes, employment levels in the Pontiac area auto plants have been trimmed by productivity increases over the years, but where the Pontiac area employment has really taken a hit is in the disappearance of GM white-collar engineering and office jobs.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 824
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Luckycar, thanks for starting this post! Is your Father-in-law of Asian extraction? I have never met him, but Mr. Lucky sounds like it. Thanks all for the fine history and photos posted above. Again, this is a good education from a city known for its cars. I once had a girlfriend in Pontiac, Cecilia, oh the heart aches...but that’s another story.

Luckycar

Post Number: 26
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Asian!We're as jewish as they make.Yiddish is our second language. He was born and grew up in Pontiac.He worked at GMC before going off to WW2.After the war he opened an auto parts yard before going into selling the whole car.
People come thru door and ask,"is Mr.Lucky here",always with a smile.And he is!

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1831
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you are Jewish, I suppose that Mr. Lucky knew Sam Allen who operated the junk yard next to Gaukler Moving and Storage. He abutted the train tracks that ran over Orchard Lake Ave. just East of the Elks Lodge. Remember the carnival that was in the Lodge parking lot for several summers?
Then there was Simm's Dept store at the North end of town. I remember him visiting at 149 Franklin Blvd.

Dustin89
Username: Dustin89

Post Number: 51
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A small correction for Luckycar: the Woodward/South Blvd. Validation Center is closing or is already closed. This was unexpected by the city of Pontiac, and thus furthered their budget troubles this year. The GM complex stretching from Joslyn to Baldwin, and Montcalm up to north of Columbia is still very active, and there is some new construction there. A large postal sorting facility is being built facing Montcalm, at Glenwood, filling some of the space where the foundry once was. There is still an active plant at Opdyke & South Boulevard. There are, however, some vacant GM buildings scattered in and around the Centerpoint campus, including one on South Boulevard just east of Martin Luther King, Jr. Boulevard.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5456
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Rock knows Jews. Pontiac has a synagogue and an entire Jewish community apart from Detroit's sprawling Jewish community. Every medium sized Michigan town has a Jewish community.

Collecting junk has always been a part of Jewish life in America. Now they go to MD conventions. (Metal Dealers) Families who once hauled junk in rented horse carts are now doing just fine.

So let me get it straight, does Pontiac make cars anymore in Pontiac?

If not, where then?

jjaba, Westsider.

Dustin89

Post Number: 52
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think any Pontiac-branded autos are made within city limits. As mentioned above, the G6 is manufactured in Orion Twp. The vehicles made in Pontiac are mostly trucks-GMC and also Chevy, I believe.

Jjaba

Post Number: 5458
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Keep the info. coming. We know there still is a Pontiac car so it must be made somewhere. And they've got a full line from which to choose.
Thanks.

jjaba.

Jjaba

Post Number: 5459
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On his way to Franklin blvd. to his Grad. internship, jjaba pulled off the side of Telegraph Rd. to listen to the radio, November, 1963. President John F. Kennedy was shot and then Walter Cronkite told us on CBS News that he was dead. jjaba was driving his 1957 Ford Custom, two-tone, two door. Everybody remembers where they were the day JFK was murdered.

jjaba, WSU Alum.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 2657
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All this talk about Mr. Lucky triggered a memory of a TV series by that name. It only ran from October 1, 1959 to June 1, 1960 yet it's light, jazzy theme song by Henry Mancini is stuck in my head now.

Here's a YouTube of it with a young Jack Nicholson.

How a thing like that can stick in your head for so long is beyond me.

Oh, um, Pontiac. A bullet went through our living room in Pontiac back in the '70s. We moved out the next day.

Exmotowner
Username: Exmotowner

Post Number: 352
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 8:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

anyone have any memories of Tobogganing at Murphy Park? My dad use to take us there every winter. Is it still there and operating? Anyone know?

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 1072
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To answer Jjaba's query in full:

Orion Twp.-- G6
Lordstown, OH.-- G5
Wilmington, DE-- Solstice
Doraville, GA-- Montana SV6 (for Canada and Mexico only)
Fontana, CA-- Vibe
Oshawa, ON-- Grand Prix
Ingersoll, ON-- Torrent
Elizabeth, Australia-- G8 (early 2008)

Jjaba

Post Number: 5461
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Burnsie. jjaba printed this info. up for his references. He loves auto plant tours.

Sad to think about how GM messed over Pontiac as badly as Detroit, Flint, and Lansing. To think that no Pontiacs are built in Pontiac is just terrible. Just exactly what is GM thinking?
Who can forget Michael Moore trying to see Roger Smith when this crap was coming down really hard.

jjaba, Proud Olds Bravada owner.

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 1075
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba-- Here's a cool link that details GM's US and Canada production for last month. I stumbled upon it yesterday. It's a great reference and I'll definitely be checking Reuters for the latest car stats in the future.
http://today.reuters.com/stock s/QuoteCompanyNewsArticle.aspx ?view=PR&symbol=GM&storyID=191 117+03-Jul-2007+PRN

Jjaba

Post Number: 5463
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fantstic data, Burnsie. Merci!
jaba.

Dustin89

Post Number: 53
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I definitely think Pontiac was messed up by GM, because quite a bit of the city is GM property. However, it's still a relatively stable city that hasn't experienced too much population loss: its high point was a pop. of 72,000 people; I think it's at about 65 or 68,000 now. The largest employers in the city are the three hospitals. Compared to Detroit or Flint, Pontiac got off easy, and is still an active auto plant town.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1524
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pontiac is like Flint--they weren't much before GM and they are a shadow of their former selves after GM.

it's one of those ecclesiastes 3:1-8 things.

(Message edited by 56packman on July 16, 2007)

Luckycar

Post Number: 27
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes,Mr.Lucky knows the Sam Allen family very well.The jewish cong. in Pontiac moved to West Bloomfield.It was called Bnai Isreal,on Onedia street.
My zadie,grandfather,went with the horse and cart around the east side of Detroit in the 1920s/1930s.My father,brother,uncle and I were all in the scrap metal business.Now it's used cars,call me meshugga!

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 193
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Exmotowner, Murphy Park is indeed open and still has the big hill. About two years ago I took a walk around the park in the fall. Not a bad place except for the graffiti and the guy toking one down in the back of the park by the river. Anyway, great pics of the city posted here. I drive by just about every single one of them every day.

Jjaba

Post Number: 5464
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Luckycar, so what happened to the old B'Nai Yisrael building?

Also, does ther move to Bloomfield, you are now in the Metro Jewsih community without an identity with Pontiac?

Is there a Pontiac suburb for Jews?
jjaba.

The_rock

Post Number: 1834
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, I remember Bnai Isreal on Oneida Street. After the Gaukler home was torn down on Franklin Blvd, two of my aunts shared an apartment in the little apartment building that was located right next door to it. Small world.
Lots of pleasant memories of Pontiac. We have 6 generations of family members buried at Oak Hill Cemetery on University Drive ( both sides of the street).

Luckycar

Post Number: 28
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The shul is now a church,of course.Same pattern as Detroit.Not many of us here in Pontiac,we've moved to the south, the Bloomfields,and west to Commerce and West Bloomfield.More pics to be taken when it stops raining,finally.

The_rock

Post Number: 1837
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 6:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WOW--There is a tear in my eye. 94 posts for Pontiac Pictures, a thread that started life under "Discuss Detroit",but does not discuss Detroit.
Itsjeff would be proud.

Kathleen

Post Number: 2379
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 6:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And in itsJeff's honor, here's a link to a previous Pontiac thread: https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/76017/79888.html

Unfortunately, the several links within referencing even more DYes threads on Pontiac are not working and probably are lost forever.

Luckycar

Post Number: 32
Posted on Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 7:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Pontiac Retail Store as it looks today.University and Mill.

Karl
Username: Karl

Post Number: 8771
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 1:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you, Luckycar! Lots of wonderful memories of that place - and the great cars that passed thru, IMO the wonder years of Pontiac - they never looked better.

Again, many thanks.

Luckycar

Post Number: 33
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More Pontiac pics.Wisner School and Stadium,Cesar Chavez/Oakland Ave./Dixie Hyw.

Flybydon
Username: Flybydon

Post Number: 150
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathleen

Post Number: 2385
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Flybydon! That is a cool photo of Wide Track Drive, now known as The Loop. Funny how it seems more circular when you're driving it!!

56packman

Post Number: 1558
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The former Pontiac retail store is today a Uaw center with a misspelled sign.

it just fits

Dan
Username: Dan

Post Number: 1425
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

“UAW Employee Training Center”

Only Employee is misspelled. HA!

(Message edited by dan on July 25, 2007)

Dan
Username: Dan

Post Number: 1426
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

*Note I had to correct my own misspelling, HA again.

Jyogi
Username: Jyogi

Post Number: 11
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ETA sorry posted the reply before I saw someone else already covered this.

JJaba

You said <<<pontiac>>>

Are you sure the synagogue is still there?
I remember reading in the part 7 years they closed the synagogue and it was a big deal when the few remaning members gave the torah to on of the shuls in West Bloomfield as they walked it all the way there....

Do you know where it was?
Id like to see the building.

I lived in Pontiac for almost 2 years.
Loft 69 W Huron (right on the corned of Huron and the loop) it was fun but the town is really dead... Its just gotten worse since they lost funding on the Strand.

(Message edited by jyogi on July 25, 2007)

(Message edited by jyogi on July 26, 2007)

The_rock

Post Number: 1857
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 8:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Miken---About those two photos you posted back on July 12, I recognize the facade of the Strand Theatre in the first photo, but is that shot of the upper floors of that building the old Peoples State Bank now Pontiac State Bank Building?
Frankly, I thought the PSBB had a "fancier" facade than that photo shows. A wild guess would be the old Riker Building.I am stumped on that photo!

Luckycar

Post Number: 35
Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 7:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is for all who have asked,"where would Homer Simpson eat in Pontiac?".Hmm,chili bowl.Across from the old Pontiac Motor Div.HQ. on Oakland/Cesar Chavez.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6286
Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 8:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was wondering. Since Cesar Chavez Street was placed. Where are Mexican/ Hispanic businesses? Last time I walked through that street. I only saw 3 Mexican/ Hispanic stores.

Luckycar

Post Number: 36
Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not any Mexican/hispanic stores that I can think of.Baldwin or Perry,maybe Montcalm have many more.They should have kept Oakland Ave.I think it was supposed to be temp.,but Pontiac clownsil being up to speed.....

Dustin89

Post Number: 69
Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a Hispanic grocery on Baldwin on the corner of Howard, just a few blocks east of Oakland. I'm not sure where exactly the center of the Hispanic community in Pontiac would be, but I would guess Perry Street. Cesar Chavez should be Oakland Avenue to simplify things-the road already changes from Dixie Hwy to Cesar Chavez to Saginaw Street; and isn't it still called Oakland Avenue near the border with Waterford, or are the addresses on the buildings there just outdated?

56packman

Post Number: 1566
Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone have a picture of the old Green Parrot restaurant on Perry st.? I loved that neon sign!

The_rock

Post Number: 1863
Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 7:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Or, speaking of Perry Street--- a picture of Pontiac's Jewish clothier, Sam Benson, whose business establishment was located at 20 S. Perry Street and who used to advertise with a catchy jingle on Pontiac's "official" radio station WCAR (located on Telegraph Road)
"Shop at 20 and Save Plenty".
Lord--why do I remember these things when I can't remember three minutes ago where I set my glasses down?
Fond memories of Pontiac--a wonderful town in its time--maybe someday there will be a Pontiacyes.com

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 198
Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lucky, nice pix of the Chili Bowl! I was just driving past it on Friday and thought of this thread.

As a resident, I would say most of the Hispanic (Latino? Chicano?) community is in both the Baldwin Road and the Perry Street corridors. There are many Mexican restaurants/groceries on both. The north end is also home to most of the city's Vietnamese/Hmong population.

Dustin89

Post Number: 70
Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diversity is one of Pontiac's strong points. There is no majority ethnicity or race, just a plurality. I believe it is something like 45% black, 35% white, and the remainder a mix. It's a very diverse community.