Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Realistic lower Woodward retail ideas « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Downtown_remix
Username: Downtown_remix

Post Number: 407
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What retail do we need more urgently on the strip?

Borders Books
CVS
Salad Creations
Hard Rock Cafe
Detroit Breakfast Grill
Ef Mcnally (SP)
Bee sporting goods
Ben n Jerrys
Kinkos

What other retailers do we need that falls into the empty links on the strip??

Mc Donalds
Fridays
Mels Diner,50s theme with flo on roller skates.
Big fish
Oslo II
Motown Cafe
Motor City museum

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 697
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grocery. I know the demand is not there, but for those that live downtown a small market with FRESH stuff is an urgent need.

Spitcoff
Username: Spitcoff

Post Number: 114
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i think a high end grocery would be nice currently the closest quality market is holiday in royal oak. This is the main reason I have not moved downtown

Ramcharger
Username: Ramcharger

Post Number: 355
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Woodward could use a Crate & Barrel, a Linens & More and a couple of decent jewelry stores. An Apple computer store would be nice as well.

(Message edited by Ramcharger on July 09, 2007)

Mind_field
Username: Mind_field

Post Number: 743
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What the hell? A MCDONALDS on the main street of our downtown? uh, no.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3213
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Groceries, groceries, groceries.

I live without a car (albiet A2), but the only time I have to take a bus or bum a ride is to go get affordable groceries. There are some small markets nearby but their not full service. The same situation holds for Detroit, only there really aren't even any small places. Downtown becomes a complete neighborhood when people can walk to get everything. Eastern Market is great and you can get so much there with a short bus/bike/walk trip, but you still need a full service store down there.

I think some more breakfast/lunch/dinner restaurants are always needed downtown. Clubs and bars are not high on the list, there's plenty of late night downtown activity at this point; people down there just need some more basic, low/moderate cost eating options.

A home furnishings store that's really basic (not too expensive or designer-focused) would be great. We don't need IKEA-like prices, which are unattainable anyway, but just something basic; there's a large furniture store on Division in Ann Arbor the caters to renters...Detroit could use something similar.

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 1623
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about a Starbucks?

Anyway, I can see a:

-Payless ShoeSource
-Banking Branch inside old MNB
-Footlocker
-Footaction
-Champs
-Rainbow
-Simply Fashions
-GameStop
-Chernin Shoe Outlet
-Forman Mills
-Starbucks Coffee
-Ashley Stewart (overtime)
-Suit Warehouse or it's superstore
-Burlington Coat Factory
-CitiTrends
-DollarTree
-Mike's Fresh Market
-Baja Fresh (After Quicken's Move)
-Martinizing Cleaners (Overtime)
-Rent-A-Center
-Lee Beauty Supply

(Note: These are both listing realistic profitable retail while sticking to the Shopper's demanded stores)

I can see Rite-Aid reopening it's Griswold location after the renovations and development is done over there.

(Message edited by Urbanize on July 09, 2007)

Dan
Username: Dan

Post Number: 1422
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a McDonald’s on the Champ Elysees in Paris, and one in Times Square, not that I am in support of a McDonalds on Woodward.

Downtown_remix

Post Number: 408
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MC DONALDS BELONGS ON WOODWARD,, WHERE ELSE WOULD U TAKE YOUR 8 YEAR OLD AFTER THE GAME? Plus its so universal, people from all over like to see basics they are familiar with. Big golden arches next to burlinton coat factory

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1304
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 7:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Forget Dollar Tree, the Family Dollar and Dollar General stores better service the apartment/loft dwellers because these sell stuff more than $1, and carry name brands like Clorox, Pamolive, Murphy's Oil Soap, as well as some hardware.

I could also see a Sander's (though the Ben and Jerry's, Baskin Robbins, and Coldstone probably already service the current population).

Detroit could use a lunchtime, afterwork, Saturday shuttle from Campus Martius to Eastern Market. I'd be concerned that by opening too much market space downtown you could decrease the profitability of Eastern Market. I'd love to see the day where both can happen, but I'm just trying to be realistic like Urbanize.

Spitcoff

Post Number: 116
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Downtown_remix why would you not just go to the Mc Donalds in the park..... and besides go to Lafayette Coney way better and a Detroit tradition

Spitcoff

Post Number: 117
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We need no major fast food in the CBD!!!!!!

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 103
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Spitcof...ever checked out Harbortown Market? It's not that bad of a grocery store!

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 434
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

MC DONALDS BELONGS ON WOODWARD,, WHERE ELSE WOULD U TAKE YOUR 8 YEAR OLD AFTER THE GAME?

...how about the McDonald's one mile up Woodward, on the former site of the Graystone Ballroom?

(And isn't there a McD's inside Comerica already?)

Detroitstar

Post Number: 700
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 10:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is also a McD's at 75 and Mack and inside the Ren Cen. I dont think we need another one.

The harbortown market is overpriced, but their deli is first class all the way.

Urbanize

Post Number: 1632
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Or how about the McDonalds on Mack and I-75?

Plus, they can take their kids to the nice little Burger King on Lafayette/Trumbell and Gratiot/St. Aubin, or The White Castle on Michigan/Trumbell and Woodward in the New Center Area. To be frank, an intelligent person would go to the Louie's on Mack or just wait to go to a restaurant by their house. A genius wouldn't eat Fast Food at all.

Spitcoff

Post Number: 118
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

never been to harbor town how is the meat and produce

Detroitstar

Post Number: 701
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The deli meats are good, but I usually went to farmer jack for the larger cut meats. The produce was hit or miss, but I'm kinda picky in that regard.

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 104
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd say its the highest quality grocery store in the city (that I've been to). I used to shop at hollwood/holiday markets in RO when I lived there, and it is the closest in the city that would compare.

Downtown_remix

Post Number: 411
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

why is everyone against a fast food joint within walkin distance to everything, and visible from the main street. who can walk to mack an woodward for a big mac? who will walk to white castle on michigan ave from greektown? who will catch a cab from harmony park to go waaaay up gratiot for a whopper? Small minds think alike

Spitcoff

Post Number: 119
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe because fast food is horrible for you and fast food restaurants have no personality. I would much rather grab a gyro from golden fleece or a coney from Lafayette any day over a big mac or whopper

Downtown_remix

Post Number: 412
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

guys your thinking like a typical car obsessed Detroiter, cant get a burger unless you are in the comfort of your car stuck in drive through. we need every business imaginable in the CBD. Guess what>? one day we will function like a normal city.

Spitcoff

Post Number: 121
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 11:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

id love a good burger place in the CBD but why does it have to be fast food. Hunter house is a good choice even though it was way better before it moved into the Hilton Garden. We need Redcoat Tavern or something like that

Downtown_remix

Post Number: 413
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

we need choices. good for you or bad for you, retail and different restaurants are about choices, variety everybody dont want a gyro or a artery clogging coney dog, the most unhealthy food in the world

Downtown_remix

Post Number: 414
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 11:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KIDS IN THE REDCOAT TAVERN? THERE ARE HUNDREDS OF KIDS DOWNTOWN WITHOUT THEIR FAVORATE EATING CHOICES IN PLAIN CLEAR VIEW, NOT DEEP IN THE REC CEN, OR 2 MILES AWAY FROM CBD.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5446
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 11:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Urbanize, take them after we spell Trumbull. Thanks.

jjaba.

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 2107
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 3:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This thread is full of the dumbest fucking ideas about retail for Detroit I've ever read. Why don't you guys just move to the suburbs? I'm pretty sure Warren has everything you are looking for.

Lower Woodward would be wasted on the lame ideas presented here. If you are going to take the prime real estate in the area and suggest stores that barely qualify for Macomb Mall, I think you need to take a quick look at real urban "Main Streets" around the country and get a clue.

All the suggestions here are pretty stupid, but I have to say the McDonald's takes the cake. Get a clue.

(Message edited by dialh4hipster on July 10, 2007)

Urbanize

Post Number: 1633
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 6:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dialh4hipster:

What retail do you expect to pop up on Woodward anytime soon? Woodward isn't like ANY OTHER Main Street. If we looking at "MAIN STREETS" like State Street, we're basically jumping off of a cliff and hoping we survive. I'm not sure what fantasy world you living in if you expect a Best Buy, Old Navy, JC Penneys, Whole Foods, Steve and Barry's, and especially the more higher end stores to magically open on Woodward. You need to wake up though and smell reality.

McDonalds is the Worst Idea Yet. It's just as bad as having a Starbucks on Woodward. Let's at least keep things original and keep the Chain Fast Food Restaurants away from our "MAIN STREET".

In addition, if you know we can't keep stores at a Mall with over 10,000 Shoppers a day, what makes you think we can keep any on Woodward (considering we only have so many residents, who don't shop daily, and most of th eworking population will be too tired to fight over a parking space just to get something to eat when they could do the same along their route home or at home).

(Message edited by Urbanize on July 10, 2007)

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6180
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 9:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So far Fancy type stores like Mark England DeMode, Dior and Macy's are not ready to make shop in Lower Woodward Business Corridor. Business needs to start off with some dollar stores, fast food restaurants and chothiers, then bring in the fancy shops.

Danny

Post Number: 6181
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 9:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dialh4hipster,

You quote that this thread is full of the dumbest fucking ideas about retail for Detroit I've ever read. Why don't you guys just move to the suburbs? I'm pretty sure Warren has everything you are looking for.

I SAY:

If you like the ghetto, go hit 8 Mile Rd. Detroit is a city on the move to bring any kind of retail to its ghettohoods. Most hip cool skinny white kids rather hang out in Downtown Detroit and Midtown areas rather than playing in front of their cookie cutter homes. Since you're most supportive to suburbantopia go live there. If you with us for the development of Downtown Detroit join in.

Urbanize

Post Number: 1635
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 9:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Danny, do you know where Mark England Moved to or did he just completely bail?

Oliverdouglas
Username: Oliverdouglas

Post Number: 111
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 9:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny, Danny, Danny...

Urbanize

Post Number: 1636
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 9:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Mels Diner,50s theme with flo on roller skates."

Well we already have a Johnny Rocket's and a Hard Rock Cafe along the route. Those make up for it.

Danny

Post Number: 6182
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 9:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They suppose to move to the REN CEN. But I don't see it anywhere.

Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1305
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 9:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DialH, It ain't prime real estate, if it was why would vacancy be so high? You need a plan to cultivate and elevate what we have. There is nothing wrong with suggesting things as this is an exercise without anyone putting up the capital to actually finance anything. Some folks are trying to figure out what niches need to be served, others are trying to figure out how to get to the point of one day being able to get really nice places to shop along Woodward. Reality is that lower Woodward has to crawl before it can walk. Right now its just laying in the crib pooping itself.

Urbanize

Post Number: 1638
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 9:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OMG Oliver, I love your name. You reminded me of the show about the Hungarian Manhatten deprived lady who married a farm loving husband and was forced to move away from her luxury Apartment and TimeSquare to live on a farm with a pig named Arnold and handy "Men" The Monroe "Brothers" that comes on TV Land at the 10 AM hour back to back.

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 884
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are around 3 McDonalds at Times Square, and at least two on the Champ (one of them has weird waterfall urinals).

Oliverdouglas

Post Number: 112
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 9:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Urbanize:

That is of course, where the name comes from - and I live in Green Acres.

Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 2108
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You people have the lowest standards I have ever encountered in my entire life.

The "fantasy" of a JC Penny or Steve & Barry's. Please. More like a nightmare.

Urbanize

Post Number: 1645
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sweet. I was just trying to be a bit obvious about it without stating the obvious.

Urbanize

Post Number: 1646
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Again Dialh4hipster, we're just trying to keep it real. We'll be lucky to get a JCP or Steve and Barry's, let along what your imaginary Woodward has.

So like I said, stop imagining. The name of the Thread if REALISTIC Woodward retail ideas. Speaking of, you never told us your REALISTIC Ideas. No fantasies please.

If you want your "Imaginary Woodward", live in Chicago and shop on State Street everyday or live in LA and stop on Rodeo Drive everyday.

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 1316
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dialh, Go back and play in front of your cookie cutter house. LOL

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1105
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A McDonald's? Detroit already has more than it's fair share of those. The only real things missing are a grocery store and retail. You aren't gonna attract an upscale grocer into downtown if you can't even attract a mid-range retailer. I think an Old Navy or Gap would do fine on Merchants Row...

Maybe move in some of the Detroit novelty stores? Is it feasible for the city to subsidize the rent for the smaller retailers in order to get those Woodward storefronts filled? They should be doing whatever they have to in order to keep those places filled.

Oliverdouglas

Post Number: 113
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't get out much - what's Steve and Barry's?

There's probably a case to be made for a Dollar Store, Payless, etc. in the CBD, but please, not on Woodward. It may not be realistic to expect a Gucci store to start the retail ball rolling on Lower Woodward, but let's try and at least start in the middle somewhere. Local talent with a Detroit personality, (though I know the rents are high for those with good ideas and no money). And not just services. Stores with great merchandise to display in windows that encourage walking and window shopping. Wish I had a shitload of money.

Urbanize

Post Number: 1648
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I think an Old Navy or Gap would do fine on Merchants Row..."

I doubt it. I'm sure they're barely profiting at the Macomb Mall locations and the GAP location at Eastland high-tailed it years ago.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 1107
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Macomb Mall isn't in the CBD of a major city.

And from what I remember of those two malls, they were more geared towards the not-so-yuppie demographic.

Urbanize

Post Number: 1650
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, but those Malls at the same time have a higher amount of Daily Shoppers than Woodward has in a month. What's makes you think that the Downtown Location will be profitable? There's not enough shoppers to support it yet.

Just like in the Grocery Thread, it's not about the people or location, but about the Money. If these businesses aren't going to attract enough shoppers or profit, what makes you think they will invest on the location?

Iheartthed

Post Number: 1108
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's because there is no where to shop on Woodward...

Urbanize

Post Number: 1651
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On the Contrary, There's

Studio Couture,
Athlete's Foot,
Tall-Eez Shoes,
Eatern Beauty Supply
Borders
CVS
J-Bee's

Those seem like places to me. However, their prsence haven't made a big difference in terms of Shoppers and they probably haven't made a decent profit yet.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 1110
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're not serious, are you?

Urbanize

Post Number: 1652
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's that Chain Store Mentality sticking out. they're still places to spend money. Basically, any place you spend money for necessities or gifts anytime is shopping.

93typhoon
Username: 93typhoon

Post Number: 30
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

target and taco bell - gotta love the taco bell!

Urbanize

Post Number: 1654
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LMAO! A Taco Bell would be perfect. There's none anywhere else near the CBD (besides REN CEN).

Iheartthed

Post Number: 1111
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"There's that Chain Store Mentality sticking out. they're still places to spend money. Basically, any place you spend money for necessities or gifts anytime is shopping."

Chain store mentality? CVS is a pharmacy. It shouldn't even be included. A beauty supply store is not destination shopping. People aren't coming downtown by the thousands to shop at a beauty supply store.

Go visit Dupont Circle and Georgetown in DC. Center City in Philly. Soho in Manhattan. That's real retail, and no it doesn't have to be all chain retail... but it has to be retail.

Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 2109
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of the questions seems to be "what major chains can afford to put their stores on Woodward," but the REAL question should be "why do landlords think the 'market' rate is in the $20+/sf range when every single storefront is empty?"

Last time I checked, the market rate meant what the market can support, not what you think your space should be worth.

Another question is why are all the spaces along Woodward so huge? And why are so many of them in need of a (tenant-financed) buildout or renovation?

Finally, what is going to draw people to Woodward? We don't need services for the 387 people who live in the area on the "main street," those can sit on the periphery. And is a replication of Oakland Mall really going to lure people away from, uh, Oakland Mall? The answer is no.

Lower Woodward, and Washington Boulevard too, need retail that will draw people downtown. Unique, independent retail is what's needed, and enough of it to create a critical mass and a cool shopping area.

Those spaces right now are way too big and way too expensive to land most small business tenants, and those are the people who will actually undertake the risk. The chains you all seem to love so much will not come down until they see business is already there.

Unless of course they negotiate a sweetheart lease deal, one small businesspeople could never get.

So no, I don't have specific store names to suggest for the lower Woodward area, because the stores I think would "realistically" work best there don't necessarily exist yet.

Urbanize

Post Number: 1655
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Iheartthed

DETROIT IS NOT PHILLY, DC, NYC. As I just told Dialh, if you want that type of shopping, then move to those places. Until then, deal with the reality.

Urbanize

Post Number: 1656
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"So no, I don't have specific store names to suggest for the lower Woodward area, because the stores I think would "realistically" work best
there don't necessarily exist yet."

In other words, you want more Mark Englands?

People aren't to come from all over to spend money at a store that doesn't fit their budget or fashion. I agree on the Unique, Independent Retail, but the fact is, this country is driven by Chain Stores. If that was the case, then the stores on Woodward would have generated other stores LONG ago and some wouldn't even be closing up.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 1112
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"DETROIT IS NOT PHILLY, DC, NYC. As I just told Dialh, if you want that type of shopping, then move to those places. Until then, deal with the reality."

Eh, I already did. I'm just explaining to you why nobody is shopping on Woodward, whereas they are shopping in those other places. Take it or leave it.

Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 2110
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, I see, you are on the "everyone is poor and only poor people will come to the middle of downtown Detroit to shop" bandwagon. Is your real name Quinn by any chance?

Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 2111
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also, the problem has already been that people who want that kind of shopping have moved to those other places. Why? Because residents there didn't settle for a Steve & Barry's as the cornerstone of their downtown retail.

Maybe you should step aside and let people with a bigger vision promote their ideas, instead of wasting time arguing with your backwards ass.

Downtown_remix

Post Number: 415
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Motown Cafe (Statues of Sup
Fridays
Bennegans
Motor City Grill (Booths made from old school cars)
H & M Clothing Store
Smaller Macys on Hudsons block along with a few other smaller stores within a office and residential complex.
Move Johnney Rockets to Campus Mart (fox theater location aint workin out.
School of modern dance(near campus mart)

Smitch
Username: Smitch

Post Number: 20
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with Dial. Lower Woodward specialty shop. Not the same stuff that you can get in any mall in any suburb. My short list:

-NOVELTY SHOPS!!!
-Art stores
-Flower shops
-coffee shops
-jewelry stores
-high end grocery
-video store

Thats all i can think of now.

Spitcoff

Post Number: 123
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We need to take a more upscale approach to downtown detroit to attract more people from the suburbs to move to downtown. I feel that more upper end retail shops like in birmingham or royal oak will do this. If they put in dollar stores and cheap retail it will just attract the wrong kind of people downtown. They are building $250,000 lofts we need the retail to support the kind of people that can afford to buy these places. We need to keep the ghetto out of downtown

Vintagesoul
Username: Vintagesoul

Post Number: 20
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow. This is a hot-button topic...

Ok. I'm gonna rant this off real fast then I'm gonna go run and hide before the fallout comes.

Heh.

I would love to see the following (what I feel to be *realistic* for Woodward shops to be):

Target
Old Navy
Bed Bath & Beyond
Famous Footwear
Some kind of Grocery, maybe like U Foods?
Walgreens
Friday's
Some type of mainstream Seafood like Tom's

and...

*gulp*

Macy's.

Bijouloveshues
Username: Bijouloveshues

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sanders for sure :-) Like the Ghirardelli soda shop on the Mag Mile, it would be nice to have a classic/ retro feel to it...

some others that might be good:

Filene's Basement
Grocery goes without saying
Department stores (Nordstrom, Macy's)
Jamba Juice
Apple
Sony
H&M
Internet cafe (see www.easyeverything.com) - increases "hang out" revenue and encourages tourism
some designer boutiques/ (would it sustain in this town, I don't know) - Gucci, Ferragamo, JP Tods, BCBG, Kenneth Cole, Benneton, Adidas, Puma, Diesel
H20, Sephora, maybe a couple of day spas (!)
American Apparel, Yellow Rat Bastard (if they were looking to expand outside of NY)

Some art galleries and high end furniture (www.orangeskin.com) would be nice too

oh, there's so many possibilities.

Spitty
Username: Spitty

Post Number: 581
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

www.urbanoutfitters.com would be pretty cool.

Detroitstar

Post Number: 703
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know most of you guys hate chains and all that, but I would really enjoy not having to drive 20 minutes for Buffalo Wild Wings.

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 861
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The designer boutiques were once in the Renaissance Center. I can't remember which ones, but there was a corridor housing European designer stores. Henry Ford lured them with his clout. Of course, they didn't make any money and they dribbled away.

Face it, even if Henry Ford came back and lured those stores to Woodward Ave., the big spenders would still go to Somerset. There are no street people in wheelchairs begging in Somerset, or guys running around shouting to themselves, or any of the other street behaviors that make shopping in Detroit unpleasant.

Upinottawa

Post Number: 885
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Champs-Elysee in Paris includes a rather cool Peugeot store (amongst other automotive company stores). The store has cars on display (including race cars) but makes its living off of selling Peugeot merchandise. I would never buy a Peugeot, but the merchandise (and the store) was pretty cool.

Having Chevy, Ford, Pontiac, Chrysler, and Cadillac stores on Woodward would make a wonderful tourist attraction and would help draw other businesses to the area.

Downtown_remix

Post Number: 416
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"PURE DETROIT"

Ramcharger
Username: Ramcharger

Post Number: 356
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let’s see, upscale retail in the RenCen, I remember a Courreges, a Yves St. Laurent, a Gucci’s, an Ungaro, a Cartier’s, a Godiva Chocolatier and a FAO Schwarz. I used to love FAO Schwarz!

Downtown_remix

Post Number: 417
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

how bout a high end florist, with edible chocolate flowers and other gift items for the office or otherwise. close to campus M.

Starbucks has to hit lower wooward
ESPN ZONE IN THE DAVID WHITNEY BUIDING

MOTOWN WALK OF FAME

ARETHA FRANKLIN'S SOUL FOOD(ALL YOU CAN EAT)

Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 2113
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You have an upscale florist in Blumz, at Gratiot and Broadway.

You have high end furniture at Mezzanine at Broadway & Grand River.

You have a Pure Detroit a block away from Campus Martius in the Guardian Building.

Seriously, does anyone even pay attention to what you have? Or is it all just about what you don't have?

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9536
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Seriously, does anyone even pay attention to what you have? Or is it all just about what you don't have?

I have pointed this out way too many times. People always talk about what we need and why companies don't locate here but never seem to support what we do have.

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 504
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone ever been to Century 21 stores in Manhattan and Bay Ridge? I'd like to see something like that

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1512
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a Bennigan's in Greektown where Sweet Georgia Brown is now, it closed, (not sure why). There was also a McD's in Comerica Park, accessable on non-game days, but it too closed. Although who goes to a ballgame to have McDs, but one would think they may pick up some of the lunch crowd from Downtown workers. But I have a feeling it will be a while before either try to relocate downtown again.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4668
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Would creating a main destination store be a good idea or a bad one for lower Woodward? I am not necessarily talking about a big box chain store either. What could be built here that is no where else in the suburbs? Maybe a Nike Town would work best as a sort of anchor? I think it would because let’s face it….shoes are extremely popular in Detroit and people are tried of Foot Lockers and Dicks (lol). Perhaps an Al Wissam?? I know there is one in Dearborn but why not Detroit. Ikea is a destination…I know, I know. We talked about it but I cannot let this one go. I just don’t know where it could be located in that particular area.

Bob

Post Number: 1516
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are we forgetting that someone tried to create a high-end department store a few years ago and it did not last very long. I would think a chain would look at that and wonder if they could be successful. With that said, there are a few more residents downtown now than there were a few years ago. I want to say the name of the store was Julian Scott.

Patrick

Post Number: 4671
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought Julian Scott was more of a novelty with no prestige or name to it. Sad but true. Most shoppers are lured by the name...not all, but most. What would lure shoppers downtown? That is the question.

Jt1

Post Number: 9537
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I liked Julian SCott but just like most stores it was empty everytime I went in. The staff there was great but no customers to be found.

It's sad that there are usually more people complaining about no retail in downtown than there are supporting the retail in downtown.

Spitcoff

Post Number: 124
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

there already is a starbucks on griswald

Bob

Post Number: 1517
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Patrick, I think you are correct. I think if Julian Scott were to try to give it a go a few years from now, when there are more people in the downtown area with all these new developments going in, there may be a market for something like that, but it was at the wrong time. Also I can not speak to how it was managed so I do not know if there were other issues.

Nainrouge
Username: Nainrouge

Post Number: 225
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Staples or Office Depot.

I know there is a Staples on Jefferson, but I need a place that I can run out to when I need to do a presentation I suddenly notice that I need some supplies. CVS and Kinkos don't cut it.

Jt1

Post Number: 9538
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bob - That is the issue. Everyone is waiting on more development, other people, etc to help revitalize downtown but in all of the times I was in Julian Scott I never saw another person (unless they were shopping with me). The studies have come out about X number of people in the area, X number of disposable dollars but the issue is that people in the area and many that talk about what Detroit needs do not support the places that will make downtown what they want it to be.

With all of the talk on this forum how many people really go out of their way to support local? My guess is that more people on the forum drive to Meijer than go to Honey Bee or any other small local store.

Julian Scott can re-open in a few years and it will fail because people will come up with other reasons why they need to go to the suburbs to shop.

For all of the talk on this forum I question how many people really support the businesses in the city (downtown or otherwise). The owners of Slows may be doing very well but I rarely if ever see people in the downtown retail places trying to make it. Of the numerous times I have been in places like spectacles there is never anyone there.

Reetz12
Username: Reetz12

Post Number: 181
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Side Note - Last week I sat outside for lunch at Salad Creations and, I would have to say 1 out of every 5 people walking by had a CVS bag. Are they doing well ? I know there were talks about extending hours?

Mind_field
Username: Mind_field

Post Number: 744
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 6:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mezzanine, Blumz, and to a lesser extent, Studio Couture right now are islands in a retail desert, and that is thwarting their FULL potential.

IMO, there needs to be a concerted effort amongst the DDA, DEGC, and Woodward property owners to get serious about bringing in retail. there needs to be a critical mass of retailers creating a shopping destination. Not one store next to 3-4 empty storefronts. It's ridiculous that property owners expect to get $20 a square foot. I think something realistic would be a tiered rate system, like charging $5/sq. ft. for an independant retailer, $10 for a restaurant, or $20 for a chain.

It would be nice if this effort was coordinated with something like a couple new light rail lines, one up Woodward, and the other from Ann Arbor to downtown. Coordinated with the opening of a large new corporate hq, or some new festival or event that would draw people downtown and promote the shops. The synergy from these things happening together would be really helpful and lucrative for the Woodward retailers.

Then advertise, advertise, advertise! in the suburbs, at downtown hotels, on the people mover, in local mags, on local tv, on the radio, at conventions, in other cities like toledo, Windsor, Flint, Cleveland, Lansing, etc. Make people know that the stores are open for business!

Most of us will never know what the plans were for the mystery mega development that was to be in the lower Cass Corridor centered around the Masonic Temple. I believe it included significant retail, IIRC. It just demonstrates that local and national developers and their money are keeping a close eye on a resurgent downtown Detroit and it's amazing potential.

Jb3
Username: Jb3

Post Number: 154
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:
" Right now its just laying in the crib pooping itself."

ROTFLMFAO!!!!

quote:
"The designer boutiques were once in the Renaissance Center"

That's because they felt safe in their fortress...candy asses!

quote:
"Having Chevy, Ford, Pontiac, Chrysler, and Cadillac stores on Woodward would make a wonderful tourist attraction and would help draw other businesses to the area."

Why not start a Detroit restaraunt phenomenon that recycles used car parts and uses the metal pieces for the dishware and recycles the oil for deep fried catfish? Better than MickeyD's i'd have to say. (this was a joke, fyi)

Fun thread, but i'll have to agree with Dial4Hipster. If you want more retail, then get out and spend some money in the places that already exist.

Patrick

Post Number: 4674
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What are the benefits of boutique stores (furniture/arts) versus national stores down there?

Qweek
Username: Qweek

Post Number: 339
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

An Apple Store.

Jb3

Post Number: 156
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:
"What are the benefits of boutique stores (furniture/arts) versus national stores down there?"

To me it matters where they ship their goods from. National stores would most likely have contracts in place with international suppliers (possibly sweatshops) in order to make up profits in volume. Boutique stores probably do the same, but they at least have the option not to, by buying locally thus significantly reducing the embodied energy of a product and feeding money back into local economies. It's a loaded question, but this is my simplistic version of why a small local boutique is better. Not too mention you get to know the owners and not just some regional manager that will be replaced next month. Kind of a pride thing if i had to boil it down.

Erikd
Username: Erikd

Post Number: 880
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I completely agree with Dialh4hipster.

In is unlikely for us to get a cluster of high-end national chain retailers on lower Woodward over the next few years, but that doesn't mean that we should go for low-end national retailers instead.

In the lean years of the late 80's and early 90's, lower Woodward had stores such as Rent-A-Center and Payless Shoes. It doesn't make any sense to regress back to that stage, especially since there is a growth of middle and upper class residents in the area. The people living at Merchants Row, the Lofts on Woodward, the Kales Building, the Brush Park condos, The Book Cadillac condos, the Fort-Shelby condos, and the Griswold condos will not shop at Rent-A-Center.

Adding a cluster of local retail stores, such as Mezzanine, Pure Detroit, The Bureau of Urban Living, and the recently departed Julian Scott would make a nice retail district on lower Woodward. This type of downtown retail district would be different than the suburban malls, and more likely to succeed.

As Mind_field pointed out, it is difficult for most of these locally-owned retailers to reach their full potential without being clustered together in a district.

Detroit already has local retailers that have opened stores in the downtown area, and Lower Woodward would be the perfect spot to cluster them.

As Dialh4hipster pointed out, the reason this isn't happening is due to the prohibitive cost of the storefront spaces on lower Woodward. Most local retailers simply can not afford to pay $20+ dollars per sqft for a space that also requires an initial investment of $50,000+ just to do the interior build out.

Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1306
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A RTEnt A Center downtown in the 90's??? Are you sure about that? Who the hell would they rent to? WHere was it located?

Erikd
Username: Erikd

Post Number: 881
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

IIRC, there was a Rent-A-Center on the west side of Woodward, near Grand River. I think it was closed by '96 or '97.

Imperfectly
Username: Imperfectly

Post Number: 250
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would definately not mind a target downtown, or Urban Outfitters... even H&M.
There is an H&M in Soho surrounded by lots of independent retailers catering to the eclectic needs in that area.
I would love to have options on both sides of the price spectrum... but I agree as someone who lives in a loft/condo I don't see myself furnishing my place with my dollar tree finds ! But ya know a great piece from somewhere trendy and unique from mezzanine or bureau will go nicely with my target addictions !!!
I hope when I get some free cash flow I won't have to drive outta the city to go on a spending spree !!!
Oh I also love the little corner market idea...even tho I do live walking distance to Eastern Market my work schedule doesnt coincide with the current hours of ops. there.
I know this is about lower woodward but why the heck doesn't Lafayette park have better retail in our shopping plaza ???? I am certain it could be supported ! I would enjoy a World Market right there in the plaza ...

Why
Username: Why

Post Number: 57
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 12:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What you need first is an EMS team that can (and will) promptly respond to blood splattered at anyone of these recommended establishments.

Rent-a-center? Absolutely hilarious desperation. I remember working at a credit bureau back in 1982 and this woman called complaining that she "more than purchased this refrigerator twice" with the monthly payments she had made over two years. WTF!? And what the H*&^ do you think I can do about this? I wanted to tell her to call Coleman "MF in charge" but just hung up the phone.

Why

Post Number: 58
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 12:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ramcharger, Detroit residents are complaining about the lack of food stores and you're mentioning the need for a couple of "decent jewelry stores"? Good Lord! The rest of the nation is watching (and laughing) Detroit.

Revaldullton
Username: Revaldullton

Post Number: 77
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 12:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would personally refrain from putting tacky cholesterol clogging killing fast food joints like McDonalds,BK, KFC,taco bell etc etc on the drag.

But that's just me. Unfortunately, we have been brainwashed into eating all that unhealthy garbage
and I do understand the income will be good for the area, but still a bad idea.

Im glad I dont eat that junk. yuck.

Some healthier food establishments that serve cheap nutritional food that wont kill you in a matter of months would be much better idea.

But I guess the tacky joints are the real draw.

the good rev

Jb3

Post Number: 175
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 12:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Mr. Why. I know you're bored and i'm going to regret responding to this crap, but...

...the whole nation has issues that are simply magnified in Detroit. We are like the microcosm of a global issue growing uncontrollably. You think you can run from the problems, but you can't. This world ain't big enough. You think you live in some progressive place or some safe haven of a suburb? You're time will come. So i encourage you and the rest of the nation to keep watching. You might learn something. If you don't...well...that's your ignorance. So sleep tight and pretend the bed bugs won't bite, while we here in Detroit will keep pushing for a brighter future.

Cheers!

Michigansheik
Username: Michigansheik

Post Number: 213
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 12:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

honeybee market on bagley is legit for produce. as far as deli goes, can't beat rocky's or randy's in gratiot central market. when is eastern markets makeover supposed to begin.

i'm in favor any retail downtown that is not a liquor store or cellular agent or generic $1 store.

Detroitstar

Post Number: 711
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 1:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Imperfectly, I agree about the Lafayette Park shopping plaza. Both the Thai food place and Cottage Inn are great, as well as the Paris Cafe, but it really would make a great location for a quick stop grocery center or even an electronics store. There is a great open space next to the dollar store that would fit that need perfectly. I would like to be able to get milk without having to drive a mile or more.

There is the spartan store just up the street, but I went there once and vowed to never go back.

Downtown_remix

Post Number: 418
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 2:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ESPN ZONE WOULD BE SO HOT. Word has it that Magic Johnson is shopping around for a movie theater complex to go downtown. I wanna see things that generate foot traffic in combination with the tiger an lion fans walking around.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2286
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 8:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Upscale vs. low end stores, stores that cater to whites vs. stores that cater to blacks, national chains vs. local stores: these are the issues that haunt retail in Downtown Detroit. There are no immediate or simple solutions.

The one realistic thing that needs to happen to lower Woodward is to get a nucleus of stores in one area that would attract foot traffic like Erikd mentioned earlier. If Pure Detroit, Mezzanine, the Urban Bureau were next to each other along lower Woodward you might see more foot traffic, but as long as the building owners want to charge outlandish rents, the clustering of stores is not going to happen.

So, what is the solution? Personally, I think lower Woodward should concentrate on adding more restaurants and bars, not retail. As someone mentioned very early in this post, Woodward already has nightlife. Maybe that should continue with more restaurants and bars. At this point, any retail on lower Woodward should be clustered in whatever development goes on the Hudson's site.

Also, there is the problem of the homeless and mentally ill walking the streets of Downtown Detroit. I walked around downtown on Tuesday and one thing that is disturbing about frequenting businesses there is the eventual confrontation with a street person. Not that each encounter was a serious problem, but it's just that you always have to be on the alert. For example, I was coming out of Ben and Jerry's when this street person starting saying something to me and then proceeded to knock over a table. Now, if I wanted to sit at that table, his actions would have caused a problem. This scene plays out too often in Downtown Detroit. Yet, there were no police walking the area that could have said something to this guy or scare him away. As someone mentioned earlier, dealing with street people affects having businesses in the CBD.

This city is fraught with Catch-22s. That's the reality. Even if more residents move downtown, will they be enough to sustain businesses there. Can lower Woodward one day have the look of Old Woodward in Birmingham? Should it even try? There again, another Catch-22.

(Message edited by royce on July 11, 2007)

Urbanize

Post Number: 1672
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 8:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Word has it that Magic Johnson is shopping around for a movie theater complex to go downtown."

D_r, that is the 20th time you told us that and we haven't heard any other mention of it sense.

Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1307
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 8:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny, I don't remember a Rent-A-Center downtown, but then again there is now way in hell I'd ever walk into one. I like to bargain my major purchases and I've known since a kid that was a predatory business.

Swiburn
Username: Swiburn

Post Number: 172
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 8:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, except for its' Federal Reserve Bank, Minneapolis' downtown could serve as a model for Detroit. They have a Target with underground parking and a Macy's (most of its' business is from l0-2 during the week.)
They don't have a chain grocery store, but they have lots of entertainment and a technical college right downtown.
Detroit downtown doesn't have the masses of people needed to support things. The Gap didn't work in Minneapolis, either.

Urbanize

Post Number: 1676
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 9:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Swiburn, Detroit has a bank as well.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 1118
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The rest of the nation is watching (and laughing) Detroit."

Actually, the rest of the nation stopped watching Detroit long ago. Most are barely aware of its existence anymore...

Urbanize

Post Number: 1680
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't know you could laugh anyone either.

Swiburn

Post Number: 173
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Urbanize, I know Detroit has banks, but the Federal Reserve really brings in people to the financial district. Detroit needs a lot more big offices than just Compuware and GM. And those are self-contained, i.e. nobody has a need to go outside, apparently.
The people need to be there first in place before the stores arrive.

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 2845
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

In the lean years of the late 80's and early 90's, lower Woodward had stores such as Rent-A-Center and Payless Shoes. It doesn't make any sense to regress back to that stage, especially since there is a growth of middle and upper class residents in the area. The people living at Merchants Row, the Lofts on Woodward, the Kales Building, the Brush Park condos, The Book Cadillac condos, the Fort-Shelby condos, and the Griswold condos will not shop at Rent-A-Center.

This is a snotty attitude if I ever heard one. If you go to New York, Chicago, Philly, etc., all of those cities have their share of "lower-rent" tenants downtown. DC has a Payless downtown, across the street from Macy's and a lottery stand (in some pretty high-rent buildings, no less). This is to say nothing of the Radio Shack that exists on every other block. There was even a Popeye's downtown as recently as a year ago. No one is so naive to think that these stores lower the "quality" of the downtown.

At the same time, trying to make Woodward into Michigan Ave or Fifth Ave is going to be disastrous, because the base to support those stores lives in Troy and Bloomfield Hills.

A lot of people seem hellbent on "luring" (I read that as "tricking") people into visiting downtown to shop. First and foremost, the downtown retail must address the needs of the existing residents and workers. In other words, you have to have your CVS, Staples, and yeah, probably a liquor store or two, before anything else is viable.

Right now, there just isn't enough population downtown to support many different types of stores. It goes without saying that the need to drive downtown and pay for parking will preclude anyone from beyond walking distance to visit downtown to shop.

Baby steps....

Detroitstar

Post Number: 712
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think there is a more accurate list that needs to be made at this point. This is just a real quick list off the top of my head. What other residential needs already exist down here?

List of existing retail to serve the everyday needs of downtown residents:

3 sundry shops + CVS-pharmacy
5 coffee shops, none open past 8pm
4 liquor stores (full service)
2 dry cleaning
3 24 hour dinning establishments

(Message edited by DetroitSTAR on July 11, 2007)

Swiburn

Post Number: 174
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is a good list, Detroitstar. These kind of places, rather than clothing stores are what will last. I don't know what it would take for Detroit to support something like Chicago's Water Tower Place. Maybe a million or so more people in the city?

Detroitstar

Post Number: 713
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The way I see it there are 3 levels of downtown retail:

1. Necessary retail to support the existing residents.
2. Supplemental retail for both residents and visitors.
3. Expendable retail to attract visitors and create a destination.

It is in this order that we need to look at establishing retail in Downtown Detroit.

Bijouloveshues
Username: Bijouloveshues

Post Number: 9
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"There are no street people in wheelchairs begging in Somerset, or guys running around shouting to themselves"

suburbanites need to toughen up... it's all part of the experience ;)

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 2846
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The way I see it there are 3 levels of downtown retail:

1. Necessary retail to support the existing residents.
2. Supplemental retail for both residents and visitors.
3. Expendable retail to attract visitors and create a destination.

#3 doesn't show up until the visitors are already there. And trust me--you wouldn't want anything like that. I work in Georgetown, and it's disastrous just trying to get lunch this time of year.

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 876
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A couple quick questions....

.....has anyone done a study on retail opertunities in the downtown core? With all the talk about rebuilding downtown, there has to be one somewhere.

What is the current and 10 year projected population and income level of downtown Detroit?(define "downtown" while you're at it)

With the rebuilt and reopening hotels downtown, is there any estimation of their retail economic impact on Woodward, Washington Blvd., or downtown as a whole?

thanks.

Urbanize

Post Number: 1681
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Urbanize, I know Detroit has banks, but the Federal Reserve really brings in people to the financial district. Detroit needs a lot more big offices than just Compuware and GM. And those are self-contained, i.e. nobody has a need to go outside, apparently.
The people need to be there first in place before the stores arrive."

I meant a Federal Reserve Bank. We have a branch for the one in Chicago (just like Minneapolis).

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1248
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi, this is Mrs. Hemingway.
For the sake of argument, let's look into my checking account -- to see where a downtown resident spends the household money (for the past two months).
I've divided them into three categories -- where I can walk to, where I have to drive to but still in the city, and where I have to drive to out of the city.
(I've excluded bills, gas stations, online purchases, etc.)

walk to:
Sweetwater Tavern
Pearle Vision
AAA Michigan (yes a bill but I can still walk to the office)
Detroit Beer Company
CVS
Astoria Pastry Shop
Border's
Eph's Deli
Salad Creations
Caucus Club (hey it was an expensed lunch)
The Park Bar
Subway
party store in my building

drive to but in city:
University Foods
Slows BBQ
Harbortown Market

had to leave city:
Whole Foods
Kroger
Meijer
Carraba's
Sears
Dunham's Sports
Panera Bread
Target
Dick's Sporting Goods
Tim Horton's
Play It Again Sports
Fantastic Sam's
my mechanic

Looking at this, you might deduce that a young couple needs a grocery store, a sporting goods store, a mass retailer and few more restaurant options.

Urbanize

Post Number: 1683
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A Fantastic Sam's or a Boric's may work. A Dunham's as well and Panera Bread.

Can't say the same about a decent Grocer at the time though.

Innovator
Username: Innovator

Post Number: 66
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This might answer a few ?'s, douglasm

http://www.brookings.edu/metro /umi/pubs/20061025_downtowndet roitinfocus.htm

Detroitstar

Post Number: 715
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You think a sporting goods store would work better than a grocery store? I'm not a retail expert, but I think 100% of the market uses groceries. I'm not sure about sporting goods, but I know it's less than 100%.

Urbanize

Post Number: 1686
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Really, the only "X" in the article was about retail.

More will gradually come overtime.

Arc312
Username: Arc312

Post Number: 43
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just because you wouldn't shop at a dollar store or gosh forbid a chain
store does not mean you should be negative. The most successful shopping
corridors in the world have some socio-economic mix of shops that fill all
possible niches.

Also, the fact that you're swearing on this forum is because you are either
angry about Woodward's present condition and would like to see it even
better AND/OR you are very passionate about the subject.

Funnel your attitudes so that you will except some form of retail that
currently provided.

BTW, one can shop at a gourmet-locally owned grocer AND the dollar store.
Fresh produce and cheap cleaning supplies are some of my favorites.

Urbanize

Post Number: 1688
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"You think a sporting goods store would work better than a grocery store? I'm not a retail expert, but I think 100% of the market uses groceries. I'm not sure about sporting goods, but I know it's less than 100%."

Detroitstar, the fact is you still have to eat healthy food to even think about becoming an athlete. So a grocer is much more important than sporting goods.

Upinottawa

Post Number: 886
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Although who needs groceries if you eat fast food 100% of the time....

Urbanize

Post Number: 1689
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fattest City in America.....

Jelk
Username: Jelk

Post Number: 4492
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This thread makes me want to go apartment hunting in Pittsburgh.

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 393
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Lower Woodward needs to start with a Macys, everything will fall in place after that. <313>

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2337
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Jelk

Post Number: 4492
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 2:49 pm:

------------------------------ ------------------------------ --------------------
This thread makes me want to go apartment hunting in Pittsburgh.

Just make sure you are walking distance to Club Erotica...

Jelk

Post Number: 4493
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Naturally.

Urbanize

Post Number: 1690
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, thanks for visiting. I hope you enjoy the Amish country filled with Smog.

Wschnitt
Username: Wschnitt

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

E_hemingway,

Where was the Whole Foods in the city?

Urbanize

Post Number: 1693
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She meant that they must go outside the city limits to get to a Whole Foods. There was never a Whole Foods within City Limits

Welcome To The DetroitYes Forums.

(Message edited by Urbanize on July 11, 2007)

Downtown_remix

Post Number: 419
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think in the meantime, Woodward Ave needs to become restaurant row.
Hard Rock
Motown cafe
Nice festive mexican restaurant
Mongolian BBQ
Dennys
DETROIT HOT WINGS
BIG LOTS

Urbanize

Post Number: 1695
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

D_r, if you truly think Denny's or Big Lots would ever operate a restaurant or another store in the city of Detroit, then you're not thinking straight.

1. I'd prefer a IHOP or Big Boy over a Dennys.

2. Big Lots just left a Detroit Mall because the lcoation wasn't profitable. I don't think they will take the chance none too soon to open another one.

(Message edited by Urbanize on July 11, 2007)

Jelk

Post Number: 4494
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Ok, thanks for visiting. I hope you enjoy the Amish country filled with Smog.

Better than the hickville with snow that Michigan is becoming.

Why

Post Number: 59
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 2:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jb3, you're black. No doubt about it, based on your stereotyping me as being from the suburbs. No, ma N, I now live in a quite DIVERSE urban area and.........it's most certainly not Detroit. And "what is being learned" is that handing over an entire metropolis to one race most certainly hasn't worked, especially for it's own inhabitants, which is why the whole world is watching. The non-blacks reading poetry near WSU, wearing FUBU in a wheelchair, won't be an argument against me either.

It was very nice, in my new URBAN area, to talk to a black person that didn't try to bump me off of the sidewalk or call me "sir" to try and sell me drugs. She was a well-spoken, appropriately dressed, under 40 y.o. LADY walking a dog without trying to let the whole neighborhood know that she wasn't wearing panties. We talked about her COMPANION pet, a Corgi, not a pit-bull used for protection. Wake up.

Vintagesoul
Username: Vintagesoul

Post Number: 21
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 8:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mrs. Hemingway I think your approach to this question was very appropriate. I think if we (as in city residents) took a look at our bank statements and our receipts to see where we are spending our money in and out of the city, it would be very helpful in telling what needs to be here.

I agree about the grocery, although I'm not to sure about the sporting goods... Fortunately I live close to U Foods and Honeybee, and I visit Eastern Market and the surrounding shops pretty much every Saturday from May to October, give or take a few. I can say that for the folks that live closer to Woodward, something like a few small bodega-type stores (maybe full service liquor stores that sell more fresh food and some produce?) would benefit those folks enjoying loft-style living. Especially with more and more lofts opening up all along woodward and in the surrounding areas (brush park, cass corridor, etc.) to have something within walking distance so you don't have to struggle with parking would be most beneficial.

I agree that we need to take baby steps. I think brand names (because brand name recognition mostly wins over in retail) would help to bring in those smaller independent businesses and would also help those smaller businesses to stay around. I think it would give them a foundation to build on. The more storefronts that fill up, the better, but I feel that brand names have the wherewithall to withstand economic decline much more so than a small business, so if there were any hiccups during the rise downtown they would make it out on the other side. While the small guys come and go as they are trying to make a buck, the brand names will be able to remain constant and give those who live downtown and even those who are watching from the suburbs a sense of consistency. Another factor that brings people in.

When they know it's going to be the same as it was the last time they were there, it makes people feel better about coming downtown. I think it is constant change that can scare people away.

I hope one day to be one of the small guys opening up down there myself, so I'm waiting to see what's going to happen; if there's going to be a strong foundation that I can build on. (Hopefully there's space left by the time I can afford it...lol)

Urbanize

Post Number: 1701
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 8:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Jb3, you're black. No doubt about it, based on your stereotyping me as being from the suburbs."

Typical Detroiters, can never have a discusiion without bringing up racial and segregation issues.

Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 2114
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 9:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Except that "Why" says he's not a Detroiter.

Urbanize

Post Number: 1706
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 9:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great. I'm glad it's not us in the wrong, but the mentality wherever Why lives.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 1122
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Jb3, you're black. No doubt about it, based on your stereotyping me as being from the suburbs. No, ma N, I now live in a quite DIVERSE urban area and.........it's most certainly not Detroit. And "what is being learned" is that handing over an entire metropolis to one race most certainly hasn't worked, especially for it's own inhabitants, which is why the whole world is watching. The non-blacks reading poetry near WSU, wearing FUBU in a wheelchair, won't be an argument against me either. "

You couldn't possibly be talking about black people, as they make up at best 14% of Metro Detroit.......

Urbanize

Post Number: 1707
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"You couldn't possibly be talking about black people, as they make up at best 14% of Metro Detroit......."

Yeah, and 10 of the 14% is the City of Detroit. That should tell you something