Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Baseball merely a sideshow at Comerica Park « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Harpernottingham
Username: Harpernottingham

Post Number: 195
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That place is just one big honkin' distraction from the game itself. It's just bell after whistle ad nauseam. Eye-candy, eye-candy, eye-candy!

You really have to put your blinders on to keep focused on the actual ballgame taking place on the field. (And you might want to bring some ear plugs, too.)

MLB and their marketing geniuses have really managed to hijack the American pastime. No longer is our pastime baseball, but instead the ongoing effort to elude the continuous barrage of half-baked entertainment and advertising.

Not just in sports, but seemingly in all aspects of American life.

The ballpark is no refuge. In fact, it helps perpetuate the problem.

So what about the players on the field and the whereabouts of that little white ball?

"Oh, yeah," MLB and team management seem to say. "That's nice, too."

That seems to be the attitude of the majority of fans any given night at Comerica Park.

Well, for me, the game is the thing.
And its presence at Comerica Park is hardly noticeable.

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1576
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe it's just your attention span?

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 675
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pretty sure there is a search function for this one.

Jelk
Username: Jelk

Post Number: 4463
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Tigers have a $95 million dollar payroll. Winning is expensive. The Tigers can only charge so much for tickets, beer, and hot dogs. They've got to make up the difference some how. I'd love to see the Tigers ease off the advertising, et all but I'll take the bells and whistles if it means we have a contender.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 924
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is what happens when your home team is hot for awhile. All kinds of people show up who don't really care about baseball that much, they just want to be part of the action. That doesnt' explain away all the animated billboards and such, but it does explain a lot of the people in those sell-out crowds who are more interested in "WOO-HOO"ing drunkenly with their arms in the air as the FSN camera pans by, than sitting down and watching the game they paid an arm and a leg to attend.

Let's see what happens down the road when Tigers success isn't the hot new thing in town. The fans who keep coming then are the ones who are there to watch some good baseball.

Better yet Harper, let's take a little trip to Toledo and watch some real stripped down baseball played by guys who like to play and watched by fans who like to watch.

Harpernottingham

Post Number: 196
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And see the Cakewalkin' Jass Band while we're there!

Toledo's got a better ballpark at better prices, with a pretty good jazz scene, too.

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 207
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't like going to baseball games. Too much advertising mixed with the sport. I only like NASCAR.

Vintagesoul
Username: Vintagesoul

Post Number: 10
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was a season ticket holder for four seasons up until the year they were almost the losing-est team in baseball. Save for that one game, though, right? Well, I wasn't fortunate enough to attend a ton of games at the old Tiger stadium, but I will say that to me it's about watching the game. For all those folks who come down to the city who might otherwise not have, then whatever it takes to get them down there is fine with me. Fireworks, merry go rounds, frozen tropical drinks, I don't care as long as they come. No one could really ruin a tiger game for me. If they get too loud or drunk, I can go stand behind the Tiger Den seats or over by the statues where the fans are. It's all the same to me.

I don't understand a lot of this anti-change/anti-new stuff around here... It seems to me that at this point we gotta do what is necessary to bring folks back to the city and show them it's not so scary down here.

Go Tigers! =)

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1608
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Had the pleasure of watching last night's game on ESPNHD here in Vegas, and it was a heck of a ball game. Watching on TV saves you from all the distractions one has when being there, and the refreshments are a helluva lot cheaper. Perhaps that's your answer.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 927
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL at Spacemonkey.

"Hey, how'd you get tickets to the Tampax 500?"

"Well, I pulled a few strings..."

-Larry the Cable Guy

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3158
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HN, I understand you. The whole carnival-like aspect of CoPa with the ferris wheel, etc. is just stupid and caters to the ADD generation.

Baseball games are always material for family outings, so you'll always have areas of the stadium where it is a bit laid-back. For some games, I love the company around me because everyone's into the game. On other days, it's torture, and just plain weird when you're the only one in the section to stand up when the Tigers score a run.

It's also a mindset thing. Some people just can't see all the drama and tension that comes with every situation in baseball, and their attention is never captured. Some people do understand the game well, but they don't want to really get into because, after all, this ain't the playoffs yet. If we treated every game like the playoffs like they do in Boston and NY, we'd have a lot more fun at the park.

Having said this, Comerica Park is one of the livelier and more noisy parks in baseball...this shows just how dead a lot of other stadiums are.

I would recommend that the Tigers make a hooligan/bleacher creature section for all the intense fans to hang out in.

Jelk

Post Number: 4464
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Toledo's got a better ballpark at better prices, with a pretty good jazz scene, too.

But they don't have Major League caliber players. The intrusion of advertising and other distractions is annoying but tolerable so long as I can watch players like Justin Verlander, Magglio Ordonez, and Curtis Granderson. Oh yeah and those Carlos Guillen-to-Placido Polonco double plays. Never mind Alex Rodriguez, Johan Santana, Dan Haren, Jermaine Dye, etc when those guys come to town.

Minor League Baseball is nice but to knowledgeable fans, it's no substitute for the Big Leagues.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 930
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You have a point Jelk. Conveniently for us, we can go to either without too much of a drive. :-)

Andysrc
Username: Andysrc

Post Number: 189
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Harpernottingham, I think you're exaggerating a little bit when you say the game is hardly noticeable.

Yes, there are other things besides the game going on at Comerica. But I've always found those things easy to ignore. When I'm in my seat, all I see is the game. Perhaps you are facing the wrong direction?

It kind of bugs me when people so grossly exaggerate the effect of a silly ferris wheel on the game. Does it REALLY distract you from the game, or do you just not like the idea of such a thing? Do you see the ferris wheel while watching the game?

It's one thing to say these non-baseball additions distract you (including, I assume, such things as concession stands and statues), but to say they make the game an afterthought kind of makes it seem like you just have trouble focusing...

Benjo
Username: Benjo

Post Number: 24
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was at the game on Tuesday, and what I found really annoying was they'd put "Make some noise!" or "I can't hear you!" on the scoreboards.

Bongman
Username: Bongman

Post Number: 1494
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A friend of mine has aisle seats at Ford Field. I went to one game and refuse to go again.

Why someone would pay $75 bucks for a game and then watch three quarters in a stadium bar is beyond me. I missed three series in a row because people are constantly getting up. Try that at DTE in the pavillion when someone is on the stage and no one will move for you...and deservedly so. You folks keep buying those tickets, and I'll keep my couch view with replays....better than a suite I say.

TV used to take a second seat to those who paid to see the event live. Not any more. The best seat is at home. Remember, when that official is hanging out that orange glove on the sidelines, you're just waiting for Bong-Man to get another beer and fill his bowl. The Fords truly appreciate your patience during this lull in the action.

Same at Comerica, except you are so far away you can't even tell if the pitcher just thru a fastball or a curve.

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 2462
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I made a similar complaint after attending a game last year. I can put up with all the adverts and such_ but it is the goddamned supposed fans that can't sit down for more than five to ten minutes at a time that is horribly distracting.How in the hell can anyone watch a game when it is an endless stream of people walking in front of you?!

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3159
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Andysrc, the carnival rides don't detract from the field view per se, but when the kids are bugging their parents to leave their seat and "go do something" or, even better, "go buy me something," and then the parent gets up and leaves with their kids mid-inning often during a play, you get a bit annoyed. There are too many non-fans at these regular season games, always coming and going from their seats. CoPa should have a policy where you can only move around between innings. They have tons of event staff/ushers to enforce and aid with this.

No their's nothing wrong with concessions, but I think CoPa hasn't found the right amount of balance when it comes to concessioners. I think there are a few too many beer guys walking around blocking your view during the game. However, there are a lot of big crowds that need to be fed, so I understand it.

The advertisements are not a big deal to me, it could be a lot worse.

Honestly, Benjo, I don't mind when they put that on the video board because a lot of fans need to be woke up, and they only put it up during major situations.

Any of the other additions to CoPa, like the statues and walk-of-fame, are excellent additions because they are baseball related and pay homage to our history.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1072
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

>Not any more. The best seat is at home.

Especially with the advent of the plasma TV!

Harpernottingham

Post Number: 197
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I said nothing of a Ferris wheel.

I was there last night and never saw the Ferris wheel. It's all the theatrics surrounding the playing field.

There's not even a real scoreboard in the whole joint. They all double as Pop Rocks. Good luck finding the score of the game in between innings.

For me, it's not a Detroit issue. It's a baseball issue.

And if the players play the game the right way, I'd still rather be in Toledo. They're much better ballplayers than any of us, make some very exciting plays, and you're just closer to the action at a fraction of the price.

Plus, no Charley Marcuse, either.
Bonus.

Jelk

Post Number: 4466
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

And if the players play the game the right way, I'd still rather be in Toledo. They're much better ballplayers than any of us, make some very exciting plays, and you're just closer to the action at a fraction of the price.

Explain to me how the Tigers play baseball the wrong way? Is Justin Verlander not throwing 100 MPH fastballs the "right way?" Are Gary Sheffield's home runs hit incorrectly? Maybe Maybe when legging out a triple Curtis Granderson's running style doesn't measure up to the graceful trot of Honus Wagner? "Playing the game the right way" is a meaningless Mike Lupica-style sports cliche.

Whether or not the Toledo Mud Hens are better than "any of us" is irrelevant. I'm sure the Genesee County Community Orchestra are better musicians than "any of us" but I'd still rather see the DSO.

As new ballparks go, Comerica Park isn't my favorite. Camden Yards and Jacobs Field are both better in my opinion but I don't go to the ballpark for the ballpark. I go for the baseball.

Right now, there is no better place in the world to watch a baseball game than Comerica Park because the Tigers are a damn good club. Teams like this don't come around that often. Savor this team. They are special.

Larry
Username: Larry

Post Number: 200
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You think Comerica is crazy, check out the Arizona Diamondbacks who are hard to top for having distractions.

http://arizona.diamondbacks.ml b.com/NASApp/mlb/ari/ticketing /suites.jsp

Check out the swimming pool in centerfield, the wives chatting who couldn't care less about the game, the guys drinking in the lounge etc. Why the hell bother going to the freakin game ? Leave the wives at home, drop the kids at a pool, and go to a bar.

Spitty
Username: Spitty

Post Number: 580
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd rather you be in Toledo too because you sound like a real buzzkill. Maybe you should have a beer and relax instead of keeping score the whole game and listening to your AM radio. Maybe you'd enjoy watching little league games instead? That's baseball in it's purest form. Part of the old ballgame is the crowd, and another part is the peanuts and cracker jacks. You can't expect 40,000 people to have the exact same ritual for enjoying the game. Some days I'm really drunk at the game, and some days I'm just hung over so my ritual differs. Some people (particularly those who were raised on TV and video games) need to constantly be entertained. I do agree that there is a lot going on, but most would argue that there is a lot of downtime to fill. I personally hate Biggy Bagel. But if you don't know the score between innings, then WTF were you doing during the inning that you already forgot it? Riding the carousel or the ferris wheel?

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4736
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As someone who doesn't care for baseball (too boring), I think Comerica Park is great! The few times I was there with buddies, there was lots to do and enjoy. After all Comerica Park IS in the Entertainment District of Detroit.

I think you're making much ado about nothing.

If, like going to a theatre and not liking the talking going on around you during a movie... just stay at home and watch it on TV without interruptions. Otherwise, in real life, there will always be distractions.

Udmphikapbob
Username: Udmphikapbob

Post Number: 382
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Good luck finding the score of the game in between innings.

Spend $1 and keep score - like I have for every game I've attended there the last two years. I have no trouble paying attention enough to do that. I'm sick of the Comerica Park bashing - it's a pretty good ballpark. I've been to Wrigley (nice for it's nostalgia, but apples/oranges comparison), ATT/PacBell in San Fran, and Miller Park in Milwaukee. I like CoPa best.

Oh, and I'm in 217, not in some $60 box seat.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1834
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"...but it does explain a lot of the people in those sell-out crowds who are more interested in "WOO-HOO"ing drunkenly with their arms in the air as the FSN camera pans by..."

This is the scene that the Chicago Cubs pioneered at Wrigley Field, and more and more other cities/ballparks are buying into it. To hell with actually watching the game; hey, we're just here to get drunk and ogle girls!

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 2149
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I haven't been to a game yet this year, but I remember complaining last year that you couldn't just sit and watch the game at CorporateAmerika Park, it was like a pep rally.

Courtney
Username: Courtney

Post Number: 146
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Toledo's team is a AAA team, right? AAA is hardly in the same sphere as a little league game - it's the "last stop" before the majors.

Not sure how it is now, but when I used to like baseball (before the steroids and the strikes) the AA Braves farm team was where all of the Atlanta Braves were sent to recover from injuries/surgeries/time off. It was often like paying a fraction of the cost for seeing an Atlanta Braves game in a far nicer setting.

Not to mention that even at the AA level, it was VERY obvious who would end up being called to Atlanta. We loved seeing people like Tom Glavine, Chipper Jones, Andruw Jones and Javy Lopez.

Now that I think about it, I think I stopped watching baseball as much once I couldn't be feet away from Javy Lopez every time he came out of the dugout. It can hurt to be a teen girl with a huge crush. :-)

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1115
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't say that I have EVER been distracted from baseball when I went to Comerica. EVER. Except the time I went 2 years ago when the Freedom Festival fireworks started during the game, because the Tigers and White Sox had run into extra innings. PS the Sox won on a Frank Thomas HR in the 13th.

Jelk

Post Number: 4468
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah no one ever does steroids in the minor leagues. The game is as pure as the driven snow down in the Bush Leagues. Fans OUTRAGED by steroids in baseball remind me of Captain Renault's shock that gambling took place at Ricks.

For every Tom Glavine, Chipper Jones, Andruw Jones and Javy Lopez coming through a minor league system you'll find 100 Chris Pittaros, Greg Gohrs, and Matt Drews.

I hate to sound like I'm bad-mouthing baseball because I enjoy an occasional minor league game but sorry I've grown up watching Major League Baseball so my attitude toward the minors is going to be far different than someone from Pearl, Mississippi. I don't want to once-in-a-while see a Big Leaguer on a rehab stint. I expect to see 18 (well 20 in the AL) Major Leaguers playing when I go to the ballpark.

Courtney
Username: Courtney

Post Number: 147
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perhaps my coffee has worn off, but I didn't say that those in minor leagues weren't using steroids - it started becoming more common in ALL LEVELS of semi-pro and pro sports at some point as those coming up thought they'd no longer be able to compete as a pro without the crap. At some point, it started becoming way more obvious as to who was and was not, even in the early 90's AA teams.

FWIW, we made the fairly short drive to Atlanta regularly, but the level of play in Greenville was not very different than Atlanta. Perhaps the geographical closeness of the two teams was what seemed to make it more level - I had/have no real knowledge of how other farm leagues went, but it was a well known "fact" that the AAA team in Richmond had far less talent, to the point that those on the AA team spent a game or two as a AAA player before being in Atlanta. Perhaps its different today with the move, but like I said, I haven't followed it much in the last 10-12 years.

Harpernottingham

Post Number: 198
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd say Fenway is probably a better place to be this year than Comerica Park. Or any year, for that matter.

I did not say, however, that the Tigers aren't playing ball the right way. I just said that if the Mud Hens do, then I'd rather be in Toledo.

Well, actually, I rather be at Tiger Stadium, circa 1968. I'll take organ music at the ballpark any day.

Speaking of which, why have the Tigers abandoned "Turn Back the Clock Night"?

Detroitstar

Post Number: 677
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fenway is a dump. I've been to 15 MLB ballparks and it is my 2nd least favorite (HHH Metrodome is worse).

Jelk

Post Number: 4472
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fenway is fine, well, and good but I'd rather watch the Tigers.

Moderator please move Harpernottingham's post to the Hot Fudge Contradictions thread. He starts a thread complaining about bells, whistles, gimmicks, and advertising ruining his ball park experience and then complains the Tigers have abandoned a gimmicky promotion.

Harpernottingham

Post Number: 199
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tiger Stadium was a dump, too, in its later years. But does history count for nothing?

For the fans in the stands who fully appreciated it, it was a beautiful place to be.

Comerica Park, of course, is clean and purdy by comparison, but it has no aura.

Incidentally, Fenway and Tiger Stadium both opened in 1912. And they both oozed aura; Fenway still does.

Come to think of it, it's hard to believe they're closing Yankee Stadium.

Harpernottingham

Post Number: 200
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I did not complain that they've abandoned a gimmicky promotion; I simply asked why they've abandoned it.

I know not of this Hot Fudge contradictions page, but if Larry Santos is there singing a song with Seymour, then show me the way.

Man, I wish they Tigers hadn't abandoned that gimmicky "Turn Back the Clock" night.

(NOW I'm complainin'.)

: )

Come to think of it, I wish Channel 7 hadn't abandoned "Hot Fudge" either.

Somebody Name That Feeling.

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 317
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't mind the extra bells and whistles. Sure, it's not nastalgic "America's pasttime" baseball, but it's somewhat accurate to the current culture of entertainment.

I'm more interested in the baseball atmosphere first and foremost, as I think most people are. But if the venue can generate a few more dollars without really damaging the psyche and experience of traditional going to the ball park, then it's good for Detroit...and good for cities. I'm there to see the game, but if the rug rats want to go wee on the ferris wheel or gah gah over the GM fountain, that's cool too.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3160
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HN, there is an out of town scoreboard (newly updated) in right center field.

There are standard scoreboards for the game between the decks along either baseline, and on the big screen.

If there is anything to complain about in this arena, it's the severe lack of instant replay on the massive scoreboard. Why do we have it if they don't show video?

Harpernottingham

Post Number: 201
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mackinaw, they've always shown a limited amount of replays, but never a remotely controversial play. It's lame, but I suspect they don't want to incite the crowd.

As for the scoreboards, I've seen them all, and none of them displays the score of the Tigers game in between innings.

They really oughta fix that.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 944
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Apparently between innings it is more important to learn about Wayne State University.

I suspect you are correct on the replays. Wouldn't make sense to show controversial plays on a clean crisp slow motion replay that clearly contradicts the call, when replays can't be used to decide calls. Just a couple of us at home get riled up enough seeing that, don't need 30,000 people feeling that way at once in one place. ;)

Citylover

Post Number: 2463
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Harpernottingham you are not a baseball fan at least not a genuine one.The reason players are in the minors rehab aside is they aint as good as the guys in the majors- it is just that fucking simple.

As for Fenway,Fuck Fenway.I am sick of hearing about Fenway.Fenway will be replaced someday. Besides that Tiger stadium was every bit as historic and just as good a place to watch baseball.

Detroitstar

Post Number: 678
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you are paying attention to the game why would you need the scoreboard to tell you what is going on?

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11619
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry I'm late to the party. The Tigers won again today, they won last night while I attended, and they are still one of the best teams in all of baseball. So why the bitching and complaining? I'm sorry, but in this day and age, distractions are everywhere. If you can't go to a ball game and watch the GAME from start to finish, perhaps listening to it on the radio would be better for you.

Susanarosa

Post Number: 1577
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seriously, or between the innings? If you're watching the game you should know the score.

Another example of someone complaining just for the sake of complaining...

Johnlodge

Post Number: 945
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Citylover, believe me, Harpernottingham is as big a baseball fan as anybody you've ever met. This I know personally. Without divulging too much, lets just say he's written or edited on the topic for more than one publication. Go back and read, he never said minor league players were better than major league players. He said when the Hens play the right way, he'd rather see them.

(Message edited by johnlodge on July 05, 2007)

Susanarosa

Post Number: 1578
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

God damn I just agreed with Supersport.

I'm going to go slit my wrists now.

Detroitprincess
Username: Detroitprincess

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

rather you like baseball or not, it's fun to go to a game. We have a FABULOUS stadium with a lot of attractions. The main and important thing is, it's bringing people downtown and bringing in money. They are not only spending money at Comerica, but also at the restaurants and bars before/after the game. The more people come down there, the more they see how Detroit is changing and becoming a better city. They more they are going to want to come to Detroit. We need people down there to help turn this city around. I am not a huge sports fan and I go to tigers games all the time. I have a great time there. it's nice to see all these people having fun!

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3162
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They don't show replays of a lot of good, solid plays by the Tigers, either. If it's a big hit, they might show a replay, that's all I've noticed.

SS is right...just go and focus on the game and our team. Gotta zone out a non-fans around you. I try my best.

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 272
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I also suggest if you go to the game to avoid text messaging everyone you know about it.

Focusonthed

Post Number: 1118
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Baseball as a whole doesn't show replays. It's part of the "gentleman's game" aspect of it, so I've heard. Plus, as was mentioned, since replay cannot be used to judge calls, they don't show it to upstage the umpires.

Marcnbyr
Username: Marcnbyr

Post Number: 680
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just because fans aren't paying attention to the game doesn't necessarily mean that the team is over-hyping the experience. It could simply mean that because the team is now the "hot" item on the shelf, everybody wants to go to the park to be seen and brag about being there. It sounds like the real complaint is with the fans in attendance, not the atmosphere. I go to dozens of games every year, keeping score at nearly every one, and the only time I have a problem focusing on the game is if the Tigers are being blown out. And even then it is my own fault for losing interest...not the anything at the park distracting me. And for those of you claiming minor league baseball is a "purer" incarnation of the game....bull. Ever been to a minor league game? There are 10x's the bells and whistles at a minor league park than any MLB park. The teams know their product is inherently inferior so they know they have to do something else to draw fans in and keep their interest.

I agree with Jelk, there is nothing like Major League Baseball, especially when the home team is in the midst of a pennant race. Comerica is a fine park, with no more distractions than pretty much any other stadium. Wrigley and Fenway are the only two I've been to that don't have any of the electronic fluff...but they are the two oldest parks and don't have the same capabilities. Jacobs Field, PNC Park are both comparable to Comerica, and I'm guessing that when I go to Yankee and Shea Stadiums, and the Great American Ballpark later this year, that all of those will be quite similar in that respect as well.

Focusonthed

Post Number: 1119
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The distractions at Wrigley are purely human and also in liquid, fermented form.

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 273
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I'm guessing that when I go to Yankee and Shea Stadiums, and the Great American Ballpark later this year, that all of those will be quite similar in that respect as well.

Shea Stadium is a pit for watching games if you are anywhere on the baselines in the upper deck. Furthest I've ever been away from the action other than the upper deck behind home plate at the Astrodome.

Citylover

Post Number: 2464
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Johnlodge_ that don't make no damn sense that right way shit you all keep talking about. It is a meaningless statement.The object is to win within the rules of the game_ that is the only right way. So when you or harper or anyone else comes up with I'd rather see the mudhens I gotta question your knowledge of the game.

Jelk

Post Number: 4474
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

They are not only spending money at Comerica, but also at the restaurants and bars before/after the game.

Ok I can only defend Comerica Park so much. The idea that new ballparks more than make up for the public subsidy to build them in spin-off economic activity is garbage in Detroit and everywhere else on the planet. The research has consistently proved otherwise. To suggest otherwise is about as absurd as arguing in favor of the flat earth theory.

I'm with Susanarosa about agreeing with Sport. I'm a good Catholic so no wrist-slitting here.

quote:

He said when the Hens play the right way

I'm still waiting for a definition of "playing the right way." I would hope a fan of baseball who writes professionally would have enough respect for both baseball and the English language to not use such a banal and meaningless cliche.

Strunk and White's Elements of Style. It's cheaper than a grandstand seat at Comerica Park. I suggest investing in that little book.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 946
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Johnlodge_ that don't make no damn sense that right way shit you all keep talking about. It is a meaningless statement.The object is to win within the rules of the game_ that is the only right way. So when you or harper or anyone else comes up with I'd rather see the mudhens I gotta question your knowledge of the game."

You can question my knowledge of the game all you want Citylover. But I guarantee you Harper knows more about it than you do. His statement about preferring to see the Hens has nothing to do with talent on the field, it has to do with the feel of going to a baseball game in an environment that harkens back to classic days of the game.

And Jelk, give me a break. There's absolutely nothing grammatically incorrect with the statement. Whether you feel it's cliche or not, who cares. Far as I know nobody's reading your crap beyond this forum.

Grammar/spelling criticism, the classic last resort of a DY poster who really wants to post a rebuttal, but has nothing left of value to say.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 226
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Low blow from an English Major?

Cynknight
Username: Cynknight

Post Number: 94
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love the fact that the Tigers are winning - but I have to admit that I'm a little nostalgic for the pre-bandwagon attendance, which made it easier to concentrate on the game. I'm in Section 106 and if I had a dollar for every person who past my seat coming and going at last night's game, I could afford to retire! :-)
I still miss my Tiger Stadium seats - $12 tickets there, same sight line is $35+ at Copa.
I wish more people came to watch the game and less people came to socialize, especially when the Tigers are at bat and the partiers decide they need to go for refreshments RIGHT NOW.
I keep score (and have for three years or so), plus I listen on the radio a lot, but I can STILL get distracted by the sheer volume of people and commotion, especially when they block me from seeing the action on the field.

Comerica is an entertainment ballpark, and a very nice one - but speaking for myself, I'd prefer a ballpark with more people closer to the action, and fans actually sitting in their seats.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11623
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

God damn I just agreed with Supersport.

I'm going to go slit my wrists now.

1 down, 6 more to go.

Detroitstar

Post Number: 680
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 6:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think one thing that we cannot overlook either is that the Tigers may not have the success they are currently enjoying if they stayed at the corner.

The facilities at Tiger Stadium, from the offices to the clubhouse, training facilities and indoor batting areas were lacking in size and modern amenity.

I'm certainly not saying that they could not win at The Corner, but I'll take the "bells and whistles" at CoPa all day if it means there is a winning team in town.

Jelk

Post Number: 4477
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

And Jelk, give me a break. There's absolutely nothing grammatically incorrect with the statement. Whether you feel it's cliche or not, who cares.

I didn't say it was grammatically incorrect I said is was banal and meaningless. Explain to me what "playing the right way means" and "what playing the wrong way" means. I know what playing winning baseball means but "playing the right way" is meaningless.

As for who is reading what I write the answer would be no one but that's a non-sequitur. Millions of people read Mike Lupica and he is a terrible writer and a sanctimonious hypocrite. Hell Paris Hilton had a book deal and Bill James had to self-publish his first few Abstracts so being a published author doesn't mean shit.

Until Harpernotafan can explain to me what "playing the right way" means, I'm left to draw the conclusion that he is a shitty writer who must fall back on meaningless cliches to sound authoritative. I fucking hate jockocracy cliches.

Ltdave
Username: Ltdave

Post Number: 75
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

it has to do with the feel of going to a baseball game in an environment that harkens back to classic days of the game.

should we require ladies to go to the game in skirts and dresses and the men to sport suits, ties and snap-brim hats?

i mostly dont like being so far from the field. i like the vertical build of the Classic Stadiums and not this horizontal spread you get now...

david

Harpernottingham

Post Number: 202
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whoa ... hey ... can't we all just get along here?

: )

"The right way" is indeed a cliche, and I should've been more specific. One of the things I like to see is error-free defense. I like to see outfielders hit the cutoff man, which isn't as easy as it seems. And when they miss the cutoff man, I like if the "trailer" is in perfect position to field the overthrow. I like it when the players communicate flawlessly on relay throws from deep right field to third base or if a throw from left field is correctly cut off by the third baseman (acting on directions from the catcher) and gunned down to second to nail a guy trying to stretch an RBI single into a double. I like it when the pitcher remembers to cover first base or back up third or back up home ... And if the right fielder should overthrow both the second baseman AND the first baseman, yet the throw is too weak to make it all the way to home plate online, I love it when the shortstop (i.e. Jeter) swoops in, cuts it off, and shovels it to Posada to nail Giambi at the plate by a half-step.

All that stuff is beautiful to me.
And I'm not even a Yankees fan.

I'll be back at Fifth Third Field again soon, and I'll pay close attention, but it sure seems to me that Comerica has much more off-field stimuli. That was my impression five weeks ago. I don't think I've gone entirely senile since then. Then again ...

Eh, to each his own.

I wonder what fans bitched about at Briggs back in '45. Probably the exorbitant salaries, huh?

Titancub
Username: Titancub

Post Number: 57
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Comerica has been good for the redevelopment of the area and for getting more $$ for the Tigers (and for Mr I). Although you can argue the subsidy part of it all.

However, the overall feel of Comerica stinks and I'd go back to a crusty old Tiger Stadium any day of the week. I loved that place. But I'm a traditionalist with baseball and agree with those who said they enjoy minor league games for the more 'pure' feel of it all. Plus Comerica is EXACTLY the same as so many other new ballparks. People who see it say 'yeah, that looks just like fill-in-the-city' whether its Denver or Cleveland or wherever else.

Give me nostalgia at low prices instead of generic crap at high prices.

Harpernottingham

Post Number: 203
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Come to think of it, I'd rather see the Tigers play at Fifth Third Field. If we could all get tickets, that just might make everybody happy.

Except, of course, Little Caesar.

Jelk

Post Number: 4478
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm starting to think Harpernottingham is Randy Smith because much of his complaints about Comerica Park seem rooted in a dislike for Mike Ilitch. Do you think that if the Tigers (or any Major League team) played at One-and-two-thirds Park or moved back to Tiger Stadium the level of noise (to borrow a phrase from Ron Shandler) would be less? It's sort like complaining about the weather...why bother?

Time to break down playing the right way:

quote:

"The right way" is indeed a cliche, and I should've been more specific. One of the things I like to see is error-free defense.

Sometimes errors are caused by good defense. A middle infielder with exceptional range is more likely to make an error simply because he had a play on a ball a lesser field would have watched go by. Both Guillen and Inge create those kind of errors. Baseball Prospectus' Baseball Between The Numbers explains that nuance of the game quite well.

quote:

I like to see outfielders hit the cutoff man, which isn't as easy as it seems. And when they miss the cutoff man, I like if the "trailer" is in perfect position to field the overthrow. I like it when the players communicate flawlessly on relay throws from deep right field to third base or if a throw from left field is correctly cut off by the third baseman (acting on directions from the catcher) and gunned down to second to nail a guy trying to stretch an RBI single into a double.

This is what I don't understand about your overall argument because these things are far more likely to happen at the CoPa than 5/3 or any other minor league park.

quote:

I like it when the pitcher remembers to cover first base or back up third or back up home ... And if the right fielder should overthrow both the second baseman AND the first baseman, yet the throw is too weak to make it all the way to home plate online, I love it when the shortstop (i.e. Jeter) swoops in, cuts it off, and shovels it to Posada to nail Giambi at the plate by a half-step.

Do these scenarios really happen often enough at any level to bring you back to the ballpark? In any case, I'm confused because in one breath you say you like fundamentally sound and error free defense but in the next you say you like spectacular defensive plays caused by another players error.

But like you said to each their own. I'll tell you what I like to see at the ballpark - greatness. Watching Justin Verlander and David Ortiz battle through a long at bat. Or Chet Lemon making a diving catch to rob a hitter of a "sure thing" Texas League triple. I like perfectly timed double plays or watching Marcus Thames break up a White Sox double play to win a key game during last summer's pennant race.

Baseball at the Major League level is spectacular. I'm willing to pay for it and put up with the distractions aimed at the rabble.

I will tell you what I don't like about Comerica Park though. The knowledge level of the fans. They cheer like it's a home run on even shallow and routine fly-outs. After going to a few games one should realize that you can tell whether a fly ball is a hit or an out by watching the outfielders eyes. I can't stand listening the guy behind yammering on about how the Tigers need to bring up Shelton because of his great April last season. And anyone who cheers a 102 MPH ball is an idiot. Joel Zumaya is most effective throwing his fastball between 97-100 MPH. I wish Detroiters could get that concept through their thick skulls.

Frankly, I think the Tigers are playing to their market. This isn't a knowledgeable baseball town. If flashing lights and Dunkin Donuts races are what puts butts in the seats and a contender on the field, well it's a price I'm willing to pay.

Detroitstar

Post Number: 682
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I think the Tigers are playing to their market." I'm not disagreeing with this statement, I just don't know what it means. Could you explain that a little more.

"This is not a knowledgeable baseball town."
Sports are huge in the Detroit area and baseball is very healthy in all levels of amateur play. There are not a whole lot of people that are able to keep up with the day to day happenings of a 162 game season, but that in no way means they are not knowledgeable.

Jelk

Post Number: 4479
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the Tigers have many of the bells and whistles H/N complains about because the Tigers need to do something to keeps fan interested.

You must not have read beyond the "knowledgeable baseball town" line because I listed several things I witness regularly at Tiger games that betray an ignorance about the game. It has nothing to do with loving the game or the level of participation. Fans cheer regularly for shallow fly balls as though it's a potential home run. I've been to 12 other Major League parks and never seen that phenomenon of ignorance more pronounced as it is in Detroit.

321brian
Username: 321brian

Post Number: 390
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have said it a few times on this board before and I'll say it again.

Comerica Park is a minor league stadium with an upper deck.

There are way too many seats too far from the field and the dimensions of the field are a joke.

How can you build a stadium, play a few seasons and then decide that it is too big? Who was in charge of that? Didn't they have a measuring wheel?

If you sit in the lower level and are average height or below you are always looking around someones head. It's like trying to watch a movie before "stadium" seating.

I love Ford Field and I think it is a huge improvement over the Silverdome in every way. I can't say the same thing about Comerica. There will never be anything like the seats in the right field upper deck of Tiger Stadium.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3166
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Detroit is knowledgable on baseball, following only Boston, New York, Baltimore, maybe Atlanta, and maybe St. Louis. It's just a matter of the level of Tigers spirit manifested year round by the knowledgeable fans. I think in the playoffs last season it was mostly real, knowledgeable fans, and they brought tons of baseball-focused gusto and spirit into the park, a la the way they have done it in NY/Boston for years. It's just a matter of capturing this and having it on a day to day basis in the park, but between the fact that this is a multi-sport town and a lot of people have their sports gusto drained in various places, and the fact that so many semi-knowledgeable/unknowledga ble fans show up to CoPa just to see what it's like, the atmosphere for the average regular season game is unspectacular.

All I know is people that got up in the middle of innings in late Sept. and October of last year got severerly scolded, because by that time, virtually everyone in the park was a real fan with real focus on the action.

Detroitstar

Post Number: 683
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it's funny that people in Michigan hate Comerica Park, but when you talk to people from other baseball cities that have visited, they seem to enjoy it and rank it very high.

I've been to 15 MLB ballparks (past and present) and I would put it at #7. I really think our biased towards the history of Tiger Stadium clouds the judgment about the new ballpark.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 768
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The field was too big initially but they did recover nicely by putting the bullpen out in left. I like HR's as much as the next guy, but hitting a HR should mean something. In some MLB stadiums all you have to do is get the ball up in the air and it has a chance of going out. Comerica is the perfect size in my opinion.

Every stadium has it's pluses/minuses. I sat behind plenty of poles at Tiger Stadium. And no, it wasn't on Polish American night.

I'm a huge fan of Comerica.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3167
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with that, Dstar...some Cleveland fans I was sitting by said our stadium was awesome and, somehow, more "intimate" than theirs.

Rjk, I actually think the dimensions at CoPa are near perfect. They reward power, not just in terms of homeruns...a well struck ball to the gap or over the CF's head often nets a triple. It really rewards players with bat control who wait for a pitch to rip. Our team has adjusted beautifully to it.

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 84
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dont care what any baseball elitist says. I love the Copa. I like the set up, I like the view of the buildings, I like the fact that its 3 blocks from where I live, & I love watching BASEBALL played there.

321brian
Username: 321brian

Post Number: 391
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ya, the dimensions are good now. My problem is why couldn't they have built it this way in the first place?

We have been building baseball parks for over 100 years. I think the people who build and design then should have some idea of what measurements are fair.

I just think the new bullpens look like an add on. Which they are.

The dimensions, the lack of slope in the lower deck, and the off center scoreboard are things that should not have happened with better planning.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3170
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^Yeah a bit more slope in the lower bowl would give better views and allow the upper deck to be brought up closer to the field of play.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 1079
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 11:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Reading this thread has been fun, and there's a lot I'd like to say about one of my favorite subjects, but I must rise at 5:00 A.M., so I will limit myself to brevity.
1) Jermaine Dye? Right at the moment, not even the White Sox fans are paying to see Jermaine Dye. He's already dead.
2) If Posada is nailing Giambi at the plate by a half-step, no wonder the Yanks are having such troubles. You're supposed to do that stuff to the OTHER guys.
3) The folks who dare to suggest that you're not a real fan unless you regularly go to the games are full of shit, and have more money to spend than do I. As well, I suspect that at least half of those people have no fucking idea about the Tigers specifically, or baseball in general, and are just at the park because it's the Flavor of the Month. But the foolishness runs in both directions. Hell, right here on this forum, we have one clownass who actually bragged about having attended a plethora of games during the Worst Season Ever. And then, last year at this time, we had the Dweeb Element on DY: "I'll be in Section 137 tonight!! Anybody else going??" The recent resurgence and success of the Tigers brings out many behaviors and tendencies, some more annoying than others. Me? I had my Big Fun, many Vernal Equinoxes ago, at my beloved Tiger Stadium. Whatever merriment the current crowd is enjoying at the new park has my blessings, but I'm having a pretty damned good time right here on the couch, where I can pause the game, mute the commercials, replay important moments, etc. The best seat in the house, indeed.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 232
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The beer is a lot cheaper and no waiting in line.

Ravine

Post Number: 1081
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep, and if I have to relieve my overly caffeinated bladder, I just hit that pause button, take care of business, and catch up the one, or two, minutes during the next commercial break, thereby availing myself of an additional benefit, which is that I don't have to sit through any of those somehow creepy and annoying Jimmy John's ads or either one of those two damned Comerica Bank spots that we've been putting up with for at least two seasons now, you know the ones: "...or you MIGHT just..."

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1463
Posted on Saturday, July 07, 2007 - 12:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

today i sat by the most annoying folks, i was nautious by the end of the game from their feet stinking and screaming in my ear whilst arguing who is least drunk to drive the kids home

Ravine

Post Number: 1083
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chitaku, you have my sympathy on that one! Despite its relative shortness, your description immediately brings to mind a vivid, nauseating picture complete with soundtrack. Uggghh

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3198
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always have good luck with standing room tickets, as I did today. First off, you get close to home plate without paying too much. You can always move without needing to step over people. I started off by some BoSox punks who weren't even watching the game, just sharing man stories and trying to be cool. They got squeezed out, or gave up on their team, and I got some breathing room-- right near home plate mind you. Just about everyone else who stands is a real fan and engaged in the game. The people behind you in the "Tiger Den" cushy seats tend to be really stodgy and never even cheer, unfortunately. As nice as it was to see a win, I'll probably save my beans and not go to another game until the, you know, ___offs. Don't want to jinx it.

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 104
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I generally agree with Harper as to his original post. The bells and whistles are overbearing. This becomes especially annoying if you are unfortunate enough to find yourself seated close to one of the loudspeakers. I try to block out the din as much as possible, but it is difficult.

However, I typically don’t find it too much of a distraction to my being able to focus on the game. This is because they keep it to a minimum while play is underway. The main offender is those “Clap Your Hands / Make Some Noise” enticements when either the Tigers have a chance to score or our pitcher has a chance to strike out the opposition. Oh okay, I’d better cheer because some sign told me to. Yeah, right. That crap has gotta go.

It seems to me that MLB execs went to some NBA games and thought it would be great to transfer that level of energy to baseball games. But these are two different sports and that using that type of bombast just doesn’t translate well, IMO.

As far as Tiger Stadium goes, some of what you are seeing and hearing at Comerica was starting to infiltrate “the old girl” in its final years. I was very irritated when they installed that rotating billboard behind home plate. If Tiger Stadium had somehow survived until today, you would probably see the same level of clatter as at Comerica. They would’ve replaced the old scoreboard with one twice its size and installed a wrap-around “banner” board on the facing of the upper deck.

(Message edited by waz on July 10, 2007)

Pinewood73
Username: Pinewood73

Post Number: 56
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Waz,

Don't tell me you miss the old black and white scoreboard at Tiger Stadium.

Jeez

Detroitstar

Post Number: 696
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just win baby. I don't care if the place has a carnival theme or 1920's architecture.

Just freaking win. Baseball is not about the building (old or new), it's about what happens on the field. If you don't like the other stuff, just ignore it.

Citylover

Post Number: 2474
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Replaying contreversial plays might inflame the crowds.............however that has not always been the case. In basketball anyway, according to John Feinstein in his great book .."The Punch".. not only were disputed plays replayed on the big screen but fights were as well.And often these fights may have taken place days or weeks before.

Back to the ball park.My chief complaint is too much motion form fans that watch the game maybe thirty percent of the time.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3212
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CL's last point is the big problem. I reiterate, the ADD generation is the problem...not even the best team in the league playing good baseball can keep their attention.

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 368
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Baseball is a boring game, flat out. Yet going to Co-pa is fun and enjoyable, I will watch baseball there, or try, but at home no dice. I find this whole thread really funny.

Drjeff
Username: Drjeff

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those of you who are bitching about Comerica Park not being Tiger Stadium- of course it's not. I loved Tiger Stadium as much as anyone, but the Tigers don't play there anymore. I'd love to have my $12 upper deck seat within spitting distance of home, but there is nowhere in baseball those seats exist any more or ever will.

Comerica Park is one of the better new-style stadiums. You can see the playing field from anywhere on the concourse- thats' a huge improvement over Camden Yards, not to mention that Camden Yards has its seats aimed at the center of the outfield instead of at home- a major blunder. The low slope of the lower deck in Comerica Park allows the upper deck to be as close to the field as possible without the supports that ruined a lot of Tiger Stadium seats. Try sitting in the upper deck in Atlanta or Baltimore and you'd better bring your binoculars.

And for those of you who think Comerica Park looks like "all the other new stadiums," you're really not paying attention. It is one of the more unique parks for many reason, from its outfield dimensions to its historical timeline around the concourse to the fact you can see the field from the street outside to, yes, the amusement rides for the kiddies. God forbid people have fun going to the games even if they're not huge baseball fans.

I've been a Tigers season ticket holder for 10 years and have seen games in about a dozen major league parks. I'd put Comerica Park in the top 5 for certain.

Oh, and to those complaining about the fans being "noisy"- stay the hell home. Jesus, god forbid people get into the game and cheer on their team! Even the players said last year during the playoffs they couldn't believe how loud the stadium got and how much that helped them. TIgers "fans" up until last year did way too much sitting on their hands. It was like being at a U of M football game.

Detroitstar

Post Number: 707
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You nailed it DrJeff.

So many people in this area just need to piss on something...especially if it is a good thing.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1129
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Harper, you make some good points.

I noticed at the last game that the announcer basically never shut up except during a pitch. I was waiting for a call from the Vet and when it arrived I couldnt hear... and when I called back to get the voicemail I couldnt hear... so I went into the bathrooms and they pipe the carnival into there too. I literally had to leave the park in order to hear.

A few years ago they had special games that were "old fashioned" with no noise. Announcer only gave game updates, no flashing boards, etc. It was great... you could really concentrate on the game and just relax. Maybe they will have more of those.