Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Michigan Theatre « Previous Next »
Archive through July 14, 2007Scottr71 07-14-07  7:23 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1513
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Two issues re: the above idea of a "as is" concert venue--Bathrooms and liability insurance.

Don't mean to piss on your Cheerios, but ya gotta think about these things,

Cman710
Username: Cman710

Post Number: 335
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This sounds really fantastic. While I am not living in the Detroit area, I'd consider coming out for a weekend just to see this rare tour. If the tour is in the latter half of August or later, it might be possible. So I will be interested to see what happens, and try to make it if possible!

Cman710

Post Number: 336
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In case any of you are interested in other Rapp and Rapp creations, (I know Gistok is!), here are some pictures I found on Flickr of the bizarre fate that has befallen the Brooklyn paramount.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/b ettyblade/235617389/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/b ettyblade/235617391/

And a shot of the organ:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/t heatretalks/717091389/

Rapp and Rapp also designed the now-closed and decaying Staten Island Paramount, on Staten Island, NY, my hometown. http://cinematreasures.org/the ater/1864/ This theater ranked as the second most prestigious theater in the borough behind the St. George Theater, which has recently been refurbished. (I am going to see Taylor Hicks at the St. George on August 18, and am very excited to see the theater.)

(Message edited by cman710 on July 14, 2007)

(Message edited by cman710 on July 14, 2007)

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 581
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

56packman - i was mostly thinking 'as is' in regards to leaving the appearance as a ruin, rather than restoring it, and didn't mean to preclude any changes such as bathrooms. it wasn't a well-thought out plan in any case, just an 'it would be cool if...' idea, and like many such ideas, liability and costs involved were not considered.

Mattric43
Username: Mattric43

Post Number: 170
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"so that it doesn't sound quite so much like a concert in a parking deck."

Isn't that what it would be?

Scottr

Post Number: 603
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Of course. but that's not how you want it to sound. it was kind of a jab at it being a parking deck, which is about the exact opposite, acoustically (and in other ways), from a theatre. In any case, it was a momentary, poorly thought out dream.

I'm really looking forward to hearing when this tour is - i was at first worried i'd miss it because i would have to work, but i figure screw it, i'll call in if i'm scheduled for that day.

Mattric43

Post Number: 172
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now that's the spirit Scott!!

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6312
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The tour would be worth it just to have Gistok's knowledge available.

Sounds great, I would be interested in going.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4844
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Still working out the details... but a couple of things...

1) No children allowed. Too dangerous. We'll be going into some dimly lit rubble strewn areas.
2) Flashlights mandatory.
3) ONLY Detroit YES Forumers (per Mr. Pieroni) and their significant others.
4) Still working out a date, there happen to be a lot of baseball Saturday's coming up, so they are out of the question (parking garage will be full).
5) Mr. Pieroni will be out of town a lot of weekends coming up as well. Although he said his son could possibly provide us with a tour. However, (no offense to his son) I would prefer him. You folks will enjoy his discussions and anecdotes of Detroit! :-)

Stay tuned!

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 1215
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

1) No children allowed. Too dangerous. We'll be going into some dimly lit rubble strewn areas.

What does that qualify as? 18 and under?

Gistok

Post Number: 4845
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also, there will be some areas (the cavernous rubble strewn basement) where we will only be allowing 5-6 people at a time to visit the area (guided by Mr. Pieroni). So some of us will be upstairs waiting for their turn to visit the extensive maze of spaces in the basement.

Fee: not sure how much yet, but it won't be much, and it will be donated to DetroitYes.

I will also have some photocopy handouts that will be available (fee: just to cover the Kinko's costs).

I will be meeting with Mr. Pieroni next week to discuss the details.

Gistok

Post Number: 4846
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Opps thanks for reminding me SCS100... my guess would be under 16. If you're old enough to drive, then you're old enough to be responsible for your safety! :-)

Scottr

Post Number: 609
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Flashlight is no problem, but I would ask, if anyone has an extra, bring it along as well - in case someone gets there and discovers the batteries are dead, or forgot one entirely.

So for those who don't want to hunt down the Tigers schedule, that would appear to leave it narrowed down to July 28, or Sept 1, 15, or 29, depending on Mr. Pieroni's schedule. Further out, October is up to the Tigers - despite my excitement to see the theatre, i hope its booked :-). August 18th is also a non-game day, but is the day of the PW theatre tour, so i would guess that would be out of the running too.

Also keep in mind, September 1st is Labor Day weekend, which could make attendance difficult for some. Although for others, that may make it easier.

Gistok

Post Number: 4848
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for also reminding me Scottr, Mr. Pieroni mentioned an AM tour time. So that would make night game days a possibility.

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 1217
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Opps thanks for reminding me SCS100... my guess would be under 16. If you're old enough to drive, then you're old enough to be responsible for your safety!

Well, thanks for clearing that up. Looks like unless he raises the age bar, I can still do it if I remember.

Scottr

Post Number: 610
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great! The only saturday afternoon game is August 11, which was booked with your German dance troupe anyways.

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 19
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sign me up! (crossing fingers it's not Sept 15th)

Mattric43

Post Number: 174
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 9:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok What's the word on cameras. I know he said that this is a hush hush (even though it is posted on a forum) Are pictures downstairs going to be allowed if they will even turn out?

Gistok

Post Number: 4854
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think cameras should be a problem. It's not as though there's technological secrets hidden in the bowels of the ancient former Michigan Theatre! :-)

Cameras have always been allowed during the Preservation Wayne Theatre Tours as well.

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 1330
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok, You're the best!

Gistok

Post Number: 4855
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And speaking of PW Tours (August 18)... it appears that this year we will be allowed to enter the remains of the Oriental (Downtown RKO) Theatre for the first time on this years Historic Theatre Tours (on W. Adams 2nd building west of Park Ave.).

When it was razed in 1951, the 2,950 seat Oriental auditorium was torn down, but the hotel portion of the building contained the grand lobby (which 56packman helped remove the chandeliers from to restore to the Redford Theatre). The doors from the grand lobby to the auditorium were sealed off, and the grand lobby still exists with its' Oriental decor, although it is used as storage space.

Looks like between Mr. Pieroni's Michigan Tour, and the Preservation Wayne tour (which also covers the Michigan, but not the basement), there will be a lot to see in downtown's historic theatres this summer.

And it looks like 56packman will be playing the Fox's mighty 4/36 Wurlitzer organ (from the secondary console up in the balcony), as he did during last years PW Tours. Nothing quite like hearing the powerful Wurlitzer's sound resonating throughout America's largest surviving 1920's movie palace. And 56packman is quite the accomplished organist!

Few theatre organs were as wonderful and powerful as the mighty 4/36 Wurlitzers. These were New York Paramount duplicates, that William Fox had the Wurlitzer Organ Co. of Tonaconda New York build for his 4 grandest Fox Theatres in San Francisco (razed), Brooklyn (razed), as well as Detroit and St. Louis (still in place).

As has been mentioned before on another thread, the Michigan Theatre's organ (a 5/28 Wurlitzer, later upgraded to 5/32) was removed in 1956, and can be found in the huge basement "theatre" of a well to do fellow in Racine Wisconsin, where it still resides 50 years later (the original owner purchased at quite a young age, and is still alive as its' owner).

And I hope (still unconfirmed) that Michael Hauser will once again have the huge movie memorabilia display at the Detroit Opera House this year (it was missing last year due to Michael's busy schedule with completing the Arcadia book on Detroit's Movie Palaces).

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1134
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This sounds pretty cool.

Was the basement originally open to patrons or was it a basement/storage type area?

Gistok

Post Number: 4856
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Crew, but don't thank me, there are a lot of knowledgeable people who invest a lot of time in making all the the downtown theatre tours special. From building owners such as Mr. Pieroni, Mike Ilitch, Chuck Forbes, David DiChiera... from PW Executive Director Francis Grunow, to Michael Hauser, who heads up the theatre tours for PW, to Lisa Rush who coordinates tours, to all the onsite and walking tour guides, to 56packman who brings back the memories of the old theatres on when they were gutted, as well as brings the magnificent organ sounds back to the Fox.

I'm just a small cog in the large group of dedicated people that want to show Detroit and the country that when it comes to opulent movie palaces, Detroit is the top tier of historic venues.

I just happen to soak up all the historic knowledge like a sponge, and enjoy sharing that history with others on this forum! :-)

Gistok

Post Number: 4857
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

East_detroit, I believe the Michigan Theatre basement (like many of the other downtown palaces) had restrooms in the basement for theatre patrons. There are also a maze of mechanical spaces that were always off limits to theatre patrons.

From what I've gathered from Mr. Pieroni, we will be going down a plywood ramp to the basement, and going thru an enormous steel doorway to get to the sealed off extensive mechanical areas of the basement.

(Message edited by Gistok on July 17, 2007)

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 1331
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just ordered my tickets for the 10:00 P.W. tour on Aug 18th.

Scottr

Post Number: 617
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I ordered mine last week for the 11:00 tour. great to hear we can see the oriental's lobby too!

56packman

Post Number: 1528
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok: I was also in some of the theatres while they were still running as grind houses--they weren't all derelict!

(Message edited by 56packman on July 17, 2007)

Cman710

Post Number: 338
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If Mr. Pieroni's tour was on one of the September dates, I would try to make a flight from NY to come specifically for that! I hope I can make it. (Unfortunately, I can't make it to Detroit for the 18th for the PW tours.) Gistok, thanks for trying to set this up for us!

Motorcitydave
Username: Motorcitydave

Post Number: 36
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm in for sure!!

Along with the flash light, I'm assuming that jeans and boots or a good pair of shoes would be a pretty good suggestion for everyone also??

Mattric43

Post Number: 175
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any updates Gistok?

Gistok

Post Number: 4897
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 6:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm going to visit with Mr. Pieroni on Monday, and we're going to check out the underground areas.

Scs_scooter
Username: Scs_scooter

Post Number: 23
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm all tingley with anticipation!! Can't wait for the tour. Where DID I put those batteries for the flashlight???

Goblue113
Username: Goblue113

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 7:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was one of the original "credit card association" people who worked in the Michigan Theatre building asking merchants for the credit card number, and giving an approval code. I worked in the building from 1977-1987 and I loved it, it was a short walk to downtown, shopped at Hudsons, had to have Otto Caramel Popcorn..... I am looking forward to the tour...

Gistok

Post Number: 4898
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well don't get too tingley Scs... one of the things we're going to do is to assess whether or not it is worth a special tour, or if it's too dangerous.

The areas that I wanted to visit (closed off upper level foyers) may be too dangerous (no railings), so we're going to see just what we can visit.

And there are parts of the former theatre where the steel doors have rusted shut (back stage dressing rooms). Maybe all they need is a good kick...

There are some areas of the former theatre that have not been visited in many many years. So I guess that Mr. Pieroni and I will be like Lord Carnarvon and Howard Carter... except there ain't no ancient treasures in them thar rooms... :-)

Gistok

Post Number: 4917
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well today was the day I went to visit with Michigan Building owner Tony Pieroni and his son Matt. We toured the rubble filled basement as well as the higher elevations (vertigo set in for me...).

And unfortunately the end result is that the place is too frigin' dangerous to tour. My glasses were knocked off my head in more than one place where things are protruding that you wouldn't expect. And there is sooooo much debris around, I could not believe it.

I took pics:

This is the exterior of the building showing how shallow the "L" shaped office block is compared to the former theatre space. They are literally 2 separate spaces but are structurally connected. Check out the arched window over the former entrance space. It has nothing but glass panes behind the window, since the grand lobby is 40 feet behind the window.

There is a plywood ramp that takes you into the basement. There, you find one rubble filled room after another. Mr. Pieroni didn't know why the previous owners moved all the rubble from the cleared theatre space into the basement, rather than be carted away, but there is rubble everywhere (and all the good pieces of ornamentation were removed long ago).

And interestingly enough even in rooms never meant to be viewed by the public there is a fancy plaster frieze of Acanthus leaves around the perimeter of many of office rooms in the basement.

Going down another lever to the sub basement we encounter one of the reasons that some power and plumbing functions have to be maintained in the former theatre portion of the building. Down there are frequently running sump pumps to keep the sub basement and basement from filling with water (a common malady among empty downtown buildings). And water pipes have to be thermally insulated to prevent bursting during cold weather.

One of the enormous air vents that used to provide air circulation to the theatre.

Upon seeing all the scrap metal, I mentioned to Mr. Pieroni that the cost of metal has gone thru the roof, and that he could make some bucks sending some of this to the scrap yards.

There are a lot of high voltage unsecured areas in the basement that Mr. Pieroni was worried about getting too near.

On our way out of the basements, we passed more areas where there was a lot of debris, some with jagged edges, and it became difficult to walk in some spots.

(To Be Continued.... the Upper Theatre Spaces)

Digitaldom
Username: Digitaldom

Post Number: 653
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 11:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Scottr.. I am the sheppard on the 11am tour.. Hope you have fun it's a great tour.. So there is a new site on the tour! Glad to hear it Gistok! So are you doing the State / Palms / Filmore Theatre tour portion again?

Scottr

Post Number: 627
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 12:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great, i look forward to meeting you digitaldom, and I'm sure i'll love the tour. Although i will have to call PW tomorrow, my account was charged, but i didn't receive the confirmation email. Not overly concerned, but want to make sure everything is in order.

I can't help but be disappointed that it's too dangerous to tour the Michigan, but I understand. Thanks for sharing the pics, Gistok, I look forward to seeing more.

Gistok

Post Number: 4918
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 12:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Part II: The upper reaches of the Michigan Theatre...

Well in order to get to the upper areas of the Michigan, we had get to the 3rd level of the parking deck, and remove some plywood sections. Getting in behind it was very difficult because you could not hold on to the railing in the way since it was covered in pigeon poop. So we had to do a balancing act to get over this railing. Behind it was a dimly lit 2 story staircase that still had its fancy plasterwork.

We ascended to the next level where we encountered some theatre offices with a lot of paper debris on the floor.

Then Mr. Pieroni took me thru to the front of the building into a totally spectacular space that I was not prepared for.... the inside of the false front arched windows. Standing inside that nearly 4 story tall curved space with light rushing in and being reflected off of many intricately arched and curved mirrors was a sight to behold!!

Sad but true, pictures do this space little justice...

The confusing effect of this space on your spatial senses was quite amazing!

And opposite this grand window, thru the theatre offices, we come upon the Grand Lobby from the south looking towards the north where the grand staircase used to be located. This spot was already a dizzying height for me (again no railings to keep you back).

At this point we were at the 1st balcony foyer level (which used to look down upon the grand lobby from the right before it was ripped out for the parking structure). We took another flight of stairs up to the 2nd balcony foyer.

The 2nd balcony stairway was not as fancy as that to the 1st balcony. The 2nd balcony foyer was directly over the Grand Lobby (with a 3rd balcony foyer and projection booth above this foyer).

(Note: in this last pic the dust that had accumulated onto my camera lense by now...)

The 2nd balcony foyer was a hauntingly beautiful, yet elegant space. Unfortunately every 30 feet or so it had a short hallway towards the balcony that went off to the right for about 10 feet... and then nothing.... just an open void with a 30-40 ft. drop!

There were 2 further such balcony "drop offs" until you reached a rather elegant 2nd balcony circular foyer...

Just beyond this circular foyer was another stairs that led to the 3rd balcony foyer and the projection booth above us.

But the railing-less stairs were at the edge of the building, and one could literally fall out of the building from 8 stories up! So we opted to return to the top of the parking deck down below.

From there we could look back towards the grand lobby, and the openings of the 2nd balcony foyer above it, as well as the projection booth and the closed off 3rd balcony foyer above that.

And when turning around we could see toward the stage and the procenium arch...

And when we looked upwards, we can still see the entire surviving plaster ceiling a further 75 feet above our heads. The Michigan auditorium was about 9 stories tall, or about 100-105 feet. So even from the 3rd level of the parking structure the vastness of the interior space has lost none of its' grandeur.

Even above this high space there as an enormous amount of dead space within the building. Mr. Pieroni's son said that there is a catwalk above the theatre ceiling, but he hadn't been up there in many years, and probably won't go again!

The only parts of the theatre that Mr. Pieroni feels safe in showing Forumers is the 1st level of the former theatre space, and 3rd level of the parking structure.

And since Preservation Wayne's excellent guided tour (August 18 - 4 1/2 hours) is going to cover all these areas in detail, it was decided to not have a separate tour.

But folks who have never been on the PW Tour should give it a try. You will see parts of the Opera House, Fox, State and yes even the former Oriental Theatre that movie and entertainment goers never get to see! And you will get to see the majesty of the former Michigan... but from a safe vantage point!

Another problem I had with this tour was the amount of dust, mold and debris in the air. When you walked on it, you sort of kicked it up. I was very gritty and dusty after this adventure. I had to wipe the dust off my camera and camera case, and take a shower as soon as I got home. Lord knows what is in that dust! :-(

Perhaps at some point in the future some safety features (railings or ropes, eliminate some debris, etc.) can be implemented to allow folks to see some of these spaces. But sorry to say, the former Michigan Theatre isn't quite there yet.

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1975
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 12:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you Gistok, amazing pictures. I had no idea.

Gistok

Post Number: 4919
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 12:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Your welcome Psip... whenever people say that there's not much left of the Michigan... I always say... "wanna bet!"

Scottr

Post Number: 628
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 12:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great pictures! the mirrored area behind the front window is amazing.

Legsdiamond
Username: Legsdiamond

Post Number: 46
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 5:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Gistok. Those pics are amazing. It's Mark from Minneapolis (who came to the theater tour last year). When I win the lottery, I know what my first project will be.

Hope you're having a great summer!

Tkelly1986
Username: Tkelly1986

Post Number: 382
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 8:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The funny part is that the Michigan is probably in better shape that what many say the Capitol was before the Opera House went in

56packman

Post Number: 1551
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 8:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Michigan, at the moment of its "demise" as a theatre was in very good shape. Very few roof leaks (resulting in damaged plaster). The heating plant was intact, the basement dry.
Compared to the Capitol/Grand Circus it would have been an easy restoration. All of the damage caused by the rock crowds were limited to how far they could reach--the biggest damage done to the place was to the reputation. No one said boo-shit about the demo/conversion.

Billk
Username: Billk

Post Number: 46
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is the office part of the building occupied ?

Gistok

Post Number: 4922
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes it is. Only the 13th (top) floor has no tenants. One reason is because you have to take an elevator up to 12, and then hop onto another elevator to go to 13. So the 13th floor is only used for storage today.

When looking at the Michigan Building from the Grand Circus Park side, the building appears enormously bulky, and appears to take up the whole block.

But because of the massive bulk of the former theatre portion of the building (see my first pic above), the shallow "L" shaped office block is not as large as it appears from GCP.

(Message edited by Gistok on July 24, 2007)

Tponetom
Username: Tponetom

Post Number: 75
Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone recall the conversion of the Michigan Theater into an upscale "Night Club", circa
1972?
I was working for the D. & P. Plumbing Company at that time. A suburban "entertainment"
entrepreneur told the powers in charge, including the City officials, it would be a sensational
addition to the downtown scene. It turned out to be a "spa" for my boss who took a financial bath
on the project.
About three weeks after it opened, I was called out, early in the evening on a stormy night, to
repair a water leak in the kitchen. It was a very minor job that took me but a few minutes to fix.
I spent a half hour sitting in the empty balcony watching Vic Damone perform his act, before no more
than twenty people.

56packman

Post Number: 1569
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 1:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

tpontom--that was Sam Hadeus (sp?) the businessman who rechristened the Michigan theatre into the Michigan Palace,with big dreams of creating an upscale Vegas-style "supper club"
(wow, there's an ancient term) in the theatre. It didn't go, leaving the door open to Steve Glantz and the rock bands, the beginning of the end. If it only could have held on for another 10 years, minus the charge card company......

Slugger
Username: Slugger

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 9:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you go to this link..... http://local.live.com/ ...hit the "aerial button"....scroll down to the Michigan Building....hit "bird's eye view".....then hit the "E" button (east)....it gives an amazing perspective on the theatre in comparison with the "L" part of the building....also shows what a giant this building in comparison to it's neighbor the UA ...as well the GAR would be lost in the corner of the lobby

Horn_wrecker
Username: Horn_wrecker

Post Number: 23
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wsu,vmc

Found this view of The Michigan, classified as: parking & DSR strike.

Scottr

Post Number: 633
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is not the first time I've seen pictures of cars parked in the middle of the road. Was that common or was it just during the DSR strike?
Good pic, i hadn't seen that one.

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1854
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looking at the painted centerline, there are three stripes, so I'm guessing that might mean you can park like that. Maybe somebody who was around back then would know.

The Virtual Motor City just added about 20k of new image scans. The only way I found it was searching for DSR pics. The above photo doesn't show up on a search for Bagley or the Michigan Theatre.

Gistok

Post Number: 4978
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome to the forum Slugger!

Most downtown movie palaces had shallow office blocks at the front of the buildings. So from the street the attached office building appears to have a much larger size than they really do. This is especially true for the Fox, Music Hall and the Michigan.

As massive as the Fox Building appears from Woodward, it only houses about 450 Little Caesars employees. This is due to the large volume of space behind the facade that takes up the 6 story grand lobby and all the foyer spaces. At the back of the office building is the massive auditorium.

The Filmore (State) and United Artists had their theatres located farther back, and therefore had a bulkier office block. Both of these theatres had 1 story entrance outer lobbies, with a 2 story rotunda lobby behind that. Behind the office block the auditoriums were attached at the back.

The Michigan has such a shallow office block because the original builder (John Kunsky) wanted to build the largest theatre on that site that he could (4,050 seats), so it could be the flagship (largest) of his theatre chain.

Gistok

Post Number: 4981
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 3:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ever wonder what happened to the Michigan Theatre's 5/28 Wurlitzer Organ (largest Wurlitzer 5 console organ ever created)?

It was removed in 1956, and here it is today in a private residence in Racine Wisconsin:

http://www.racine.org/group_to urs/basement_bijou.html

56packman has been to this gentleman's house, and may be able to provide some interesting stories about it!

Billk
Username: Billk

Post Number: 53
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok, what does the interior of the office building look like? Is any of it oppulent or luxurious, or just drab? Do you have any pictures?

Gistok

Post Number: 4986
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have no pics of the Michigan office block.

But the office building entrance lobby has a nice ornamental plaster ceiling, although nothing too fancy. The walls appear to be of stone, but again nothing fancy. The elevator doors and interior also have some ornamentation.

But all of the office floors I have seen are without any fancy plasterwork or other ornamentation. But that doesn't mean that they were originally that way.

It is interesting to note that many downtown office buildings originally had a lobby with stone veneer walls, and plaster or mosaic or tile ceilings. In the Guardian Bldg. it was Mankato Stone, Numidian Marble and Rookwood Tiles.

And many office floors in downtown buildings had plain marble veneer on the lower half of the hallway walls, with simple plaster walls on the upper half. Some old buildings still have this, others were remodeled in the mid 20th century to eliminate the marble, as well the replacement of older lighting fixtures by fluorescent lighting.

Drop ceilings were also common among remodeled buildings with tall ceilings, as cheap way of remodeling (and it made the fluorescent lighting easy to install).

Another common feature among older buildings was the office entrance doors with the large opaque glass upper half and the business name stenciled on the doors (like in old detective and 3 Stooges movies). Although many have been replaced by solid wooden doors, some old doors still remain in a few older downtown buildings.

The one thing in old remodeled downtown buildings that seems to remain relatively intact is elevators doors. The doors were usually made of metal, and replacement was probably cost prohibitive. And since the metal doors were durable, old fancy elevator doors seem to be the norm downtown, although elevator interiors were often remodeled several times due to their heavy use.

As was the case with old movie palaces, building owners would boast... "look at all the expense we went thru so you won't have to look at all that old stuff anymore".

And yet today, as has been found in buildings such as the Book-Cadillac and Book Tower lobby, there is wonderful early 20th century artwork waiting to be restored, hidden under that lobby drop ceiling.

Sometimes building owners mixed old elements with newer remodeling, and the results are not always esthetically great. One of the oddest lobby renovations has to be in the Francis Palms Building (Filmore/State Theatre office building). The walls are of nice marble, but in a plain modern style. The elevator doors have very ornate brass facades. And the stairway to the 2nd floor next to the elevators have simple modern brass railings, but if you look up into the stairway ceiling (looking 2 stories up) you see a very ornate plaster ceiling.

(Message edited by Gistok on July 30, 2007)