Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Clawson is dumb. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

321brian
Username: 321brian

Post Number: 381
Posted on Sunday, July 01, 2007 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has anyone driven through the 14 and Main intersection lately?

The have turned Main in to one lane each way for about a quarter mile south of 14. They turned the old right hand lanes in to parking.

I guess they are working at a more walkable "downtown" but Main is pretty busy through there and creating a bottleneck doesn't seem like a great idea.

Esp
Username: Esp

Post Number: 89
Posted on Sunday, July 01, 2007 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20070629/M ETRO02/706290375/1009

This is dumb. I discovered it the hard way. Bottleneck to slow people down to look around and maybe get out and park?

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1775
Posted on Sunday, July 01, 2007 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It sounds like Clawson thinks it may be more important to create a walkable downtown and support local businesses, rather than funneling commuters through as fast as possible. Hmm, doesn't sound that dumb after all.

Also, the article mentions that Main street used to have on-street parking up until 1978, so they're just reverting that back to the way it was.

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 927
Posted on Sunday, July 01, 2007 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not a dumb idea Ferndale did it and look at it.

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 551
Posted on Sunday, July 01, 2007 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with Dougw. I applaud Clawson for making such a move. I wonder how this, combined with the lower speed limit they plan on implementing, will impact not only the local businesses but traffic counts themselves. Will commuters, who are mostly only driving straight through anyways, find alternate routes to avoid the area?

Right now, commuters seem to feel the cities they drive through should cater to them, giving them 10 lanes of roadway to barrel through their town, and then get upset when they decide they want their town back. It'll be interesting to see if this really works, it's an idea I've often thought would work in the city i grew up in.

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 378
Posted on Sunday, July 01, 2007 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

great Idea out there. It would cause hell but why dont we try a commuter rail and one lane each way from the base of woodward to chicago Blvd. Might spur retail probably make traffic in town more like boston though. I know it wouldn't work well in detroit now but would have been very interesting if they never expanded woodward.

Parkguy
Username: Parkguy

Post Number: 64
Posted on Sunday, July 01, 2007 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They should add bump-outs at the corners, which would make driving in the parking lane impossible. I'm all for it. Everywhere in town.

Leland_palmer
Username: Leland_palmer

Post Number: 340
Posted on Sunday, July 01, 2007 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Berkley has done it as well, but at least they have 2 lanes. It has improved the area greatly.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 2089
Posted on Sunday, July 01, 2007 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They're experimenting with something like that on Washington in R.O. The original lane wasn't quite working, so they're playing with right turn lanes in a couple of places, which is a great idea.

Now, if they can only train drivers to watch for pedestrians crossing at the new crosswalks. Maybe if people hung up their damn phones...

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 476
Posted on Sunday, July 01, 2007 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like Clawson isnt so dumb to me....

Esp
Username: Esp

Post Number: 90
Posted on Sunday, July 01, 2007 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bump-outs would be nice.

Adamjab19
Username: Adamjab19

Post Number: 789
Posted on Sunday, July 01, 2007 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like what Clawson has done. Haven't noticed log jam issues.

I live a half mile from downtown and it's a nice walk to the corner and around to the handful of bars and restaurants that are there.

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1777
Posted on Sunday, July 01, 2007 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreed, bump-outs would be good. They may be experimenting and getting traffic counts etc before they invest in the bump-outs, though.

Darwinism
Username: Darwinism

Post Number: 656
Posted on Sunday, July 01, 2007 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isn't this the type of urban planning often trumpeted here on DetroitYes when discussing reviving cities ?

Shouldn't we be applauding Clawson's courage to bring back the 'walkable' environment instead of giving folks a 'Big Beaver Road' to zip right through from Royal Oak through to Rochester ?

Sometimes we wonder why SE Michigan never gets anywhere with anything whatsoever ..... perhaps it is the fragmented 'wants' versus the 'needs' in this region.

Think about it - if you want a more self-reliant community that depends less on cars and on foreign oil, then you need to help the local businesses thrive. Encourage people to shop, eat, and entertain within their community. I second the thoughts expressed by most of the above who say that Clawson isn't dumb at all when it comes to this issue. In fact, they may well be genius.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4626
Posted on Sunday, July 01, 2007 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My brother just moved there. It's Royal Oak's doormat but it is still nice and there is a sense of community. The whole city is getting new roads even in the residential areas.

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 314
Posted on Sunday, July 01, 2007 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It sounds good to me. A more walkable community is one that I'd look at before the auto-centric ones (sorry Troy).

Why take 14 Mile when you can travel east-west via 696 or Bigass Beaver, like they were intended? Maybe narrowing 14 Mile will help to spur a more vibrant and functioning center of business and residency.

Futurecity
Username: Futurecity

Post Number: 608
Posted on Sunday, July 01, 2007 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rock on, Clawson.

Finally common sense has inspired you to make your main street something more than a traffic sewer.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 735
Posted on Sunday, July 01, 2007 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Steelworker, try driving down Nine Mile in downtown Ferndale at four o' clock in the afternoon. The one thing drivers notice is...downtown. Why? Because they sit in two lanes of east/west traffic with a dozen lights that guarantee you WILL see downtown, and, pedestrians walking faster then you can drive. But if that is the whole idea, then I guess Clawson better learn to like it.

Abracadabra
Username: Abracadabra

Post Number: 37
Posted on Sunday, July 01, 2007 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is perhaps a positive for the people in the immediate area, but I believe businesses in the area will see less traffic. It is a grand idea to avoid auto-centric communities, but you are forgetting that people will hop in their car to go an 1/8th mile to drop a letter in a mailbox.

321brian

Post Number: 382
Posted on Sunday, July 01, 2007 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My points were:

1. Reducing Main from 5 to 3 lanes is a bad idea.

2. Adding parallel parking spaces is also a bad idea.

Generally people can't parallel park. It takes them 2 or 3 tried to get everything lined up. When there is only one lane for traffic it creates a problem.

If downtown Royal Oak can have 4 lanes why can Clawson?

Clawson should get rid of the middle turn lane and stick with 2 in each direction.

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 740
Posted on Sunday, July 01, 2007 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

321brian, your points are all well taken. I live in Ferndale so I know what you are saying. I just have a prob with the city planners who put a dozen out of sync lights through a mile of downtown.

321brian

Post Number: 383
Posted on Sunday, July 01, 2007 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All of the lights on Main from Normandy to Hendrickson are incredibly ill timed.

At certain times of the day you are pretty likely to get stopped by all of them.

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1941
Posted on Sunday, July 01, 2007 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Generally people can't parallel park. It takes them 2 or 3 tried to get everything lined up. When there is only one lane for traffic it creates a problem.
"

or get a Lexus that parks its self.

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 553
Posted on Sunday, July 01, 2007 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I just have a prob with the city planners who put a dozen out of sync lights through a mile of downtown.

quote:

All of the lights on Main from Normandy to Hendrickson are incredibly ill timed.

Depends on the point of view. If they want to move traffic through as fast as possible (unlikely, given all that I've read here) then obviously they're doing a crappy job. If the goal is to slow traffic down, and possibly reduce traffic counts by discouraging commuters from using that route, then this just might do it.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6138
Posted on Sunday, July 01, 2007 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Downtown Clawson is trying to look like Downtown Birmingham. So let's give thae area a chance.

Darwinism

Post Number: 657
Posted on Sunday, July 01, 2007 - 11:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with Scottr's assessment. From the DetNews article that Esp linked, it sounds like there will be a good share of problems in the initial stages. The owners of the A&W and the ice-cream parlor across the street seem to understand the short-term confusion and frustration, but are supportive of the change for the long-term.

As Scottr described, if the goal is to slow traffic down substantially and cut down the number of vehicles zipping right through, then perhaps it is already working as intended.

Hudkina
Username: Hudkina

Post Number: 22
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 12:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They did this in downtown Trenton a few years ago. It used to be five lanes, but now it is only one lane in each direction with a large center median and parking along the sides. The difference is that Jefferson Ave wasn't a major "through" street anyway and Trenton is on the river at the southern edge of the metro.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 845
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 9:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it's a fine idea. As mentioned above, Ferndale did it. Cities should be about pedestrians, not cars. You go around the city if you want to move faster in a car. However, they should work on creating an efficient bypass in that area .

Exmotowner
Username: Exmotowner

Post Number: 325
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 9:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Steelworker, Frendale got the gay folks thats why housing and everything there is doing so good! Detroit didnt want em!

Dannaroo
Username: Dannaroo

Post Number: 81
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 9:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Abracadabra said:

quote:

This is perhaps a positive for the people in the immediate area, but I believe businesses in the area will see less traffic.

I don't think this will hurt the businesses in downtown Clawson. Most of the business in the 14 and Main area are likely to be drawing their customers from the surrounding neighborhoods in Clawson, Troy and Royal Oak. If that area were full of big-box retail stores or strip malls, it may be a different story, but I think the people who already patronize the businesses in that area (their own backyard essentially) are likely to appreciate the traffic being slowed down and the potential walk-ability.

Planner_727
Username: Planner_727

Post Number: 113
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Something to consider when you make a negative association with the businesses will seeing less traffic: that isn't always a bad thing. In every small community in Michigan that has a main street going through (M- or US- route especially) there is this same debate when constructing a bypass comes up.

For certain businesses, especially those who depend on impulse shopping and offer services you can find anywhere, it's the sheer number of cars that counts (gas stations, fast food to a certain extent, most auto-related businesses like auto parts, oil change, car wash). Fortunately, these businesses can re-locate or just deal with a bit lower business.

For the other businesses, especially those that focus on a unique product that people are willing to drive or walk farther for, it is the atmosphere, location, and accessibility that is paramount. When you slow traffic down, provide on-street parking, add pedestrian amenities, etc. you improve the experience (and in the case of the bypass, reduce truck traffic and congestion). These improvements are annoying to the through-driver, but result in a benefit to downtowns and the types of businesses they want to attract.

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 928
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do drive down 9 mile all the time. It isnt hard to find another road to drive if you need to get around downtown. But if your not in a hurry I will purposely drive down 9mile. Just to find out what new store or people watch. Its not a big deal at all if your silly and refuse to try other routes around 9mile then sure its a problem or if you hate seeing a more viable downtown then sure complain. Saratoga is a good options or even scoot over to troy if its clear up to there. No way is it a tragic traffic situation.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 848
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

By the way, this passed in the Ferndale city council.

http://dailytribune.com/storie s/062507/loc_downtown001.shtml

"The Downtown Development Authority wants council to approve a plan to create what is called a principal shopping district.

The current 14-block downtown is chiefly centered along Nine Mile Road east and west of Woodward.

The DDAs proposal would add about 12 blocks along Woodward, both north and south of Nine Mile, to the downtown.

Expansion of downtown boundaries would also add about 200 businesses to the roughly 220 within the existing downtown."

(Message edited by johnlodge on July 02, 2007)

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1061
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"If the goal is to slow traffic down, and possibly reduce traffic counts by discouraging commuters from using that route, then this just might do it."

It also reduces serious accident risk...

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 101
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The thing with putting the on-street parking on Main is that most of the businesses in that area have their own parking either in front or next to their establishments. I don't see enough building density to warrant on-street parking. In the week or so since it has been implemented I have seen the street rarely used for parking.

Sirrealone
Username: Sirrealone

Post Number: 19
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I disagree with the "reduces serious accident risk" being a consideration as to why this might be good.

1) If this really were true, then let's think about it. You could set the speed limit on every roadway to 25MPH and of course you'd have less serious accidents, but would anyone go for this? Of course not.

2) I think it's poor policy making whenever choke points are added to roadways. Major thoroughfares were designed to allow for the flow of traffic. When you start creating choke points, this takes away from the original intention of the roadway. I think adding lights and reducing lanes should be the last resort in any situation.

They talked about doing this on Van Dyke through 'downtown-ish' Utica a few years back, with the idea being that if traffic was forced to move slower, it would give more exposure to the stores. Um, does anyone think that motorists, who are going to be made angry by this plus late because of the extra time added to their commute, is going to pull off and patronize the store he sees while crawling along in front of it? Give me a break.

This is not wise. Think of all the extra costs to drivers in the form of additional gas, brakes, and general wear and tear on peoples cars. Yes, you might have an argument that it gives more exposure to business, but at what cost? If people are collectively wasting a few hundred extra gallons of gas stuck in traffic, sure seems to me that it cancels out any benefit that the stores might get.

Also, what about the argument that this might actually keep people way? It's the same as if there is road construction...people avoid it and it hurts businesses. This could do more harm than good.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1097
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, just like people avoid the businesses in Ferndale, Royal Oak, and Birmingham. Those strips are dead. They should add lanes.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 505
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But the old main streets have largely been replaced by highways, as far as the need to serve high-speed through-traffic goes.

For instance if you wanted to go from south of downtown Utica to north of downtown Utica quickly, you wouldn't use Van Dyke Avenue at all - you'd jump over to the M-53 highway, which was constructed for the express purpose of bypassing downtown Utica.

Look at St. Clair Shores and what they did with Little Mack several years ago - I think it works great, and the point of a downtown in a city isn't for you to be able to drive through it quickly.

We've got to where we are by designing our communities for cars instead of people. It's about time we start to take our communities back.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 863
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sierra, Main already has low speed limits through Royal Oak. It's not as though people are flying up Main street and suddenly having to slow down in Clawson now. And there are plenty of alternate routes. Professorscott is right, downtown areas need to be for people not cars. Downtown Clawson has every right to want to be more than a means for you to get from point A to point B.

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 205
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't wait to go shopping in Clawson!

Er, what's there?

Iheartthed

Post Number: 1064
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

>Sirrealone

Okay... but... it still reduces risk of serious accident. You have people walking, you have a lot of cars, the faster those cars are going means the higher the probability of injury to a driver/passenger/pedestrian when an accident occurs. If you put in measures to slow that traffic then you reduce that probability.

There is a reason that slower traffic places like NYC have low auto-related fatality rates...

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 2512
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Professorscott wrote:
quote:

For instance if you wanted to go from south of downtown Utica to north of downtown Utica quickly, you wouldn't use Van Dyke Avenue at all - you'd jump over to the M-53 highway, which was constructed for the express purpose of bypassing downtown Utica....

That would have made more sense if you had omitted the word "downtown." M-53 is great for getting from 18 Mile to 23 Mile quickly.

I get your point though.

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 744
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sirrealone, you make a good point about the pissed off drivers not patronizing businesses as they are stuck in traffic: If I'm on the way home to my family after a hard day of work, and I'm stuck in front of a gay bar in Ferndale for five minutes while waiting for a light to change, I’m not going to say "Oh look! A gay bar! I think I'll go in and homo out!" Professorscott, S.C.S. has two bypasses around the downtown (smart!) so you don’t get what Sirrealone just described. Ferndale doesn’t have that (the bypasses) ...that was until Steelworkers bright idea to drive down Saratoga, ya prick! (jk, Steelworker) Next time I'm stuck in some ones good idea, I'm going to drive down the sidewalk.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1099
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bulletmagnet, I lived in Ferndale for a year, and you are SERIOUSLY exaggerating the traffic congestion on 9 Mile, even at the peak of rush hour.

Besides, as has been said 40 times in this thread, if you are on 9 Mile over and over again trying to get somewhere fast, you're a ridiculous idiot because 8 Mile and 696 surround you.

Jb3
Username: Jb3

Post Number: 65
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Noble fish, yummmmmmmmmm.
Thomas Video, no better place for indies.

"This is not wise. Think of all the extra costs to drivers in the form of additional gas, brakes, and general wear and tear on peoples cars. Yes, you might have an argument that it gives more exposure to business, but at what cost? If people are collectively wasting a few hundred extra gallons of gas stuck in traffic, sure seems to me that it cancels out any benefit that the stores might get."

I think the point of the next evolution of cities is to get people to live closer to where they work (in a perfect world of course). Good downtowns will cater to its citizens, not those passing through. Good business will do good business from their local residents, others will come because of that.

"We've got to where we are by designing our communities for cars instead of people. It's about time we start to take our communities back."

TruDat, now think about how easy it would be to run a rail line (trolley) from downtown to downtown. Woodward Ferndale to Main St. Royal oak to Main St. Clawson to Livernois Troy (if Troy ever gets off its ass and pushes for redevelopment of the Maple Livernois corner, there too stuck in suburbia though to ever do anything) and on to somerset as the anchor, sounds frickin profitable to me.

You're all cracked if you think any of these downtowns should be catering to those that simply want to pass through, so YAYYY for Clawson, get those Troy prick commuters the hell outta there, i'm going to Noble Fish!!!! When's the next trolley? Damn i hate this shit!

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 1341
Posted on Wednesday, July 04, 2007 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, so a place is dumb just because they're trying to discover new ways to keep the money flowing on the busiest street in their city center? Now I've read everything. Detroit should be trying to do the same thing with Woodward at the moment. It wouldn't be a terrible idea taking up some of the concrete and putting Free Parking in it's place.

(Message edited by Urbanize on July 04, 2007)

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 703
Posted on Wednesday, July 04, 2007 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unlike Main Street or 9 Mile, Woodward is a major thoroughfare that was actually BUILT to move traffic. So I'm sorry, but that's not an incredibly bright idea.

Urbanize

Post Number: 1343
Posted on Wednesday, July 04, 2007 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I meant the sidewalk, not the street Yvette. Why do we need all that sidewalk anyway if there's hardly any pedestrianship up and down the street?

321brian

Post Number: 386
Posted on Wednesday, July 04, 2007 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, just because there is street parking I am supposed to want and stop and spend money?

The problem is if you are driving south from 16 and Livernois your two nearest north/south options are Crooks and Rochester which (you guessed it) all come together with Main just south of 12 mile.

So to bypass the "downtown" part of Clawson you will have to fight Big Beaver to get a little bit east to Rochester or a little bit west Crooks.

Not worth it.

Maybe if enough people like me keep congesting the Main and 14 intersection it will keep the people who actually want to patronize "downtown" Clawson businesses away because of the traffic.

Brilliant!!!

Urbanize

Post Number: 1349
Posted on Wednesday, July 04, 2007 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Geez, if you hate it som much, just find a different route. They don't have to change their planning just for special commuters like you.

321brian

Post Number: 387
Posted on Wednesday, July 04, 2007 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought i just mad it clear that the alternative routes aren't worth the trouble.

It's just a bad idea. I just drove through there and the only thing in the parking spaces are barricades that say "parking spaces".

I should start a different post on why people can't merge.

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 267
Posted on Wednesday, July 04, 2007 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

pedestrianship

Let's make up new words while we're at it.

Urbanize

Post Number: 1357
Posted on Wednesday, July 04, 2007 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Dds:

http://www.urbandictionary.com /define.php?term=Pedestrianshi p

You need to learn some urban slang.

321brian

Post Number: 389
Posted on Wednesday, July 04, 2007 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

here is one for U.

buster:

Someone who cant hang or is just acting like a little punk bitch.

Someone who does not keep it real; a poser;

Urbanize

Post Number: 1359
Posted on Wednesday, July 04, 2007 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wtf did that come from? You must have had too many drinks. If I recall, I was responding to Dds, not 321brian.

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 765
Posted on Wednesday, July 04, 2007 - 11:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But Focusonthed, what if I want to drive my F-150 a quarter mile to go to Comos or Magic Bag? What am I gonna do? WALK?

Dds

Post Number: 268
Posted on Wednesday, July 04, 2007 - 11:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

You need to learn some urban slang

No I don't. I'll leave that for the high schoolers on the forum.

Urbanize

Post Number: 1360
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 8:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My point is, pedestrianship is a word. Secondly, anyone uses slang. That's a closed-minded opinion. Schoolers is technically a slang word for students. You don't even know what "slang" is. So don't correct me until you do your research.

Darwinism

Post Number: 658
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 10:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would like to know where does 321Brian lives, and where he works, so that I can better understand the routes and possible alternates.

Dds

Post Number: 270
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Urbanize:

Don't you have some weather to watch? I hear there's a storm coming.

(Message edited by dds on July 05, 2007)

Iheartthed

Post Number: 1067
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Unlike Main Street or 9 Mile, Woodward is a major thoroughfare that was actually BUILT to move traffic. So I'm sorry, but that's not an incredibly bright idea."

I highly doubt this as Woodward Avenue predates the automobile...

Johnlodge

Post Number: 913
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The problem with everybody whining because they don't like this plan and think it's "dumb" is that it has already been proven to work for some cities. And to everybody complaining about 9 mile, give me a break. It takes all of 3 minutes to get through downtown Ferndale at the peak of rush hour. If that's too inconvenient for you, and you just HAVE to go faster, you're probably one of those drivers I don't want around me anyway, so by all means find some other route.

Ray
Username: Ray

Post Number: 933
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 1:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You go, Clawson. This is awesome.