Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Tiger Stadium - City Council Public Hearing July 9th, 2007 @ 11:15 « Previous Next »
Archive through July 01, 2007Urbanoutdoors43 07-01-07  10:00 am
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 424
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am takin off work to go. Anyone else?

(Message edited by Urbanoutdoors on July 08, 2007)

Jb3
Username: Jb3

Post Number: 146
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I may try to send one or both of my bosses. I'm slammed at work right now. Won't know until the morning though.

GOOD FOR YOU!!!!

Harpernottingham
Username: Harpernottingham

Post Number: 206
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What I appreciate most about this thread is the civil discourse. It's a nice change of pace from some of the other threads.

Tigersfan9
Username: Tigersfan9

Post Number: 105
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did anyone attend the meeting?

Detourdetroit
Username: Detourdetroit

Post Number: 322
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was a pretty civilized public hearing. Roughly equal numbers speaking for and against the EDC proposal. The council seemed split about whether to take a vote or not and determined to wait for the Planning Commission response in writing. Sheila Cockrel was most vocal in favor of the EDC proposal, citing a need to move forward and this proposal being the best thing that's come forward to date (in light of all of the previous attempts, earlier RFP,etc). Joann Watson was most vocal about not approving the plan without more information and a clear developer in place. She mentioned Tiger Stadium having important personal history for her as it was the place her parents met... she also had several funny quips about there needing to be a development in the "on deck" circle before she'd be willing to allow for the demo...

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 431
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It sounds like they will vote on monday seeing that the planning commission meets thursday. It could go either way Joann watson also said that it would be a disservice to the planning commission if they did not abide by their recommendation since they are city appointed officials who are to advise the council on decisions of this matter. All and all it will make for an interesting decision. It was rushed a bit though because it ran into the time for the NAACP festivities that many of the council members wanted to attend. I believe it was 19 people who got up to talk. The amount for and against was pretty well split as Detourdetroit put. I could be wrong but I believe 10 against and 9 for it.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 698
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great, the whole neighborhood has to sit around with this abandoned eyesore just because this woman's parents met there. Just the fact that this is mentioned at a meeting tells me how focused discussions are in this town. No wonder we cant get anywhere.

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 433
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am sorry detroitstar that was not her point what so ever. It was more that every person in the room shares some sentimate about the stadium. It was one of the more suprising debates in city council that I have heard. No decision will be made untill monday. The argument against the current plan is the same argument that has always been their that it has no funding or development plus the argument of detroit forgetting its history. The argument for is what detroitstar just expressed that some thing needs to be done.

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 2209
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've got to hand it to Watson for once, I actually agree with her: refer it to the Planning Commission. This is the group that is charged with reviewing things just like this in detail. I can't say that Detroit's Planning Commission is made up of a lot of geniuses, but at least she agreed to follow proper procedures and refer it to a body that has at least a little more knowledge of these sorts of things than Council.

It's sat vacant for how many years? Waiting until Thursday and then Monday won't be a hardship.

Tigersfan9

Post Number: 106
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 12:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is there any chance the Planning Commission goes against the DEGC and recommends anything other than almost complete demolition? I thought they were on-board with the DEGC's proposed plan from the outset.

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 438
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 7:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a chance that they would consider other plans depending on financing and a developer most likely being the key.

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 2214
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 9:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Planning Commission will have to make their decision based on the existing laws on the books (zoning, master plan, building codes, etc.). These decisions will be legally binding unless the Council decides to go against their own laws.

The Planning Commission can make recommendations/suggestions to Council based on their experiences as land use professionals, but those can only be non-binding recommendations. If Council wants to go above and beyond the existing laws on the books, they have to do so very carefully and with the cooperation of the developer.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6186
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The old Tiger Stadium could be a new home of Red Wings new stadium. Plenty of space, parking, retail and more neighborhood profits for Corktown.

Since Tiger Stadium closed lot's of shops and bars in the Corktown area loss some serious revenue. Nemo's have to keep their business going by using shuttle busses to take Tiger fans back and forth from Comerica Park. The businesses corridor on Michigan and Trumbull has been quick ghostown ever since. The Irish community of Corktown must find a way to survive in their preseved historical areas or die. CORKTOWN FOREVER, ERIN GO BRAUGH TO MY IRISH ANCESTORS.

(Message edited by danny on July 10, 2007)

Craggy
Username: Craggy

Post Number: 257
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 9:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny...the Old Shilleleigh is in Greektown.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 868
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Planning Commission only makes recommendations to the City Council. The CC is the decision-maker.

Harpernottingham

Post Number: 208
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I figured the CC was the decider.
My mistake.
Fool me once, shame on me.
Fool me twice ... uh, er ... uh, we won't get fooled again!

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 876
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The CC is the decision-maker.

You mean to tell me those clowns that participate on the City Council actually make bonafide decisions? I thought the only thing those retards decide and vote on is how to line their own wallets with taxpayer dough.

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 439
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.metrotimes.com/edit orial/story.asp?id=10804

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 440
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070712/NEWS01/70712060

This is what thursday nights vote to the planning commission was.

(Message edited by Urbanoutdoors on July 12, 2007)

Jb3

Post Number: 178
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 12:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Urban!

"Moreover, they said developers expect a clean site before committing funds and energy to a redevelopment plan."

What the King means is that his sisters cousins nephew expects a clean site to put some cheap townhomes on with a couple strip malls for retail.

"Kilpatrick's development aides argued that no viable plan has come forward for redevelopment, that the stadium has become a burden on the Corktown neighborhood and that no more money is available to maintain it."

I wonder if they ever think about spending a little to make a little. A few thousand bucks goes a long way in the hands of the right architect. Enough to conceive a 'viable plan' anyway.

Ramcharger
Username: Ramcharger

Post Number: 360
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 5:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tiger Stadium plan hits a snag

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 132
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 7:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wait another 5 years until it demolishes itself and then there will be nothing left to save, no field, nothing to auction. It's NOT going to be redeveloped.

Tigersfan9

Post Number: 107
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 8:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mdoyle, you're right in that it likely won't be redeveloped in its entirety. But I don't think it's unreasonable to hope for some part of the stadium to be saved. It likely won't ever be rehabilitated into a ballpark suitable for minor league play, but part of the structure being left intact could attract much more interest from tourists/visitors than merely the field surrounded by new homes/businesses.

Detourdetroit
Username: Detourdetroit

Post Number: 324
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 8:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

good decision by the commission! don't demolish a landmark until there is a higher better use.

Jsmyers
Username: Jsmyers

Post Number: 1902
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://crainsdetroit.com/apps/ pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070713 /REG/70713001/1060

Harpernottingham

Post Number: 215
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.d ll/article?A...16/UPDATE/70716 0389

Detroit council wants more info on Tiger Stadium plans

David Josar / The Detroit News

DETROIT -- City Council President Kenneth V. Cockrel said today he's asked for a written report on all the proposals the city has received to redevelop Tiger Stadium, who made them, how much they would cost and why they were rejected.

The Detroit Economic Growth Corp., the quasi-government entity spearheading the redevelopment of the site for Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick, has been asked to complete the report by Wednesday's council meeting.

The DEGC is pushing the council to approve the Tiger Stadium Redevelopment Plan, which calls for razing much of the stadium in favor of a recreational ball field and new residential and commercial development.

DEGC officials have said they have received no viable redevelopment proposal for the site, and that the best proposal will come once the stadium is gone.

Cockrel said he made the request after his office received two proposals on how to reuse the stadium over the past four days. "Let's get some answers," Cockrel said.

The mayor's plan for the ball field, which last hosted a Tigers game in 1999, was sidetracked last week when the city planning commission rejected the proposal.

The City Council must approve any plans for the vacant structure at Michigan and Trumbull.

The DEGC has lined up an auction house to sell pieces of the stadium and has a plan that would have demolition beginning by the end of the year.

But all plans are on hold until the City Council gives its approval.

The council could vote Wednesday on the proposal.

Jb3

Post Number: 203
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Harper!
The article has already been removed. Strange.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9581
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote{but part of the structure being left intact could attract much more interest from tourists/visitors than merely the field surrounded by new homes/businesses.}

Yeah those pesky residents and businesses will be less beneficial for the city than tourists.

Jb3

Post Number: 207
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 12:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whats wrong with doing both? Why does it have to be one or the other. I think we've had this discussion before about a COMPLETE LACK OF IMAGINATION.....pesky residents!

Just Kiddin. BRING EM ON!

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 451
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 6:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=20077071803 85
Today it was delayed till at least friday now.

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 900
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tiger Stadium proposals fell short

Report calls three redevelopment plans since '03 lacking; Cockrel says council may vote on park's fate next week.

David Josar / The Detroit News

DETROIT -- The city has received just three complete proposals to redevelop Tiger Stadium since 2003, and all had severe shortcomings, according to a report given to the City Council on Wednesday.

The report by the Detroit Economic Growth Corp. makes no mention of several other plans that have informally been pitched, a deletion some stadium supporters assert is further evidence city planners simply want to raze the historic structure as soon as possible.

The 32-page report, completed at the urging of City Council President Kenneth V. Cockrel, is scheduled for discussion Friday.

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.d ll/article?AID=/20070719/METRO /707190382&theme=Metro-Stadium s

The DEGC summary makes for an interesting read on all the proposals. The much discussed Navin field proposal according them had none of principles putting any equity into the project. The proposal said "most sports facilities this size are municipally owned" which the DEGC said implied the city was expected to finance some or all of the project.

DEGC summary:
http://detnews.com/graphics/20 07/0719tigerstadium.pdf

Jb3

Post Number: 226
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 11:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where is attachment 'A'? The rest of it is just garbage submitted from whatever rock the city kicked over. i'll admit i'm alittle suspect about this 'nationwide' RFP solicitation. somebody, somewhere didn't do there job right. That stadium is a moneymaker waiting to happen. But Hamilton/Anderson aren't slouches though, so anyone have a copy of attachment 'A'?

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 456
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 12:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

correct me if I am wrong but weren't both of those "minor league games" Womens baseball and that is why they only drew a small number of fans?
And as for the minor league statement they are partially right but miss many of the teams that are located in a decent proximity see my post # 377 for a more complete list.
The whole report looks a little fishy to me.
None the less it still does not negate the fact that there is no blueprints, funding nor developer.