Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Crane by the united artists building « Previous Next »
United Artist UpdateGotdetroit80 07-16-07  9:48 am
Archive through June 27, 2007Eric56 06-27-07  9:34 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1213
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well surprisingly, a building being on a historic register (city, state, or national) does NOT prevent that building from being torn down believe it or not. But that is a whole different thread and off topic.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5716
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not very surprising when we see the Madison-Lenox (as did most of the rest of the preservation-interested country) demolished right before you eyes, and so sloppily as if it was a poor hit job. I seriously doubt this is demolition, though, but it's only a hunch like everyone else's.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4683
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eric, for some strange reason, I don't think it's demo work. Putting equipment on the roof as Digitaldom mentioned, and swinging scaffolding as 3WC mentioned don't sound like demo type of activities.

I hope that Digitaldom's "canary" is right, and this turns out to be a big rehab. But then again, a big rehab hasn't exactly been their "modus operandi" in the past, especially as a loft type development.

Thejesus, you may think that this building is no big deal locally, but in national preservation circles it is. This building (with all the windows graffiti painted) was on the cover of last years NATIONAL TRUST FOR HISTORIC PRESERVATION magazine (circulation 700,000). You can bet that whatever the outcome here, it will be discussed at the national level at both the National Trust and at the Theatre Historical Society.

The United Artists Theatre doesn't seem to mean a whole lot to many forumers here, but to true theatre buffs and historians, the Detroit United Artists is among the top 5 best of C. Howard Cranes nearly 250 theatre designs (he was America's most prolific theatre architect).

And the Ilitch's have been "outted" (not that they care) on a national scale for their Madison-Lenox fiasco (first time a building on the National Trusts 11 Most Endangered Buildings list has been demolished during the year that it was on the list). And also having the Ilitch's named as downtown Detroit's biggest slumlord didn't help them.

I'm not suggesting they are having an Epiphany, but maybe Atanas Ilitch, the "creative" Ilitch who is heading up the redevelopment arm of the family business is asking mom and dad to cough up some money to bring some historic preservation "respectability" back to the Ilitch name.

After all back in 1989-90 (after the Fox Theatre rehab) the Ilitch's won some big awards from the American Institute of Architects, the Theatre Historical Society, and others... as "preservationists".

And then last year when Mike (and his son Christopher) Ilitch refused to meet with the president of the National Trust, things got to an all time low for them as "preservationists".

My hope is that this has something to do with the delayed Quicken decision. After all if Quicken were to move to the Hudson's block, it's already city owned, and would require no delays in an announcement. So my bets are still on the Statler & UA/Tuller blocks.

But it's all just still speculation at this point... but it's nice to keep hope alive! :-)

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 353
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 12:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love how people still refer to downtown property owners as slumlords when they or their family are the same people who left Detroit for the suburbs and abandoned the city that created the conditions that exist today. You can't keep up a building when no one is willing to occupy it and provide capital to run it. Do you have any idea how much money has been put into a building like the United Artist since it was purchased by Olympia? I bet the people on this forum would not even be able to afford the taxes for this building. Would you put in the same amount of money to keep this building?

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 540
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 12:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just to put a few things together here:

*Mysterious work on the UA building

*Work on CC bar has apparently stopped (according to 3rdworldcity on another thread)

*Ilitch has until August 14th, IIRC, to decide on a renewal of the JLA lease

*Gilbert has a self-imposed 60-day 'deadline' to decide on a Quicken HQ location, due to run out approx. in mid-August

*UA/Statler site is possible for Quicken

*just north of UA is the probable site for new arena

*Gilbert has been clear that he wants any announcement move to be a big thing, with more involved than just his own company.

When I add all this up, and throw in some random speculation based on previous discussions, I'm seeing a mega-announcement, probably sometime in the next 2 weeks, although it may be as far off as 6 weeks.

Included in this announcement, I foresee:

*a new arena

*renovation of the UA building for the new Quicken HQ

*new construction on the Tuller and Statler sites, for additional space for Quicken and Gilbert's other businesses and others that haven't been mentioned yet, probably some condos thrown in along GCP, and of course, parking.

*a restoration of the UA theatre (i know that is probably the shakiest part of all this speculation, but i still think it will happen)

Gistok

Post Number: 4687
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 12:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rjlj... that's a very good question. Let's see they got the building at a bargain price of around $300,000. So they've paid the taxes on that valuation, which is dirt cheap.

Now from the time they bought it in the late 1990's until before the Superbowl they put in... lets see for utilities... $0. For a needed new roof $0. For keeping scrappers and vagrants out $0.

Then before the Superbowl they paid to have the graffiti removed from the windows, the decaying marquee removed, and the building finally sealed.

So they've gotten away very cheap... on taxes and especially on improvements.

But you see the Ilitch's haven't been labeled "flawed brilliance" (by the Free Press) for nothing.

When they bought the Adams Theatre & Fine Arts Building (where the theatre entrance is) in 1990, it was a working theatre and office building with an intact roof. Well now there's 2 inches of mold over all theatre surfaces thanks to a very decayed roof, and the office block has to be torn down because it has started collapsing. So they are going to save the facade, and pay to have a new Fine Arts Building put behind the facade.

They could have saved themselves millions had they maintained the Fine Arts Building/Adams Theatre roof. So yes, they are spending millions, because deferred maintenance can become very costly!

(Message edited by Gistok on June 28, 2007)

Gistok

Post Number: 4688
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 12:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Scottr, yes I was thinking the same thing... except I think that the new Quicken HQ will be on the Statler site, since it a more prominent location than where the UA Building is located (sort of off GCP).

But Dan Gilbert also wanted a residential and entertainment component to a new exciting HQ, and that's where I see the UA Building coming it, with parking on the Tuller portion of the block (shared with a new arena?). But along the GCP portion of the Tuller site, I can see them building a facade of condos to hide the parking structure behind it.

(Message edited by Gistok on June 28, 2007)

Scottr

Post Number: 541
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 12:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're probably right on the UA being residential, I wasn't thinking too much along the lines of exact usage of any particular building, but more of a general idea, and it came across poorly. I would hope though that the parking isn't on the Tuller site, unless it's behind some residential along GCP. That view is too valuable to waste on a parking structure, IMHO. But however they shuffle it around, all these various pieces seem to be pointing to something big in the near future.

Plus, 'entertainment component' would seem to fit well with the theatre, although that could point towards 'merely' an arena as well. but I'm hoping...

Scottr

Post Number: 542
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 12:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

alas, i'm the victim of an edited post. good to see we are thinking along the same lines though. :-)

Gistok

Post Number: 4692
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 2:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's just hope that this beauty gets saved (in its' entirety!)....

Designerguy24
Username: Designerguy24

Post Number: 65
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for this one to happen

Gistok

Post Number: 4716
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 2:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interestingly enough, this view of the United Artists Building was never available until recently, because the Statler had always blocked the view.

Hopefully it will make fine residential living!

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2273
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 3:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The UA Building has potential as an office tower. Quite honestly, the theater portion needs to be torn down and replaced with a garage that extends onto the Tuller site. Have ground floor retail on the ground floor facing Adams and Bagley. Maybe residential could go above the garage on the Bagley side.

Detroithabitater
Username: Detroithabitater

Post Number: 15
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oops! my mistake!

(Message edited by DetroitHabitater on July 02, 2007)

Scottr

Post Number: 554
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroithabitater, I think you're confusing Tuller (the site between UA and GCP) with Statler (the site on the other side of Bagley).

But honestly, Royce, that's a horrible idea. Why destroy another theatre for parking in an area surrounded by vacant lots? Not to mention the Michigan theatre next door, itself gutted for parking. I'd rather see new mixed-use construction (office/parking/residential/re tail) on the Tuller and Statler sites, connected to a refurbished UA.

Gistok

Post Number: 4717
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And a parking structure facing a park (GCP) is not a good use of park frontage.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1826
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Neither is an opera house loading dock.

But it's there.

Gistok

Post Number: 4718
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, but look how nicely they built it. 99% of all folks who see that side of the Opera House have no clue that the lower level is a loading dock (used what, maybe once a month), while the upper part of the Opera House addition are the expanded stage needed for Opera. Without the availability of that addition, the entire block would be a flat parking lot today (with no Opera House).

As for a parking structure, you would easily be able to spot it from the other side of Grand Circus Park. You can't say the same thing about the Opera House loading dock.

Jasoncw
Username: Jasoncw

Post Number: 374
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would prefer a parking garage on Middle Street and Clifford. The area back there is already the back end of all of the theaters anyway. But I'd have a row of condos facing Adams. It would be like the theaters, except instead of office space it would be condos, and instead of theaters they would be garages.

The garage could service both the UA, and the GAR building, along with the condos. It also leaves the Tuller block open for something useful.

If necessary, a skywalk could be brought across Clifford, and then could go on the roof and into the UA (while not going into the theater).

But I don't think that would happen. It would be cool though.

Digitaldom
Username: Digitaldom

Post Number: 645
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I forgot to clarify... They were loading things onto the roof of the theatre portion.. NOT the UA building itself.. seemed odd.. I wont be doing a tour till 2 weeks from now.. But I will check it out when I get a chance... I wanted to venture over there.. but I had a tour to sheppard.. I will snap some pictures next time..

Gistok

Post Number: 4794
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 10:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good to hear about equipment being put onto the roof of the theatre portion of the United Artists Digitaldom!!! Are you working the Theatre Tours?? I'll be at my usual site, now known as the Filmore Theatre for the August 18th tours.

Wouldn't it be great to add the United Artists to future theatre tours!! It would be nice to have another restored exotic (Temple Style) theatre on the Detroit scene, besides only the Fox. It would really add some nightlife to Bagley Ave.

As we saw, the Opera House helped add nightlife to Broadway Ave.

The question of whether or not Detroit can handle another performance venue is a good one.

Packman56 has brought that issue up several times. If there is not enough entertainment, it begs the question of why Olympia Entertainments is interested in the Masonic? After all with the 5,174 seat Fox, it begs the question of why they also would want to do bookings for the 4,404 seat Masonic?

Maybe a 2,070 seat smaller venue (United Artists) would make a good fit into their portfolio of bookings? Even if it becomes a part of the Quicken complex, I could see Olympia handle the bookings.

Jasoncw
Username: Jasoncw

Post Number: 381
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 11:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't have any doubts that there's space for another theater. State, Fox, Fisher, opera house, etc. seem to be doing good.

Also, I wonder, if they need to redo all of the plaster anyway, what's to stop someone from bulldozing the theater and rebuilding it somewhere else on the block?

Gistok

Post Number: 4814
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jason, it would be MUCH cheaper for them to restore/recreate the plaster shell to the existing theatre than to raze and start over again.

It is an exotic theatre built in the Temple Style, with a mixture of Spanish Gothic and Art Deco. And it has something that is difficult to recreate today... perfect acoustics.

And it is in the perfect location on the Tuller/UA block. It is in the SW corner of the block, with 18 story UA Building to its' immediate south. That makes the majority of the block available for other constructions. So its' location is not that much of a hindrance.

When the Capitol Theatre was restored/reconstructed as the Detroit Opera House, 90% of its' plasterwork was recreated.

As I mentioned before, of the 250 theatres that prolific Detroit architect C. Howard Crane designed, after his Detroit and St. Louis Fox masterpieces, his 3 United Artists Theatres (Los Angeles, Chicago (razed) and Detroit) were the crowning glory of his designs. No point in razing a masterpiece, as long as there is a use for it.

Downtown_remix
Username: Downtown_remix

Post Number: 426
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i have a feeling we will have some of the biggest developement news in downtown history very soon.

Deandub11
Username: Deandub11

Post Number: 117
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh yea? When...

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 1328
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

soon enough and worth the wait

Gistok

Post Number: 4819
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As I've mentioned before, in the immortal words of comedian Rich Hall....

"Good things comes to those who wait, but crap shows up right away!" :-)

Gotdetroit
Username: Gotdetroit

Post Number: 82
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just noticed some workers inspecting the roof of the UA theater. One worker was tossing what looked like dirt on certain spots of the roof. But I'm sure it's just powdered C4.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1325
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4038
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 1:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This post got buried in the Quicken thread, but it belongs here also and puts a huge BUMP to this thread... or maybe it belongs in its own thread called "Money talks and inspection takes a walk".

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 834
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 11:08 pm:

------------------------------ ------------------------------ --------------------
The Whitney is owned by Becker Ventures in Troy. Charles Becker is a Grosse Pointer who has made a ton of money in various businesses, including Hard Rock Hotels. A few years ago a retired GM exec bought the Whitney for a reported $7 million. Hard to believe anyone could be so stupid. Could or could not be true. I have no idea what Becker paid for it. When asked what was going on there recently, Becker's real estate guy told an associate of mine that the building was in the process of being sold and that there were two prospective buyers. The asking price is very high and I'm not going to post it here. Believe it? I rarely believe anything I hear any more, but you've heard the official line.

Here is what a FOIA Request would show re: the UA.

As of yesterday, Neither Olympia, Beal, Spider, or anyone else has pulled any kind of a permit for the work going on at the UA.

In Feb. 'O7 the Building and Safety Engineering Dept. issued a "Correction Order" requiring Olympia to obtain a "Certificate of Compliance" for the building. That's a big deal for an office building owner. Olympia was to have done whatever work was necessary to have brought the building into compliance before April 8, '07. It had as of yesterday not complied and has not been given an extension.

Inquiries were made by a citizen to the BASE Dept. in late June demanding to know why work was going on w/o permits. No response.

The next day a BASE inspector inspected the UA and issued a - I can't remember the title of the demand - but let's say it was another correction order. Olympia was required to provide to the City by July 7th a complete disclosure of the nature and extent of the work going on there in order for the City to determine whether permits were required. As of yesterday no report had been filed as ordered.

The City reports that there is nothing in the files of the Planning Dept relating to the UA Building. No correspondence or any other communications between the City and Olympia or any of its affiliates, including notes of verbal conversations.

This is what was disclosed pursuant to a FOIA request filed in late June. Does the City take its disclosure obligations seriously? Hell no. But I do believe there is nothing else in the BASE Dept files re: the building.

No other building owner in the City can act with impugnity and in total disregard of its obligations set forth in City Rules, Regulations and Ordinances as does Ilitch. Would I conduct myself as Ilitch does given the opportunity? Sure would.

Exmotowner
Username: Exmotowner

Post Number: 382
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, in other words nobody still knows anything about it? That sucks! Whats Iliches number. CALL HIM! LOL (Im sure he would tell me its none of our damn business)! LOL

When i was up there over memorial day, I couldnt even find the building with the marquee gone.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 831
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well I canary I talked to said that the illiches are up to a huge rehab project.. could this be it?

G.A.R. Building perhaps. I don't see Ilitch plunking tens of millions to restore a theater near his Fox Theatre. Why create competition for himself? And the State/Palms/Fillmore is nearby. I don't see it.

Gistok

Post Number: 5014
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well a restored United Artists Theatre may make some sense.... his Fox Theatre has 5,174 seats.

What about smaller performances for acts of under 2,000? He may not want to tie up the huge Fox for smaller acts. Plus he doesn't do bookings for the Filmore/State, so he may want to compete with them on their scale. The current seating of the Filmore is 2,200 seats.

And if it becomes part of a Quicken complex, the naming rights may be sold to Quicken ($$$), but the bookings will likely be Olympia.

From what folks have been saying those large crates (with roofing material?) are being hoisted by crane onto the top of the theatre portion of the complex.

(Message edited by Gistok on August 03, 2007)

Jazzstage
Username: Jazzstage

Post Number: 7
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 2:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny, even though I read this thread earlier, the Bald Eagle in Bloomfield thread changed the contest for me. I clicked on it expecting to see a beautiful water fowl.

Scottr

Post Number: 671
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 3:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For those who aren't following the Quicken Thread, a caption for a picture of the UA building in a Detroit news article reads "The United Artists building is being renovated." No further info than that, unfortunately.
http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.d ll/article?AID=/20070806/BIZ/7 08060321

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 855
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 3:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well a restored United Artists Theatre may make some sense.... his Fox Theatre has 5,174 seats.

What about smaller performances for acts of under 2,000? He may not want to tie up the huge Fox for smaller acts. Plus he doesn't do bookings for the Filmore/State, so he may want to compete with them on their scale. The current seating of the Filmore is 2,200 seats.

For crowds of that size, hasn't it been reported that Olympia is taking over the Masonic Temple's theaters?

a Detroit news article reads "The United Artists building is being renovated." No further info than that, unfortunately.

You're talking about the same newspaper that said the Book-Cadillac is on Grand Boulevard. I am sure it's just another error from that paper. Trust me, if Ilitch was saving that building, he'd let everyone know about it. He loves the good press.

Scottr

Post Number: 672
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 4:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol. true, good point. although i'm not so quick to jump to criticism based on one error. I've seen far worse than that. Mistakes happen.

In any case, i think it's clear something is going on there. He may love good press, but what's better - a third page blurb that he's renovating it or a huge front page story combining that with an arena and quicken and who knows what else? If anything close to what's been speculated here is true, he could be part of one of the biggest downtown stories of the decade - i doubt he'd give that up to get a little good press now. I think he's holding off on an announcement for a good reason.

That, or he's just too cheap to get the proper permits.

Dan_the_man
Username: Dan_the_man

Post Number: 24
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the Masonic holds around 5,000 too, so Ilitch managing that would be more of a direct competition to the Fox than the smaller UA

Gistok

Post Number: 5031
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Correct Dan_the_man, the Masonic does have 5,000 seats, although only 4,404 are actually used.

Those seats immediately to the left and right of the stage have very poor sight lines (since the Masonic seating is Horseshoe shaped, rather than fan shaped like most other old theatres). But even 4,404 seats is more of a competitor for the Fox, than a much smaller 2,000 seat venue.

Even neighboring building owner Tony Pieroni has mentioned that what has been going on at the United Artists is NOT demo related, and that Ilitch is spending a bundle on the work in progress.

I think that Ilitch is not yet finished buying up the west Foxtown land for a new arena. So an announcement for a nearby major building rehab doesn't help his cause at getting that land at the best possible price.

Ditto for any plans for the GAR, Moose and Chin Tiki Buildings that he now owns. Mentioning redevelopment plans only ups the price for the parcels he has yet to purchase.

(Message edited by Gistok on August 06, 2007)

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1523
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Within that Detroit News article, they mention the United Artist site being offered along with the Statler site to Quicken if they choose that site.

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 848
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A clarification. I'm told that Beal did file a report with the city regarding what's going on at the S-H. It was filed in early July but not timely disclosed by the City pursuant to a FOIA request. It was disclosed today, several weeks late, although the document was in the City's possession at the time of the initial FOIA request, which itself was issued very late. Beal says they are merely cleaning out the building and checking the exterior to determine its structural condition. They did not declare that they are renovating the building or allege any specific future use of the building, if any. On that basis (surprise, surprise) the city determined that no permits are necessary. Olympia still has not acquired a Certificate of Compliance as required by the city back in February.

Billk
Username: Billk

Post Number: 87
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It looks like Beal Const. is finishing up their work on tha UA. A crew in hard hats was out today sweeping the sidewalk in front of the building.

Detroitoriginal
Username: Detroitoriginal

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We have been watching the work for the last few weeks from our offices. We assumed it was demo work until they put up outside lights and did extensive roof repair. This is a surprise since I had thought Ilitch was wanting to tear it down for years.

It would be nice if they opened up the sidewalk at one point, it is dangerous for pedestrians.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1742
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 7:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is a newsreel of the UA in much happier times. The theatre appears toward the end, a brief shot in the lobby. Note the Chrysler Parade Phaeton show car that Otto Premenger is riding in. The first hotel ballroom luncheon scene may be the Leland house, the second may be the Book-Cadillac, any thoughts, panel?

http://www.archive.org/details /Anatomyo1959

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 1151
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 8:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It looks like the Statler ballroom is the setting for that luncheon.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 798
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 9:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That was excellent, thanks for sharing it. Its nice to see the marque lit up again.

Southen
Username: Southen

Post Number: 278
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Really cool. I loved the footage of Grand Circus with the entire western end built up with both the Statler and Tuller enclosing it.

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 309
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 9:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Packman, thanks so much for digging up that footage and sharing it here. Nice.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1681
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I miss Detroit!

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2884
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of the big things about the UA is that it's auditorium acoustics are excellent. In the past, before Orchestra Hall was restored, the DSO recorded some albums on the UA stage.