Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Viewing the Fireworks « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3056
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 12:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's that time again, the Target Fireworks are less than a week away.

I've never actually viewed the show from downtown, and I'm wondering about the various places in and near downtown that you all think are good places to view them, and the time at which I should probably show up in order to get a spot.

I'm hoping to get a lot of good possibilities.

It seems that with the riverwalk open, there are a lot of great places along the waterfront opened up to the public, but space will still be really limited...

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 1032
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 12:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

tip: if travelling by automobile, bring a bicycle, and get to within a reasonable proximity of hart plaza (e.g., eastern market). cycle in and cycle out.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 5480
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 12:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My favorite vantage point has always been from Windsor. Detroit and its skyline is great, but toss in the fireworks and it's even that much better.

I've also heard of people renting out rooms at some of the Windsor waterfront hotels (they charge a premium from what I'm told) for a more private viewing of the fireworks as well.

But like with many good things, it's best to get there early.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3057
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 12:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone remember where and when Woodward and Jefferson normally get closed off?

Parking up by Eastern Market is a good idea.

...there's also a home Tiger game that night.

Yupislyr
Username: Yupislyr

Post Number: 219
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 12:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Tigers game is actually at 1:05

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3058
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 12:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah, you're right. Changed it due to the fireworks, I assume. I'm sure some people resented the traffic, but you did get a view of the fireworks from parts of CoPa.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 519
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 8:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it was changed last year as well..... Last year I stood against the rail of the riverfront in front of the GM promenade....great view, I'll be headed over there again

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3060
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 9:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spirit, what time did you get there?

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1455
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always like going to Windsor for this one...

the new Detroit riverfront is great but it's just more laid back in Windsor, there's more grassy places to put a blanket down and chill, and remember that it was just a few years ago when 8 people got shot down at Hart Plaza...

Downtown_remix
Username: Downtown_remix

Post Number: 372
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think im gonna just hang out on the top floor of Trolley Plaza Apts. Management is throwing a party for the residents. as a kid, my mom would take us to a small park near rivard and jefferson.

Civilprotectionunit4346
Username: Civilprotectionunit4346

Post Number: 37
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Im currently looking for spots to go watch and view the works.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1016
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The southern edge of Belle Isle would be my ideal spot, but you basically have to camp out overnight to get there. The park in s/w Detroit on the river is a really good spot too... I forgot the name of it but it is at the foot of W. Grand Blvd.

I don't like watching it from Hart Plaza because 1) being that close to the exploding fireworks is deafening, 2) too many people. It will probably be a lot different now that all the people who try to squeeze into Hart Plaza can expand out on to the RiverWalk.

Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 520
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mackinaw-
I went to the tigers game at one, when that ended we headed down towards Hart Plaza and it started to rain, so caught a movie in the RenCen.... After that, from about 7-10 we just sat in the grass area along the completed riverwalk and when the fireworks started veryone made their way to the fence.....Im sure this you will be much busier there though with the Riverdays going on right up to the show

Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 521
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Regarding Windsor.... How early should I cross over if thats the plan?

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 999
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"......and remember that it was just a few years ago when 8 people got shot down at Hart Plaza..."

you really are an A-hole.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 1019
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^LOL.

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 849
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I forgot the name of it but it is at the foot of W. Grand Blvd.

Riverside Park and Marina?

Iheartthed

Post Number: 1020
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^That seems to be it from the map. I thought it had a different name.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3061
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At this point I'm planning on getting to the Riverwalk at about 6pm.

Windsor clearly affords the best vista looking back at our skyline, but I'm not really up for Canada or crossing the border.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 9490
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With regards ot teh viewing in Windsor you can get a spot around 2:00PM with great views anywhere along the river. I am having a gathering and all we have to do is walk east 1 block and we have the most spectacular view (with drinks in hand).

Civilprotectionunit4346

Post Number: 46
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ive found my spot....cool! Need to get my chair's and cooler's together.

Thejesus

Post Number: 1458
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"you really are an A-hole."

how am I an asshole? you don't think safety is a legitimate concern? you probably won't live a very long life then...sorry

we were going to watch the fireworks from Hart Plaza that year, and at the last minute, we decided to go to Windsor instead...could have easily been me or my girlfriend hit by one of those stray bullets had we not changed our plans...

you think I shouldn't pay attention to this because it might offend some people? f*ck off

Bigjeff
Username: Bigjeff

Post Number: 82
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

<<< Was about ten feet away from shooting in Hart Plaza that year. Mom called me to make sure I was alright. Still has not scared me away from downtown, and I don't think it ever will. Although sad that a couple of bad apples soured that event. I know I have no control over it. Plus, many events I have encountered in and around Detroit that tells me to keep my head up high for this city. Detroit certainly has a good vibe going right now.

This coming from a <gasp> "suburbanite" who is DAMN proud to spend my hard-earned money in my beloved city!!!!!

Thejesus

Post Number: 1460
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^ wow that would be scary...

the shooting didn't so much scare me away from hart plaza as it just gave me another reason to go to Windsor for the fireworks, since I love their grassy riverfront anyway...

we still go down to hart plaza for all the events down there, like hoe down and blues festival..

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4647
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The_jesus, you better never ever go to New York City then, never know when an airplane might hit the hotel you're staying in!

See how silly that sounds?

Let's see 8 people out of 1 million got hit by stray bullets... and that was what 5 or 6 years ago? So now I would say your chances of getting shot at the fireworks are something like 1 in a million.

Geeze, you have better odds of getting shot by a road rage guy, or getting shot at a party store, or in a bank...

So you're a smart guy, and you know the odds... so yeah people are going to call you out for being overly paranoid.

(Message edited by Gistok on June 22, 2007)

Mackcreative
Username: Mackcreative

Post Number: 73
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We watch from Belle Isle every year, never camp out, just ride on our bikes. Last year was awful though, maybe the weather, but all we could see was the smoke from the fireworks in front.

Thejesus

Post Number: 1461
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"So you're a smart guy, and you know the odds"

exactly...I know the odds of violent crime occurring during the fireworks on the Windsor side are far fewer than on the Detroit side...and since I like Windsor riverfront better anyway, this is a no-brainer....but I appreciate your concern...

it's not about paranoia...all other things being equal, the Windsor side is safer in addition to being a more pleasant place to watch the fireworks imo...quit being so goddamn sensitive whenever someone brings up the very real crime issue that Detroit faces...you act like it's a taboo subject or some big secret that we don't want people to know about..

btw it was less than 3 years ago, not 6...

P.S. You should really try not to sound so smug all the time...just some friendly advice...

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 736
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of the shooting at HP did they ever catch the shooter? My memory is somewhat hazy on what happened, but didn't they initially arrest the wrong person?

Bigjeff
Username: Bigjeff

Post Number: 85
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think they ever charged anyone. They originally arrested and retained someone for a long time. Last I heard Geoffrey Fieger was hired to represent the person. Needless to say he was released without being charged. And a huge lawsuit was filed against the city for his detainment and being wrongfully charged. last i heard!

Thejesus

Post Number: 1463
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^ yeah the first guy they arrested is suing the city in federal court for $100 million alleging the city violated his 4th amendment rights and arrested him w/o probable cause because they wanted to arrest someone in order to quell the fears of the NFL officials who were in town that week prepping for the '06 Superbowl...

last I heard the city got part of the case dismissed but the case as whole is still proceeding

I don't recall ever hearing if they caught the real murderer...

(Message edited by thejesus on June 22, 2007)

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4648
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aw, but I like being smug.... (just kidding). Point taken. :-)

I understand your point, Windsor is a better spot. But when you added the shooting incident to your comments, you made yourself sound like one of those "I haven't been to Detroit in 30 years" folk.

And whenever someone on this forum sounds even remotely like that, there'll be people who are more than happy to call you out on it! So I'm not saying to tread on eggshells, just think a bit about what you're posting.

I've typed many messages on this forum, only to reread it, and then cancel my post. Some things just aren't worth getting your blood pressure up over! (Which is why I usually avoid posting in Non-Detroit Issues!)

Yupislyr
Username: Yupislyr

Post Number: 221
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spiritofdetroit, when you should head over to Windsor really depends on how badly you want the best spots available and how much you can tolerate waiting in traffic.

If it were me, since I hate traffic, I would cross over before the rush of Canadians coming home in the afternoon. So cross over by 3pm. At that time there's still plenty of green space left to stake out a viewing spot or you can occupy yourself somewhere else until closer to show time. Also keep in mind that the length of Riverside Drive and vehicle access to the downtown core of Windsor will be restricted, usually starting at 6pm

Also, the return trip just to get across the border could easily take 2 hours or more.

Harsensis
Username: Harsensis

Post Number: 311
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have never gone to Windsor since it usually takes so long to get out of the Downtown area. Every road out of downtown gets so clogged. The two times I did get out quick were when we parked in the structure next to Raymond James and the Miller lot by the Ren Cen. What I usually do is to drop off a car and then take the bus back down in the evening. When there use to be parking behind the Ren-Cen, I use to park there, that took a bit longer to get out, but it was nice having a van there to hang out in before the fireworks started.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2660
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like my spot slightly above the crowds.

Fireworks

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1159
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"to a small park near rivard and jefferson."

In the lots near Chene Park is an ok place to view them. You don't have to get there too much earlier than like 6 or 7pm. You basically park your car for like $10 and then just get out and tailgate and watch them once it gets dark. The works are launched from three barges along the river. The problem with being upriver or downriver is that you can't see the three displays seperately--they are all in line. But nonetheless, basically anywhere around downtown Detroit you can see them, but the best place is Hart Plaza.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3073
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ndavies: what a showoff.

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 182
Posted on Sunday, June 24, 2007 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What about the parking deck by the Windsor-detroit tunnel

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2661
Posted on Sunday, June 24, 2007 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The parade company takes it over. You can go for $175.

http://www.theparade.org/freed omfest/default.aspx?id=28

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 5516
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 12:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For those of you thinking about going over to Windsor, I would strongly suggest going to grab some decent Chinese food immediately after the Fireworks. Why not make a night of it? And for some reason, a lot of them seem to be open really late too. I think I saw that the Flying Tiger is open until 3:00 every night- and their food isn't too bad either.

Make a night of it in Windsor. Wait for the crowds to die down before coming back stateside.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 654
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 12:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The last couple of years I have set up my tent at the extreme tip of Belle Isle around 10am. I will not be doing it this year...The last two years have been a disappointment because the winds blew all the smoke in that direction.

I think I will camp out at tri-centennial this year.

Clark1mt
Username: Clark1mt

Post Number: 83
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 1:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Forecast for Wednesday night, from weather.gov, is a chance of thunderstorms. A cold front is forecast to sweep across the state around the time of the fireworks. Thus, winds out of the south or southwest.

Sitlet
Username: Sitlet

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what about viewing from cobo roof?

i really want to view from windsor, how is the traffic coming back in the US over the bridge after the show? i really dont feel like being stuck in that long line of cars waiting to cross the border.

oh, and can you bring coolers on the people mover? if we watch from the detroit side, i was planning on parking by comerica and taking the people mover to the ren cen. somehow i think i remember seeing something that you cant bring large items on it. or maybe im just going crazy....

(Message edited by sitlet on June 25, 2007)

Detroitstar

Post Number: 659
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is alcohol allowed in Tri-Centennial State Park?

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1197
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alcohol is basically allowed anywhere for the fireworks as long as you aren't in like the center of it all at Hart Plaza and you keep it low-key. You can tailgate over by Chene Park, no problem.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1198
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 6:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, meant to mention too, that there aren't a lot of bathrooms around these park areas, esp. considering all the million or so people that come out to see the works. Chene Park itself isn't open for example--big fence around it.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1793
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The fireworks in GPW last night were awesome. That will hold me over til next year.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1199
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of "viewing the fireworks," I was wondering if there was a web cast of them for those outside the Detroit area. I didn't see any link on the Parade Co's web page...

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 2422
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 7:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's the view like from the Dossin webcam?

Cmyk
Username: Cmyk

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll be honest, If I didn't live in a building with rooftop access then I probably wouldn't even look out my window let alone brave the traffic and mess for a few explosions of light. Maybe if I had children it would be different. However, because of the roof, it gives me an excuse to go into work with a headache on Thursday.

Detroitstar

Post Number: 661
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not gonna lie, part of the reason I chose to live in the Lafayette Park neighborhood was so that I could avoid traffic for events like ballgames, festivals and fireworks. This week is a prime example of this.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1201
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 8:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well I enjoyed going to the fireworks almost entirely for the fact that there was a lot of people and traffic in the city. Personally I think that it is always great to see ppl out and having a good time. Seems to me that if I had children I would be less likely to go.

Dustin89
Username: Dustin89

Post Number: 32
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Cobo Rooftop would be a fantastic place to view. I wonder what time they close the booth to enter it if there is no event @ Cobo?

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2372
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I was a kid we parked at Cobo a few times, then started going to Canada. Mom and we kids would pack the car (station wagon) with food, games, blankets, lawn chairs, pillows, and pajamas, then scoot over to find a great spot by 1 or 2 pm. After lunch we'd wander downtown, check out the carnival stuff and the stores. Eventually my dad would turn up, having taken a bus to Jefferson, then the tunnel bus to Windsor. We'd go back to the car for dinner and games until the show started. After the show was over we kids would change into pjs and crash in the car while my parents read the newspaper or people watched. After about an hour the traffic had thinned out enough so the trip home was mild. My dad never saw the purpose of rushing to leave just to sit in a traffic jam for that long.

One year I watched them from MGM's parking deck and another year from Motor City's parking deck (no one under 21 either place), but the hotel's taken over Motor City's view now.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3093
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 12:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The_rock, oh please.

Maybe if all those seperate little shows in GP put their firepower together for one big show on the lake we'd have something good. If I had to choose one it would be the Grosse Pointe Farms show this Saturday.

Let's hope the rain/storms are neither persistent nor dangerous on Wed. so we can go on with the show.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3094
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 8:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are the fireworks moved to Thursday if it rains tomorrow?

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 185
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes

Sitlet

Post Number: 11
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

does anyone know when they will announce if they are cancelled? i dont want to drive all the way there and fight traffic, only to be told at 10 oclock they are cancelled and have to waste a night and come back thursday

Billk
Username: Billk

Post Number: 25
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the riverwalk between Joe Louis and Rivard would be as good as anyplace to view the fireworks.

Crash67
Username: Crash67

Post Number: 13
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They will announce if they are a go on the fireworks at noon tomorrow.

Also, Historic Fort Wayne is open for fireworks viewers, per the City's Recreation Department.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3095
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Really, Crash? That would be great and help us all out on our planning. Looks like the chance of storms tomorrow is really high in the afternoon and nighttime.

Motorcitydave
Username: Motorcitydave

Post Number: 25
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Best advice for viewing the fireworks (without all of the traffic)... is to park by Comerica and the Fox (close to the e-way entrance you will need at the end), walk down to the middle of Jefferson & Woodward intersection around 9:45, watch the show, walk back to your car and you'll be on the e-way before 11.

Although, if you don't want to suck, then hit a restaurant or bar before, and one after, relax, and have a good time downtown.... stay a while. :-)

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3096
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The latter approach is much more fun. I don't have a problem parking as far away as Brush Park, Eastern Market, or Lafayette Park, though.

Auspower
Username: Auspower

Post Number: 20
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit Princess Riverboat, will be docked at Joe Louis with live entertainment, dancing, food and bars.

www.detroitprincess.com

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 371
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to Windsor last year and the year before to enjoy the fireworks. The ladyfriend who accompanied me last year has a lesbian daughter who was holding hands with her companion and nobody seemed to care. They lit up and toked down. Great crowd in Windsor. I had much more of a sense of freedom enjoying the fireworks in clean safe Windsor, hardly a cop in sight. Some hostile individuals with confederate flag tatoos and t-shirts(probably Americans who were ignorant of all the tolerance and diversity in our great neighbor to the North). I agitated my friends a little when I booed the American flag heh heh heh. Was a bitch coming back across, especially when we got to the American side.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2374
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Careful, Mackinaw, Fort Wayne got really bad review from those who went there for the fireworks last year. Pay to get in, the grass wasn't mowed, etc.

Terryh

Post Number: 372
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Try to park close to the bridge or tunnel if possible and leave a few minutes early to beat the rush if you travel to Windsor.

(Message edited by Terryh on June 26, 2007)

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3098
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm staying downtown, and will not be in a rush.

Warrenite84
Username: Warrenite84

Post Number: 125
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 2:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I parked on the Cobo Roof last year hoping to stay up there for the fireworks. Security swept thru and told everyone we couldn't stay up there during the display.

I ended up in Hart Plaza, which was ok, (some areas have obstructed views).

I admit I'm pretty jealous about the great pics you folks take with the silhouetted skyline. I am considering a similar view from one of the parking garage roofs further back.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1796
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 7:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I beg to differ with you mackinaw( I am glad you are mackinaw rather than mackinac--it's more distinctive.)
Many of us think that the GPW fireworks is really one great show. Sure the Farms fireworks over the lake is a beautiful site, but its not nearly as long, and the Woods "final thrust" is really a sight to see. The Woods has been putting it on for years, and has it down to a science as evidenced by the thousands who show up each year and not just those from the Pointes. They come from all the neighboring communities.
Fortunately, we have the opportunity of seeing both the Woods and the Farms displays this week.
Not that I don't miss the Detroit show from the roof of the Guardian Building.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3106
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 8:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That would be an amazing vantage point.

Civilprotectionunit4346

Post Number: 103
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ive gotten with some of my friends about where we are going to meet for the works'. Some of the spots you mentioned are very good. I just have a diffrent spot then everyone... can't give it away.

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 1188
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 9:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Many of us think that the GPW fireworks is really one great show. Sure the Farms fireworks over the lake is a beautiful site, but its not nearly as long, and the Woods "final thrust" is really a sight to see. The Woods has been putting it on for years, and has it down to a science as evidenced by the thousands who show up each year and not just those from the Pointes. They come from all the neighboring communities.

It is a great show. I do wish that they would push the date back closer to the 4th as opposed to what they did this year, which was the 24th.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3107
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well some nasty thunderstorms with impressive rain and lots of lightning are coming through A2 and headed to Detroit, with more behind this. Any official word? I think it would be totally foolhardy to go forward with the preparations. Tons of people wouldn't go downtown them, and those who do go will get drenched and be outside in dangerous weather.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3109
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll /article?AID=/20070627/NEWS01/ 706270338

...assuming the D is getting the bad weather right about now...

Civilprotectionunit4346

Post Number: 123
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is there still any word about the works? Are they canceled? Im in Troy right now and it looks real bad outside

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3110
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We've lost power in my A2 neighborhood. I'm sending this from a university building that has power.

That Free Press Story said they'd make a decision between 2-4PM. There are more storms developing behind the current area of storms, though.

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 1305
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As of 3:07 p.m., WWJ is reporting that the fireworks are still on as scheduled.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1451
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the show is on!!!!!!

Spidergirl
Username: Spidergirl

Post Number: 282
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Free Press says Fireworks are still on...

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3113
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seems a tad insane. It might not actually be raining at 10:06, but I can guarantee that the gathering crowd will be rained on at least a couple times during the evening. ...well I better get ready to go.

Bumble
Username: Bumble

Post Number: 193
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You might want to bring an umbrella.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1209
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

btw, live web cast: http://www.clickondetroit.com/ video/10671302/index.html

Jimaz

Post Number: 2463
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That severely lacked bass. Nice link though.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1214
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah, sometimes it is the best that you can do...

Jimaz

Post Number: 2464
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Paul. That link was sincerely appreciated. It was a joy.

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 53
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 11:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that was the worst grand finale I have ever seen

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3114
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 2:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well that worked out well. Guess I always expect the worst...but all we got was a bit of a rain shower while south of Windsor got a thunderstorm.

The show was great, as seen from the Riverwalk near St. Antoine. The crowd ended up being pretty thick.

Kid_dynamite...I though the finale was a bit brief myself.

Wow...what a police presence around downtown, even a couple hours after the show. They were on every corner of Woodward and other streets just standing, all over the riverwalk, on buses, and even on segways and horses.

Paulc
Username: Paulc

Post Number: 135
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Things certainly did work out for the best. My gal and I found (free) parking easily on W. Lafayette near the corner of Michigan, walked a few blocks during a brief shower... killed some time at the Buzz Bar for some great pizza... ended up watching the works from the gates near the GM Wintergarden - looks like the GM brass reserved the Riverwalk itself... great night, great weather - a true world-class Detroit tradition.

Mackinaw - Good call on the police presence... we noticed this as well.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1714
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

from the top of the murray body company we could not only see the detroit fireworks, but some off on the east and northwest side suburbs....and no traffic!

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 4337
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a nice view of te fireworks from the top deck of the Motor City Casino parking structure...

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3116
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paulc, how amazing is that Buzz Bar pizza?

Southen
Username: Southen

Post Number: 211
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit_stylin:
Have any shots from up there? Was it an event of some kind or did you just have rooftop access as long as you parked there? I thought my perch was pretty good but next year Id like to grab a new angle.

Paulc
Username: Paulc

Post Number: 136
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mackinaw - Very very good indeed. We originally went for the BBQ chicken, but no BBQ sauce - settled on the Hawaiian... waited nearly 2 hours... I guess they were strapped resource-wise, as they also had staff at the Riverfest... but worth it. Got some free drinks out of the ordeal. Cool place indeed.

Andyguard73
Username: Andyguard73

Post Number: 239
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paul C, GM didn't have the riverwalk blocked off, just the parking lot they own. There were several access points for the public to get to the riverfront, where the crowds were great and the show was amazing!

Sitlet

Post Number: 13
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i was disappointed that you couldnt bring food or coolers into the riverfront. i had a cooler filled with chips, sandwiches, and pop. i parked a few blocks away, carried the heavy cooler all the way to the river front, and saw the sign that no outside food or beverages were allowed. so i walked all the way back to the car, and drove to find a spot near chene park and watched from there. i thought you were allowed to bring coolers in, just not alcohol?

Terryh

Post Number: 376
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Im checking out the Buzz bar tonight. Dont drink alcohol but love that pizza. There was a great percussion combo there the last time I hung out on a Friday.

Terryh

Post Number: 378
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Didnt make it this year but the last two years I went to Windsor seen lots of coolers chairs etc. No problems there.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3118
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paulc, two hours is pushing but yeah that pizza is great. Tons of taste, very little grease. You should try their Detroit style pizza.

I wish Bricktown would get built up a bit more so that there are more restaurants/bars near places like Buzz, and more housing, so that I can someday live near all those great eateries.