Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Favorite summer Memories of Detroit « Previous Next »
Archive through June 08, 2007Headskeleton54 06-08-07  3:25 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 556
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Summer produce ...and summer fun, the memories are ingrained in our collective memories...must be an bond that has been shared across the generations...ever wonder who made up the rules of those games and how they were passed on...I don't remember going to a "game academy" to learn..

Remember when slurppies were introduced prior to 7/11...a icecream place on whitter introduced them to us and for .25 you could get a massive brain freeze...I think mine finally thawed within the last decade...

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 37
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastside61: You got me wrong! The way I heard it the Emlings were the dudes on the street. My girlfriend and I were there just to watch the boats and stars! Yeah, I do recall her name but probably not a good idea to post it here...but...she wasn't Denby. Sure hope we can come up with the prom date name.

Durango
Username: Durango

Post Number: 28
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Summer League Basketball at St. Sicilia Gym in the mid-eighties. The sounds and sights of the Detroit Grand Prix downtown in the eighties. My first baseball game with my Dad at Tiger Stadium in 1978 versus the Blue Jays. Milt Wilcox pitched the victory for the Tigers.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 571
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 12:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The clinky rattle of the expanding screen window fan in my room at night.

Crunch of millions of unfortunate fish flies under the tires of cars.

The smell of millions of dead fish flies. (not really a smell I miss)

I miss fish flies where I live now. When I visit mom in SCS I like to grab them by the wings and put them on my arms just like the old days. She hates them cause they stick to the house screens.

Grandma's house on Eastburn. KFC or Milroy's Fish dinner on a folding table on the driveway, right next to the neighbor's house. Playing on stilts that grandpa made, riding the pedal car and tractor (heavy, poured steel thing). Eating grandma's raspberries by the thousands.

Burghardt's (spelling) rye with chives pressed in butter.

The lovely, clean feeling just after a bath at the end of a long, sweaty day of playing. Mom combing out my hair. (I digress)

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1777
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 6:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

First a Vernors at the foot of Woodward, and then a lovely boat ride on the old PUT IN BAY down to Put In Bay, Ohio for a full day of fun and amusements.
The boat traffic on the River was awesome.
back then. Freighters by the dozens, maybe a D and C passenger vessel, the Boblo boats, tug boats and barges, yachts and run-abouts. Steam whistles were constantly saluting each other.
What a wonderful way to spend a summer day.

Larryinflorida
Username: Larryinflorida

Post Number: 615
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You could hear those hydroplanes clear to 8 mile.

Gibran

Post Number: 566
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathy you must have traveled far for those dinners at Milroys...guess best things in life are worth traveling for...

Playing baseball in the streets and at Rossiter Park....

sleeping near an open window....

Oladub
Username: Oladub

Post Number: 42
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 12:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Before air conditioners and until I was seven, we lived in an upstairs flat. On hot nights, blankets were hung on the rails of an upstairs porch for privacy. We would sleep under the stars with a cool night breeze.

Karenk
Username: Karenk

Post Number: 44
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the 50's it was going to Lipke's(sp) pool. I can still remember how hot the concrete got!

Goblue

Post Number: 65
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 12:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Going to a game at Briggs Stadium...endless curb ball games...baseball games on an empty lot until it got too dark to see the ball or our parents started to call names for us to come home...drift fishing down the river from 8 Mile to Belle Isle at night while avoiding the freighters.

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 66
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 12:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - You left out your adventures at the foot of Alter and Lakewood........!!!! You older guys were always the guiding light (cough) for us youngsters....Thanks for you guidance!!!

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1420
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 1:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Justin verlander's nono at Comerica Park

Margaret
Username: Margaret

Post Number: 10
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow, Alter and Lakewood! I lived on Lakewood between Jefferson and Kercheval, we'd ride our bikes down to Lakewood Park, mostly that was in the 60s. this thread is great! such images, and memories. Good Humor trucks! hey I was a Good Humor Girl during the summer of 1970, was sent clear out to Roseville. remember the bells of those trucks? I had my own rhythm to my bells, and the kids loved it. we could hear the hydroplane races clearly from our house. I used to love sitting on the front porch on our swing glider and watching the ominous thunder storms roll in. also would watch the street flood, and various people would have to wade out in that yukky flood water and clear the storm drain things in the street. what was that place on the river, where you could watch the hydroplane races and actually get sprayed in the roostertails? remember the Roostertail Club? I loved the Fourth of July fireworks on the river at the foot of Woodward. and we too would play hide and seek all over the long block, till the street lights came on. wow, memory lane, I'm loving it. anyone remember the teen show "Swingin Time" that was on CKLW TV in Windsor? I used to dance on there...woohooo what I wouldn't give for some footage, the Boogaloo, the Pearl, the Jerk, Shake a Tail Feather...

Detroitrulez
Username: Detroitrulez

Post Number: 286
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

people killing each other over chicken legs. Those are good memories. That, and the stench of rancid garbage which never gets picked up.

Margaret

Post Number: 11
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow, Alter and Lakewood! I lived on Lakewood between Jefferson and Kercheval, we'd ride our bikes down to Lakewood Park, mostly that was in the 60s. this thread is great! such images, and memories. Good Humor trucks! hey I was a Good Humor Girl during the summer of 1970, was sent clear out to Roseville. remember the bells of those trucks? I had my own rhythm to my bells, and the kids loved it. we could hear the hydroplane races clearly from our house. I used to love sitting on the front porch on our swing glider and watching the ominous thunder storms roll in. also would watch the street flood, and various people would have to wade out in that yukky flood water and clear the storm drain things in the street. what was that place on the river, where you could watch the hydroplane races and actually get sprayed in the roostertails? remember the Roostertail Club? I loved the Fourth of July fireworks on the river at the foot of Woodward. and we too would play hide and seek all over the long block, till the street lights came on. wow, memory lane, I'm loving it. anyone remember the teen show "Swingin Time" that was on CKLW TV in Windsor? I used to dance on there...woohooo what I wouldn't give for some footage, the Boogaloo, the Pearl, the Jerk, Shake a Tail Feather...

Margaret

Post Number: 12
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the smells of suntan lotion at Metropolitan Beach
hey GB: I wonder why the heck the BobLo boat was near Altar
Rd? never saw them head that way myself, didn't they always head the other way from downtown?
the freighter horns were amazing, at my house those really low ones made the windows rattle.

Goblue

Post Number: 69
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Margaret: I think that at least sometimes on moonlight cruises the boats would come up river to turn around at the lake...I dunno why...I guess just to extend the cruise and come into the docks headed down river. It never occurred to my girlfriend and me that the sucker would turn a spotlight on...oh well, it could have been worse! That was in the late '50's. My ex lived on Newport between Kercheval & Mack. We literally grew up together in Messiah Lutheran at Lakewood & Kercheval even though I lived near Chalmers & 7 Mile. She's a SE alumni...I'm Denby. My grandparents lived on Lakeview between Kercheval & Mack. On quiet nights we could hear the big boats at our house from the lake.

Eastside61

Post Number: 69
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 9:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of the coolest summertime memories was in 1968 - Getting tickets for the Supreme's first time at the Roostertail....what a night!!!

Eastside61

Post Number: 79
Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - Seems like GB spent a lot of time on the eastside below Jefferson - Like a lot of summer memories at the foot of Lakewood probably could fill his third book about Detroit....

Karen8824
Username: Karen8824

Post Number: 17
Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember hot summer nights.. leaving windows and doors open to get some air. No one had air conditioners and as a kid, I don't remember any crime at all in the area. I do remember some summers it rained so bad our basement flooded, which I thought was cool (indoor swimming pool)

Goblue

Post Number: 80
Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES61: It must have been the cool breezes wafting in off of the river that drew us...no book though...too many are still alive...plus, who would want to read about their grandmas!?!

Karen: On the serious side...there indeed was crime...about 1955 a little girl disappeared from our neighborhood...they found her body a month or two later in a dump near Pontiac. As far as I know they never caught anyone although I remember a composite drawing of a suspect in the paper. My dad was a retired cop at that point and thought he knew who it might be...but nothing ever came of it.

The basement of the first house I owned...on Lochmoor in Harper Wds...flooded...it was pretty disgusting seeing t-paper floating around in the basement...the place had to be sanitized.

Tponetom
Username: Tponetom

Post Number: 7
Posted on Sunday, June 24, 2007 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Re: Summer Memories of Detroit. gibran, ES61 and goblue touched a few nerves in my reverie
of memories. I must be the only dinosaur in this repartee so I will just jump in and begin.
Re: Gibran, 06-04. Neighborhoods! How many people know what a neighborhood was, and
should be, today. It is a thousand or a million front porches, littered with people. Old people,
middle-aged people, teen agers and pesky little children.
That congregation is supplemented by a like number of peripatetics parading up and down the
streets in a never ending revolvement of humanity. The banter was constant. Always neighborly.

Goblue

Post Number: 95
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

T-tom: You are absolutely correct...it was the neighborhood that made the city what it was...in the summer everyone was on the front porch...politics were discussed and argued but not in a mean way...the Tigers were always at the top of discussions...when designers moved porches/patios moved to the back of houses it was the death of neighborhoods and ultimately cities. As a kid I knew who my neighbors were for a block in any direction...later, I barely knew my neighbors two doors away and never conversed with them.

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 113
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The summer of the 67 riots.

Gibran

Post Number: 655
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As summer winds on ....the fireworks and the rains of summer has not changed...and Tpone. the neighborhoods and the sights an sounds were magnified in the summer...the distant freighters remain a constant, the sound of music although not the Motown of old blasts from radios and children still play in the playgrounds...old guys ..still hope that this year the tigers get a second shot at the series. Young people still get excited over the sound of the ice cream man/women...and Belle Isle seems to re-invent itself...and children will make their own memories about this summer...different than ours, but memories just the same.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5389
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 12:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We played a lot of steps baseball on Northlawn and Schoolcraft. Everybody had about 5 steps and you threw the ball hard on the steps and let it fly to see who could catch it. A good rubber ball or a tennis ball did fine.

We had an attic fan which pulled air in through open windows. jjaba's bed was next to a window so a cool breeze floated overhead. It was really comfortable on a hot-ass night. Parents often slept on the back porch on hot nights. We lived upstairs in a 5-room flat.

We charged downtstairs tenants $52.50 a month. The mortgage was $55. Parents had to spring for $2.50 /mo. to live there. Ofcourse, we provided heat and water. We cut the grass and tended the flowers.

Parks and Rec. had summer softball leagues at Intervale Park. We had a team. jjaba was a good catcher. With asthma, he couldn't run very far.
We would ride bikes to the next neighborhood for morning games. For some reason, the Rec. counselors were always Jewish college kids.

Unlike The Rock and you Eastsiders, we didn't know about the Detroit River, except for a special treat to Belle Isle for Leonard B. Smith and the Detroit Concert Band.

jjaba, Westside Bar Mitzvah Bukkor.

Karl_jr
Username: Karl_jr

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 1:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba: "We had an attic fan which pulled air in through open windows. jjaba's bed was next to a window so a cool breeze floated overhead. It was really comfortable on a hot-ass night."
That's the way we did it in the 60's,almost forgot! What I remember most and miss - the front porch swings.

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 462
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 2:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The High Anxiety and Giant rides at the Edgewater Amusement Park on 7 Mile. I found some old unused tickets from the summer of 1978.

Margaret

Post Number: 29
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 7:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba, we had one of those huge attic fans, too! I think they're called "whole house fans." ours sounded like it was going to take off into the sky! we loved that thing, cooled the house down soooo quickly. say, does Detroit still have the Good Humor ice cream trucks? I worked on one in the summer of '70. was a pretty good summer job...are people in Detroit talking a lot about how the '67 riot was 40 years ago this summer?

watching the cruisers on the river, wishing I could "hitchhike" a ride on one of them...Point Peelee, Metropolitan Beach with Dad, root beer at Big Boy's...

Eastside61

Post Number: 160
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 1:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We used to go over to Fordham and Celestine and hang out with a group of guys who wore khaki's and caddied at Lochmore and other local golf courses....

Humanmachinery
Username: Humanmachinery

Post Number: 30
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 2:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the best memories I had were of going down to Campus Martius or the riverfront as a kid, watching a ball game at Tiger Stadium, and eating dinner at Nikki's of Greek Town or maybe Union Street Station.

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 565
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 2:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Point Peelee (PP) was a favorite place for my father to take the family in the late 60's. Dad would pick up a bucket of KFC, pack us in the station wagon, and away we would go for a day at PP.

One memory of PP is that it was always rather desolate when we were there. I cannot recall ever seeing other people out there. It almost seemed like our own private place. And the spiders around the picnic tables were HUGE to an 8 year old like me.

On my next visit to Michigan I should take my kids out there. I wonder what it is like now?

Dave70
Username: Dave70

Post Number: 9
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 8:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some memories in no particular order...

Belle Isle: the zoo and playscape, big slide, aquarium, greenhouse, nature center and trails, and the beach too.

The Detroit Zoo

I remember the ice cream trucks... and also recall the farmers selling friuts & vegetables, announcing their produce on a loudspeaker while driving down the block.

Walking to Gratiot & 7 mile with my mom,I always remember passing the place that sold lawn and garden statues. The fat buddahs etc. Eating at the coney island at 7 & Hayes too.

Heilmann park: the DAAC, tennis lessons from a young police officer, the arts & crafts upstairs.

VBS at Charity Lutheran Church.

Fireworks at the Denby field. When I got to be about 10 or so I use to go over the next morning and look for the duds to experiment with.

Walking to Balduck park from Carleton Elementary at the end of the year, we'd take Casino to Harper and I forget the actual path from there... seemed so hot. Kids had water baloons and would use 'em as canteens on the way back. ;)

The huge trees that lined our neighbohood streets providing shade as we walked up to Moross.

Walking to Eastland with my mom, passing LHE, Regina, and Notre Dame... if we saw the kids attending they seemed so grown up to me.

The Tastee Freeze at Kelly & Moross. Mmm

Of course all the bike riding through the alleys, playing hide and seek with a bunch of kids until the street lights came on and the moms coming out calling them home.

Flying kites at the lady across the streets yard which was a bigger lot that was not fenced in, also at Denby field.

Looking for returnables at the car wash to get money for candy.

Hearing the next door neighbor's band play "Suicide is Painless" from M*A*S*H in their backyard.

Crabapple fights, there was a tree in the alley by the bank close by. Hehe

Lots of play in that bank parking lot too, bikes, bigwheels, pulling kids on skateboards with your bike...

ahh the memories. ;)

Gibran

Post Number: 929
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that is really east-side summers....riding bikes to Metro to watch planes, fishing at the foot of alter, playing baseball at Rositer and trying to impress the young ladies who lived across the street, keeping off the grass on the older guys yards, eating peaches, plums, and fresh fruit & vegs.from the corner fruit stand, sparklers on the Fourth, rain fall and the rivers in the streets, book mobiles and Denby, or Heilman's pool, tennis lessons...what would this be worth to today's youth...

Michmeister
Username: Michmeister

Post Number: 229
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They would just look for the AC adapter jack :-( on

Elimarr
Username: Elimarr

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 1:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As a kid, my neighborhood was one of the ones that would have a "street shower" on the really hot days. The Parks & Rec. Dept. would open up the hydrant on the corner and had a special nozzle that attached right onto the hydrant to make a big roostertail of spray. I liked the end when the nozzle was taken off and the water just poured out of the hydrant...The water flowed over your feet so fast, it looked like you were moving (like on water skis.) I think the idea was to go home and get a bathing suit on, but the kids on my block would always just get soaked in their street clothes. Kids know what's FUN!