Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Tax Relief « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 756
Posted From: 64.139.64.80
Posted on Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone know the current status of the property tax relief thingamabob for Detroit? It would make my day to know it's coming soooooonnn... pleeeaaaaseeeee.

Gildas
Username: Gildas

Post Number: 700
Posted From: 147.240.236.9
Posted on Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 10:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it is going into effect in 2007 and then only if you qualify.

Someone else probably knows more about this then me and can fill in details.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 749
Posted From: 68.42.176.123
Posted on Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the garbage fee system Kwame proposed would cut three mills off your taxes. Not an incredible amount, but every little bit helps. Anyone know when the income tax is set to go down again?

Quinn

Post Number: 757
Posted on Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's some historic district tax cut for certain areas of Detroit. Last I heard, city council wanted it expanded. That was a few months ago.

Just wondering where that stands.

Ilovedetroit
Username: Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 2337
Posted From: 63.149.5.130
Posted on Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard something about Hansen Clarke following things up and stopping the tax cuts? I know he was involved in it last fall but is this something new? A friend of mine saw the story in the Detroit Paper and the person who wrote it said it "dirty politics"...does anyone know anything about this?

Quinn

Post Number: 758
Posted on Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm just posting again to bring to the top of the forum. I'm seriously interested in what the current status is and I know someone on this forum knows alot more than me!

Thanks!! ;)

Quinn

Post Number: 759
Posted on Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wah....doesn't anyone know the answer to this? Come on smarty pants...someone out there knows.

Jams...aren't you working in the city? Don't you know this stuff?

Trainman
Username: Trainman

Post Number: 58
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Former Mayor Archer signed a deal with the federal government that Detroit will get funds as if over one million in population if the city income tax was reduced by one half percent in 2007. This applies to all.

There are presently efforts to raise other taxes to make up for this loss but they must be voted in. The DARTA supporters are among these people. It makes no difference if this happens or not because the reduction still applies.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 1915
Posted From: 129.9.163.233
Posted on Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Trainman, this has absolutely nothing to do with transit, Federal taxes or your fucked up agenda.

Quinn's question is about the Neighborhood enterpise zones. The state legistature passed the legislation to expand the use of neighborhood enterprise zones last fall. It is now supposedly in the cities court. There was discussion of this before the election last year. That was the last we heard about it.

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 1515
Posted From: 66.238.170.51
Posted on Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Someone I know talked to Ken Cockrel at a meeting about the NEZ for existing neighborhoods a few months ago. He said that they were waiting for the budget to come from KK with this proposal listed in it. K Cockrel said that he was probably in favor of it but needed to study it a little more before making any firm conclusions.

I've checked the city's website with the budget and was not able to find anything about the NEZs. I'm scared that this isn't going to happen.

Motorcitymayor2026
Username: Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 938
Posted From: 75.10.0.52
Posted on Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, is it true that the city income tax will be lowered in 2007, and that Fed funding will be kicked up to 1 million+ residents status??

Magnasco
Username: Magnasco

Post Number: 119
Posted From: 71.159.22.4
Posted on Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

on the "ammended NEZ" issue, the mayor will list the neighborhoods that will qualify later this year, to go into effect in calendar year 2007. twenty something for the first batch, then another twenty something will follow. it is to help the folks who are staying in the established neighborhoods. It will not be the full rate reduction that the regular NEZ is, but will be more like 25% or something like that.

that's about all I know.

Coming soon to a neighborhood near you!

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 1917
Posted From: 129.9.163.106
Posted on Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The city income tax is supposed to resume it's downward migration in 2007.

There is no change to the proportion of the Fed money Detroit recieves from the Community Development Block Grant program. The CDBG money the state receives off the Feds is tied to statewide poverty levels. It is redistributed to cities from the state. The percentage of the money Detroit receives won't change unless the cities population drops below 750,000. The population threshold was changed from 1 Million down to 750,000 while Archer was in office.

Motorcitymayor2026
Username: Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 940
Posted From: 75.10.0.52
Posted on Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks NDavies,
One more question.... Will Archer's agreement still be in place if Detroit drops below 750,000 (meaning Detroit would recieve the extra funding as if the city maintained 750,000 residents)??

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 758
Posted From: 68.42.176.123
Posted on Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kwame listed eliminating the income tax as one of his main goals in the Next Detroit. Lowering and elminating the income tax is a big issue with the corporations based in the city. Since so many big wigs in those corporate towers gave so much money to Kwame's reelection, I think there's a pretty good chance the income tax will go down next year.

I say good riddance. The income tax really isn't such a financial drag on the pocketbook as it is a psychological one. It hard to sell someone on paying an income tax to live in a city when a vast majority of the places around it don't have one. It's just easier to sell the city to businesses and residents without the income tax.

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 1524
Posted From: 66.238.170.40
Posted on Thursday, June 15, 2006 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not to mention that folks who don't live in the city but work in the city have to pay an income tax as well and that's a pretty big deterent to businesses, like Quicken/Rock, moving downtown. Getting rid of the income tax would be one of the smartest pro-business moves the city could make.

The other smart move would be giving and update or some clarity on the NEZ for historic/existing neighborhoods. My family will be making a move in the near future due to the need for a bigger house and property taxes will be a significant factor on where we move.

Eastsidedog
Username: Eastsidedog

Post Number: 540
Posted From: 69.220.142.7
Posted on Thursday, June 15, 2006 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Even bringing the income tax down to 1%/.5% would be a huge success. Pontiac, Hamtramck, and Highland Park all have 1%/.5% income taxes. Of course eliminating it and replacing it with property tax revenue would be the best outcome.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.