Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Where have all the flowers gone.... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2296
Posted From: 4.229.105.37
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, am I the only one who notices that there are very few flowers out and about in the neighborhoods, not only of Detroit, but all of SE Michigan. I was driving thru the Grosse Pointes today, and there too are very few flowers planted in peoples front yards.

Looks like the Michigan economy has hit landscaping pretty hard. And with the price of water.... not just the price from Detroit, but the price increases that suburbs tack onto their own residents bills.... is it any wonder?

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1240
Posted From: 63.41.40.89
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've got too many.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 1734
Posted From: 69.221.78.70
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 11:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting, Gistok. I thought the spring, with all of its rain, was pretty flowery around Detroit and vicinity. Perhaps people haven't bought as many annuals for the summer, but Flower Day did seem pretty popular at Eastern Market. Rest assured though, the landscaping/gardening sector in GP is brisk, I can't tell you how many new lawns, gardens, and patios I've seen put in around the neighborhood.

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 17
Posted From: 66.72.149.80
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 11:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was in Troy today and noticed the same thing. The medians on Big Beaver used to be planted with flowers. Now it's only mulch with a few exceptions. I was thinking maybe it was a budget thing.

Lexdetroitman_07
Username: Lexdetroitman_07

Post Number: 77
Posted From: 74.131.204.36
Posted on Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 12:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's the same down here in Lexington. The prices of water and taxes is becoming outrageously high. Hopefully things can turn around, because there is no better view of spring/summer than to see flowers in the landscape.

Lexdetroitman_07

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.