Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Rumor: Wings Trading Datsuk for Roberto Luongo « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Oustevie
Username: Oustevie

Post Number: 10
Posted From: 141.210.41.108
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of the NHL's leading sources will make an announcement on WXOU Radio today about one of the biggest rumors circulating in the NHL right now -- that the Red Wings are ready to trade Datsyuk for Roberto Luongo.

Ekland will be on around 2:30 EST. Listen live at www.wxou.org and click the listen live link.

You can contact us on AOL IM: screenname:wxoudj

(Message edited by oustevie on June 13, 2006)

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 8554
Posted From: 70.53.98.182
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good trade. Datsyuk (sp?) hasn't scored inteh playoffs in a couple of years.
If a player can't step it up in the playoffs then that person is worthless.

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 419
Posted From: 198.103.184.76
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This rumour sounds reasonable. Luongo has asked Florida for a one year deal. A one year deal would make him an unrestricted free agent next summer. If Luongo will not sign a long term deal with Flordia this summer, the Panthers would be stupid not to trade him. If Luongo will sign a longterm deal with Detroit then the Red Wings should grab him.

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 420
Posted From: 198.103.184.76
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With respect to Luongo's contract demands:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/ne ws_story/?ID=168233&hubname=nh l-panthers

Blessyouboys
Username: Blessyouboys

Post Number: 451
Posted From: 69.209.161.86
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This would be f****ing awesome

I think Luongo's made it known publicly he wants to play for a determined winning organization, which Florida is not; we have that in our favor. But i've also heard he would like to play for his hometown Frenchies in Montreal--we'll see.

I gave up on Datsyuk in these playoffs. While probably slowed from a mild injury, it just magnified the problem he is often accused of: forgetting his heart when he steps on the ice.

Czar
Username: Czar

Post Number: 3114
Posted From: 129.137.196.66
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If this rumor is true, it seems the Wings are repeating their pattern of keeping the old machine creaking for one more year, hoping they can squeeze out one more Cup. Luongo's a good goalie and it wouldn't be a tragedy to lose Datsyuk, but, unless Luongo develops a wicked shot from across the ice, the Wings won't fare any better in next year's playoffs. The Wings continue to bring in goalie after goalie while they bring back old underachievers like Chelios, Shanahan and Lang. And, sorry to blaspheme, but Yzerman should retire, period. This team needs more than just another goalie. Carolina is on the verge of winning the cup with a rookie goalie. The Wings need more players like Eric Staal, physical wingers who can score.

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 1390
Posted From: 69.220.230.150
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Trade a non-scoring player in the playoffs for a player who has yet to play in the playoffs. Sounds Great.

Problem is Staal is High draft pick that does not grow on trees, however I agree about everything else. Keeping Yzerman, Shanny and chelios and Even Lidstrom at 8+ million is doing nothing but making the fans who have fallen in love the names on the back and not the logo on the front from complaining.

While goaltending is not the lone problem, Legace is not the answer to anything except whos your bakcup.

Holland has been overrated, lets see what he can do to actaully rebuild this team.

(Message edited by _sj_ on June 13, 2006)

Czar

Post Number: 3115
Posted From: 129.137.196.66
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Holland has been overrated, lets see what he can do to actaully rebuild this team."

Bingo. I sense he has no idea how to rebuild it so he keeps slapping duct tape on the damn thing and crosses his fingers.

Blessyouboys

Post Number: 453
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, except for the plethora of young talent that he's been instrumental in drafting in the late rounds of the draft. Granted he may be trading one of them (Datsyuk), but if Luongo somehow wishes to stay here following the first year, he has the potential to become a incredible franchise goaltender to win games by himself.

And really what's wrong with wanting to win now? Isn't that what winning organizations aim to do? Look at the Yankees, they're always in it because they're always making moves to win. Do they have a great foundation? Sure, but look at Zetterberg--he's definitely a player to build a team around.

Good sports organizations don't have transitions of mediocrity--they're smooth and don't slow down. That's what I believe they're doing now-- dealing with the salary cap presents a huge challenge for Holland, however.

(Message edited by blessyouboys on June 13, 2006)

Tigersfan9
Username: Tigersfan9

Post Number: 42
Posted From: 64.118.151.178
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Goaltending wasn't the problem for this team. As anyone who watched their final playoff game clearly saw, this team didn't want to win as badly as their playoff opponents did. The Wings clearly had the ability to take their game to the next level, they just didn't choose to do it when it mattered most. I think trading Datsyuk would be a huge mistake. He's the kind of player whose offensive contributions will be missed. He can carry an entire forward line on his own, and we shouldn't be willing to give up that much talent and that much production for a goalie who has never proven himself capable of winning the big game come playoff time.

_sj_

Post Number: 1392
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Goaltending wasn't the problem for this team.

Dreaming now aren't we. Legace gave up almost 4 goals a game during his two playoff stints. Goaltending is a problem.

Tigersfan9
Username: Tigersfan9

Post Number: 43
Posted From: 64.118.151.178
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Goalies aren't supposed to have to stand on their heads every single night. The defense let Legace down. He wasn't spectacular, but he shouldn't have to be spectacular every single playoff appearance with a team like that in front of him.

Old_southwest
Username: Old_southwest

Post Number: 129
Posted From: 67.149.69.93
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree, goaltending was not the problem.

There wasn't enough offense and the defense couldn't keep up.

Datsyuk did not produce, get rid of him. Legacy did not get the support from the rest of the team. He played good enough to win if only the rest of the team had played as good as they could have.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 718
Posted From: 68.40.119.216
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The problem is that Manny never stood on his head once during the playoffs. Every team in the finals needs a goalie who can win a game by himself at least once. Manny never could and he's a goner.
Even Montreal and Edmonton (in their glory years) had a goalie who could steal a game.
I grant you that we also need some gutsy grinders who can occasionally score too. However, a great goalie is like a front line stopper starting pitcher in baseball.

321brian
Username: 321brian

Post Number: 155
Posted From: 68.62.6.147
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stay the S.W. With that S**t. Goaltending was absolutely the problem. Manny didn't even believe in himself by the end of the Edmonton series.

It wasn't the only problem but if you have a goaltender the rest of the team believes in the rest of the team plays better in front of him.

Knowing that if they make a mistake the goalie will stop the shop is huge.

Old_southwest

Post Number: 130
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

321Brian - Are you directing that last comment at me? What does "Stay the S.W." mean?

You can't blame it all on Manny. The Wings sucked in the playoffs this year.

But, you can't win if you don't score goals. And the Wings didn't score goals.

Mountainman
Username: Mountainman

Post Number: 75
Posted From: 153.90.110.12
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 6:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Manny Legace had 2.84 GAA and .884 save percentage in the playoffs. It was weaker than his 2.14 GAA and .915 during the regular season. Problematic, true. Problem lies with the offence however. If you team scores no more than 3 goals per game how can you expect to win? They were horrendous even strength, being -12 for the series. Players such as Lang and Datysuk put up some of the worst performaces ever witnessed. What about Williams and Schiender, they were respectively -5 and -3. More often than not, a goaltenders numbers reflect the efforts of their fellow team mates. Manny's numbers dropped in the playoffs, but its clear that the stats of his respective team mates collapsed far below his. If a member of team sits there and thinks "Hey, if I screw up .....". If you've ever played sports, you should know that's not an acceptable attitude. If one my guy thinks that way, he's lazy and I want him off my team.
I could understand blaming Legace if every game was lost by 3 or more goals, but no, blaming him makes no sense by what I witnessed on the ice nor the stats reflected as to what happened. Saddly, the statistics may reflect that laissez-faire attitude. If that's the case, he may be time to let go of more than just Manny.

Blessyouboys

Post Number: 456
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

if your team scores no more than 3 goals per game how can you expect to win?

Exactly, this matches the rationale to go get a big-time goalie to avoid letting in 3 goals a game...

And, it's a good example of how a hot goaltender (Roloson) can win games for a team in the playoffs.

Also, I don't know how much weight one should place on the asessment of one playoff series. Edmonton was (is) an incredibly scrappy, good team that matched up real well with the Wings' finessed style. Individual performances were weak all around, statistically speaking. However Manny was the biggest question mark going in to the playoffs and he proved nothing to those who doubted him. He only reaffirmed his status as a back-up goaltender --because he played like one: Average.

Mountainman

Post Number: 76
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A goaltender can only play as well as those around him. Look at the Ottawa Senators in their inaugeral season. They had only 17 wins, and their starting goaltender (Sidorkewicz) had well over a 4.00 GAA. I don't think I'd blame that whole season of him.
I'm sure there was a lack of effort all around. Figure, as long as you getting rid of one guy for an average performance you should also get rid of those horrid performers as well. (Datysuk, Lang, Shanny, Schnieder.) Personally, with their terrible play its difficult at best to assess Legace's performance. More than any other player in hockey, the goaltender relies upon the performance of those around them.

Czar

Post Number: 3117
Posted From: 72.49.172.67
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wouldn't argue that Legace is the answer at goalie, but it isn't like he was goaltending for the Blue Jackets in the playoffs. With the amount of talent the Wings had, the goaltender shouldn't have to stand on his head. Despite the weak division, they romped through the regular season, then, all their "talent" played like shit in the playoffs, no heart.

I'm not upset Legace is gone, he was an average goaltender at best, but the Wings need to retool their entire team, not just plug in a different goaltender.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 2993
Posted From: 69.47.100.44
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

End of the day and the rumor has been unfounded so far.

Smogboy

Post Number: 2994
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And why is it that hockey seems to have the absolute most amount of trade rumors out of any of the major sports? It just seems as though we're constantly barraged by trade rumors. I don't see this happening as much in football, baseball or basketball.

Mountainman

Post Number: 78
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As far as football goes, who really wants anyone the Lions have? Baseball, well with the Tigers only recently getting solid performances out of their players same thing sort of goes for there. I got nothing for the Pistons. Maybe Big Ben just scares too many people, and 'sheed's angry pointing at the ground (mind you, for reasons I have yet to discover) rubs GMs the wrong way?

Smogboy

Post Number: 2995
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not talking about JUST the Detroit teams. Over all the entire NHL is just a buzz about who's getting traded for who. The NFL is hardly strife with things like that. Baseball doesn't have trade rumors like hockey, nor does the NBA- although there are some rumblings every now & then. It's to the point where even on the venerable Hockey Night in Canada show, there is a segment dedicated to rumor mongering.

Mountainman

Post Number: 79
Posted on Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 12:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not sure. Maybe it had something to do with the strike? Hockey fans are like crack addicts they go all fiendish without it. My previous post was suppose to be a joke.

7milekid
Username: 7milekid

Post Number: 80
Posted From: 68.61.162.76
Posted on Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 12:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Datsyuk is the future of the Red Wings, its really that simple. Luongo is a great young goalie but Holland would be insane to give up young pavel. He's probably going to turn into the 7th greatest player of all time

Lexdetroitman_07
Username: Lexdetroitman_07

Post Number: 79
Posted From: 74.131.204.36
Posted on Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 12:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Depending on which way you look at it..this trade could work out for the better, which hopefully it will. GO WINGS!!

Lexdetroitman_07

_sj_

Post Number: 1395
Posted on Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Football has a salary cap that makes it near impossible to trade players.

quote:

I'm not upset Legace is gone, he was an average goaltender at best, but the Wings need to retool their entire team, not just plug in a different goaltender.

That is very true but to excuse Legace from that disater is just being to much of a homer.

The worst thing to possibly happen would have been for Edmonton to win the cup becuase then everyone would have been on the bandwagon that they lost to a champion and everything is ok. Even now with just an appearance in the finals that apathy is already settling in.

Old_southwest

Post Number: 131
Posted on Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Better to get beat by a champion than a loser.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.