Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » "the Twelve Apostles" « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Livedog2
Username: Livedog2

Post Number: 378
Posted From: 24.223.133.177
Posted on Sunday, June 11, 2006 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There were pear trees planted on the site of Water Works Park prior to the Water Works be located there.
tablet

They were affectionately referred to as the "Twelve Apostles." The last one died in 1938 or there abouts after everything was done to try to save it.
pear tree

Here is a little article about Water Works Park with some information concerning the “Twelve Apostles” and the last survivor.

http://info.detnews.com/history/story/index.cfm?id=207&category=locations

My question is does anyone know if there are any pear trees in existence in the Detroit Area that were cuttings that came from the original “Twelve Apostles?”

Livedog2

Messykitty
Username: Messykitty

Post Number: 6
Posted From: 24.21.198.33
Posted on Sunday, June 11, 2006 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have one, but it turned out to be gay, so you probably wouldn't care for it. Probably a clipping from the Judas tree.

Shave
Username: Shave

Post Number: 1177
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Sunday, June 11, 2006 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Livedog2,

You have really started some great threads lately. I am interested in serious inquiries only regarding the question posed by Livedog2. This information would be useful to understanding and celebrating Detroit's decorated history.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1362
Posted From: 69.14.122.57
Posted on Sunday, June 11, 2006 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

During the Detroit Tricentennial, there were several newspaper articles on the Jesuit Pear Trees. A search of the Detroit Free Press Archives online show that there are a couple of relevant articles (synopses only as I don't have an Archive account):

CADILLAC'S ORCHARDS PEAR TREES ON BOTH SIDES OF THE RIVER HAVE ROOTS GOING BACK TO THE REGION'S FIRST SETTLERS
June 26, 2001 •• 1631 words •• ID: 0106260393
"They were the T-Rexes of North America's pear trees, and they once graced both sides of the Detroit River, Lake St. Clair and the upper end of Lake Erie. A dozen trees were planted in 1941 on the west side of the park to replace the park's original giants, which had died. The grounds are off-limits to the public, but the trees can be seen from Jefferson. Another, much bigger tree of unknown age is near the park's southeast corner, in front of the long,...."

IT ISN'T HARD TO FIND THE FRENCH IN WINDSOR
May 10, 2001 •• 849 words •• ID: 0104250414
"Next time you're in Windsor, ask your parents to drive to the corner of Riverside Drive West and Askin Street, four blocks east of the Ambassador Bridge... Stop and park the car. Then tilt your head up at the beautiful old pear tree on the front lawn of 2319 Riverside, a house that looks at the river... It's the biggest pear tree the Yak has ever seen -- taller than the 1 1/2-story house. It's been there since the 18th Century, blooming with thousands...."

And check out these 1941 newspaper articles on the pear trees:

Not St. Peter but Judas is Last of Apostle Trees, Detroit News, May 2, 1941

http://www.virtualmuseum.ca/Ex hibitions/Folklore/english/leg endese/art1e.htm

Patriarch to live anew
Seed to extend life of Famous Tree
, Detroit News, April 27, 1941

http://www.virtualmuseum.ca/Ex hibitions/Folklore/english/leg endese/art2e.htm

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 5606
Posted From: 64.228.193.218
Posted on Sunday, June 11, 2006 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is the one Kathleen mentionned above in Windsor at the corner of Riverside and Askin.

The photo is from 2002. From what I've heard, the tree was kind of weak and rotted at the base. The rot was removed, and the base backfilled with cement to support it. Hence the cement cap.

tree

Livedog2

Post Number: 381
Posted on Sunday, June 11, 2006 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Excellent, Kathleen! What a treasure trove of information and articles about these beautiful pear trees from our distant past.

Maybe we can entice Andrew our brother from the Windsor side of the Detroit River to post some photos of the beautiful old pear tree on the front lawn of 2319 Riverside. It’s fitting that “the Twelve Apostles” had and have cousins on the Canadian side of the Detroit River which is another thread in the rope that binds our two countries and cities together.

I wonder if anyone has any current photos of the cuttings from “the” original “Twelve Apostles” that are in the Gladwin or Water Works Park and the Gabriel Richard Park.

I was wondering if anyone out there has ever eaten any of the pears from the original or cuttings from “the Twelve Apostles” what is referred to as “the small round russet fruit” in the Detroit News article of April 27, 1941.

The last of “the Twelve Apostles”

pear tree

Livedog2

Livedog2

Post Number: 382
Posted on Sunday, June 11, 2006 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Andrew! You beat me posting the photo before I even got the request posted.

This is what this forum is all about as far as I'm concerned.

we love detroit

Livedog2

Pdtpuck
Username: Pdtpuck

Post Number: 46
Posted From: 208.251.168.194
Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 1:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oooh.....*winces*

I hate it when people repair trees with cement!

Probably the next worst thing to topping you can do to a tree.

Although it's been 14 YEARS since my degree (B.S. in Forestry), I seem to remember one of my professors saying that there are better things to fill a gap in a tree with, and cement is NOT one of them!!!

First, there is no flex in cement. If the tree needs to bend in a wind, the cement doesn't give like the tree's natural fiber (and trees bend a lot more than you think, even that low in the trunk!).

Second, it creates small gaps between the "real" tree and the cement, once the cement cures and shrinks, creating passageways for bugs, water, disease to infiltrate the tree and quite possibly cause more rot.

And third, IMHO, it's just damn ugly!

But great story nonetheless...you can see it brought out the "tree hugger" in me!

Livedog2

Post Number: 387
Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 2:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it is amazing how the offspring of St. Peter or Judas or whatever the name of the progeny of the last of “the Twelve Apostils” looks just like the parent.

perr tree canadapear tree us

Livedog2

Kathleen

Post Number: 1364
Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 7:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Livedog,
Thanks for posting the photo of the historic marker. Assuming that it originally was on the Water Works Building. Anyone know if it is still there?

Here are a couple more photos taken in 2001 in Windsor:

Another pear tree standing west of the Baby House (Windsor Community Museum) in downtown Windsor
babyhouse

Commemorative marker in Dieppe Park on Windsor's waterfront
pearmarker

ANCIENT JESUIT PEAR TREES
In June 1749, The South Shore's First Settler, Charles Chauvin, planted near this spot 12 Jesuit pear trees imported from his native France - one for each of the Apostles of Christ. Graftings from those ancient trees, which survive nearby, provided the three saplings planted here - one for each century of the Windsor Detroit Tricentennial Celebration. The hardy high-yielding trees, unique in North America, are appropriate symbols of the enduring spirit, endurance, and productivity of the community. Donated by the Chauvin Family Association.

When I took the photo of the marker, I was unable to determine what trees surrounding the marker were the pear tree graftings. That was back in 2001, so maybe the trees are sufficiently grown to make that determination. I'll have to check the next time I'm in Windsor. BTW...one of my ancestors was Charles Chauvin!

Eastsidedog
Username: Eastsidedog

Post Number: 509
Posted From: 12.47.224.8
Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know the exact type of Pear Tree these are? It would be cool to plant one in my yard.

Andyguard73
Username: Andyguard73

Post Number: 71
Posted From: 64.25.200.14
Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Along the same lines as Eastsidedog's question, does anyone know if its possible to get graftings of the trees planted fromt he originals? It would be really cool to get a descendent of the apostles.

Livedog2

Post Number: 390
Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This article calls them "small round russet fruit".

http://www.virtualmuseum.ca/Exhibitions/Folklore/english/legendese/art2e.htm

I’m no horticulturist but I would say the pears on “the Twelve Apostles” are:
Anjou -- is a large, broad, lopsided, greenish -- yellow pear, which has brown speckles or russeting. The flesh is spicy and juicy. It originated in France or Belgium in the 19th century and now exists in several forms, including the Red Anjou. A dual-purpose pear, it has juicy, sweet flesh. Anjou (full name is Beurre d'Anjou) is the main winter pear of North America. But, I will defer to someone with more agricultural knowledge.

Pdtpuck says he has a B.S. in Forestry so he is probably more qualified to identify exactly what kind of pear tree variety “the Twelve Apostles” really are.

More information and photos about these amazing trees:

http://www.virtualmuseum.ca/Exhibitions/Folklore/english/legendese/poirierse.htm

“The French introduced pears along the Detroit River basin about 1700, and Spanish friars brought the fruit to California in the 1700s.”

http://www.samcooks.com/relish/pears.htm

In full bloom
full bloom

Livedog2

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 495
Posted From: 70.229.231.102
Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My grandmother was a direct decendant of some of the "marines" who came with Cadillac and settled at Detroit. My grandmother was very French in looks and outlook. She lived on Beniteau St. just north of Mack Ave. when the area was known as St. Clair Heights. She had a mature pear tree in her backyard and canned some of the pears in glass jars each year.

I didn't particularly like pears and I just couldn't see why she did it. She said it was French tradition (to keep pears). I wonder now if her pear tree wasn't a very old one planted in the St. Clair Heights neighborhood by a French descendant.

And, when I was a little girl, my grandmother's mother was still alive. She had a house on Lillibridge. That grandmother had a girlhood memory of the 1865 train cortege which duplicated President Lincoln's funeral cortege coming solemnly through Detroit and the midwest to commemorate the President's death.

Livedog2

Post Number: 391
Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pears served, saved and grown in all forms is very French. In 18th century France it was considered a very appropriate and special gift to give someone a ripe pear wrapped in crating paper.

On my last trip to Paris I noticed all the different types of pear desserts. Many included poached pears sitting on a bed of pastries similar to what we call “lady fingers” in the U.S., sitting side by side with vanilla ice cream and drizzled with chocolate syrup or sauce.

Chocolate Diped Pear
chocolate pear

Pear Shaped Chocolate
pear shaped dessert

Pear Compote and Ice Cream with Bavarian Sauce
pear n ice cream

Pear and Ice Cream with Chocolate Syrup
poached pear

Are you craving a pear dessert, yet? Better yet with a pear from "the Twelve Apostles?"

Livedog2

Eastsidedog
Username: Eastsidedog

Post Number: 518
Posted From: 12.47.224.8
Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

mmmmm. I love pears. Gotta get myself one of them apostle pear trees... :-)

Livedog2

Post Number: 399
Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 6:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here we are over 200+ years after the fact talking about, of all things, pear trees which just shows to go you that it’s the simple things in life that mean the most to human beings. I just love it!

I want one of these off of the offspring of “the Twelve Apostles”
pear

Detroit has some great history -- as good as any history anywhere, anytime! The point is now we need to create some history that people a hundred or two-hundred years from now will say, "Wow can you imagine those guys on DetroitYes and what they contributed to Detroit!" Instead of DetroitWho?

Livedog2

Livedog2

Post Number: 410
Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 11:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When you get your pears from "the 12 Apostles" you can use this recipe to prepare your pears for use during the entire winter:

RECIPE

This is a traditional recipe to keep pears. With this method pears could be kept the whole winter. People served them as condiments or as a main meal. This recipe comes from Cécile Bénéteau, Rivière-aux-Canards.

Marinated pears

4 pints of ripe pears but still firm
1 cup of water
2 cups of vinegar
4 cups of sugar
a pinch of cinnamon
cloves

Boil the pears and all ingredients in a pan for 15 minutes.

Put in a jar as for pickles.

Copyright © Windsor Public Library 2004. All rights reserved.

canned pears in a jar

Livedog2

Pdtpuck

Post Number: 49
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 2:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Pdtpuck says he has a B.S. in Forestry so he is probably more qualified to identify exactly what kind of pear tree variety “the Twelve Apostles” really are.

remember, I said it was 14 YEARS AGO! :-)
I've been away from it for so long, I have trouble with even the easiest of i.d.'s!!!
Add to that, I never delved too deeply into what school termed "ornamentals" and/or fruit trees! most of my studies dealt with, ironically, "forest" trees (oaks, pines, maples, hickorys (-ies?)).
One more item, I know the "Tewlve Apostles" are very old, making i.d. of them fairly easy, but there are probably HUNDREDS of varieties of pear trees in the world now!

Livedog2

Post Number: 414
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 2:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, now that you covered your ass seven ways from Sunday, Pdtpuck what variety of pear tree are they? :-) Nothing like putting you right on the spot!

Livedog2

Pdtpuck

Post Number: 51
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 2:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JEEZ! should've never opened my mouth! :-)
off the cuff, and being @ work away from my old school books @ home, i'd say....Bartlett (?-I could be WAY off base with that one...)
*cringes & hopes no other tree people call me out*
Bartlett pear trees were the only ones I ever remember i.d.-ing in school

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 1121
Posted From: 69.222.11.226
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 3:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It would be great to start some seedlings from the fruit of this tree. Does anyone know if the tree is still bearing fruit in Windsor?

Kathleen

Post Number: 1365
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 6:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember picking up some sort of fruit from the pear tree outside the Baby House/Windsor Community House back in 2001, but it was totally not edible. And, although I brought it back over the border with me to try to produce something with roots, that didn't work either.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.