Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » If a scrapper were shot... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Huggybear
Username: Huggybear

Post Number: 226
Posted From: 68.79.113.90
Posted on Sunday, June 11, 2006 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...a hundred times, do you think that other scrappers would scour the area for the brass shell casings and tear the body apart to get the lead bullets out?

I mean, these people will do anything to get $2 worth of nonferrous metals - destroy historic structures, expose themselves to asbestos, risk personal injury.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 5901
Posted From: 70.236.198.22
Posted on Sunday, June 11, 2006 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Huggybear,

Damn great question.

Thank goodness we still have abandoned buildings for them to work on.

If and when that desperation increases, where do you think entrepreneurial individuals will then turn for their income?!

I believe these folks are the ones who are struggling to earn some cash without attacking another individual directly...I wonder how much desperation it would take for them to cross the line and steal, or rob, or riot.

Most of these people cannot and/or will not enter the system 'normally' due to things in their past that will catch up with them should they be 'found'.

Scrapping is merely a symptom of a much greater ill...

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 3451
Posted From: 69.209.161.52
Posted on Sunday, June 11, 2006 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

scrapping is a sign of the times. Bad economy here in Mich. Not that I excuse them or anything

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 5904
Posted From: 70.236.198.22
Posted on Sunday, June 11, 2006 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Me either...but it would be nice if there was a way to take their energetic talents and do the deed officially to a building for their proper income without it being a dragnet for minor criminals and child-support avoiders.

I don't support those who are skirting the law, but think that IF they have chosen to stay in this 'occupation' that they are probably among the most 'recoverable' of our citizens.

I mean, we know it is not easy or clean work.

I'd love to do a survey of the demolition companies that are tearing down our buildings and see how much of their basic labor force comes from the city.

Wonder MORE if there could ever be some form of governmental 'cushion' organization that could buffer these folks from immediate prosecution and incarceration as long as they headed in a positive direction?!

Livedog2
Username: Livedog2

Post Number: 375
Posted From: 24.223.133.177
Posted on Sunday, June 11, 2006 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't tease me!

Livedog2

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 713
Posted From: 68.40.119.216
Posted on Sunday, June 11, 2006 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Scavangers, grave robbers and others of that ilk may deserve pity but not acceptance. You can't live in a city that lets this stuff go on all the time.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2287
Posted From: 4.229.81.90
Posted on Sunday, June 11, 2006 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe we should be happy they're not into organ harvesting....

Livedog2
Username: Livedog2

Post Number: 377
Posted From: 24.223.133.177
Posted on Sunday, June 11, 2006 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grave robbers! Did you say, "Grave robbers?" I haven't heard anything about grave robbers. Where are the stories about grave robbers? And, why are they grave robbing?

Livedog2

Dillpicklesoup
Username: Dillpicklesoup

Post Number: 39
Posted From: 64.7.188.45
Posted on Sunday, June 11, 2006 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

copper miners- a friend of mine use to be in charge of the 5th precinct- and they would frequently haul someone out of the DTE tunnels steam tunnels who had been fried down there trying to mine copper-
With all of this energy- maybe they could reopen some of the mines in the up-

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 2075
Posted From: 69.246.29.74
Posted on Sunday, June 11, 2006 - 6:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that's a great idea!

Vandykenjefferson
Username: Vandykenjefferson

Post Number: 7
Posted From: 68.40.195.233
Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 12:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I might sound like an idiot here, but I was exploring the Fisher 21 plant today, and ran into two guys scrapping. They seemed like half decent dudes. They said they can get up to $1.25/lb for certain metals. And, personally, I'd rather see these guys get a few bucks and see this metal used again than have it trashed in 20 years, when it is demolished...

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 481
Posted From: 35.11.210.161
Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 12:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree you sound like an idiot. How can anyone advocate for the destruction of property? The plundering of these buildings only makes reuse harder, but I guess you forgot about that while your heart was bleeding. I'll bet you they just don't stop at metal they're probably ripping out architectural elements, all over the city you see building beautiful works removed. But I guess it's worth it so these vultures can make a few bucks off our history

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 6098
Posted From: 208.27.111.125
Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 8:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's something I don't get to do very often: Kudos to Huggy for using the correct "were" in his headline, instead of the more conventional - but incorrect - "was."

If the thing you are supposing is fiction, use "were."

If I were president...

If a scrapper were shot...

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 26
Posted From: 63.102.87.27
Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 9:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =uVEgdcJCDgE&search=detroit%2C %20abandoned

Eastsidedog
Username: Eastsidedog

Post Number: 507
Posted From: 12.47.224.8
Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The scrappers are getting more and more desperate because of high gas prices. Those old pickups hauling metal are gas hogs. Who know's? They may quit scrapping if gas prices get too high, or resort to horse drawn carts!

My neighbor was telling me the other day that 3 or 4 years ago when my house was abandoned, scrappers threw the radiators out the second floor bathroom window and hauled them away for scrap (BTW, they were replaced a couple years ago and now work great :-)).

The scrappers tooling around in the old beat up trucks only care about metal. The folks stealing the architectural details are professionals.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.