Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Good bye, Manny Legace! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 2889
Posted From: 69.47.100.44
Posted on Saturday, June 10, 2006 - 4:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20060610/S PORTS0103/606100316

It's the Wings re-tooling again. We'll see they bring in next. It was fun while it lasted, Manny. Thanks for a great regular season and being a class act the entire time you were here.

Cafe
Username: Cafe

Post Number: 1272
Posted From: 84.162.52.136
Posted on Saturday, June 10, 2006 - 5:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This could be a good thing for Manny. His regular season was outstanding. I hate to see him leaving Detroit, he was always a nice fella.

Alexei289
Username: Alexei289

Post Number: 1173
Posted From: 68.61.183.223
Posted on Saturday, June 10, 2006 - 5:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

... why not just keep him in competition with a rookie..

doesnt make sense.....

Hockey_player
Username: Hockey_player

Post Number: 205
Posted From: 69.14.18.137
Posted on Saturday, June 10, 2006 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Because he was twice given the chance in the playoffs and twice he choked and melted down. Two chances is plenty.

Smogboy

Post Number: 2896
Posted on Saturday, June 10, 2006 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In this town, goalies are rarely given that many chances.

Look at guys like Tim Cheveldae.

7milekid
Username: 7milekid

Post Number: 70
Posted From: 68.41.222.28
Posted on Saturday, June 10, 2006 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what a shame, he'll probably win the Vezina this year! This resembles the bonehead move the wings pulled when they let sawchuck go a year after winning the cup.

Blessyouboys
Username: Blessyouboys

Post Number: 446
Posted From: 69.209.150.68
Posted on Saturday, June 10, 2006 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Legace's numbers have been inflated for a long time, he's had great defense in front of him for much of his time here. I don't really see him competing for a first-string job outside of Detroit. Once we get a world-class goaltender in here, you'll notice how average Manny was.

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1025
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Saturday, June 10, 2006 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And Manny has made it perfectly clear in many interviews that he wants to be a starter, not a backup, while Osgood has said he doesn't care, he just wants to be in Detroit. And Osgood is perfectly happy with $900,000, while Legace would want something more like what he made this year. They only have $3 Million to work with in cap room, maybe $4 million to give them some bargaining room, Lidstrom is really the priority to sign right now.

Eastside
Username: Eastside

Post Number: 885
Posted From: 68.42.174.187
Posted on Saturday, June 10, 2006 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No wimps allowed.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 711
Posted From: 68.40.119.216
Posted on Saturday, June 10, 2006 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Manny talked his way out of town. His playoff performance spoke volumes and then he said he wouldn't be a backup. Good luck having that goals against average with an inferior defense.
He rarely stood on his head to win games and that's what you need sometimes to win the Stanley Cup. Nothing else will do.

Smogboy

Post Number: 2904
Posted on Saturday, June 10, 2006 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Again, in this town nothing short of winning the Cup will do anymore. And I agree totally with Paulmcall, Manny needed to play MUCH better in the playoffs in order for us to win and quite frankly... he didn't. He knew the pressures going into the position; he's not oblivious to the pressure but when called upon he couldn't pull it off. Again, thanks but the organization has decided to move on in another direction.

Pdtpuck
Username: Pdtpuck

Post Number: 41
Posted From: 208.251.168.194
Posted on Sunday, June 11, 2006 - 1:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

does anyone else here think maybe Holland's time is up, too?

*waiting for the backlash*

lol

Smogboy

Post Number: 2914
Posted on Sunday, June 11, 2006 - 2:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kenny Holland's time very well could be up, but how can you fault a guy who's assembled a team that wins? Granted it's only for the regular season and I'm willing to be there are a litany of other teams out there that would love to have our success as well. You figure he's probably within a sniff or two of adding a few more ingredients to the mix to take it over the top again.

It's tough call whether he's done or not. Pdtpuck, what are your reasons for brooming Kenny Holland other than not producing in the playoffs?? I'm open to discussing them as well because I'm sitting on the fence with this one.

Pdtpuck

Post Number: 42
Posted on Sunday, June 11, 2006 - 2:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well, basically the playoff question. I'm no expert by any means, but it seems to me that he could've gotten a more PROVEN goalie for the playoff run (although a case could be made in Rolosson being kind of a "bench warmer" most of his career...now look at what he did in Edmonton, up until his injury).

Everybody knows what Manny did in the regular season, but let's face it, the playoffs are an entirely differnet kind of animal! With Osgood's iffy track record after leaving Detroit, and him saying he was comfortable with a back-up job, and Legace's earlier playoff flame-outs, I think that Detroit could've went after a more PROVEN playoff performer (although, here again my logic is called into question with say Cujo's Detroit stay...look what he did in Phoenix!). I brought it up mainly for a friendly debate...I guess Holland's legace (pun intended!) is already cemented, but I'm curious as to what some new blood could bring to the table!

Pdtpuck

Post Number: 43
Posted on Sunday, June 11, 2006 - 2:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and also, you never know.....Legace could wind-up in Atlanta, and the Thrashers could be Cup winners in '07!!!

321brian
Username: 321brian

Post Number: 153
Posted From: 68.62.6.147
Posted on Sunday, June 11, 2006 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hate to say I told you so but I did. I posetd a long time ago the Manny wasn't the guy and never will be. He is a career back up for a reason.

Osgood had/has a better chance of taking the team deep in to the playoffs.

I don't know why everyone is so down on Ozzy and always kissing Mannys ass. All he ever did here was win games and a cup.

I disagree that Osgood was spotty after he left here the first time. He played on some bad teams and won a lot of games. You can't win 320+ games and not be any good. Keep him and Howard for next year and see what happens.

I also think Shanny should go too. Can anyone think of one meaningful playoff goal he has ever had for the Wings?

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 714
Posted From: 68.40.119.216
Posted on Sunday, June 11, 2006 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yea, I think Shanahan has had it. It's one thing to score during the season but the playoffs demand you show up and deliver. For the kind of money he makes, I expected more.

Smogboy

Post Number: 2924
Posted on Sunday, June 11, 2006 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Shanny still has some effectiveness for the team but I agree, if he wants to stay here he's going to have to take a pretty hefty pay cut. Part of me hopes he stays but only as a role player.

Mountainman
Username: Mountainman

Post Number: 68
Posted From: 153.90.110.12
Posted on Sunday, June 11, 2006 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As a lifelong Red Wing fan I can tell you one basic fact of Wings' fans. No matter how horrid a team plays, no matter how many miscues the rest of the players have IT IS ALWAYS THE GOALTENDER'S FAULT. This is regardless of how well they play. If you're going to blame Legace fine, but how many goals did his offense put in for him? You can't expect to win many games in the current NHL if you score just one or two goals. It's just fundamentally sound hockey. Legace is one guy, and extremely high paid group of guys in front him should have down a heck of lot more. Cujo should be proof positive of the Detroit media and fan's mentality of destroying good goaltenders.
If Patrick Roy (Who is arguably the best and most influencial goaltender to play the game) had played in the D, and failed to record a cup every year he was there, he undoubted would have been trumpted out of town. Blame for failure for the past two decades has ridden strongly on the backs of those players the Red Wings choose to put in the pipes. Why not go after Shanny or Lidstrom from not tallying critical goals for the team? The Oilers are in the cup final, and in case you haven't noticed, appear to have regrouped as a team after losing Roloson. Take this a point further, Dwayne Roloson? Not exactly the largest name in goaltenders. Hockey is a team sport. It requires everyone on that team to carry the weight of success upon their own shoulders. Manny Legace, Curtis Joseph, and Tim Cheveldae were not and are not horrid starting goaltenders. They are simply scapegoats for the other 20 or so guys that failed their organization and fans in their quest for the cup.

Smogboy

Post Number: 2933
Posted on Sunday, June 11, 2006 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not that I'm saying it's right but that's the nature of the position. Same has been said for the Lions' QB. Those positions are always lightning rods for fan contorversy because it's the most visible. I think anyone that goes into playing those positions know upfront that they're going to be on the hot seat- rightfully or wrongly, they know that they shoulder an unfair part of the blame if the team falters.

And look at the goalies that do win, they're hardly even recognized. Even Mike Vernon- the Conn Smythe winner that first year; he's hardly even mentioned anymore in the area or is he beloved by the locals. Ozzie won a Cup for us too but he's never been embraced as a top notch goalie either.

It's a tough position to play and even a tougher job to keep.

Mountainman
Username: Mountainman

Post Number: 69
Posted From: 153.90.110.12
Posted on Sunday, June 11, 2006 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree. Problem is with goaltending in Detroit is that's the only position to bare the brunt of Wings' fans. Its sad, because as far as the history of the franchise goes I think it really hurts the team.

Pdtpuck

Post Number: 45
Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 1:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

/\ agree with everyone re: Shanny. If he wants to say, he'll have to take less $$$.

I don't see were Lidstrom should have some fault for the early playoff exit...maybe I didn't see enough of the games, but the ones I did watch, I thought he played his usual game. I am also in agreement with the "if you don't put in goals to help your goaltender" statement. Look at the guys who DIDN'T score (or score enough, like they were accustomed to during the reg. season) vs. Edmonton. Shanny, Datsuk, Maltby, Lang, etc.

Another argument could be made that 2 of the games went to double o.t., and four of the six games were one goal games. So there is definitely not much salt in the belief that it was all Manny's fault. I would have an easier time making the case for Manny's lynching if the games were 5-0 or 6-2!

But, anyway, all of this seems for naught because he wants to test his value in the market as a starter, and I wish him the best. Hope it works out for him and Detroit!

Pdtpuck

Post Number: 47
Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 1:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

We'd like him back. We're going to make an offer, and we're prepared to offer more than he made last year."

Under the new salary cap, Shanahan made $2.28 million. Given his age, it's highly unlikely an offer would be for more than two years, with a possible club option for a third. The Wings acquired Shanahan via trade Oct. 9, 1996; he had 46 goals and 87 points his first season and 40 goals and 81 points this season.

so much for the pay cut!!!

Ct4438
Username: Ct4438

Post Number: 18
Posted From: 67.37.215.187
Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 8:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pdtpuck,

You're incorrect in including Maltby as one of the Wings not scoring in the playoffs. Game 1 he scored the goal to send it into OT, and then scored the game winner.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 4267
Posted From: 141.217.174.229
Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Red Wings now have no Legace! HAH good riddance to him he knows that NHL Hockey is a corporate business and he needs some more MONEY!

Pdtpuck

Post Number: 52
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 3:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

NAME POS GP G A PTS +/- PIM ATOI SOG SPCT G A G A
Kirk Maltby, DET LW 6 2 1 3 2 4 13:02 12 16.7 0 0 0 0

quote:

Game 1 he scored the goal to send it into OT, and then scored the game winner.

6 games played, 2 goals scored (in the first game)
DET won 3-2 (2OT)
so if it was a one-game series, we wouldn't be having this conversation now??? :-) I guess I should've said "score CONSISTENTLY!!!" (Hey, at least he was a +2!!!)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.