Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Street Addresses in the City of Detroit... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Livedog2
Username: Livedog2

Post Number: 344
Posted From: 24.223.133.177
Posted on Wednesday, June 07, 2006 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What can anyone tell me about the street address numbering system(s) in the City of Detroit? How were they set up, have they been changed, if they had been changed how can you correlate between the old numbers and the new. Again, if they had been changed how often and when and what is the logic used in designating the numbers. What were the starting points and how were new streets and structures handled? What are the oldest streets and is there a map that shows the dates that streets were added to the city?

street address

Livedog2

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1100
Posted From: 69.222.11.226
Posted on Wednesday, June 07, 2006 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The old numbering system (in use up until December, 1920) was similar to Manhattan's in New York City. Numbering started at 1 at the origin of the street and progressed from there. Addresses in the same block on parallel streets often didn't line up under that system, because parallel streets often didn't begin off of the same artery or side street. For example, a house numbered "128" on one street might back up to a house numbered "315" on a parallel street.

On Jan. 1, 1921, a new numbering system was instituted (more similar to Chicago's, where a grid system organized addresses by blocks). This is essentially the system we have now. It was extended to some of the suburbs (primarily Macomb County, western Wayne County, and part of Oakland County) as well.

Some buildings still have both the old and new numbers on them. Check out the Renaud apartment building on Second at Hancock for a great example.

The oldest streets are obviously those in the city center and immediately surrounding neighborhoods. Grand Boulevard was the outer rim of the city circa 1900. Detroit's early boom years were from about 1910-1930; most original buildings/houses just outside the Grand Boulevard loop were built in that era (i.e., Boston-Edison, North End, etc.). A notable exception is Indian Village, which was started as an exclusive neighborhood well outside the perimeter of the boulevard in the late 1890s (although most of the housing is also 1910-1930).

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 530
Posted From: 70.229.40.99
Posted on Wednesday, June 07, 2006 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Even numbers are on the opposite side of the street from the odd numbers

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 2588
Posted From: 68.43.15.105
Posted on Wednesday, June 07, 2006 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://mipolonia.net/old_new_a ddys/old_new_addys.htm

Reetz12
Username: Reetz12

Post Number: 59
Posted From: 68.40.172.108
Posted on Wednesday, June 07, 2006 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some of the main arteries out of the city are numbered to let you know what mile road to find an address. Example Beach Grill in ST. Clair Shores on 24420 Jefferson. You take the first to numbers "24" minus 5 then divide by 2 will give you the mile road it is at. 9 1/2 mile. This also works for gratiot, grosebeck, woodward and many others streets running out of the city.

Hamtramck_steve
Username: Hamtramck_steve

Post Number: 2998
Posted From: 68.73.58.171
Posted on Wednesday, June 07, 2006 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Generally, all of the addresses are run that way going north, even ones on the residential streets.

It's true in all of Macomb County except for some very tiny sections immediately around old villages and in Mt. Clemens. Oakland County is too good for such a simple thing, so it stops working around 11 or 12 Mile.

Jiminnm
Username: Jiminnm

Post Number: 667
Posted From: 68.35.85.184
Posted on Wednesday, June 07, 2006 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I remember correctly, for many years house numbers were assigned by Detroit Edison (using the above rules). I guess the assumption was that every new house would have electricity and numbers weren't important until mail had to be delivered (builders used lot numbers until then). I don't think this is now the case.

Livedog2

Post Number: 347
Posted on Wednesday, June 07, 2006 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks all; this is helpful because I was doing some family genealogy and I kept coming up with different street numbers on the same street in the R.L.Polk Directories and it didn’t make any sense.

Does anyone know if the Burton Historical Records have been put online or if they haven’t are there any plans to do it anytime soon?

Livedog2

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2269
Posted From: 4.229.81.49
Posted on Wednesday, June 07, 2006 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isn't the worlds highest address (according to the Guiness Book of World Records) something like 82,000 in northern Macomb County (or beyond?) and is a continuation of the Detroit numbering system??

Livedog2

Post Number: 352
Posted on Wednesday, June 07, 2006 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have been looking and Googling and researching trying to find something that associates street names and addresses but mostly street names with the dates they were given names.

Sounds like a good project -- maybe I can get a Block Grant from the U.S. Government to do the research. If I do I'm going to hire Mikem, Hornwrecker and Andrew from the Canadian side.

Livedog2
jos campau

Ron
Username: Ron

Post Number: 173
Posted From: 66.174.79.228
Posted on Wednesday, June 07, 2006 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't the streets running east and west have addresses that start at 1 at woodward and escalate from there?

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1226
Posted From: 63.41.8.214
Posted on Wednesday, June 07, 2006 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Woodward is the dividing line from the river to McNichols, where it jogs east and follows John R northwards.

Grand Blvd. starts at the river going higher towards Woodard, from both ends.

Even #s: east or south side of street
Odd #s: west or north side of street

I have no idea about how Outer Drive is numbered.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 808
Posted From: 69.242.223.42
Posted on Wednesday, June 07, 2006 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't the even/odd numbers switch sides of the street on E/W streets depending on whether you're east or west of John R?

Mikem

Post Number: 2589
Posted on Wednesday, June 07, 2006 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes. Even numbers south side of the street on east side of city, even numbers on the north side of the street on the west side.

Treble484
Username: Treble484

Post Number: 7
Posted From: 69.14.92.85
Posted on Wednesday, June 07, 2006 - 11:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

in General as numbers increase even is on the right and odd on the left. This is a good rule of thumb. of course there are exceptions,

Mikem

Post Number: 2591
Posted on Wednesday, June 07, 2006 - 11:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Outer Drive addresses run the opposite of Grand Boulevard, increasing away from Woodward.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 2681
Posted From: 66.167.210.191
Posted on Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 1:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A subject near and dear to my heart as a former Sears Appliance delivery driver. Each day, before we loaded the trucks, we had to map out our route so we wouldn't have to dig a refrigerator out of the back of the truck that comes off at the first stop.

Woodward is indeed the big D, the divider, with the river as its axis. All numbers east, west and north start from there. A key to remember is, as noted above, the odd and even numbers are on opposite sides of the street. East of Woodward the odds are on the north side and the evens on the south. West of Woodward it is the opposite.

If you know which side of Woodward you are on, that can save you a lot of grief in getting your truck on the correct side of the road in front of your house.

Except in a few older urban sprawled villages, each block encompasses 100 numbers. So if you are at 1100 Whatever you know you are roughly 12 blocks from Woodward or north of the river.

After awhile you learn the Mile road numbers, like 17300 = Six Mile, 19100, seven, 20300 Eight etc. When you get really good, you learn the North-South road numbers and their name sequences.

When you go south of the river line, like downriver, the zero line become Cherry Hill Road, so numbers climb south and north from there and, as I recall, the odds and evens flip.

All this is great -- until your go 'off the grid'. This happens in the eastside tangle of Gratiot, Gunston, Hayes and in the Pointes. Grand Blvd and Outer Drive are hopeless and Dearborn is a mess.

Livedog2

Post Number: 353
Posted on Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 1:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think many of the oldest street names echo back to our French beginnings with many French Military names from that Napoleonic Era. Street names like – Army, Bivouac, Calvary, Dragoon, Fort, Infantry, Military, Musket, Navy, Napoleon (Baldwin Place), Regular, Volunteer, Waterloo (Antietam) and many others.

There is much good history of the names of the streets in Detroit at this location:

http://www.geocities.com/histm ich/streetname.html

Livedog2

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 809
Posted on Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 1:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's no Calvary, you religious freak...

Livedog2

Post Number: 354
Posted on Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 1:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

O
o
o d
o e o
p v g
s i 2
! L

Ro_resident
Username: Ro_resident

Post Number: 164
Posted From: 63.85.13.248
Posted on Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The highest (legitimate) address range that I could come up with in the region is 81660 to 81999 on Main/Memphis Ridge/M-19 from the Belle River to the city limits in Memphis. The St. Clair County side of Memphis.

Detroit is interesting as you know whether you are heading towards or away from Woodward by what side even and odd numbers are on streets.

Typically, even numbers are found on the north or east side of the street, and odd numbers are found on the south and west side.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2270
Posted From: 4.229.105.25
Posted on Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 9:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Ro_resident.... I seem to remember that Yale Michigan had the highest address number. That would be north of where you described.

Kilgore_south
Username: Kilgore_south

Post Number: 84
Posted From: 24.176.20.117
Posted on Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fascinating thread! One of Detroit's many unique features is how fast the numbers increase. For example, the Fox Theater is only a mile or so north of the river, but its address is already 2211.

Compare that to Chicago (another city with a grid-pattern and orderly house numbers) where the addresses progress at a much more gradual rate. The Hancock tower is about a mile north of Madison Ave. (the divider street) but its address is only 875.

Not sure why this would be, but it's something different about Detroit that I kinda like.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 815
Posted on Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

M'Waukee generally uses 8 hundred blocks per mile. Detroit has around 15 to 20 hundred blocks per mile.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 241
Posted From: 209.220.229.254
Posted on Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chicago's "blocks" are gigantic...blocks are 8 to a mile. This is why.

Rustic
Username: Rustic

Post Number: 2538
Posted From: 130.132.177.245
Posted on Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Two neat things about metro-Detroit streets are:

(1) the gigantic address numbers as mentioned above and

(2) the intimate way metro-Detroiters rarely use "Road" "Street" "Avenue" etc. in conversation. It is usually just "Eight Mile" "McNicholls" "Fenkell" "Gratiot" "Grand River" "Livernois" "Northwestern" "Big Beaver" (esp with residential streets) ... The few exceptions (e.g. Outer Drive, West Grand Boulevard, Long Lake Road, Lakeshore Drive, Orchard Lake Rd.) sound almost formal and stuffy in comparison. "Park" "Chalfonte" "Sussex" "Pilgrim" "Wyoming" "Dix" "Balmoral" ... it just sounds so friendly.

220hendrie1910
Username: 220hendrie1910

Post Number: 25
Posted From: 20.137.2.50
Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok wrote:

quote:

Isn't the worlds highest address (according to the Guiness Book of World Records) something like 82,000 in northern Macomb County (or beyond?) and is a continuation of the Detroit numbering system??

The institution of 911 service in all parts of Ontario, including rural areas, has led to some truly huge house numbers; I have seen 6-digit numbers along some rural highways near here.

Going for a million in Ottawa.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.