Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Questions on Indian Village? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 399
Posted From: 68.43.107.72
Posted on Sunday, June 04, 2006 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was wondering about Indian Village as far as crime, average cost of homes is concerned,

Haydenth
Username: Haydenth

Post Number: 92
Posted From: 68.252.5.167
Posted on Sunday, June 04, 2006 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1. crime is the same as anywhere else
2. call your real estate agent

Motorcitymayor2026
Username: Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 881
Posted From: 24.231.189.137
Posted on Sunday, June 04, 2006 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dont think crime in Indian Village is the same as in other parts of the city...Perhaps breakins and less severe crimes, but violent crime would be less than other sections of town...

Haydenth
Username: Haydenth

Post Number: 97
Posted From: 68.252.5.167
Posted on Sunday, June 04, 2006 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

eh. I wouldn't put money on that.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 1665
Posted From: 75.10.25.157
Posted on Sunday, June 04, 2006 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cost is far higher than average Detroit, but considering cost per square foot, and the sorts of renowned homes you can get your hands on, it is a BARGAIN if you are anywhere in the $250-750k market. Homes near 1 million are few and far between, although about 80 percent of these homes would sell for near a million or many, many millions if they were in Grosse Pointe.

You'd need to talk to some villagers. I'm sure they all have anecdotes about crime. You missed a good chance to talk to villagers if you missed the annual home tours that were held on Saturday. I would suspect violent crime is lower than the rest of the city. Breakins are probably slightly lower than average because of the close-knit nature of the residents, and the fact that most invest in pricey security systems. But hey, GP is well known for having occasional break-ins and plenty of car theft, but something has held these neighborhoods together, too.

Again--best advice--talk to those who live there. Look into West Village while your at it--it's a nice urban neighborhood.

(Message edited by mackinaw on June 05, 2006)

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 404
Posted From: 68.43.107.72
Posted on Sunday, June 04, 2006 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

gracias!

Alexei289
Username: Alexei289

Post Number: 1170
Posted From: 68.61.183.223
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 1:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

god damn.. doesnt crime just suck???

i mean.. it is the anti climax for everything good that can happen to the city.

How the hell do you solve the problem of the city being a den of sociopaths...

rebuild a house... and your bound to have your tools stolen...

as a repeated victim of theft... i can honestly say that is probably the biggest open wound the city has.... and the one that may well be impossible to close. I mean.... you cant lock up 1/3rd of the city....

its not just that.. but it seems so many people BLATANTLY laugh in the face of the law.. completely. From just tossing a pop bottle in the middle of the street... dumping shit on a vacant lot... or the one that pisses me off ALOT is Jaywalking en masse... RIGHT in front of my car... people dont even wait for a clearing... they just walk right in front... if you dont stop in time, your bound to get sued.

It is such a critical mass of sociopathic attitude among masses of people, that i doubt is matched in any other city in size and scope. Yes every city has these types of people... ESPECIALLY in NY... but its just some of the people... not whole neighborhoods.

even worse the victims of crimes are the ones who have to pay for these assholes actions. I hope their debt gets paid in hell... because it isnt getting paid here.

The honest good citizens of Detroit have their reputation forever linked to the sons of bitches that make this city a relative shithole to anyone who doesnt live there... paying for their selfishness. Imagine what the homes in IV would go for today.. if this attitude wasnt so prevalant.

Hiram Walkers house is up for sale (Canadian Club founder), 6000 sq ft.. for a mere 600k. You couldnt buy a shack in Phoenix for that...

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 738
Posted From: 69.242.213.101
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Crime is most definitely not as bad as in 80% of the cities poorer neighborhoods.

I had my car stolen twice (jeep liberty) before I got wise to the "chrysler ignition problem." (ie easy to start). But that's no different than anywhere else in the city.

We've got a VERY strong community communication system in our Yahoo groups page and our security surveillance company (Dusing) who keeps us informed 24 hours a day with blackberry emails. I'm very comfortable here and would encourage people to look into becoming a part of the community.

BTW...we just had our Home and Garden tour...I believe something like 5000 people came. It was great...we docented a neighbors house...always fun to talk to people who are interested in the history.

Our community website is www.historicindianvillage.org BTW.

-Quinn

Mackinaw

Post Number: 1667
Posted From: 69.221.36.73
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Hiram Walker house at 1441 Burns is actually listed at 8,500 sf, for 659k. Still such a bargain. 1500 Seminole is a blue stucco Georgian, at least 8,000 sf, selling for 900k I want to say, and this is the current most expensive price tag in the village.

Thanks for the info on how the Villagers act as a community, Quinn.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 3433
Posted From: 65.222.10.3
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

anyone get pics of the garden tour this year???

Mackinaw

Post Number: 1668
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Used film, so I'll need to develop them.

I also noticed that 1012 Burns, a classic Georgian house, is on the market. The company selling it doesn't appear to have a website. Quinn, do you happen to know how much they want for that house?

Quinn

Post Number: 739
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

$550K. They are pretty neat people who, I believe, are planning a move to Ireland.

It's a gorgeous home...it feels like it could be the white house inside...one of the prettiest and grandest staircases in the village.

What's the name of the real estate company?

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 6032
Posted From: 208.27.111.125
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Film?"

Quinn

Post Number: 740
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Film instead of digital Jeffey.

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 6034
Posted From: 208.27.111.125
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is the "film" of which you speak?

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1162
Posted From: 136.2.1.101
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Film... It is believed to be an archaic technology used before the days of digital cameras. I'm only going on what my grandpappy told me.

Eastsidedog
Username: Eastsidedog

Post Number: 467
Posted From: 68.20.140.8
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chitaku, I've lived in West Village for almost 2 years and know others who live in WV and IV. Here's my 2 cents about crime:

I would say that crime is lower in West Village compared to Indian Village for various reasons, one being that IV is targeted because of it's percieved wealth. I've never heard of anyone ever getting broken into, carjacked, robbed or anything in WV, ever. Their is occassional auto theft and petty theft if you leave something valuable out (get a kill switch if you drive a big shiny new truck or SUV, this is what they steal). Really WV is very, very safe to walk around alone in the middle of the night.

About alarms: Alarms are great because when you get home you know for sure no ones in the house and you'll have no concerns while sleeping at night. The drawback of alarms is that people trip their alarms by accident all the time so the police don't come unless an actual homeowner calls, and then it goes into the cue. If the crime is already over they will come like 20 minutes later if they come at all. I've heard that if the crime is in progress and it's serious they'll come in a few minutes. So alarms aren't that great of a deterrent really. But better than no alarm. Also, Dusing Security and Surveilance are really good. Numerous residents of IV and WV (including myself) have DSS and they patrol often, we know the patrolman well. I belive they are armed too (can anyone confirm?).

The best thing to do is get a really big, menacing dog. A rottweiler, pit, bullmastif, something big that barks a lot. Most people in the city are scared shitless of dogs. They will cross the street when you walk them. A big dog will certainly cause would-be criminals to pass up your house for the next "soft target."

Also, a gun is a good thing to own, but hope you'll never have to use it. You probably won't.

All the talk about crime is certainly important. This is the inner-city and crime is definitely real. But if you make your belongings a hard target the thieves won't bother. They want easy things to steal (you have to have some really expensive stuff to make a thief want to mess with your dog).

IV and WV are good urban neighborhoods on the uptick with lots of infill and rehabs with one of the best locations in the city. The area has something for everyone from flats, to high-rise apartments, to townhouses, to mansions, to modest historic homes, and soon lofts.

All things said I'm very close to some long-time WV residents and they all say crime has plummeted in the last 5 years. It's like night and day. WV was actually horrible from what I've heard with some very serious crime going on. It is 99% totally gone from the neighborhood now. I'll admit, I was unsure about the neighborhood when my wife and I first moved in to our house. I will tell you that everyone told us to get a dog. And We did. Now we have the Eastsidedog and my wife and I feel totally safe and we alsmot never worry about crime. :-)

Definitely check out the villages! There is definiely an incredible transformation going on!

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 76
Posted From: 68.40.195.233
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was raised NEAR IV (Berry Sub, Actually) and many of my boyhood friends lived in IV. I would agree with the posters who say crime isn't as bad in IV as in the rest of the city. Sure, petty crime is always a concern, but noone I know has ever gotten broken into. We're talking Oppertunistic car thefts. I'd say crime in IV seems comparable to Midtown. Get a kill switch/club and a dog and you'll be 100% AOK. My family, in Berry S has lived there for 23 years and the only crime we ever suffered was someone broke into our boat from the river and nabbed a microwave. One theft with damages less than $100 is NOTHING to worry about.

also, at U-M I met some football players from urban ohio... aparently some of them were highschool joy riding car thieves... they said CAR alarms are a joke... just an incentive to get moving faster... don't bother. They suggested that the only REAL inhibiters are Clubs (hard as hell to get through) and MORE importantly... Kill switches... they hated these things... And no, these guys no longer steal cars... (or so they claim) As long as they're reformed and give me tips, i'll forgive them. .andy.

Eastsidedog

Post Number: 468
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Get a kill switch/club and a dog and you'll be 100% AOK

Right on the mark. Don't underestimate the deterrence of a dog (preferrably a big one, but it's the noise criminals hate, even a smaller one is great to have). If you don't like dogs then that's too bad. You might want to give one a try! There's many that need homes!

Andylinn, I'd actually say crime is significantly higher in Midtown, especially in the corridor, where break-ins and muggings do occasionaly occur (I know I'm going to get reamed for this!). There has been much talk about crime in the cass corridor on this forum.

Dougw

Post Number: 1163
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Patrick, here's a pic of the tour booklet cover from this year.
IVA 2006 Tour Cover
If you're into Pewabic Tile or Arts & Crafts design, you missed the motherlode at 2910 Iroquois which was on the tour (and in this picture). Not an enormous house, but it has a ridiculous amount of pewabic tile in all of the bathrooms and fireplaces... possibly my personal favorite house in the village.

Ron
Username: Ron

Post Number: 168
Posted From: 66.174.79.226
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have to say that the characterizations of crime and the response time of DPD, while fairly accurate, are still subject to some bright spots.

In my childhood neighborhood, off 7 Mile and Southfield, a house across the street from my mothers' was recently rehabbed. The builder kept a ton of bricks outside, covered in a tarp, and not one was stolen over the course of about three weeks. And this house is one block over, on the corner, from a street with a heavy crack house problem. No "heads" were stealing any bricks. I was pleasantly surprised. (However, they are quick to "steal" furnaces and hot water tanks out of abandoned or burned out homes)

Additionally, a few years ago, there was a rash of break-ins in the neighborhood. One day, a neighbor's alarm went off, and DPD responded within TWO MINUTES, catching the crook inside the house. Problem solved. And this occurred in a neighborhood far less "secure" than IV.

Sorry to get off the IV topic, but just wanted to share some positive experiences on the crime issue.

Hysteria
Username: Hysteria

Post Number: 311
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That sure is an interesting old light fixture featured on the 2006 cover.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 1673
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quinn, thanks for that info. I'm pretty sure it's Lakeshore Realty (based in GP Farms, which is funny, because they don't market anything in GP). I'm gonna guess that the house is a bit over 5,000 sf, but I wouldn't know a thing just by looking. I'd buy based on the architecture of it alone, but I think a lot of people who buy on that side of Burns St. are going to want to know about the future of neighborhood that is behind them there. (i.e. I noticed the alley behind Burns between St. Paul and Kercheval was completely overgrown and unusable, and definitly a shady-looking area).

Dougw, that house was somethin' else, wasn't it? I was commenting on one of our Detroit connections threads about some of the houses. In terms of amount of Pewabic tile, the only house that would come close to that one is Mary Chase Perry-Stratton's 938 Three Mile in GPP, but that house was much different in that she and her husband, William Buck Stratton, designed it in a Mediterranean style.

Hysteria--the first thing the docent in the Foyer there said was "that is not an original fixture, but it sure does go well." ...that house had a very interesting layout, too, I'll add.

(Message edited by mackinaw on June 05, 2006)

Eastsidedog

Post Number: 469
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, the Pewabic house was unbelievable. The upstairs bathroom had like hundreds, maybe thousands of pewabic tiles. All the hallways, pewabic tile. Totally unbelievable! The mother lode is an understatement. Hope to add some pewabic to our modest kitchen one day...

The tour definitely inspires one to work on their home and garden!

Nice post Ron. Great response from the DPD does happen sometimes. But I have to say they are often a disappointment. Of course I've never had to deal with any really serious crime so it's no wonder they show up late if at all. To be honest I'd rather the cops focus on saving someones life over stopping a hunk of metal from getting stolen.

Hysteria
Username: Hysteria

Post Number: 312
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The light fixture reminds me of something you'd see in Ebenezer Scrooge's house in 'A Christmas Carol' ... the 1951 version.

Scrooge

Eastsidedog

Post Number: 474
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One thing I learned on the IV tour is that in old houses fern plants are all the rage. They are the preferred old house plant.

Patrick

Post Number: 3434
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can anyone tell me about a well-known Wayne State doctor/professor that was murdered at his front door in ther late 60's or early 70's? He may have lived on Seminole. I am not sure of the details, but someone knocked on his door while his wife was in the backyard, or his wife answered the door.

Quinn

Post Number: 741
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1039 Seminole a WSU Prof was murdered I beleive in the early 80's. I used to remember the story as told to me by the current owners, but alas too many cocktails later.

I do remember it being an attempted robbery and he didn't cooperate...

BTW, this house has recently been put on the market by Lakeshore realty. It's a fabulous Tudor Revival...one of the best in the neighborhood.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 1678
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, 7,000 sf for 550k. I saw that one on a broker reciprocity website, but I can't find 1012 Burns on that site (and I'm pretty sure it's being offered by Lakeshore as well).

Quinn

Post Number: 743
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The home used to be bigger. In late 80's, the servants wing burned down. Because they didn't need the space, they never rebuilt, just capped the home off. There is a deck that traces the old footprint.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 1680
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No kidding? Yeah there were a lot of renovations on the tour Saturday which involved tearing down walls in the servants quarters (Butler's pantries, especially).

Does the Village association ban additions to IV homes? It's not like most of these homes would need them, and most of these houses would look strange with an addition anyhow, but I'd like to know if they are formally banned? Also, do you know how the three or four horribly out of place ranch houses that dot the village were allowed by the association?

Eastsidedog

Post Number: 477
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mackinaw, they were built before the neighborhood was a historic district.

But that hasn't stopped the McMansion from being built up on Burns (how did that get built?).

Mackinaw

Post Number: 1681
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

is it Burns? It might be another street but I've seen that. Does the historic district end at Mack? The mcmansion is just beyond Charlevoix.

Quinn

Post Number: 744
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HA funny you ask that about those ranch homes given our discussion about 1012 Burns.

The current owners (of 1012 B) are second generation residents there (their son makes it 3 generations). His father headed a development firm that basically built those homes at spec so there wouldn't be "holes" in the village. Apparently nobody would buy the land.

At the time they looked good, and as eastside says, before the historic district was created.

The developments were heavily hyped by the local press...if you search through the IVA stuff at the Burton Collection you'll come across the stories.

Additions? I'm sure it depends on what you want to add on and the design/size. I know a number of carriage houses have been built in the last 10 years...those have space above that is liveable.

Our neighbors just added a 3 season porch on the back of their house. We have plans for a small addition to the kitchen that would improve traffic flow around the house. If they have a problem with that when we proceed (not for years...it's more of a want than need) I'll pull my hair out screaming.

Eastsidedog

Post Number: 478
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes it ends at Mack.

It's really wierd looking in the context of the IV neighborhood. I mean it's OK for a McMansion but still, it is what it is. Empty lots are a real bummer, it's really hard to get good stuff built on them.

Quinn

Post Number: 745
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The McMansion is on Seminole between Charlevoix and Goethe.

Long story short, the guy didn't build what was approved, the village association sued to halt construction and lost. The presiding Judge, Giovan (sp?) famously said in his remarks in the verdict that he's always dreamed of living in the village...that one of his favourie streets is Parker.

hahahahahah. Of course that's heresay.

Quinn

Post Number: 746
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTW I hope Bob Cosgrove gets on here to comment. I'm 99% sure of everything I'm saying...he's the expert and I would defer to him!

Bob?

Mackinaw

Post Number: 1682
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the insights. I agree, unfortunately Bob has been missing from here.

That's funny about the ranches, and funnier that they were hyped in the press as a sign of development.

The renovation of the Buhl estate carriage house was top notch...that's a great rentable space.

Eastsidedog

Post Number: 479
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quinn, yes Parker is a gorgeous street. That's too bad the association lost. Why the heck someone would want to live in a McMansion in IV is beyond me... on what grounds did the historic assoc. lose?

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 77
Posted From: 68.40.195.233
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

does anyone have a picture of this mcmansion? I have prob. seen it before, but need to jog my memory. thx. .andy.

Livedog2
Username: Livedog2

Post Number: 333
Posted From: 24.223.133.177
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is it true that George Perrot of the television show World Adventure Series lived in Indian Village? And, if so, what was his address?

Livedog2

Dougw

Post Number: 1165
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 6:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would also defer to Bob Cosgrove as the historian, but I have some limited knowledge on this as I became involved with the IVA at the end of the McMansion litigation. Basically, Quinn is correct with the important details of the case. (Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, etc.)

I wouldn't consider the case a total loss, as much was learned during the course of the case which would help the IVA have a much better chance of winning the next time, if a next time ever happened. And from what I understand the decision was not precedent-setting. Also, the fact that the litigation halted construction for a few years was a victory of sorts, effectively giving notice that anyone attempting to build new while ignoring the Elements of Design might want to reconsider, as they will be in for some major hassles and delays.

Patrick

Post Number: 3436
Posted From: 75.9.241.151
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Boston Edison has a POS McMansion next to the Briggs mansion. Complete waste of land! And even then, the builder didn’t follow code and got away with it. Pathetic. A older guy I worked with drove George Perrot home many times from Sinbads or the Roostertail. This was well before my time though. I was actually shocked at how nice the current state of Indian Village is compared to Boston Edison’s current situation.

Patrick

Post Number: 3437
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 8:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am still waiting for the Arcadia book by Brunk and Cosgrove to come out. I am note sure if Bob is still part of that project or not. Even so, when it is done, it will be one of the best Arcadia books on the area.

Patrick

Post Number: 3439
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Text description

Patrick

Post Number: 3440
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The pic above is the “McMansion” you are talking about. I took it last year on the tour. One of the asshats at the construction site got pissed at me taking pics. Yeah, guess he was trying to keep it real. Actually, it is a handsome house, I must say. By no means, a neo-Tudor, but does it qualify as a McMansion??

Mackinaw

Post Number: 1683
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Borderline Mcmansion. Pretty uninspired.

In Grosse Pointe Farms, on streets like Lothrop and Stephens mainly (where the original stock of housing was about 90 percent bland 1950s stuff, since this area was subdivided later than much of the rest of the area), there is a decent amount of ongoing building of new homes. Now, I still believe the exterior--and most of the interior--materials suck ass on these homes, but they are harkening back to more traditional styles (i.e. Dutch Colonial or neo-Tudor) for the most part, and because of this I cannot call them mcmansions. Some thought is being put into these homes, and they are not repititive.

Harsensis
Username: Harsensis

Post Number: 55
Posted From: 71.227.102.82
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 12:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If they keep it up on Lothrop all of the 50's ranches will be gone. Two more just went on the market at Ridge, I wonder if those will remain? That Lothrop land is valuable, at least 5 new houses just in the last year. I wonder what the latest one will look like, they just poured the basement on that one.

Motorcitymayor2026
Username: Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 897
Posted From: 24.231.189.137
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 12:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would not complain about that "McMansion" going up in Detroit. It looks better than the 40,000 abandoned lots, and looks better than many active city and suburban homes

The_aram
Username: The_aram

Post Number: 4937
Posted From: 68.41.124.8
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 12:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That isn't a McMansion.

Quinn

Post Number: 747
Posted From: 64.139.64.80
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 9:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It isn't a McMansion but our (or the village's) complaints were sound.

Why would or should we let someone build something completely different than what was approved? He moved the house on the lot several feet to one side and cut down a hundred year old tree. If the Village didn't stand up to this then waht point is there being designated a historical district?

Ilovedetroit
Username: Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 2300
Posted From: 63.149.5.130
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 9:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is ugly and doesn't fit the character of IVA.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 509
Posted From: 172.133.170.235
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mackinaw asked about approvals for additions to homes in IV.

Indian Village, like dozens of other neighborhoods in Detroit, is designated under a city ordinance and a state law as a local historic district. Additions to homes must be approved by the Historic District Commission. The neighborhood association does not have authority to approve or reject proposed additions (or demolitions) but it can file a court appeal of any decision of the Historic District Commission that it believes doesn't follow the laws that limit or control the design of proposed additions.

As for the new house on Seminole, an IV resident told me that as the construction progressed, the new owner kept making major deviations from plans that had been approved by the HDC and supported by the IV association. These unilateral and unapproved changes then prompted some extended litigation. Apparently the owner was using a general contractor who operated his entire office out of his 15 year old pickup truck. Not a real smart hiring choice when it comes to 3000 sq. ft. houses being built in a historic district.

I think that the design of the new house in IV, despite its obvious plan book origins and the absence of any input from an architect, has not turned out to be the abomination that some feared would happen. The litigation, while apparently not successful on all of the design issues, no doubt helped improve the end result. The new home echoes the neo-traditional designs of the original homes in IV.

The new home does have obvious aesthetic problems though, and they relate to the roof. The footprint of the house is quite large because it has an attached 3 car garage on the rear. It can be seen that in order to enclose the footprint of the house with a simple hip roof, the roof became very tall and enclosed a huge volume. It is unbroken by any dormers and makes the home very top heavy. You can't really see this from the photo above but it is very apparent when you approach the house from the north or the south. This has no doubt resulted from budget limitations, but also from code restrictions. Almost all original IV homes have third floor living spaces in addition to unfinished attic space. But because of fire safety concerns, modern building codes for new construction make it very difficult and expensive to put finished spaces on third floors. Hence, we get the sprawling McMansion designs that can only spread the square footage over two floors and need the big roofs. If the owners have a sufficient budget, they go for the roof design that has some varying lines and intricacies. If the budget isn’t there, you get the new IV house that has very poor scale. Owners who have budget limitations figure, why pay for dormers and more expensive roof engineering when the space can never be legally finished and occupied? It would be nice if the building codes could better accommodate third floor spaces in single family residential construction.

(Message edited by swingline on June 06, 2006)

Eastsidedog

Post Number: 481
Posted From: 12.47.224.7
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Swingline, great post. Thanks for explaining the situation with third floors and dormers. I definitely agree that a lower roof and dormers would make it look way better. Is it just that, in the case of a fire, is it too far to jump from a third story window?

I also think the entrance sucks. It's totally got the big vaginal front entrance so popular on McMansions.

But hey, at least no garage faces the street.

Fortuantely, IV has almost no empty lots. This is a huge asset. Rebuilding from scratch is a bitch.

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 768
Posted From: 68.76.202.10
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I also think the entrance sucks. It's totally got the big vaginal front entrance so popular on McMansions."

-Eastsidedog

------------------------------ -------------------

I just blew coffee all over my desk! That killed me because it's just so true!

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 879
Posted From: 208.39.170.90
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder just what kind of blown-out vaginas you guys have been looking at...

Eastsidedog

Post Number: 483
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eric_c, it's so true isn't it! McMansion shoppers must have some kind of yonic obsession or something. Maybe they don't get laid? Or wanna run home to mommy where it's safe... back in the womb! :-)

McMansion

Patrick

Post Number: 3441
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

By looking at the front of the house, it doesn’t look all that bad. If the roofline were lower and perhaps add a chimney on the left side. Then it would look balanced. Those Roman-style windows on the bottom-floor need to go. Totally mess up the vibe.

Quinn

Post Number: 751
Posted From: 64.139.64.80
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The big "vaginal front" is so you can clearly see the "crystal" and brass chandelier inside lighting the oak staircase, tan carpet and miles of white drywall.

Oh and an indoor waterfall system...

ds

Mackinaw

Post Number: 1689
Posted From: 70.233.3.2
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks for the informative post, Swingline.

At least this new home does not have a garage door facing the road. That is the ultimate high sin against home architecture that typifies new suburban building since 1950.

Eastsidedog

Post Number: 486
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The big "vaginal front" is so you can clearly see the "crystal" and brass chandelier inside lighting the oak staircase, tan carpet and miles of white drywall.

No Quinn, I really think it's more psychological. McMansion owners want to go back to the womb, er subdivision, where it's safe.

Patrick

Post Number: 3442
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Clearly, there shouldn’t be limits to what a homeowner can do on the interior of his or her home. I am willing to bet at least a third of all the grand homes in Indian Village have areas of their interior that has been messed with. Oak panels that have been painted purple, shag carper over hardwood floors, vinyl windows in replacement of stained/leaded windows.

There was a Detroit News article about the largest home in IV. I think it is on Seminole and takes up two lots….the red bricked Georgian that was a monastery of sorts and a boarding house. What do the owners do to the beautiful wooden paneling??? They paint it blue. Yep, like something straight out of the 70s.

The worst is hideous white vinyl windows replacing the beautiful leaded ones. Come on folks, at least get black windows instead. Look at the Dodge daughter mansion’s windows. Damn.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 511
Posted From: 172.164.205.38
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Over the years, lots of woodwork in Indian Village got painted. It's hard to think of a circumstance where it could be considered an improvement, but those were the times. Painting over stained woodwork in the postwar mid-century time period was a product of the modernist movement. Architects of the day disdained ornament and aggressively pursued purity of form in their designs. Similar rejections of tradition occurred in art, music and fashion. As modernism permeated the mid century culture, what could the everyday homeowner living in a 1920's house do to keep up with the times? Simple, get rid of the pretty, frilly ornamental objects of everyday living that signified being stuck in the old fashioned past. Result: lots of woodwork painted white.

It's a bitch to undo, buts of lots of IV homeowners have struggled through it.

Patrick

Post Number: 3443
Posted From: 69.209.164.8
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can only dream of ever owning a home in Indian Village. The costs are so staggering. It seems like you have to earn 6 figures to own anything there.

Dougw

Post Number: 1169
Posted From: 68.73.202.124
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 11:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Back to the house on Seminole... I don't want to make it sound like a total disaster. The brick is nice, it's sort of a colonial shape from the front, and its overall size is not too far out of place with the rest of the neighborhood, compared with the 1-story ranch homes that were built in the 50's. (I don't really even mind the little arches on the 1st floor windows much.)

I have to agree with Eastsidedog about the 2-story entrance arch, though... totally cheesy and a McMansion cliche. You don't see that on any other house in the village (or any other house built before 1990 for that matter). And swingline makes good points about the roof. The roof is actually makes the house considerably taller than any other on the block... one of the aforementioned deviations that were made which broke with the original plans.

So all around the house is a mixed bag, but it's definitely in the long-term interest of the neighborhood to enforce its historic standards where it can. And there are lots of non-historic neighborhoods to build in if you don't want to deal with that.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.