Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Detroit Festival of the Arts « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 819
Posted From: 68.60.177.56
Posted on Sunday, June 04, 2006 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't wait, but I want to know. What kind of mean, soulless, sadistic bastard person would schedule Bettye Lavette and Richard Thompson at the same damn time?

Festival season, hooray!

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2248
Posted From: 4.229.81.115
Posted on Sunday, June 04, 2006 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm glad that they moved the festival from September to June.

Note to myself: "STAY AWAY FROM THE PEWABIC POTTERY BOOTH! JUST WALK AWAY...."

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 822
Posted on Sunday, June 04, 2006 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice try. The Royal Oak Glass and Clay fest is coming up...

Haydenth
Username: Haydenth

Post Number: 94
Posted From: 68.252.5.167
Posted on Sunday, June 04, 2006 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm psyched for Detroit Festival of Arts. The stage for bands is about 300 feet from my apartment window. No sleep for me!

Merchantgander
Username: Merchantgander

Post Number: 1854
Posted From: 150.198.150.244
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 7:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The stage for bands is about 300 feet from my apartment window. No sleep for me!

Do you work midnights, because normally the music is done by 11:00.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1092
Posted From: 198.208.159.18
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 8:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the festival arts is a great event for the city and the neighborhood, but to be perfectly honest, its never been a "must-do" for me *shrugs*

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 5824
Posted From: 70.236.198.22
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This one is...weren't they talking it up on the Afropop program on WDET Saturday as the LARGEST World Music gathering in North America?!

I'm getting pretty excited about it, the more I hear about it on the radio.

Quickdrawmcgraw
Username: Quickdrawmcgraw

Post Number: 57
Posted From: 63.77.247.130
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just talked to the volunteer manager Alice Stone. She could use some more volunteers. You can email @ dfavolunteers@yahoo.com.

I am working the merchandising booth for my 4th time.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 3435
Posted From: 69.219.20.142
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

link:
http://detroitfestival.com/06/

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1351
Posted From: 140.244.107.151
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon: I think they are referring to the Concert of Colors as the largest world music event in North America. (http://www.arabamericannews.co m/newsarticle.php?articleid=53 75)

Nonetheless...the Detroit Festival of the Arts is a great event. If you've never attended, you should check it out. I've been introduced to some really terrific groups through this festival.

BTW...Thornetta Davis is playing at the Festival on Saturday, June 10 at 5:30. Dave will be on the drums.

Gannon

Post Number: 5829
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathleen,

You're right...I knew I had it wrong but didn't take the time to look it up.

I'll be in front of that stage on Saturday...

Harmonie
Username: Harmonie

Post Number: 585
Posted From: 198.109.32.15
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will be out of town and it really pisses me off:-(

Kathleen

Post Number: 1352
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

See you there, Gannon!!!

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2249
Posted From: 4.229.105.75
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For those of you who always wanted to get a chance to visit the Hecker-Smiley Mansion (that French Chateau style house just north of the DIA), or the Charles Lang Freer House next door (where the Smithsonian's Freer Gallery art collection used to reside... including the famous "Peacock Room")....

...the Preservation Wayne Mansion Tours is the way to see these famous 19th century homes. Tickets are (IIRC) about $6 per mansion. Not sure if the Beecher Mansion (across from Hecker-Smiley on the west side of Woodward... directly on Woodward) is available for tours this year.

There are regular tours for these stately homes the weekend of the festival. No reservations needed.

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 251
Posted From: 69.212.45.63
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a multi-page advertisment for the Festival inserted in the New York Times yesterday. Lots of advertisers. Made it look like a fun thing to attend.

Kathleen

Post Number: 1353
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's the info on Preservation Wayne's Ferry Street tours during the Festival of the Arts:

Saturday & Sunday, June 10 & 11, 2006
Departs regularly from 1-4 PM
During Detroit Festival of the Arts
Meeting Location: Preservation Wayne Tent near East Kirby and Woodward Ave
$10 per person

Get a special insider’s look at the magnificent mansions of East Ferry Avenue, one of Detroit’s most significant residential streets. As one of the first regular tours presented by Preservation Wayne, and now offered annually during the Detroit Festival of the Arts, this behind-closed-doors tour takes you inside the beautiful, historic Beecher, Hecker-Smiley, and Freer houses.

Tours meet at the Preservation Wayne tent on East Kirby, between Woodward Avenue and John R.

Tickets: $10 per person; $8 for Preservation Wayne members, seniors and students. Payment by cash, check, MasterCard or Visa is accepted.

Please note: Tours usually last between two and three hours. Tours depart rain or shine, so please check the weather and dress appropriately. Tour group size is limited and space is available on a first come first served basis. For tour groups of 10 or more, reservations are required. Call us at (313) 577-7674 for more information.

Cultural Center Walking Tour
Join us for a walking tour of the Cultural Center on Saturday mornings at 10am. Meet at the Cass Ave. entrance of the Detroit Public Library. $10/person. You'll be amazed at the art and architectural history you've been missing!!!!

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 223
Posted From: 4.229.72.233
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 6:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm planning to go on the Ferry St. tour. Are any forumers going to be tour guides?

Detourdetroit
Username: Detourdetroit

Post Number: 218
Posted From: 69.212.214.100
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dear Forumers:

Preservation Wayne Tours in the Cultural Center area during Festival of the Arts...

This year we will offer the regular Saturday tours of the Cultural Center (meeting at the Main Library) and Midtown (meeting at Avalon) commencing at 10 a.m.

We will have a booth during the Festival but our Ferry Avenue tour will be limited to the former Hecker-Smiley house (for maybe the last time!) on Saturday, June 10 and Sunday, June 11 between 1 and 4 p.m. - tix are $10. We will also provide a self-guided tour brochure at our booth...thanks!!!

http://preservationwayne.org/t ours.php

Gannon

Post Number: 5842
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bump, only a few more days!

See my request for volunteers on the Connections side...

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 2847
Posted From: 69.47.100.44
Posted on Wednesday, June 07, 2006 - 2:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw the Festival last year and thought it was great. My main highlight was hearing Thornetta Davis (John Penney introduced her to the crowds) sing. What a great show and what a great thing to do in the area.

Gannon

Post Number: 5886
Posted on Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bump, so this doesn't get lost...

Kathleen

Post Number: 1357
Posted From: 69.14.122.57
Posted on Friday, June 09, 2006 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bump..the Festival is underway!!!

Fho
Username: Fho

Post Number: 44
Posted From: 68.85.149.176
Posted on Saturday, June 10, 2006 - 3:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's so nice to see the city looking the way it does when people come out for these events. I actually expected to see more people there with such clear skies, but perhaps the morning's work kept people away. If anyone is there tomorrow check out the band Children Of The Revolution. They were quite good tonight.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 2888
Posted From: 69.47.100.44
Posted on Saturday, June 10, 2006 - 3:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is it me or does there seem to be more out of town artists displaying their wares than ever before??

Not that it's a bad thing.

Ddaydave
Username: Ddaydave

Post Number: 422
Posted From: 67.149.185.244
Posted on Saturday, June 10, 2006 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went today It was ok but for the DIA throwing an art fair I would expect to see more artist.
There seemed to almost as many food and drink stands as art stands..

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 642
Posted From: 68.42.78.219
Posted on Saturday, June 10, 2006 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jeebus the food requires alot of tickets. This is probably the best turn out that I've ever seen at this fest. I'm wondering if the Superbowl actually enlightened people about the city.

Kathleen

Post Number: 1360
Posted From: 69.14.122.57
Posted on Saturday, June 10, 2006 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ddaydave: The Festival of the Arts is produced by the University Cultural Center Association and Wayne State University. The DIA allows the Festival to use its lawn, and they participate by offering free admission and additional programs for kids (much like their Friday Night programs), but they don't produce it. If you look at the list of artists on the Festival website, I think you'll see that the ratio of artists to food vendors is probably 3 to 1 or even 4 to 1.

Tetsua: Interesting...we thought the turnout late this afternoon was lighter than in past years. But the new layout might make the comparison of foot traffic less accurate.

Wish I could have come earlier and stayed longer, but thoroughly enjoyed Bettye Lavette, The Tartan Terrors, and, of course, Thornetta Davis.

The Detroit Festival of the Arts is one of the best events around. Well worth the time and money!!! (Free admission, but it's easy to spend on the food and drink and arts and crafts!!!) Great to see several Forumers there tonight!!!

(Message edited by Kathleen on June 10, 2006)

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 856
Posted on Sunday, June 11, 2006 - 1:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a wonderful day. Richard Thompson played one of the best sets I've seen, with nearly every guitarist in Detroit in adoring attendance. Wow. Incredible. Fantastic.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 439
Posted From: 68.43.107.72
Posted on Sunday, June 11, 2006 - 4:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Odu was oustanding!

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 239
Posted From: 63.41.42.83
Posted on Sunday, June 11, 2006 - 8:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I enjoyed the Hecker House tour. Thanks to the friendly Pres. Wayne folks working there.

Gannon

Post Number: 5896
Posted on Sunday, June 11, 2006 - 9:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bumping into folks I knew everywhere I turned in this sea of recognizeable faces, the second highlight of yesterday was encountering the Music Maze in the children's section.

Doesn't sound like much...a couple of bamboo structures with 'found' instuments hanging throughout...mebbe a bevy of cymbals and tambourines lying nearby...and a central bamboo rig that upon close inspection has each of it's four legs strung with single-wire resonant instruments.

I guess, other than the day-and-a-half of six-person labor, it IS not really much...until you add the random energy of about thirty children (and the occasional free-radical adult)...THEN this 'thing' becomes an cacophony of curiosity, a bee-hive of creativity...an artcestra. It is a beautiful experiment of innocent discovery yielding what may be a child's first public display of accumulated musical self-expression.

Exactly what designer Michael Bashaw intended when he and his partner Sandy Kreitzer thought it up. They were invited to build a Music Maze for the Festival a number of years ago, and Festival manager Ngia's husband Yao became his apprentice. This year he returned, leaving his native Dayton and two major corporate-deadlined musical-sculpture projects, for what he called a day-vacation to Detroit.

I hope that Yao is leading the artcestra today when I wander by...after spending Thursday with him I know it'll be a symphony of joy.

Oh yeah, the first highlight yesterday?!

Thornetta sang for us again...made us think, laugh, dance, sing...and flash our black drawers at her. Anyone who hasn't yet witnessed this Blues Diva is missing out on one of Detroit's greatest musical treasures...she is a magnetic force that draws the best out of those who share her space.

Out in the open on that big sunlit stage...her space seemed boundless. Certainly the same lovely lady with the same group of amazing musicians...but it was easier to see the effects of her gift outside some small, smokey hall in the drunken deep of night. Perhaps because I KNOW what she does to night-crawling blues lovers...it was easier to see how she affects everybody else...and it just helped confirm a few notions.

MUCH love to you, Thornetta, thanks.

(Message edited by Gannon on June 11, 2006)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.