Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Garfield building « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Designut
Username: Designut

Post Number: 1
Posted From: 69.246.46.45
Posted on Friday, June 02, 2006 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've lived in the Garfield lofts (4600 woodward)for 2 yrs and have always wondered what the building originally served as. It's an Albert Kahn building, the first 2 floors of which were built in 1908, with 3 subsequent floors added in 1914. It was originally the Edwin S. George building, (named for the man who commissioned it, colonel edwin s. george)and became the garfield building when the other 3 floors were added. Aside from this information, I haven't been able to find much. any info or pics would be greatly appreciated.
thanks.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 612
Posted From: 207.200.116.139
Posted on Friday, June 02, 2006 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't know much about the building, but I found Edwin S. George on four census reports. The first, in 1900, shows him with his new bride ("Married 0 years") Bessie living on Vinewood Street in Detroit. He states he was born September 1873 in Pennsylvania, and he is a furrier by trade. There is one servant in the household.

Edwin S. George appears with his wife Bessie in the 1910 U.S. Census as living in Bloomfield Township. There are two servants in the home. He was born in 1871 and lists his occupation as "Retail Merchant".

In 1920, he has moved into Detroit and resides at 44 W. Kirby. Would that be the side of your building? Anyway, Bessie is still there, and now they have two young daughters, Priscilla and Bessie. For occupation, he states "none", and there are four servants in the household.

The 1930 census finds him back in Bloomfield Township with Bessie and his daughters, now 12 and 14 years old. He lives on "Lake Road", and there is a servant's house on the property with a family of three serving his needs. He now lists his occupation as "Agent, Real Estate". He values his home, which he owns, at 300k, not to shabby for 1930 dollars.

(Message edited by Ray1936 on June 02, 2006)

Hysteria
Username: Hysteria

Post Number: 300
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Friday, June 02, 2006 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Garfield Building
4612 Woodward Avenue
Previous Name: Edwin S. George Building

Historic overview:

The Garfield Building is associated with the development of Woodward Avenue, Detroit's major thoroughfare, and the expansion of the City of Detroit into the automotive capital of the nation. The original owner, Edwin S. George, was an auto enthusiast, who by 1914 was known as the largest owner of Woodward frontage.

At the time when George began accumulating land on Woodward, it was considered to be far from the city center. In 1908, architect Albert Kahn constructed the Edwin S. George Building as a two-story building. The majority of its first tenants were involved in the auto industry as parts suppliers and manufacturer. The three upper stories were added in 1914, and the name of the building was referred to as the Garfield Building shortly thereafter. George was a director of the Board of Commerce and an advocate of the "good roads movement". He also helped found the Automobile Club of Detroit. George sold the building in 1942 to a property investment company.

The Garfield Building became home to Wayne County Community College in the 1970s, and currently contains a drug store and loft style apartments. The Garfield Building illustrates the breadth of architect Albert Kahn's practice. It shows that he designed not only large significant industrial and office buildings, but also modest commercial buildings. Additionally, it shows that he applied decorative finishes to essentially industrial buildings so they could be used in non-industrial settings.

The Garfield Building is one of the last examples of early 20th century commercial architecture on Woodward in Detroit's Cultural Center.

www.ci.detroit.mi.us/historic/ districts/garfield_bldg.pdf

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1219
Posted From: 63.41.8.68
Posted on Friday, June 02, 2006 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's what was in the neighborhood in 1921, a Dodge dealer at the corner across Garfield, and down Canfield in the middle of the block was the DPD Women's Detention Home. The Garfield Bldg is that blacked out bldg, so I can't get any details from it.

A recent photo of it can be found here Garfield Building.

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 612
Posted From: 68.42.78.219
Posted on Saturday, June 03, 2006 - 12:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What up Designut, I live in the Garfield too. What floor are you on? Holla at me

Pistonian_revolution
Username: Pistonian_revolution

Post Number: 5
Posted From: 69.136.139.115
Posted on Saturday, June 03, 2006 - 12:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

im so jealous of you folks that live in the garfield. i went on a tour of the available units but they're way too pricey for me- i'm a student at wayne. i just love the building.

Designut
Username: Designut

Post Number: 2
Posted From: 69.246.46.45
Posted on Sunday, June 04, 2006 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks to all for the info. as a side note, the bloomfield twp. home to which the 1930 census refers, (see Ray's post) later became what is now the beautiful gothic-style "kirk in the hills" church on long lake rd. (apparently it used to be called lake road)

Tetsua- 2nd floor on the woodward side above the ccs gallery annex...how about you?

also- if anyone has any historic photos of garfield i'd love to see them
thanks

(Message edited by designut on June 04, 2006)

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 617
Posted From: 68.42.78.219
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 12:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live on the 5th, at the John R side. Shoot me an e-mail at wthornton14@comcast.net

Saruthma
Username: Saruthma

Post Number: 46
Posted From: 68.60.160.65
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 1:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From the Kirk website (www.kirkinthehills.org): "The sanctuary is situated at the east end of Cedarholm, which was the home of Colonel Edwin S. George, whose gift of his home and estate in 1947 made the Kirk possible. As early as 1933 he saw the need for a church in this area and established the George Foundation for the purpose. The congregation was organized by the Presbytery of Detroit in 1947, and the first services were held that year in Cedarholm Chapel. The cornerstone for the church was laid in 1951, the same year Colonel George died. His remains are entombed under the Narthex of the Kirk's sanctuary. "

Built in 1923.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2251
Posted From: 4.229.105.75
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome to the Forum Designut!!

For those folks lucky enough to have W. Hawkins Ferry's THE BUILDINGS OF DETROIT BOOK (1980 edition).... go check out picture plates #300 (just the George House) and #320 (Kirk-in-the-Hills with the house incorporated into it).

Look at the 2 small dormer windows in the roof in both pics... that is how to compare the before and after pictures.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.