Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Midtown Auto Repair « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Haydenth
Username: Haydenth

Post Number: 63
Posted From: 67.107.50.35
Posted on Wednesday, May 31, 2006 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can anyone recommend a good auto repair place in downtown or midtown?

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 1862
Posted From: 129.9.163.106
Posted on Wednesday, May 31, 2006 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do a search. This question get asked every month or so.

<------------- search forum.

Haydenth

Post Number: 64
Posted on Wednesday, May 31, 2006 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I did search and didn't find anything. I did Auto AND repair and just got a bunch of results about mass transit. I will try again! Thanks.

Belleislerunner
Username: Belleislerunner

Post Number: 264
Posted From: 68.33.62.174
Posted on Wednesday, May 31, 2006 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always take my car to Jefferson Chevrolet - granted I have a GM car and there's a shuttle to ferry me to the Ren Cen. They've always been sound. The Firestone on W Grand Blvd/Woodward does fine minor work.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 107
Posted From: 69.221.36.110
Posted on Wednesday, May 31, 2006 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Downtown Mobil, on Michigan Avenue a couple of blocks west of Tiger Stadium, south side of the street. It's not actually a Mobil station. Ask for a guy named Sam Zammit, he's a good guy doing honest, reasonably priced work. If you have major problems involving deep diagnostics and all kinds of space-age technology, I don't know if they have the equipment for that (although they may,) but I think that if they can't handle the job, Sam will be honest enough to tell you so, and would probably have a recommendation. The joint doesn't look like much, but don't be fooled by the appearance.

Thelionking
Username: Thelionking

Post Number: 1
Posted From: 207.148.194.249
Posted on Wednesday, May 31, 2006 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Downtown Mobil is the best! I highly recommend it.

Gumby
Username: Gumby

Post Number: 1198
Posted From: 68.60.143.186
Posted on Wednesday, May 31, 2006 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

James Martin Chevy sucks, my car got broken ito while at their lot and they were like "not our fault", eventhough the lot specifically claims to be video monitored (it is not).

Islandman
Username: Islandman

Post Number: 186
Posted From: 68.42.171.59
Posted on Wednesday, May 31, 2006 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Service Tire Co
2737 W Vernor Hwy
Detroit, MI 48216-1597
(313) 237-0050

I've used them 3 times after asking for a recommendation. Their service has been great.

Ravine

Post Number: 110
Posted on Wednesday, May 31, 2006 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thelionking: Hey Sam, how ya doin'. (Just kidding.)

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 757
Posted From: 68.76.202.10
Posted on Wednesday, May 31, 2006 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What the hell does video monitoring have to do with your car getting broken into, Gumby? Was it the dealerships fault your car was targeted?

Would YOU pay MY deductible if MY car were stolen from YOUR driveway?!

I don't mean to stir shit, but come on!

Gumby

Post Number: 1199
Posted on Wednesday, May 31, 2006 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't fucking put up a sign if it isn't true. I did not ask them to pay for it, it was the fact that they didn't even apologize just blamed me for putting in their lot after they closed. Like I had a choice it was broke down and I had to have it towed somewhere.

If you don't want to stir shit then shut up. I love when people say shit like that "I don't want to hurt your feelings, but...", "No offense, but.." Bull Shit you are perfectly fine stirring shit up.

Gumby

Post Number: 1200
Posted on Wednesday, May 31, 2006 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Plus he said it is something that happens quite often. Perhaps if they want to protect their customers from this happening and thus having repeat customers they would do something about this. Perhaps post a security guard outside at night. Just an idea.

Eric_c

Post Number: 758
Posted on Wednesday, May 31, 2006 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You know something, Gumby? You're wrong. I don't like shit-stirring. By the same token, I have no problem calling out bullshit.

It's really too bad about your car, but you're trashing a reputable local auto dealer for no reason. I promise you the poor place is burglarized brutally and that they put up signs to keep a certain segment of the thieves away and protect themselves. There is no way anyone could have prevented the break-in of your car - not you, not the dealership. You left it out in the open and that's what happened.

I guess all I'm sayin' is that in this instance, you sound like a typical bitter asshole with no ground to stand on.

Sorry to stir shit, just callin' bullshit.

Ravine

Post Number: 112
Posted on Wednesday, May 31, 2006 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gumby: You've a right to be pissed off. The responsible thing for the shop to do is to either haul your car inside, or advise you of the risks involved in keeping it in their lot overnight. Posting a self-absolving (and, from what you say, dishonest) sign may hold up in a legal way, but it's still a weak-ass way to avoid coming right out and saying, "If your shit gets f'ed with on our property, don't look at us, 'cause we don't care, and it's your fault anyway." And Eric should butt out. It wasn't his car that got dogged.

Eric_c

Post Number: 759
Posted From: 69.212.172.29
Posted on Wednesday, May 31, 2006 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, but it was something that I deal with routinely at the dealership where I work, less than two miles away, so I feel I'm in an excellent position to give experienced perspective!

Bottom line: if your vehicle is vandalized, broken into or stolen, YOU alone are responsible for the fallout. It's COMMON SENSE!

Sounds to me as if Gumby used after-hours drop-off because he said the vehicle had to be towed somewhere. He parked at HIS OWN RISK! What would cameras have done anyway?!

And Ravine should butt the FUCK out. Don't give bitter individuals with no ground any help in bashing a good local businesses.

I'm done thread-jacking, but everyone should feel confident with buying and servicing their Chevy's at Martin - they're a good operation.

(Message edited by Eric C. on May 31, 2006)

Dpd_blue
Username: Dpd_blue

Post Number: 145
Posted From: 141.217.57.250
Posted on Wednesday, May 31, 2006 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Campus Auto on the e. grand blvd and Brush, does a good job. They work on Wayne States Police cars.

Gumby

Post Number: 1201
Posted on Thursday, June 01, 2006 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eric_c you are obviously stirring shit. I woudn't go to your dealership either if this is the way you treat the customers. Ravine is right you should but the fuck out. I was just sharing a bad experience I had with a midtown auto repair place, what we can only talk about the good now? I am not bitter and never asked for them to compensate me I just wanted a more compasionate response. Customer service seems to be dead these days mainly because of attitudes like yours. And by the way it is not my fault my car was broken into it was the asshole who did its fault, there were novaluables in plain sight(or in the car for that matter) and it was on a highly traveled road within a short distance to the 13th precinct. Cameras are a detterant and you know it, would it be a hundred percent safe? no but don't advertise something you don't have. Nice way to blame the victim you arrogant prick.

Thelionking
Username: Thelionking

Post Number: 2
Posted From: 207.148.209.229
Posted on Thursday, June 01, 2006 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

@Ravine - Funny...

I'm not Sam, but I found out that my brother-in-law went to high school with Sam.

Eric_c

Post Number: 760
Posted on Thursday, June 01, 2006 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gumby said:

"I was just sharing a bad experience I had with a midtown auto repair place, what we can only talk about the good now?"

Haydenth asked:

"Can anyone recommend a good auto repair place in downtown or midtown?"

This simple example, along with your inability to grasp the concept that a business does not "suck" just because your vehicle was broken into on their property, demonstrates you have difficulty with basic comprehension.

AGAIN, VERY SLOWLY: YOU TOOK A CHANCE WHEN YOU LEFT YOUR CAR PARKED OUT IN THE OPEN AND UNSUPERVISED (CAMERAS OR NOT). THE BUSINESS IS IN NO WAY RESPONSIBLE. YOU ARE UNNECESSARILY DEGRADING A COMPANY WHICH HAS PROVIDED QUALITY SERVICE TO AN UNDERSERVED COMMUNITY FOR YEARS.

AGAIN: I'm sorry about your break-in, but YOU took the risk. No one held your hand or offered you a hug, so now you're all bitter over YOUR "customer service." AGAIN: I'm sorry about your break-in, but YOU took the risk.

Gumby's original post added nothing to the topic to begin with, and in my defending the reputable business he trashed, all that's happened is the thread has been spoiled.

My appologies to all who have wasted their time reading this. If nothing else, it has allowed those who may have originally read Gumby's opinion and taken it to heart the opportunity to get a closer look at the source of these obtuse comments. That is to assume they care.

Haydenth

Post Number: 65
Posted on Thursday, June 01, 2006 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Geez. I didn't mean to create a flame post. Anyway, thanks for the heads up on some local places guys. It's hard to find small local places like this on the web and sometimes you gotta get input from your neighbors.

Fozzy3
Username: Fozzy3

Post Number: 3
Posted From: 68.42.79.80
Posted on Thursday, June 01, 2006 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really like J&L on Cass, it's an import shop, but I think they do domestic as well. Some say they overcharge but I have never experienced that in the 8 years I've been going there. They have always been 100% honest with me.

Eastside
Username: Eastside

Post Number: 870
Posted From: 68.42.174.187
Posted on Thursday, June 01, 2006 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eric c is not so much defending what he calls a "reputable business" as much as he is biased because he works at a dealership.
Gumby's experience fits into my experience of dealerships looking to avoid costs and/or responsibilities at every turn.

Eric_c

Post Number: 761
Posted on Thursday, June 01, 2006 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eric_c is absolutely defending an organization that he has had a close business relationship with for nearly ten years as a RESULT of working at dealerships.

If anyone thinks the shop in question (or any other business, for that matter) is looking to "avoid responsibilities" they are wrong. The fact is, they had no responsibility to do anything other than fix the car the next morning when they got in. Period.

Gumby

Post Number: 1202
Posted on Thursday, June 01, 2006 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe I misstated a little bit. It is my experience that their customer service sucks. I cannot speak to the quality of their work because I decided to take my business elsewhere after the way they handled this incident. I got a new engine, headlight, a body piece that I do not know the name of and towing up to the Flint area (the headlight and body part damage were from a previous little fender bender I had) all cheaper than the price quoted to me for just a new engine at James Martin by the way.

Brandonhgt
Username: Brandonhgt

Post Number: 6
Posted From: 68.42.174.31
Posted on Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 11:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sam Zammit at downtown mobil fixed my car today at a reasonable price and made some other suggestions I could do myself. Very nice guy with quick service, thanks all for the heads up!

Ravine

Post Number: 130
Posted From: 68.248.6.12
Posted on Friday, June 09, 2006 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Having recommended Downtown Mobil, I am delighted to hear that you had a good experience there. Really good guy, that Sam.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.