Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » DEMF « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 515
Posted From: 65.42.23.2
Posted on Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wasn't able to make it down to the DEMF,

Does anyone have photos or anything to share about the event from this weekend. I was talking to a co-worker and they said the turn out was lower as they are charging now.

Thanks

Motorcitymayor2026
Username: Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 838
Posted From: 24.231.189.137
Posted on Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The paper said that attendance was up at least 20% from last year, when they first started charging.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 516
Posted From: 65.42.23.2
Posted on Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that's good to hear then...

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 817
Posted From: 136.1.1.154
Posted on Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Turnout will definately be lower. Alot of folks that weren't die-hard techno fans used to go out of curiousity. Many would stop by before they hit the clubs. Because it was free it was easy for people to convince friends to go with them for a few hours.

In addition, there were many families there earlier in the day. It wasn't rare to see younger kids with their parents around 3pm. This year there weren't many strollers.

All in all, I thought this was the most organized of all the years. Most artists were on pretty close to their slotted times.

Sharmaal

Post Number: 818
Posted on Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

By turnout being lower, I don't mean compared to last year, but compared to the "free" years. I'm sure it was up from last year because the organizers had a full extra month of planning and promoting compared to last year.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 8509
Posted From: 67.71.57.39
Posted on Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wouldn't it be safe to say that most events that are free will have a higher turn out than something that costs money?
I'm glad I don't have hear the thump, thump, thump of the repetative bass until 12:00AM now. Well, that and the E-tards returning from the show.

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 69
Posted From: 68.42.220.61
Posted on Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went sun and monday and it was really packed on sun, probably lower than before but it was still packed. And after monday I went to Lafayette coney, so I walked around downtown alittle and there were lots of people everywhere...even though there was a lot less people @ the DEMF on mon

Valkyrias
Username: Valkyrias

Post Number: 258
Posted From: 66.238.129.197
Posted on Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i have to say, i wasn't completely impressed this year. i think it was partly because of the way they handled the selling of the tickets and the massive line we had to wait in...granted it went by fast, but then once we actually purchased the tickets, i was annoyed that it was $20 and not $15 like i thought it had been advertised as. i don't mind paying the money, but if i had known it was that much more, i would have made more of an effort to get there earlier. the crowds did not seem as big as last year, although i was just there for a few hours saturday night.

i was also suprised at the lack of corporate sponsorship. in a way, i was nice to not be bombarded by corporate america...but on the other hand, having that sponsorship is what's supposed to keep these things free (or in this case, at least keep the ticket prices down). again, i don't mind spending the money because i know that the organizers are trying to re-coup losses from the past and they are trying to continue with a tradition as best they can, but i dunno. maybe i'm just getting too old or something, and remember the good ole days which really weren't that long ago, so it's kinda fresh in the memory.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 2810
Posted From: 69.47.100.44
Posted on Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not surprised by the lack of corporate sponsorship. A lot of those folks would probably want to allocate money pretty well in advance. The deadline for commitment by the organizers might have been too late to snag some of the coroporate cash.

As long as it happens without losing money is what is most important. I think it's a viable show for the Detroit scene and should happen but not at the point of losing money. I hope that things worked out well so that the organizers turned SOME profit and had some to offset the debt incurred in years past as well. I'd like to hope this event can grow as well.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 697
Posted From: 68.42.176.123
Posted on Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Saturday and Sunday had some pretty good turnouts. Sunday was the best day of DEMF I have seen in a long time. Hart Plaza and downtown overall were crawling with people. My only problem was after leaving the festival at the end a lot of bars were closed or closing. My girlfriend and I found out the hardway that Jacoby's, DBC, The Hub, Coaches Corner, Cock n Bull, Pappy's and the bar in Pizzapopalis were closed or closing. I had never felt so good about going into Old Shillelagh to drink before that night. Every other place that was open was crowded and alive. People were walking all over the place. The Well was packed and charging a $10 cover that people were happy to pay. I think quite a few downtown bars missed out on some solid business by closing early on Sunday.

Attendance at DEMF Monday during the day definitely was done. I think the heat had a lot to do with it. The heat index was only a degree or two below 100. The Pistons playing didn't help either. But after it got dark, Hart Plaza filled up again. It had a nice crowd by the time Ritchie Hawtin went on stage.

Overall, it was a definite improvement from years past but not on the same level as the festival's initial years.

Eastsidedog
Username: Eastsidedog

Post Number: 431
Posted From: 12.47.224.8
Posted on Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nitzer Ebb put on a very powerful high energy show. Kill Memory Crash was cool to see live again. Always good to see Derrick May bring out the high tech soul and Hawtin bring out the hardcore mechanization. I thought it was cool that the organizers explored the industrial roots of Detroit techno this year with a first ever industrial tent. I was there most of the day Monday and had a great time in the shade, danced my ass off to Nitzer Ebb and chilled out by the river. Great night. Very good vibes all around. :-)

Spidergirl
Username: Spidergirl

Post Number: 209
Posted From: 198.134.51.13
Posted on Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went all 3 days, and I think the low turnout earlier in the day was honestly attributed to the temperature. The thought of sitting out in the 80-90 degree sunshine with little shade and $3 bottled water kept a lot of people at bay until later in the evening.

E_hemingway - you are dead on about Richie Hawtin's closing set on the Main Stage.

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 5979
Posted From: 208.27.111.125
Posted on Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The thought of sitting out in the 80-90 degree sunshine with little shade and $3 bottled water kept a lot of people at bay until later in the evening.

Gosh, if ONLY there were an enclosed building nearby with plenty of seating and air conditioning and bathroooms that could be used in concert with Hart Plaza events to provide relief to the public...

'ello! Wait a tick! Such a building IS nearby. ANd could be invaluable during Hoedowns, EMFs and festivals.

Pity that it's dated-looking and, therefore, unworthy of restoration.

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 685
Posted From: 84.156.35.150
Posted on Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bitter much, Heather? :-)

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 1509
Posted From: 208.44.117.10
Posted on Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

'ello! Wait a tick! Such a building IS nearby. ANd could be invaluable during Hoedowns, EMFs and festivals.

No, cobo arena is too steep -- those e-kids and the drunk rednecks would be falling out of their seats...

Itsjeff

Post Number: 5982
Posted on Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ImeanFordAuditoriumyouidiot!

Dabirch

Post Number: 1510
Posted on Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

ImeanFordAuditoriumyouidiot!

Those acoustics suck. Can you imagine the reverberations that would occur with the bass driven stuff? not fun -- or maybe really fun.

Itsjeff

Post Number: 5984
Posted on Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was just kinda making the argument to those who argued that Ford is obsolete that it doesn't have to be. A functional Ford Auditorium could be a tremendous asset during the festivals. If not as a performance stage, than for relief from the elements, retail, rehearsal space, etc.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 1852
Posted From: 129.9.163.106
Posted on Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ford Auditorium??? DEMF is supposed to be an outdoor festival. Now if we just moved Chene park there, everything would be perfect. :-)

Dabirch

Post Number: 1511
Posted on Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I was just kinda making the argument to those who argued that Ford is obsolete that it doesn't have to be. A functional Ford Auditorium could be a tremendous asset during the festivals.

And I was just being facetious because I knew that you were referring back to the the Ford Auditorium thread.

Very literal today, aren't we?

Itsjeff

Post Number: 5986
Posted on Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry. Always being right takes a terrible toll on my ability to detect facetiousness.

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 969
Posted From: 146.9.52.89
Posted on Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it might work if Ford Auditorium had first floor retail and adequate parking.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 7497
Posted From: 198.208.159.19
Posted on Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard there is a chain coming to Ford Auditorium. I believe it is either House of Cheescake or The Blues Factory.

Islandman
Username: Islandman

Post Number: 185
Posted From: 68.42.171.59
Posted on Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess everyone wants the rain to come back during DEMF? I don't think the weather's been as nice since 2000.

I've gone every year and can tell you that Monday was a ghost town compared to other years during the day. It did fill up later on. I definitely came to see Nitzer Ebb on Monday. I liked their show at Club X in the early 90's much better. Still good to see them though.

Mw2gs
Username: Mw2gs

Post Number: 196
Posted From: 68.77.160.204
Posted on Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Louie Vega tearing the place down

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =ZT4taV6m_1o

Soulsauce
Username: Soulsauce

Post Number: 170
Posted From: 67.38.8.99
Posted on Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 10:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Love Little Louie Vega!

Hate I missed the festival. :-(

(Message edited by Soulsauce on May 30, 2006)

Adamjab19
Username: Adamjab19

Post Number: 668
Posted From: 24.192.148.148
Posted on Wednesday, May 31, 2006 - 12:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why are people complaining about the water prices? Did you really think it was going to be much cheaper? It's an entertainment event. They have you by your balls there so they charge.

Just because electronic music tends to have people drinking water as well as yeah it was hot out the prices, I don't think, will ever be lower.

I had fun Monday night when I went. Crowd was a little light but It was just right I thought. Paxahau will do better because they don't seem like one's to sit on their thumbs as did some of the stale producers of festivals past.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 4206
Posted From: 141.217.173.154
Posted on Wednesday, May 31, 2006 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Price $20 a day up to $66 for 3 days. HAH! Too much Captilism added fo the underground techno music world. Techno music music be free to the people who want it. Next year, The DEMF may raise it to $30 or more.

Sharmaal

Post Number: 819
Posted on Wednesday, May 31, 2006 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For three days it was $40. You're an idiot Danny.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 4209
Posted From: 141.217.173.154
Posted on Wednesday, May 31, 2006 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sharmaal, The DEMF people can have the people to raise the ticket prices whatever they want. It's profit for underground music. Too much YUCKY media in the way.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 19
Posted From: 69.209.140.232
Posted on Wednesday, May 31, 2006 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't buy a single drink inside the festival. That's what the CVS in the 1001 garage is for. And it's air-conditioned. And if you re-enter DEMF from the riverwalk side, you hardly even need to wait in line for the security check. Sure, there's some walking involved, but to save $2 on every drink I bought it was worth it.

Iddude313
Username: Iddude313

Post Number: 27
Posted From: 68.255.164.38
Posted on Wednesday, May 31, 2006 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a good time.
I bought my tickets in advance and just walked right in to pick up my tickets.
It was hot.
What they needed to have was misters spraying nice cooling droplets!
Ahhh!

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1161
Posted From: 136.2.1.101
Posted on Wednesday, May 31, 2006 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They may not have had misters spraying, but there is always Dodge Fountain!
Dodge Fountain
See article at http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060530/ENT04/605300358

Tomoh
Username: Tomoh

Post Number: 188
Posted From: 24.136.10.153
Posted on Thursday, June 01, 2006 - 12:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agree with E_Hem, it's a shame that certain places were closed. Tried going to Jacoby's later and it was closed, Bangkok Crossing was closed all weekend (I fear that's a permanent thing...) and the Well was closed early in the afternoon when we tried to go. However, myself and many of my out of town friends did patronize many downtown bars and restaurants that were open.

I hope Paxahau was able to break even or maybe even, god forbid, make a nice cash cushion for future events.

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 631
Posted From: 68.60.110.77
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =erZtdm5m0c4&search=DEMF

Great videos here

Mind_field
Username: Mind_field

Post Number: 566
Posted From: 67.38.20.211
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

anyone hear of any final attendance figures for the festival?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.