Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Summer Is Here-- What Driving Habits Do You Love To Hate? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 90
Posted From: 69.218.77.189
Posted on Saturday, May 27, 2006 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, it's one of the first genuinely hot days of the summer, which means that the folks who cannot drive are all out there on the roads!! Look, most of us have some degree of affection for our beleaguered city, but let's be honest; there are some SERIOUSLY incompetent drivers out there. Some of them are smoking blunts, some of them are partially or completely drunk, but some of them Just Can't Do The Job. So!! What habits really piss you off, burn your toast, frost your ass? There have been so many deep and dire threads these past weeks; let's have some fun, and vent off some steam. Allow me to start the bidding with a stunt which is not really all that horrible, and certainly not dangerous, but THOROUGHLY irritates me: The bit where you are waiting, behind someone, at the red light, and when the light turns green and people start moving, the car directly ahead of you gets to the front of the line and NOW WE GET THE FREAKIN' LEFT TURN SIGNAL.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1082
Posted From: 69.14.122.204
Posted on Saturday, May 27, 2006 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are legions of drivers that fail to use turn signals at any time. Ever. This is common behavior in the metro area. Either we're expected to read the minds of the drivers who don't signal, or maybe it's just a pandemic of laziness.

Hamtramck_steve
Username: Hamtramck_steve

Post Number: 2972
Posted From: 68.73.59.206
Posted on Saturday, May 27, 2006 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can do a whole lot of stuff that I'll overlook, but I can not stand bass loud enough to make my rearview mirror shake. Or make me turn up my tv. Or make me tell the person on the phone, "Hold on till this car goes by."

And people who don't accelerate when they're getting on the FREAKING FREEWAY!

Ravine

Post Number: 92
Posted From: 69.218.77.189
Posted on Saturday, May 27, 2006 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fury, I wonder if some think it's a logical, correct step, like not unlocking the car door until the moment when you're ready to open it.

Fury13

Post Number: 1083
Posted on Saturday, May 27, 2006 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, maybe we're dealing with minds that are so fried that they literally can't think that far ahead.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 213
Posted From: 4.229.90.150
Posted on Saturday, May 27, 2006 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think I see at least one car a day with a tire that is not perpendicular to the car. Do these people really not notice their wheel is wonky or do they want the thrill of driving it until the wheel actually falls off??

Cheddar_bob
Username: Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 685
Posted From: 204.128.192.4
Posted on Saturday, May 27, 2006 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you signal an upcoming turn, you're giving your next move away to your enemies. Therefore you should never signal. It keeps everyone else on their toes.

Superduperman
Username: Superduperman

Post Number: 93
Posted From: 69.242.221.36
Posted on Saturday, May 27, 2006 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whats this "turn signal" thingy people keep talking about? Tell me more about it please.

Karl
Username: Karl

Post Number: 2587
Posted From: 68.230.22.99
Posted on Saturday, May 27, 2006 - 11:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Folks who live in the left lane of the freeway, forcing all who approach to eventually give up and pass on the right, seem to show up at this time of year. On rare ocassions I'm challenged to see what makes them tick, so I hang on their bumper, sometimes flashing the lights and generally being "autobahn" about the whole thing. Usually there is an obvious effort to turn the head slightly, get closer to the rear view mirror, and attempt to ascertain exactly what that contraption is behind them blinking, honking, and generally intruding on their private stretch of concrete. Few ever seem to get the hint and most likely are still right there in the left lane, cruising along at 60mph in the 70mph zone.

God bless 'em (snarled thru gritted teeth)

Johnnny5
Username: Johnnny5

Post Number: 265
Posted From: 71.227.95.4
Posted on Saturday, May 27, 2006 - 11:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When a lane is ending (normally during construction) and some jackass moves into the closing lane (or the shoulder), speeds up and tries to pass as many cars as possible.
People who park at the front curb (firelane) of a retail store because they are just too f-ing lazy to walk from the designated parking spots.
But the thing I laugh at the most is when someone pulls in front of oncoming traffic, realizes they screwed up and instead of moving out of the way quickly they panic and just sit there like the problem is going to magically disappear.

Fury13

Post Number: 1084
Posted on Saturday, May 27, 2006 - 11:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"When a lane is ending (normally during construction) and some jackass moves into the closing lane (or the shoulder), speeds up and tries to pass as many cars as possible."

Yeah, that ticks me off too. But I found a cure for that... if they're trying to get back into my lane just ahead of me, I hang back just enough so they think I'm letting them in. Then, just before they make their move, I accelerate enough so they can't get in and they're forced to drive into the row of orange construction pylons. Highway fun!

Tayshaun22
Username: Tayshaun22

Post Number: 189
Posted From: 69.14.101.116
Posted on Sunday, May 28, 2006 - 12:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Highway fun never stops for me. I like to spice up my drive by pissing off fellow drivers. Sitting there with my right turn signal on at a red light and no traffic coming is a good way to get under others' skins. On two lane roads where you can pass, playing the game of 'I Will Never Let You Pass Me' is another fun adventure.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 321
Posted From: 65.185.132.134
Posted on Sunday, May 28, 2006 - 12:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the rules for driving in Detroit:
1) the curb lane is for parking, or high speed passing--whenever that can be accomplished.
2)Traffic light changes do not really take effect until 20 seconds or so after the change, especially when changing from yellow to red--it's your individual call.
3) It's perfectly acceptable to drive your car in the left lane at 80 mph down the city interstates and then violently cut across all lanes of traffic to make an off ramp 50 ft. ahead and 30 ft. to the right.
4) It is perfectly acceptable to drive a 30+ year old, blue smoke belching pickup truck 7 MPH down the arterial "spoke" streets with the bed sides collapsing at 30 degree angles under the weight of a 12 ft. high pile of dead hot water tanks, mufflers, porch railings,aluminium siding, metal bed frames,dead appliances, incomplete bicycles,dismantled furnaces,Rusted electrical enclosures, ensnarled (former) fencing--and anything else that is ferris and available.
5)If you are an officer driving a DPD cruiser, red lights are for the little people--not you. You have earned the priviledge to slow down, look around, and blow thru.
6) It is perfecly acceptable to have a $985 '89 Caprice with $2,400 worth of 20s and Toyos.
7) If you are experiencing car trouble, roll- backs and tow trucks are for the wealthy. Your cousin can push you bumper-a-bumper(on surface streets or the expressway) with his marginally better vehicle. We'll just work around that.

(Message edited by 56packman on May 28, 2006)

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2173
Posted From: 4.229.81.209
Posted on Sunday, May 28, 2006 - 1:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Karl, I see that same problem in the left lane of the freeway all the time.... and when you pass them on the right, at least 2/3 of the time you see that those idiots are using their cell phones! (The other 1/3 of the time they are just clueless!)

There is another pet peeve I have, and I see this only in Detroit..... When you are stopped at an intersection waiting for the light to change (usually on a 2 lane roadway) many times someone will go to the right of you (with the expectation that they are going to turn right at the light).... and when the light changes they speed up and cut over in front of you just missing parked cars on the right side of the roadway after the intersection.

56packman

Post Number: 323
Posted on Sunday, May 28, 2006 - 1:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok, see no. 1, above.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 676
Posted From: 68.40.119.216
Posted on Sunday, May 28, 2006 - 9:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about teenage girls and cell phones?

Huggybear
Username: Huggybear

Post Number: 216
Posted From: 70.236.160.154
Posted on Sunday, May 28, 2006 - 9:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No... you are stopped at a green light because the drivers of the car at the front of your lane and the adjacent lane are coming on to each other from the open windows.

By the way, what's with the Jefferson Avenue gas station parties?

Fury13

Post Number: 1085
Posted on Sunday, May 28, 2006 - 9:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just love it when I'm driving down a relatively narrow thoroughfare (like Harper) and the drivers of two cars, pointed in opposite directions, have come to a dead stop alongside each other right in the middle of the street because they are acquainted, and are now chatting on and on through open driver's side windows. Just like a scene at some backwater rural Alabama dirt crossroads (hey, this is a BIG CITY, people... MOVE IT.) Meanwhile, traffic is backed up behind them because they have decided to pass the time of day.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 8496
Posted From: 67.71.57.39
Posted on Sunday, May 28, 2006 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fuckers driving slow in the left lane! Drives me nuts.
I don't even give a rat's shit if they are going the posted speed limit. It is the PASSING LANE! So pass and get the fuck over to the right lane! Some of us might actaully want to go faster than what is posted.
Some of these fools even think they are cops. They just glide along even after you flash them your lights to get them to move over. I am sure they are thinking "you are speeding anyways, so I will do what I want" and they just stay in th left lane or even slow down.

(Message edited by GOAT on May 28, 2006)

Karl
Username: Karl

Post Number: 2589
Posted From: 68.230.22.99
Posted on Sunday, May 28, 2006 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And a fine Sunday morning to you too, Goat! I'll be sure to keep the left lane open for ya as ya head to church.

(Message edited by karl on May 28, 2006)

Wabashrr1
Username: Wabashrr1

Post Number: 148
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Sunday, May 28, 2006 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Sitting there with my right turn signal on at a red light and no traffic coming is a good way to get under others' skins.

If you Really want to piss them off, sit there at the red with No turn signal on, wait for the light to turn green, and then make your right turn. The degree you've gotten under thier skin can be judged by how fast they jerk through the intersection.

quote:

They just glide along even after you flash them your lights to get them to move over. I am sure they are thinking "you are speeding anyways, so I will do what I want" and they just stay in th left lane or even slow down.

Nope.. I just stay there to see how long you'll flash your lights for. Don't like it, Go around.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 772
Posted From: 68.60.177.56
Posted on Sunday, May 28, 2006 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If it's summer, it's time for Bubba and Lurleen to hit Woodward! Hey, I got a car!

Tayshaun22

Post Number: 190
Posted on Sunday, May 28, 2006 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for all your comments. From now on, I'll be driving 55 in the fast lane. You are allowed to pass on the right, but I'm not gonna let you pass me.

Gistok

Post Number: 2174
Posted From: 4.229.81.48
Posted on Sunday, May 28, 2006 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Tayshaun22... there's a saying....
"it is better to be silent and be thought a fool... than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt."

321brian
Username: 321brian

Post Number: 150
Posted From: 68.62.6.147
Posted on Sunday, May 28, 2006 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When someones lane is ending and they think it is their right to just move in to your lane when theirs disappears. 696 to 94 West is my favorite spot for this.

I also hated it in the Fall when I was driving along in the second from far left lane, minding my own business, got hit from behind, was sent spinning across 2 lanes of 696 and 2 merge lanes of I-75, and left for dead against the wall.

Ya, the person who hit me took off. Not as bad as the girl going to Pearl Jam but it still pissed me off a ton.

What I like is the person who saw him hit me and called the cops. If it was you....THANK YOU!!!

I just can't believe that he didn't stop. Anyone else have a similar experience with people not stopping or taking off?

Didn't make it any eaiser when the cop who showed up didn't believe me. In his infinite cop wisdom he deducted that I causes it all and it was a one car accient. Thanks again to the person who saw the guy hit me and also prove this cop to be a jerk.

Gistok

Post Number: 2176
Posted From: 4.229.81.48
Posted on Sunday, May 28, 2006 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

321brian, sometimes cops don't need anyone to prove they can be jerks (I'm mindful that there are many many great cops!)

I had an experience on westbound I-94 with a policeman that left me somewhat shaken. I was behind someone going slow in the left lane, and then passed them on the right. All of a sudden a car pulled up behind me and flashed a bright spotlight my way. He turned it off after 5 seconds, and I got out of the left lane thinking it might be an off duty or undercover policeman. So I got into the center lane and he pulled in behind me. After 1/2 mile of him following me, I switched lanes a few times and pass folks ( I passed on the left). I always used my turn signal, but the other guy NEVER used his. Then I squeezed in between 2 cars (again using my turn signal). He squeezed in behind me, nearly cutting off the car that was initially behind me. I never changed lanes less frequently than about 1/3 mile. But I always used correct driving techniques. He kept right behind me, NEVER using his turn signal, and nearly cutting off another 2 cars. At this point I realized that this could not be a policeman, since his driving habits were reckless, always squeezing in behind me nearly cutting folks off. After about 3 miles of this, I decided to get off onto I-96, so I hit the gas a little, pulled in front of a large truck and got off onto westbout I-96. He couldn't get over in time, so I thought I had lost this clown.

What was going thru my mind was that I had an encounter with one of those people impersonating a policeman/policecar. I got off at Joy Rd. to turn around and get back onto I-94.

THEN for the first time, there were red/blue police flashers behind me, and I pulled over. Well it was this guy, who was an undercover Police Officer (not in uniform). He started yelling at me, and I yelled back telling him that all I did was pass on the right, whereas he was driving recklessly cutting people off. I told him that I thought he was one of those police impersonators, since he wasn't using proper safety, and decided to take evasive (but not reckless action).

I told him to go ahead and give me a ticket, cuz I would be there in court to tell the judge just what happened. Well he checked my ID, and came back and gave me my license back. He didn't say anything else, and just drove off still steaming, and I left WITHOUT a ticket.

(Message edited by Gistok on May 28, 2006)

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 727
Posted From: 69.242.213.101
Posted on Sunday, May 28, 2006 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Love to hate the person who rushes to cut me off in the left hand "speed" lane only to do the speed limit, forming an impenetrable wall across the freeway.

I thoroughly enjoy it. It makes me so happy I could pee.

Johnnny5
Username: Johnnny5

Post Number: 266
Posted From: 71.227.95.4
Posted on Sunday, May 28, 2006 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

321Brian does this bring back any bad memories? I think it's the other accident you mentioned.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =bFtjsTI8Ros&search=car%20mich igan

Treelock
Username: Treelock

Post Number: 126
Posted From: 24.192.27.161
Posted on Sunday, May 28, 2006 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Two increasingly common annoyances:

1) Someone is trying to turn left onto a busy, usually multi-lane street from, say, a parking lot. Instead of waiting until traffic is clear in both directions, they pull out into the street even while unable to enter left-going traffic, literally sitting in the middle of the road broadside, blocking oncoming cars entirely. I see this a lot on East Jefferson for some reason.

2) A driver is proceeding up a multi-lane, divided boulevard, let's say Woodward Avenue in the OC, when they realize their left-turn cut is fast approaching — only they're not in the far left lane and there is too much traffic to be able to switch lanes. But instead of driving up a little farther to use the next turnaround or the one after that, they SLOW DOWN in the middle of the road to wait for a chance to switch lanes, cars behind them be damned. That's just dangerously stupid.

Kilgore_south
Username: Kilgore_south

Post Number: 64
Posted From: 24.176.20.117
Posted on Sunday, May 28, 2006 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As a commodities transport and logistics specialist (i.e. truck driver) I make a living dealing with assinine driving. I can sympathize with all the avobe. But for me #1 is people who merge onto the freeway at, say, 35 MPH. You see this especially with the $950 '89 Caprices that 56packman was talking about...

Sometimes a fully loaded 18-wheeler can't get up to speed in time, but if you're in a car use the damn gas pedal and get up to speed.

321brian
Username: 321brian

Post Number: 151
Posted From: 68.62.6.147
Posted on Sunday, May 28, 2006 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Johnnny5,

If I had been in my truck something like that could have happened. Lucky for me I was in my small beater when it happened. What are the odds that a cop car with a camera on whold be right behind them?

Gistok,

Ya, there are a lot of great cops but this guy just rolled up on the scene and told me what happened to me. I actually thought he was going to give me a ticket based on this theory.

I'm sure that happens with a lot of non-traffic incidents too.

The cop DID NOT apologise when he found out that someone had in fact hit me. JERK!!!

Shave
Username: Shave

Post Number: 1173
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Sunday, May 28, 2006 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...and people actually think insurance companies are raping Detroiters with high insurance rates? If only half of these "Summer Driving Habits" are true, then I can't see how anyone can point out that Detroiters are being redlined.

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 1109
Posted From: 69.222.11.226
Posted on Sunday, May 28, 2006 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The bit where you are waiting, behind someone, at the red light, and when the light turns green and people start moving, the car directly ahead of you gets to the front of the line and NOW WE GET THE FREAKIN' LEFT TURN SIGNAL.

I am sorry...I did this yesterday and I was mad at myself for doing it. I hate when this happens and felt like shit for doing it!!

Ravine

Post Number: 93
Posted From: 68.248.8.205
Posted on Sunday, May 28, 2006 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Broken_main: We ALL have done it. I'm sure that some folks ALWAYS do it. You're forgiven; they are thrice cursed.

Pacypacy_
Username: Pacypacy_

Post Number: 51
Posted From: 24.192.166.67
Posted on Sunday, May 28, 2006 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If everyone would just drive like me there would be no problems :-)

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 1110
Posted on Sunday, May 28, 2006 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Johnny5....that video that you posted is one of my electrians daughter. Emily is blessed to be alive today to talk about it. They did find the driver of the car. I guess the stroke of irony is that the police were right behind her. Her fiance is a lawyer for one of the nations big firms. Let's just wait and see how this pans out

Ravine

Post Number: 94
Posted From: 68.248.8.205
Posted on Sunday, May 28, 2006 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You know, it looks to me like the horrificly scary accident on that video was more than partially caused by the car which was quickly approaching from the right, looking like it may, or may not, breeze right into the road. Too bad the one driver reacted without regard to who else was on the road. Good Jesus, that was a lot of rolling over.

Tayshaun22

Post Number: 193
Posted on Sunday, May 28, 2006 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We're all fools anyway, Gistok. Just ask the Fudgies.

56packman

Post Number: 324
Posted on Monday, May 29, 2006 - 12:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And gee, that rollover was in a Ford Explorer. Like that's never happened before. Blame that on Firestone.

Pikturewerk
Username: Pikturewerk

Post Number: 15
Posted From: 71.65.10.42
Posted on Monday, May 29, 2006 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is something that I have only seen Michigan drivers do. Getting into the left turn lane and then stopping and putting on their right turn signal so they can get into the flow of traffic. Really then they are turning right and not left. When I want to then turn left I can't because they are sitting in the left turn lane blocking my way. This has happened to me twice, so I rolled down my window and yelled at them to get out of my lane because they are now turning right and not left. The response each time has been to shrug their shoulders like what can they do. Try turning left into the first traffic lane. That is way it is to be done. Is it just me or are the dirvers in Michigan just not as educated?

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 186
Posted From: 209.220.229.254
Posted on Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^ I'm sure they made a left turn onto a busy road and couldn't time it so both directions were clear at the same time. It happens all the time, and it is by no means exclusive to Michigan.

I find it amusing that whenever people in any area start discussing driving habits, they say "I've only seen this in ______" and then name something that happens EVERYWHERE.

Everybody thinks their city/state has the worst driving habits, but really, we all suck at it pretty equally.

Anyone who has spent a lot of time driving across many states can tell you that's true.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 786
Posted From: 68.60.177.56
Posted on Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I spent the last two days riding my bike, it was really glorious, there is nothing so sweet as an early Michigan summer day on a hot pair of Schwinn wheels. However, it was slightly marred by the drivers who never consider a pedestrian or a bicycle rider while they go barreling around the hoods. I mind traffic laws, I stop at stop signs, signal when I turn, give courtesy to walkers. Don't they teach that stuff in driving school anymore? I was nearly run over three times both days. Was sworn at each time.

My theory is when they quit teaching driving in the public schools and farmed it out to driving schools, nobody fails a driving test anymore.

Wabashrr1
Username: Wabashrr1

Post Number: 150
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I mind traffic laws, I stop at stop signs, signal when I turn, give courtesy to walkers.

There's your mistake.. Be an asshole like everyone else and you'll be perfectly safe. Try to enjoy yourself and keep your cool and you'll run into every asshole on the road. There's no shortage of them, anywhere.

ugh

Awfavre
Username: Awfavre

Post Number: 50
Posted From: 69.3.206.177
Posted on Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I despise the people who take corners straddling both lanes in parking structures with two-way traffic . . . & they’re going about 25 mph when 15 will do (& it's a 5 mph zone). I’ve almost been hit head-on twice in the last couple months by these morons. (That includes you, Mr. Bearded Fellow in the shiny black BMW. It won’t stay shiny for long if you keep driving like that.)

Gistok

Post Number: 2193
Posted From: 4.229.72.7
Posted on Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For those folks who have driveways, you always drive a little farther from the curb so that you can turn into your driveway without running over the curb.....

But for some drivers..... when they want to make a right turn at an intersection, they do the same thing, and veer to the left a little and drift into your lane. I hate that!

Focusonthed

Post Number: 188
Posted From: 209.220.229.254
Posted on Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you can't make a right turn from the right lane and not cross any lane lines, your car is too big.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 3427
Posted From: 65.222.10.3
Posted on Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Detroit Pullout

This is unique to Detroit really. Basically, it is when a driver is making a left out of an establishment such as a gas station, strip mall, bar, whatever. They start to creep out of said establishment’s parking lots, without making a full turn. They just stay there with their car halfway in the lot and halfway in the street. This, my friends, is called a Detroit pullout and it sucks.

Ravine

Post Number: 102
Posted From: 69.218.76.227
Posted on Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Patrick: That's the one that causes me to wish I had a car made out of vanadium steel. Ram right into them and proceed down the street with most of their front end hanging off my car.

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 9
Posted From: 69.221.80.238
Posted on Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hate the Detroit pull out, especially if there is a traffic light on the other side of their car and it turns red while I am waiting for them to move. Ugh. I think there should be "no left turn" signs in establishments that are too near an intersection or multi-lane road. Something else I hate but I haven't seen mentioned...people behind me driving with their bright lights on. I flick the mirror, but it is still bright. I usually try to adjust the outside mirror so it shines in their face. If it is on a freeway, I usually pull over, let them pass, then do the same to them. They still don't get it. Equally as frustrating are the people with their brights on and when you flash them they flash back to show you that one side is burned out on low beam. They have to use high beams or else they will only have one light. GET A NEW LIGHT!

Gistok

Post Number: 2198
Posted From: 4.229.24.35
Posted on Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why is it that many folks don't know how to deal with crossing a solid double yellow line.

When you are at an intersection with a left turn lane, that double yellow line on the left side of that lane doesn't mean that folks coming from the opposite direction can't cross the line AS A TURN into a business driveway.

But they CANNOT cross it to be facing you in the left turn lane, and then proceed to turn from that lane into a business driveway. That is a no-no. But it happens all the time in Detroit and the suburbs.

This happens especially on 4 or 6 lane roads near intersections with turning lanes. Maybe people are afraid they'll get rear ended.... (please no Manrooter comments! :-))

(Message edited by Gistok on May 30, 2006)

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 615
Posted From: 69.212.169.194
Posted on Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The common thing on I-94 now seems to be people who drive in the left lane at whatever speed they want... and then zoom across all lanes and up their exit ramp when they see it.

I see this happen at least 2 times every day.

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 11
Posted From: 69.221.80.238
Posted on Friday, June 02, 2006 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just got back from a meeting in Windsor. I was reminded of one of my biggest peeves. The toll gate in Windsor was shut down for a while apparently to alleviate congestion on the US side. We sat there for 15-20 minutes, not moving. This isn't my peeve as I have experienced it before and understand it. When the gates opened, a vehicle (with Michigan plates)scrambled to be the first in line at the "tokens and coin only" gate. Then I saw her back up lights come on which would have caused about 10 cars to move with traffic blocked behind them for blocks. Then an attendant came out of the adjacent booth and motioned for her to stop. Then her arm came out of the window with currency. Reall ticks me off. I guess staring at the "tokens and coins only" made out neon for 15-20 minutes wasn't enough indication for her. Or she thought it didn't apply to her. I was next to her at US customs and was tempted to say something, but didn't think it was a good location for near-road rage.

Naturalsister
Username: Naturalsister

Post Number: 694
Posted From: 68.255.167.138
Posted on Friday, June 02, 2006 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about when you're pulling into the far right lane to turn on red and some idiot jumps in front of you that isn't turning and you have to wait out the light.

later - naturalsister

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 42
Posted From: 141.217.214.203
Posted on Friday, June 02, 2006 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those Belle Isle "gangsta" drivers. This guy was practically hanging out of the door performing some sort of rap song too loud to comprehend.
http://downtownmotown.8k.com/d etroitmay/2006_0529DetChene_Ma y29_060106.jpg

So much for an enjoyable ride on the island. Everyone had to know he was there.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1290
Posted From: 68.42.251.225
Posted on Friday, June 02, 2006 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grosse Pointe soccer moms making wide turns in their SUV's with cell phone in hand. Try sitting in your car on Morningside at Vernier when one of those big tanks makes it right turn onto Morningside and misses your left fender by 3 inches.

Bongman
Username: Bongman

Post Number: 1098
Posted From: 198.111.56.128
Posted on Friday, June 02, 2006 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Letting people in on boulevards, and having them attempt to cross all the way over to the other side of the road to hit the first available turnaround. If we knew you were going to go for 4 lanes instead of one, we wouldn't have let you in at all !

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 600
Posted From: 209.69.221.253
Posted on Friday, June 02, 2006 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok,

Using the other direction's left turn lane to wait for a chance to pull into a business driveway is lousy. A few months ago I was in a western suburb trying to make a left-hand turn onto a street. But there was a car right there in the left-turn lane, waiting for a chance to pull into a gas station where the second or third car would normally queue in the other direction. So, I slow down so I can safely veer into what little space was left. No screaming or finger-waving from me. But as I slow down to negotiate this unusual lane change, the driver screams at me, "Get the fuck outta the way!"

Gotta love Detroit for that. Not only can people cause you problems, they also get to cuss you out.

Fury13

Post Number: 1097
Posted on Friday, June 02, 2006 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Think about it… everything that’s been mentioned is symptomatic of those who do not make conscious driving decisions. Drunk, high, distracted, or just self-absorbed -- what you’re seeing on the roads are people who refuse to live and drive consciously. Driving is an afterthought to these folks... it is certainly not their "here and now."

56packman

Post Number: 336
Posted From: 129.9.163.234
Posted on Friday, June 02, 2006 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastdetroit-refer to my rule #3 in my "Rules for driving in Detroit"

Sticks
Username: Sticks

Post Number: 75
Posted From: 69.136.140.132
Posted on Sunday, June 04, 2006 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While it's not driving, it's related to it. Since it's warmer, more pedestrians are out walking around. For some reason, they don't walk on the sidewalk but choose to walk in the street. Sidestreets and also primaries like Grand River. What the fuck people?

I hate with a passion the people that don't understand what an on-ramp is for: to get up to speed with the flow of traffic. They cruise on it at 40mph then once they get merged then they speed up to 70mph. Douchebags. My 4-banger can't do what your "performance sedan" can.

And I've been busted for rolling a blinking red before but what the hell is up with rolling solid red lights that have cars already stopped at them?

Focusonthed

Post Number: 219
Posted From: 24.192.25.47
Posted on Sunday, June 04, 2006 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't stand people who wait for specific lanes when they're making turns onto large boulevards like Woodward. I sat behind someone for over 2 minutes tocay because he was waiting to cross all 4 lanes of traffic. Like we don't have turnarounds every 1/4 mile. THERE ARE 4 LANES! Just use one of them, and merge over!

Designut
Username: Designut

Post Number: 3
Posted From: 69.246.46.45
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 2:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay- so my girlfriend and i are on 75 last week headed north right at the detroit border when some asshole kid in a big red chevy truck veers into my lane while talking on his cell phone. I of course lay on my horn to keep him from hitting me. Offended by my exceptionally long honk, (which I assure you was absolutely necessary) this guy has the audacity to swerve at my car a second time, this time intentionally, while still talking on his cell phone. I had to swerve into the other lane to avoit the assualt. It's one thing to talk on a phone and not pay attention while on the freeway, but c'mon, endangering me and my passenger for honking? I should have let the deuchebag bump me so he'd get his lisence taken away...what the fuck is wrong with these people?

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 995
Posted From: 71.144.86.59
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fury13,

Amen, and the self-absorption is even more intense when it's a young driver in a massive SUV, talking on the phone. Nothing below their windshield is important to them, they just plow ahead, swerve, whatever they want to do...

Generalization of the day: All teal vehicles are by definition, bad news...besides the color being an affront to nature, anyone who chose such a vehicle is guilty of bad judgment in just about every part of their life, no doubt...

I thought the Honda Accord teal was the worst I'd seen, but today I had to sit behind a slow-moving teal GMC Jimmy. Of course, that teal looked too Earl Sheib, I don't think it was stock.

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 1384
Posted From: 69.220.230.150
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Offended by my exceptionally long honk, (which I assure you was absolutely necessary) this guy has the audacity to swerve at my car a second time, this time intentionally,

Call the police and report a drunk driver on I-75 with a red chevy truck with license plate number.

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 1385
Posted From: 69.220.230.150
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In SCS there is a CVS drugstore on Mack Avenue. Due to citizne complaints there are no exits on the nearby sidestreet, however both entrance and exit are built next to each other onto Mack.

The street I live on resides roughly 5 feet after the exit. Many times I have had to avoid death by swerving out of the way to avoid the people who must enter the wrong way to save a whole 2 seconds. Why the city ever allowed that and how no one has died from it is beyond me.

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 46
Posted From: 141.217.174.224
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about the people who stop at a red light in the crosswalk that you're trying to cross. It's the best when you are already in the crosswalk and an open lane has a car approaching the intersection to stop, but rolls right on into the crosswalk (front and center, blocking it entirely) right in front of you...ok, me. ;)

At that time, I give the evil eye as if to say, "you're lucky I don't just roll right over the hood or your car." If you don't believe this ever happens, just walk around Wayne State a bit...Woodward, Warren, Cass, Second, Third, etc...

Another pet peeve of mine is making a left turn from like two lanes over as if that was the proper way to do it.

Rosedaleken
Username: Rosedaleken

Post Number: 175
Posted From: 141.213.55.70
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hate when there are multiple turning lanes and someone leaves his own lane, cutting me off at the end of the turn.

Pedestrians who not only refuse to cross at the intersection a few yards away, but also park themselves on the double yellow line as though they are one-dimensional and won't get clipped by a mirror as traffic flies past them.

Deputy_mayor_2026
Username: Deputy_mayor_2026

Post Number: 72
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 12:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have noticed in Detroit that people migrate across the road in the most pecuilar, carefree manner. Here in the suburbs, people are much more prudent when it comes to predicting traffic. Although, I don't see it as a problem. In fact, I am rather fascinated by it...

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 416
Posted From: 68.43.107.72
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 12:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DM2026 Drive down E Warren during the day man, i'ts pretty intense, people flying out from all angles. It's like an obstacle course, along with people driving insane. It's an experience

Motorcitymayor2026
Username: Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 898
Posted From: 24.231.189.137
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 12:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It certainly keeps you on your toes!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.