Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Motown is too negative « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10121
Posted From: 64.118.137.226
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

White said Detroit was too negative and that he felt he was trying to fight a losing battle. “It was draining me, I had to get somewhere where I could breathe again”, said White.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/ news/9273600/detail.html

Maybe it was the beating up other musicians at bars that got draining for him. LOL

Restoretheroar
Username: Restoretheroar

Post Number: 693
Posted From: 199.67.140.83
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

more to the article...
http://www.usatoday.com/life/p eople/2006-05-25-jack-white_x. htm?POE=LIFISVA
Again, Jack is referring the the music scene and his peers as opposed to the overall attitude of the city's residents.

Machoken
Username: Machoken

Post Number: 1255
Posted From: 207.145.38.104
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit's music scene sucks! :-)

Although, it sucks less now that Jack White has left town.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 73
Posted From: 64.141.144.2
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

detroit's music scene doesn't suck, and losing jack white is a major loss to the city... ...even though his new band, the raconteurs, blows...

(Message edited by andylinn on May 25, 2006)

Mudflap
Username: Mudflap

Post Number: 155
Posted From: 67.38.5.195
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have also heard from a reliable source that part of the reason he moved was the taxes (Property and income)are practically nothing in Nashville. If I made millions of dollars a year I might be inclined to stop "keeping it real" and move out of Detroit if would save me a buttload in taxes.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 377
Posted From: 68.43.107.72
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't blame him, I hear all the local folk constantly bashing the guy, when all he has done is good for the city. Most if not all local bands would not be where they are without Jack

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 690
Posted From: 68.42.176.123
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder how much of a rockstar ego had to do with him being unable to breathe here...

Chub
Username: Chub

Post Number: 322
Posted From: 69.246.28.200
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chitaku, I think it's the other way around. Jack was doing the bashing of the local music folk. Both verbally and physically.

Chitaku

Post Number: 379
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ha maybe in retaliation. I obviously don't know the guy personally so I can't really say I know his reasons. But from the folk in the local scene that I do know along with my knowledge of the British scene, if you are from Detroit, you are automatically huge in England. That is thanks to the White Stripes. Do you think the Von Bondies would of made it without Jack? I hardly doubt it. Sorry but I think he may be right on this one. Some people in this town have really big sticks up their asses, and we all need to remember that this is Detroit, not NYC so we really have nothing to be all stuck up about. Be it that your a snob shopping Sommerset, or a scenester sitting at the Majestic all day. We are all a bunch of Midwest product.

Chub

Post Number: 323
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chitaku, I'd also like to know what you mean exactly by "Most if not all local bands would not be where they are without Jack." So, where are they exactly? On top of the charts? No, I don't think so.

Chub

Post Number: 324
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Von Bondies "made it"? I didn't know that. I think you know a lot less than you think. Sorry, just keepin' it real.

Chitaku

Post Number: 381
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Uhmmmm....I doubt that Chub, I would consider having a song that people use on commercials and recording a major album, being a little shit band from Ypsilanti making it. By the way the album that Jack produced and co-wrote of their's is great.

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 1688
Posted From: 69.212.225.151
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow!!!

And he made this announcement right around the time that his new album came out, prompting everyone covering the story to add this sentence:

quote:

The Raconteurs, which just released their first album, Broken Boy Soldiers, will tour this summer.

Maybe I'm too cynical for my own good, but I think his desire for publicity had more to do with this than anything else.

Chub

Post Number: 325
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess your idea of "making it" is just different than mine. The GO, the Electric 6, Von Bondies and countless other local and small time indie bands from all over the country have had their songs in commercials and movie sound tracks, but have they made it? I still say no. Did Jack get them into these commercials? I don't think so. It has much more to do with who their lawyers, managers, and PR people are.

(Message edited by chub on May 25, 2006)

Thursdaynext
Username: Thursdaynext

Post Number: 15
Posted From: 70.225.118.182
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To answer Chub's question "did Jack get them into these commercials?", in a sense I'd say he had a hand in it.

He may not have physically gone out there trying to peddle these bands to the ad agencies and movie companies, but if it hadn't been for the worldwide attention he brought back to Detroits music scene, I don't think the aforementioned bands lawyers, managers and PR people would have had nearly as easy a time selling their music. Actually, without his influence I don't think they would have had any of these credits to add to their resumes.

Machoken
Username: Machoken

Post Number: 1261
Posted From: 207.145.38.104
Posted on Friday, May 26, 2006 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's so bad he apparently won't even bring his band to a detroit venue:
http://michtheater.org/schedul e_descriptions.php#raconteurs

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 8492
Posted From: 67.71.57.39
Posted on Friday, May 26, 2006 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Jack White took Cold Mountain a little too serious. Ease up on the whole civil war, southern thing Jack.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1072
Posted From: 69.14.122.204
Posted on Friday, May 26, 2006 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jack White is a little affected, no?

But then again, he is THE authority on what is authentic blues and what isn't.

Face it, Detroit wasn't big enough to hold this guy's gigantic ego. So he went elsewhere.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 3423
Posted From: 65.222.10.3
Posted on Friday, May 26, 2006 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, so where are all the local asshats now that were such huge fans? The only reason they were fans was because he was from Detroit. Like I said before, had he been from Cincinnati or Indianapolis no one would have cared. Now he is gone and not part of the area anymore. Don’t let the door hit ya in the ass on your way out.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 693
Posted From: 68.42.176.123
Posted on Friday, May 26, 2006 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I liked the White Stripes because they made damn good music. I still enjoy listening to them. I liked them even more because they were not only from Detroit but still living in the city. That made me proud of them. However, I would have been a fan of their music no matter where they were from.

The thing that grinds me is the way Jack White has left the city. I understand the need to just get out and go somewhere else. I think we have all been there. However, to put it nicely, he could left on more diplomatic terms. What he has said since leaving has left me with two words for Mr. White. F*ck him. I can't wait until his new band fails and he comes crawling back, trying to find that old inspiration that made the White Stripes so good.

Jcdfde5
Username: Jcdfde5

Post Number: 9
Posted From: 68.43.115.185
Posted on Friday, May 26, 2006 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In five years he will be playing HARPOS.
I think he is weird just for the sake of being weird. Think about it he is from cushy GP.
Eat the weak!

(Message edited by jcdfde5 on May 26, 2006)

(Message edited by jcdfde5 on May 26, 2006)

Gumby
Username: Gumby

Post Number: 1190
Posted From: 68.60.143.186
Posted on Friday, May 26, 2006 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Patrick just because he moved away doesn't mean I no longer like his music. One of the best concerts I have ever been to was the White Stripes concert at the Masonic Temple last year (thank you SRG).

Why do people like you seem to take offense when people like things that you don't. I thought a friend of mine was going to hit me when I said I liked the movie Daredevil. It is just my opinion, why do you take it so personal?

(Message edited by gumby on May 26, 2006)

Czar
Username: Czar

Post Number: 3080
Posted From: 129.137.207.89
Posted on Friday, May 26, 2006 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's a saying that one of the great Irish traditions is getting the hell out of Ireland. The same could be said for a lot of Detroit musicians over the years who've picked up and moved elsewhere. Not because they didn't like the city, but as you start to succeed in the music business, it's tougher to get things done if you don't live in a city like New York, Los Angeles, Nashville, Austin, etc. You end up spending a lot of your downtime from traveling, er, traveling.

Tndetroiter
Username: Tndetroiter

Post Number: 55
Posted From: 149.149.4.190
Posted on Friday, May 26, 2006 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mudflap,

As one currently living in Tennessee I can tell you that Nashville's property taxes are about middle of the road, but there is no city or state income tax anywhere in Tennessee. There is, however, a 10% sales tax on absolutely everything you buy down here (including food and clothing). So it kinda balences out. Retirees move here all the time because there's no income tax only to be shocked by how high and widespread the sales tax is.

Chitaku

Post Number: 382
Posted on Friday, May 26, 2006 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"i think he is weird just for the sake of being weird. Think about it he is from cushy GP.
Eat the weak! "

actually meg is from gp, jack grew up on ferdinand in southwest

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 682
Posted From: 84.156.65.41
Posted on Saturday, May 27, 2006 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What I think is interesting (funny) is, yesterday, Carl Craig (Detroit Electronic Music founder) was spinning at the Graz Electronic Music Festival in Austria and was interviewed and talked about how the "rawness" of Detroit was so powerful and awesome that it helped him to create and become a better Musician. Carl talked the city up as being the "terrible, wonderful place" that it is. Never too positive, but not negative. I think it just shows how strong a person Carl is, but how weak Jack is, that he uses the Energy in a positive way, but Jack is only capable of turning it into anger and causing himself disgrace. In the end, I think it shows the true character of each.

btw, it was really cool to listen to Carl and the Austrians discussing how Detroit was the centeral birth place of Electronic music. Even when I was in Berlin, people recognized Detroit as the place of birth of electronic music, but the Berliners have pride that they took it to a new level. :-)

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 3424
Posted From: 69.215.67.102
Posted on Saturday, May 27, 2006 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gumby, its not personal, but I noticed that so many people liked them just becuase they were from the area.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1079
Posted From: 69.14.122.204
Posted on Saturday, May 27, 2006 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Why do people like you seem to take offense when people like things that you don't?"

I thought he was musically arrogant; came off as a real know-it-all in some of his interviews. He thought he was such a good guitarist (and yeah, he's pretty good) that he could get away with not having a bass player.

Guess what, Jack? Your sound was thin. Thin.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 212
Posted From: 4.229.90.150
Posted on Saturday, May 27, 2006 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

btw, it was really cool to listen to Carl and the Austrians discussing how Detroit was the centeral birth place of Electronic music. Even when I was in Berlin, people recognized Detroit as the place of birth of electronic music,

I thought this guy invented electronic music:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T heremin

He was not from Detroit. Neither was this guy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R obert_Moog

Detroitduo

Post Number: 683
Posted From: 84.156.33.71
Posted on Sunday, May 28, 2006 - 4:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I looove how people are always just looking for ways to prove other people wrong on here.

The two links you put in are for guys who invented Electronic music instruments and electronic music, but that is not what I am talking about. If you know who Carl Craig is, then you know I am talking about "electronica" or Techno. Perhaps I should have been more specific, so people who don't recognize the name wouldn't be confused.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 214
Posted From: 4.229.90.197
Posted on Sunday, May 28, 2006 - 6:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

If you know who Carl Craig is, then you know I am talking about "electronica" or Techno. Perhaps I should have been more specific,

Yes. I know Techno is from Detroit but that isn't what you said. You said "electronic music" which covers a lot of things.

Detroitduo

Post Number: 684
Posted From: 84.156.33.71
Posted on Sunday, May 28, 2006 - 8:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

2 + 2 = 4.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.