Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » I need help finding a location for a low-budget movie. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Dan
Username: Dan

Post Number: 1222
Posted From: 69.47.194.247
Posted on Tuesday, May 23, 2006 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I need help finding a cooperative landlord of an abandon building with a beautiful lobby.

In that lobby I would like to shoot a scene of a low budget movie I have been working on.

Ideally I need a building built in the teen’s or twenties with a lobby and a long stair case.

Does anyone know anyone that might be willing to support some local filmmakers?

We require 1 day of shooting, and would not venture far from the lobby.

Any suggestions?

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 1456
Posted From: 70.228.2.1
Posted on Tuesday, May 23, 2006 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Michigan Central Depot seems to be popular these days.

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 1682
Posted From: 69.212.61.206
Posted on Tuesday, May 23, 2006 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dan - The problem that you'll run into is that most of empty buildings around town will need a decent amount of cleaning (I'm assuming that you'll want to see the beautiful lobby under all of the dust and debris).

Is your crew willing to do some cleaning?

The other problem is that a lot of them have had their electricity shut off. You'll likely need to bring in a portable generator to run all of your lights.

If neither of these issues sounds like a deal-killer, please send me an email away from the forum (just hit the blue link to the left).

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2151
Posted From: 4.229.72.192
Posted on Tuesday, May 23, 2006 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dan, why use an abandoned building?

Why not try a building where you could get to use a very elegant Neoclassic style lobby undisturbed. Go ask Chuck Forbes.... his State Theatre (2,967 seats, 1925, C. Howard Crane) has a wonderfully restored outer Rotunda Lobby with a pair of curved staircases, as well as the barrel vaulted 3 story inner Grand Foyer with a nice straight and long grand staircase.

Mr. Forbes has his offices in the attached Francis Palms Building. I'm sure that the theatre space has a lot of dormant time where you could work undisturbed.

And you and your film crew could quench your thirst from all that filming in the State Bar, which is just a doorway away from the Rotunda Lobby.

(Message edited by Gistok on May 23, 2006)

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 2732
Posted From: 69.47.100.44
Posted on Tuesday, May 23, 2006 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Exactly! Why use an abandoned building? Granted if you want to use a swankier clean place you might be shooting at all oddball hours of the morning and weekends but then that's the way real productions work out. Be flexible and you might never know what you can get.

Dan

Post Number: 1223
Posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I would love to use a lobby as grand as the State, however I have shot 35 hours of footage already in another abandon building, and I need a lobby that could double as that building (Which has worked great, however it lacks the grand lobby I am looking for).

The movie is a horror movie, and it is set in a abandon building.

I will post a preview and things when our site is up and running.

If anyone knows a location with a great lobby ( that is abandoned), and a cool landlord who might help please let me know.

As I said we need less then 1 day, we will be sensitive to our environment, and we understand the risks and hardships of shooting in an abandon building.

Anyone have any ideas?

Dan

Post Number: 1224
Posted on Friday, May 26, 2006 - 9:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bump

Jsmyers
Username: Jsmyers

Post Number: 1728
Posted From: 209.131.7.68
Posted on Friday, May 26, 2006 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is the Fort Shelby's lobby like. I believe it is city owned. Hopefully the city would want to support its creative industries.

Lee Plaza and Whittier are other ones in that boat.

There is an old hotel on Alexandrine near woodward that is privately owned and in re-development limbo. It might have a decent lobby.

What about the Eddystone?

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 7493
Posted From: 198.208.159.19
Posted on Friday, May 26, 2006 - 10:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about the Whitney Building. Maybe the landlords will give you a break if they charge antything.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 1843
Posted From: 129.9.163.105
Posted on Friday, May 26, 2006 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We could go around listing all the abandoned buildings downtown for Dan. Unfortunately, it's not going to help him unless you're the person who can get him access to the listed building.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 1844
Posted From: 129.9.163.105
Posted on Friday, May 26, 2006 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also Dan, you probably should have posted an email address. I'm pretty sure you won't get any owners/landlords of abandoned buildings outing themselves on this forum.

Dan

Post Number: 1225
Posted on Friday, May 26, 2006 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

dmcgowan@grandcircus.net

I was hoping for suggestions on who to contact.

However, if there are property owners out there, please email me I would love to talk to you.

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 509
Posted From: 71.213.228.212
Posted on Friday, May 26, 2006 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My basement looks like a long-abandoned building, you can shoot it there, as long as I can be an extra. :-)

Dag
Username: Dag

Post Number: 220
Posted From: 68.188.238.215
Posted on Saturday, May 27, 2006 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You might have problems with liability, especially with any city owned buildings. I doubt, even if you signed a waiver, that the city would allow any use of currently less than occupied structures. As a result, privat structures might be your only option and you might need to pay to have a liability wiaver be constructed to the owners liking. With that said, as long as the movie is not speaking in a naegative fashion about Detroit I wish you only the best of luck. Perhaps try the Farwell building?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.