Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » NYT checks out D hip hop scene « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 1042
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 3:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MC Ditty

When I told a friend I was headed to Detroit to check out the city's underground hip-hop scene, he e-mailed back, "Have fun in Detroit — if that's not an oxymoron." The D still has one of the highest homicide rates in America, and with the shooting death last month of the D12 rapper Proof, the former murder capital certainly continues to live up to its reputation. But considering that Detroit is the original headquarters of Motown, the birthplace of techno music and the land of the White Stripes, it's clear that my buddy was dead wrong about the place. Detroit has an undeniably deep musical well that's feeding a new generation of artists who can be found rhyming onstage almost nightly in the area's hip-hop clubs.
:
:
When Berry Gordy Jr. yanked Motown out of Motown in 1972, Detroit had to wait over a quarter of a century for Eminem to bring back some of that musical glory. But now even Slim Shady himself has abandoned the 313 area code for the gated suburbs north of the city. Rolling automotive-industry layoffs continue, and it appears as though Detroit is back to being just Detroit again, with one notable exception. In those blocks upon blocks of check-cashing joints and packs of patchy-brown dogs ruling neighborhoods full of empty lots, there are stories being told, a great underground reserve waiting to be tapped. All we have to do is listen.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 361
Posted From: 68.43.107.72
Posted on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 3:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey where is 5 mile?

Nellonfury
Username: Nellonfury

Post Number: 151
Posted From: 68.43.156.135
Posted on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 3:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fenkell Rd. is 5 Mile.

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 1451
Posted From: 66.238.170.34
Posted on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 9:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bump!

Great article! Yes, Detroit is a good place to vacation if you want a non-Disney experience. I have lots of friends who really like coming to Detroit for their vacations because everything is so authentic and unpretentious.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.