Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » IKEA's impact on Canton: HUGE « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mumbly
Username: Mumbly

Post Number: 27
Posted From: 68.248.74.183
Posted on Saturday, May 20, 2006 - 2:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Overnight, a single retailer will turn the western Wayne County town into a super-regional shopping destination...Land prices near the IKEA store have jumped 20 percent in the last few years..."

http://www.mlive.com/mbusiness review/stories/index.ssf?/mbus inessreview/se/stories/2006051 8_ikea.html

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 1614
Posted From: 69.215.66.87
Posted on Saturday, May 20, 2006 - 6:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All this excitement over a furniture store. You mean to tell me the wood from trees grown here in the U.S., used to make furniture, is not as good as the wood from trees grown outside of the U.S.? When Michigan furniture factories close down and hundreds of workers lose their jobs, you will know why? First cars, and now furniture, what other Michigan industry will we lose next?

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 750
Posted From: 71.148.28.99
Posted on Saturday, May 20, 2006 - 7:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...still can't help but think how Detroit could have benefited from sticking this on the site of the Packard plant.

Bussey
Username: Bussey

Post Number: 172
Posted From: 206.208.94.60
Posted on Saturday, May 20, 2006 - 8:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WITH THE THRONGS OF MENDICANTS ROAMING THE PARKING LOT!!!!

yeah great idea.

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 423
Posted From: 35.12.20.68
Posted on Saturday, May 20, 2006 - 9:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"...still can't help but think how Detroit could have benefited from sticking this on the site of the Packard plant."

What on earth makes you think that IKEA would have wanted to build there? It's not near their customer base.

Burnsie

Post Number: 424
Posted From: 35.12.20.68
Posted on Saturday, May 20, 2006 - 9:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Plus all the demolition and contaminant cleanup work that would have been required.

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 1670
Posted From: 69.215.247.206
Posted on Saturday, May 20, 2006 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eric_c thinks about the Packard plant. I think about the old Hudson's site.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 75
Posted From: 68.40.50.194
Posted on Saturday, May 20, 2006 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Ikea prefers suburban stores.

Karl
Username: Karl

Post Number: 2474
Posted From: 207.200.116.139
Posted on Saturday, May 20, 2006 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Once you see the concept inside IKEA, you will understand. It is totally different in the way they market, their selection, and the way you move thru the store. In some stores they even have day care while you shop, but they discovered in a store in Germany that parents would come in, drop off the kids, and either go to work, the movies, or whatever, so that is changed (folks sure are creative, aren't they?)

The products are heavily Scandanavian, and a must-visit place for young folks on a tight budget. Once they open, it will be interesting to hear your reactions.

Naturalsister
Username: Naturalsister

Post Number: 651
Posted From: 70.8.198.63
Posted on Saturday, May 20, 2006 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They do prefer suburban.

I have been to 21 different Ikea Stores in 9 countries. They're just about 99% in the suburbs.

later - naturalsister

Johnnny5
Username: Johnnny5

Post Number: 249
Posted From: 71.227.95.4
Posted on Saturday, May 20, 2006 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm with Royce on this one. Cheap disposable furniture from China is garbage whether it's bought from Wally world or Ikea.

Kilgore_south
Username: Kilgore_south

Post Number: 49
Posted From: 24.176.20.117
Posted on Saturday, May 20, 2006 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I think Ikea prefers suburban stores.

Not always. They have one in Elizabeth, NJ in the shadow of the Bayonne Bridge; and I've been to one in South Philly that's right across the street from the Port of Philadelphia docks. Both stores are doing great. And they wanted to build one in Brooklyn but the neighborhood nixed it.

Ikea is a destination store - people will drive a long way and spend hours there. Doesn't matter if it's in the inner city or out in cupcake land. Too bad Detroit missed out on this one.

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 993
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Saturday, May 20, 2006 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, Ikea does prefer suburbs. The one in Chicago area is in Schaumburg, which is kinda like Chicagolands version of Troy.

Hagglerock
Username: Hagglerock

Post Number: 233
Posted From: 12.214.243.66
Posted on Saturday, May 20, 2006 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't know what Ikea was until a few weeks ago.

Alexei289
Username: Alexei289

Post Number: 1151
Posted From: 68.61.183.223
Posted on Saturday, May 20, 2006 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

... its a furniture store... and its about an hour and a half and about 40$ in gas away from ... who the fuk cares..

Im sick of hearing about this place... I hate piece of junk furniture anyway..

93typhoon
Username: 93typhoon

Post Number: 3
Posted From: 69.244.159.103
Posted on Saturday, May 20, 2006 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

IKEA rocks - I can't wait until it is closer to my home - I usually make one run a year to the Chicago store. Good prices and i like the style of furniture. Sure some is made in China but my couches were made in Canada and some of my other stuff was made in Europe. I have been to about 15 different IKEA stores in 4 countries!

Warriorfan
Username: Warriorfan

Post Number: 365
Posted From: 68.43.81.191
Posted on Saturday, May 20, 2006 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, some people in here sure seem to hate IKEA for some reason. I can't help but think that, if IKEA had built a store in Detroit, that the same people who are currently bashing IKEA would be singing its praises.

Naturalsister

Post Number: 652
Posted From: 68.255.238.220
Posted on Saturday, May 20, 2006 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree Warriorfan. It's one thing to criticize the products.

You don't like their stuff, they don't miss you. They have millions and millions of customers worldwide.

later - naturalsister

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 113
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Saturday, May 20, 2006 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Land prices near the IKEA store have jumped 20 percent in the last few years, estimated Randy Thomas, a retail expert with Colliers International."

Hmm thats less than seven percent per year. Thats not exactly impressive numbers.

"Others cited JC Penney and Best Buy as potential suitors for stores in Canton."

WOW, JC Penney and Best Buy? They'll give Westland a run for their money (I doubt they would leave Westland for Ford Rd). Not exactly upscale shopping.

"It's one of the top retail corridors in metro Detroit," Vakhariya said. "IKEA going there is a huge statement."

Yes I'm sure Troy and Taylor are terrified they will be left behind.

(Message edited by Detroitplanner on May 20, 2006)

Alexei289
Username: Alexei289

Post Number: 1153
Posted From: 68.61.183.223
Posted on Saturday, May 20, 2006 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hate to say it... but ive seen some stuff at big lots for cheaper that looks a hell of a lot better...

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2127
Posted From: 4.229.6.64
Posted on Saturday, May 20, 2006 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is this the same thing as getting excited over an Aldi's store anchoring a shopping center in Highland Park?

The Ann Arbor business writer who wrote this article hypes this up as though it was the 2nd coming of Christ....

20?% increase in land values since 2004? YAWN!!!

And they used the "lifestyle center" term again. (The only terms that makes me gag more than that are the terms "low carb" and "antioxidants").

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1624
Posted From: 68.61.187.234
Posted on Saturday, May 20, 2006 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I'm with Royce on this one. Cheap disposable furniture from China is garbage whether it's bought from Wally world or Ikea.

OK the giant problem with a lot of the gripes on here is that you actually are comparing apples to oranges. All furniture is not created equal, so while you can buy crap at Target OR Ikea, the design, selection and presentation is about 1000% better at Ikea.

It's not all about "there's cheaper furniture" out there. The issue is that this stuff is cheap and it looks really good, and you can get everything in one spot. So is this better quality than other stuff out there? Possibly not. But it IS better design.

I agree that many people will be changing their tune once it opens.

And also, it's true they tend to locate in suburban locations. And they are almost always in sprawl-ville. That was part of the business plan originally - locate someplace cheap, like near outlet malls, and make the store a destination.

Naturalsister

Post Number: 653
Posted From: 68.255.238.220
Posted on Saturday, May 20, 2006 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've loved the place for years. I'm a HUGE fan of some of the textile offerings. Where else can you get a quality/stylish WOOL rug of any significant size for less than $1000? Theirs are in the range of $199-$350.

This will tell you all you want to know about IKEA.

From beginning (1943) through now.

http://www.ikea.com/ms/en_US/a bout_ikea/timeline/full_story. html

I truly admire Mr. Kamprad.
later - naturalsister

(Message edited by naturalsister on May 20, 2006)

Drm
Username: Drm

Post Number: 953
Posted From: 69.213.80.70
Posted on Saturday, May 20, 2006 - 6:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yay, cheaper is always better! I'm so excited. Who cares if my buying decisions cost my fellow citizens their jobs - they can always become a greeter at WalMart. (does Ikea have greeters?)

Drm

Post Number: 954
Posted on Saturday, May 20, 2006 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Forgot to say - it's all about what *I* want for *MY* house. Screw everybody else. That's the American way!

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 3767
Posted From: 24.11.154.56
Posted on Saturday, May 20, 2006 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The average American loves trends and cheap prices, so it is no wonder that so many would be excited. But, like all trends, IKEA too, will pass when (insert name of trendy, cheap retailer) picks a location in (insert name of even more remote township).

The American culture of consumerism is beautiful, huh? With the way retail is reverting, we'll literally be shopping out of warehouses, exclusively, before you know it. Why keep the middle man when you can go directly to the source? lol If this is modern American "success," and a piece of the American Dream, I'll pass.

(Message edited by lmichigan on May 20, 2006)

Naturalsister

Post Number: 654
Posted From: 70.8.96.51
Posted on Saturday, May 20, 2006 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check my post.

This 'concept' began 62+ years ago. Trend? I think not.

Also - America is not it's largest market. Germany is. What is the American Way? I'm not sure anymore.

later - naturalsister

Romanized
Username: Romanized

Post Number: 209
Posted From: 71.4.97.100
Posted on Saturday, May 20, 2006 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Drm

CTFU unless you have a point that can be substantiated.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 76
Posted From: 68.40.50.194
Posted on Saturday, May 20, 2006 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Elizabeth, NJ is an inner-ring suburb of NYC/Newark.

Drm

Post Number: 956
Posted on Saturday, May 20, 2006 - 11:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Romanized, I don't know who you are, but at least get your "clever" acronyms right. Sorry if I offended you because you like to shop at some big box store where you can buy more cheap shit made out of plastic and/or pressed board for cheaper.

If Americans were really smart, they'd take the money they save and invest it instead of using it to buy even more cheap shit.

I don't understand why some people get so excited that some cheesy big box store is moving to the area. Justify it however you want, but the bottom line is that you are celebrating the fact that you can buy the same cheap junk that someone else has in their house. What ever happened to unique? local? personal? Guess it doesn't matter anymore, as long as it's cheap.

Superduperman
Username: Superduperman

Post Number: 92
Posted From: 69.242.221.36
Posted on Sunday, May 21, 2006 - 3:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Drm,

In that case why even shop at all,dont buy anything for fear that someone else on this earth have the same thing in their house.......I see your logic.

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 98
Posted From: 68.33.56.156
Posted on Sunday, May 21, 2006 - 6:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it seems to me the reason IKEA built in canton is to reach two markets--the detroit area and the ann arbor area. IKEA is especially popular with younger college people who are just getting started.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1064
Posted From: 69.136.142.0
Posted on Sunday, May 21, 2006 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll be going to the ikea in burlington ontario next week coming back from ny state to avoid the rush in canton. That store has been around for years, and there is another one closer to Toronto, yet there are still people waiting to get in every morning. When they opened the ikea in phoenix, the nearby freeway had to be shut down for two days. I strongly advise everyone to stay away from the ford rd./haggerty area for a at least a few MONTHS, let alone actually trying to get inside the store.

Ikea furniture is pretty nice, though for durability's sake you need to get the higher end stuff made with real wood, not laminates. Design wise, their stuff is decent, some of it a little higher concept than other stuff there, but overall, while design like Ikea's is pretty run of the mill in Europe, it is pretty avant-gard to people who think art van shit is aspirational.

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 5552
Posted From: 64.228.195.166
Posted on Sunday, May 21, 2006 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yawn. Ikea is great. It really does sound like sour grapes to me. If the store opend IN city limits, most on here would be gusing more than the writer was on Mlive.

Fact of the matter is that they offer quality furiniture for affordable prices.

There are 4 Stores in Metro Toronto all of them are in very urban locations. Like Gravitymachine, I too frequent the Burlington store. I can be there in 3.5 hours door to door. My wife and I have been slowly buying kitchen cabinets a bit at a time. When we're done, we will have remodeled our kitchen for a fraction of the price.

YAY Ikea! However, Canton will be worse than ever.

Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1065
Posted on Sunday, May 21, 2006 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

3.5 hours?! I can usually make it to the lewiston/queenston bridge from the ambassador bridge in ~3 :D

Kilgore_south

Post Number: 50
Posted on Sunday, May 21, 2006 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK technically Elizabeth, NJ is a suburb. But sandwiched between Newark and Staten Island, it feels a lot more like Ecorse than Bloomfield Hills. Yet Ikea built a store there and it's thriving amidst the steel mills and chemical plants. People come from the 5 boroughs and all over Jersey to shop there.

It could have happend to Detroit too, instead of halfway to Ann Arbor.

Cafe
Username: Cafe

Post Number: 1257
Posted From: 84.162.70.117
Posted on Sunday, May 21, 2006 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, the fellow who owns IKEA is the richest man in the world for several reasons. I love the store. I also love the furniture made in N.C., I unfortunatly can't afford to furnish an entire house from the N.C. furniture, so I have some IKEA also. Patrick is outside right now putting together some shelving to fit in our garage. You see, you buy the components and put it together yourself. Not all the stuff they sell is of substandard quality, it is just cheaper because you build it yourself. This keeps the hands on people happy and occupied. IKEA also makes things for compact places. This is a big point, since Target and Walmart are not offering much for creating a compact Kitchen. Yes folks, you can build a custom kitchen with IKEA products. This is a different concept. They are bringing jobs to your area and offering a different product. The Meat balls are good too.

European houses and apartments, don't come with closets, nor with kitchens built in. Most of the time the tenant has to build their own kitchen and then take it with them when they leave. A big reason for this is that most European renters stay in one place for many years, not just one year like the average American renter. Going to IKEA makes sense here.

Enjoy it people. It is different.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 1615
Posted From: 69.215.66.87
Posted on Sunday, May 21, 2006 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To further my point, Detroit and Michigan are losing auto jobs because of Americans'love for foreign cars. Ok, we love foreign cars, even at the detriminent of American workers. Now, a foreign furniture company comes along and we can't wait to break down the door to buy their stuff.

Forget about the U.S. furniture industry or the Michigan furniture industry. Lets spend all of our money at the trendy "foreign" furniture store so that we can brag to our friends that we got our sofa from "IKEA."

How many more U.S. industries and jobs do we have to lose because buying "foreign" impresses the neighbors or because it's dirt cheap? If companies can pay people in other countries crappy wages to make cheap stuff, and we Americans are so eager to buy the stuff, then there won't be a need for any company to manufacture goods here in the United States.

As a result of our "desire" to buy the cheapest thing, more American jobs will be lost, unemployment will increase, and more foreclosures will result. Eventually all the jobs left in the United States will be "Can I help you?"/service jobs. Once companies figure out that they can recruit "foreign" workers to come to this country to do those jobs, then Americans will really be screwed. But, hey, for the few Americans that will have jobs and money, everything they buy will be CHEAP.

Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1625
Posted From: 68.250.205.35
Posted on Sunday, May 21, 2006 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Royce, I'm not going to disagree with you about the American concept of value being all about the lowest price. However I think everyone getting their panties in a bunch about Ikea is a little short-sighted. Of all the big-box retailers, Ikea is possibly the least offensive.

First of all, they don't saturate a market with stores in every township. They are the manufacturer as well as the retailer, so they are not blackmailing their vendors a la WalMart. And they offer something unique, so they really are creating their own market. And it's not like they are putting any Michigan manufacturers out of business, since last time I checked there were no Michigan manufacturers of cheap modern anything.

I've said it before on the forum in defense of Ikea - they are affordable and their merchandise is of reasonable quality. Most of it you won't have in 5 years (or it'll look pretty run-down), but when you've got $1000 to furnish an apartment, it starts to look like a pretty reasonable place to shop.

Do I buy stuff there? No, because at this point I know waaaay too much about furniture construction and the level of quality in their stuff is unacceptable to me. Do I enjoy going to the store? Sure, it's a great place.

And frankly, anything that nudges the aesthetic of most Michigan residents into the 20th century (let alone the 21st) is a good thing in my book.

Cafe
Username: Cafe

Post Number: 1258
Posted From: 84.162.70.117
Posted on Sunday, May 21, 2006 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At the same time Royce, Europeans love American cars and Ford of Europe is doing very well, which helps to keep the Americans working. Really, do some fact finding before you spew out a bunch of nonsense. This company will help the local economy, not hurt it. It will employ many locals and will pay them well. If you want to shop at Walmart...do it. Shop where you want, but stop posting as if you are some all knowing economist.

Dial H, they have some wonderful Duvets.

Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1067
Posted on Sunday, May 21, 2006 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ikea is also a progressive and responsible manufacturer.
Case in Point: I recent bought these little porcelain votive candle holder thingys, Ikea has them made in a factory in the former east german that used to make porcelain electrical insulators. The factory itself is apparently the biggest employer in town and instead of finding some 3rd world factory to produce them, they went where the expertise and need for jobs was.....just imagine if someone did something similar with one of our own closed auto plants...

Some of their products are manufactured in china and india, though unlike walmart, they are supposedly only made in plants that offer a living wage and proper working conditions

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2131
Posted From: 4.229.81.31
Posted on Sunday, May 21, 2006 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe its a generational thing... for folks in their 20's and getting started....

My house has been furnished for 17 years... mostly North Carolina type quality stuff, not the Bombay Co. type thin veneer stuff that gets easily nicked and damaged and needs replacing every decade. So maybe that's why I don't get excited about IKEA. (And I'm not questioning their quality!)

Besides, there's no more room for furniture at my house.... so I'll just CTFU !! :-)

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 99
Posted From: 68.33.56.156
Posted on Sunday, May 21, 2006 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

one word to those worried about IKEA taking jobs or any other foreign company---COMPETE

Burnsie

Post Number: 425
Posted From: 35.12.24.131
Posted on Sunday, May 21, 2006 - 6:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjw--

How can a U.S. firm, with U.S. workers, compete with a foreign company (or American company with plants overseas) that pays its workers a dollar a day?

Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1626
Posted From: 68.250.205.35
Posted on Sunday, May 21, 2006 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Burnsie, that's not a very can-do attitude!

Be an AmeriCAN, not an AmeriCAN'T!

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 3772
Posted From: 24.11.154.56
Posted on Sunday, May 21, 2006 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol, that's all I have.

Ray
Username: Ray

Post Number: 699
Posted From: 68.42.220.37
Posted on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 12:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We furnished an musch of a 3 bedroom rental home with Ikea because it was cheap; I'd say 1/3 of the stuff (pillows, chairs, a children's table) did well; the other 2/3 (lamps, sofa, tables) fell apart with stunning speed. When we moved 12 months later, we through out a ton of our Ikea furniture. I'd hate to call it disposable, but it did not hold up well at all.

Lt_tom
Username: Lt_tom

Post Number: 94
Posted From: 208.0.106.240
Posted on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 6:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a downtown IKEA....in Stockholm, and it blends into its surroundings...as opposed to being an obnoxiously oversized blue box with yellow letters.

Cabasse
Username: Cabasse

Post Number: 4
Posted From: 69.133.90.28
Posted on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

they actually built one recently just next to the cbd of atlanta in a new brownfield redevelopment, atlantic station. i bought a few things from there on my last day in town to bring with me up here, and then recently got some furniture delivered (from chicago i assume) for my studio. it's of better quality than i've seen from other cheap assemble-it-yourself shit. (my desk hasn't started peeling/staining from drink rings, for one)

it's one store, for a niche market. (poor college students and twentysomethings)

unfortunately, unlike the stockholm store, it is an obnoxious blue/yellow box.

(Message edited by cabasse on May 22, 2006)

Jdkeepsmiling
Username: Jdkeepsmiling

Post Number: 96
Posted From: 208.50.91.234
Posted on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would also like to point out to everyone, that regardles of the quality of the product, they treat thier workers with dignity. This is no Walmart trying to get people to work at 5.15 wth no benifits. They generally provide benifits and a pretty good wage. They work more on the European model when it comes to treating thier employees well. I cannot attest to where thier furniture is made...but they do treat their employees well.

Udmphikapbob
Username: Udmphikapbob

Post Number: 151
Posted From: 206.81.45.34
Posted on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you're right, Royce...i'll just sit on the floor for 5 years until i can save up the $4000 for a michigan-made Herman Miller Eames chair.

/hates going to Ikea
//has basement full of Ikea crap

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 724
Posted From: 64.139.64.80
Posted on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well we will be going out to shop, if not to buy just to experience it. I will say that IKEA has some neet lighting that is incredibly affordable. I can't speak about the furniture...I've never placed my rear on an IKEA piece.

I've also heard about their great business practices...I know the owner (kamprad) lives a very modest lifestyle...this is from an about page:

Frugality and Charity: On the one hand, Kamprad has a reputation for being, well, "cheap". He takes the subway to work, and when he drives, it's an old Volvo. Rumor is that when he stays in a hotel, if he feels the urge to drink one of those expensive sodas from the wetbar, he replaces it later with one picked up from a nearby convenience store. Yet IKEA has a long tradition of community outreach and philanthropy, with each store encouraged to support local causes, plus international sponsorship of UNICEF and others.

Eastsidedog
Username: Eastsidedog

Post Number: 386
Posted From: 69.220.142.7
Posted on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cafe explains IKEA well. It's good for a few things when you're on a budget and their stuff is generally well designed and well made. I have a chair, lamp, bookshelf and a few other things and they have mostly held up well over the years. Also, Cafe noted that they are good for furnishing tight spaces on a budget (i.e. the urban environment) and she is right that not many others target this market.

As far as uniqueness goes, IKEA furniture won't be unique anymore in Metro Detroit once this store goes in. All us folks who went to Chicago and Toronto over the years to visit IKEA won't have unique stuff anymore. Anyone who brags after this store opens will be a dim wit.

I have to say though that you can get way cooler, retro and vintage low cost furniture at the antique mall in Eastern Market. It won't be shiny and new but who cares! I agree that many young people are too consumer obsessed with the shiny and new, and will go crazy furnishing their whole apartments in IKEA. puke!!!

Kilgore_south

Post Number: 51
Posted on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has anybody mentioned the kitchen/dining stuff yet? The furniture's cool, but what I usually buy is the cookware/dinnerware type stuff. The prices are great of course, and the quality is fair to middling. But if I'm paying $5.00 for a 3-piece skillet set I don't really care if most of the teflon has peeled off in a year.

Drm

Post Number: 957
Posted From: 69.212.230.169
Posted on Tuesday, May 23, 2006 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like Ikea's going to be good for the solid waste industry in the area. Yay, Ikea.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10106
Posted From: 69.246.37.236
Posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 12:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fuck Ikea. Bring us a Cheese Cake Factory in Troy, Royal Oak, or Ferndale! RIGHT HERE, RIGHT NOW, RIGHT HERE, RIGHT NOW! haha

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 3387
Posted From: 68.79.112.43
Posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 12:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kilgore_south,
Why bother with IKEA? CHEAP CHARLIES on Gratiot on the edge of Eastern Market has 2nd's of restaurant quality cookware at about 1/3 the price of a restaurant supply.

Those heavy-duty aluminum pans will outlast both mine and my heirs lives. Way better than Teflon.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 793
Posted From: 4.229.27.178
Posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 5:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

NEVER discuss Fight Club...

Ro_resident
Username: Ro_resident

Post Number: 163
Posted From: 63.85.13.248
Posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 8:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Canton Twp was told to expect 40,000 cars/100,000 people to visit the store each of the first few weekends.

Canton even asked MDOT to delay some work on I-275 to help ease some of the initial influx.

I used to live near the intersection of Haggerty and Cherry Hill. I'm glad I'm not there now.

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 1486
Posted From: 67.100.158.10
Posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Canton Twp was told to expect 40,000 cars/100,000 people to visit the store each of the first few weekends.

And that's before everyone finds out it's open! Have fun stewing in traffic, Cantonites.

Eastsidedog
Username: Eastsidedog

Post Number: 389
Posted From: 12.47.224.8
Posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Fuck Ikea. Bring us a Cheese Cake Factory in Troy, Royal Oak, or Ferndale! RIGHT HERE, RIGHT NOW, RIGHT HERE, RIGHT NOW! haha

What's with all this drooling over this chain restaurant? I don't get it. Fuck chain restaurants. :-)

Mumbly
Username: Mumbly

Post Number: 28
Posted From: 68.79.81.217
Posted on Thursday, June 01, 2006 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Uh-oh....

Police design strategy to meet Ikea rush:

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20060601/O PINION03/606010383/1016/METRO0 5

Ltrain
Username: Ltrain

Post Number: 86
Posted From: 68.248.33.49
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll start by saying no offense to anyone who is actually in line and able to read this but seriously WTF? Waiting in line? I can't believe I am seeing this on the news. My brother in law lives in Canton and he wants to go over there and heckle them. From the car of course. If you have a computer you could have been shopping there for......ever.

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 407
Posted From: 198.103.184.76
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Drive to Burlington, Ontario or shop on line if you really need an IKEA fix.

Or for a $100 US service charge and your credit card number, I will buy you what you want from the Ottawa IKEA and then have IKEA ship your products to you. No camping involved.

Naturalsister

Post Number: 706
Posted From: 68.255.167.138
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ikea doesn't do shipping from their stores. You have to arrange your own or shop online.

later - naturalsister

Iddude313
Username: Iddude313

Post Number: 28
Posted From: 69.212.39.94
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to IKEA on Saturday for the preview shopping day.
I didnt spend too much.
The only line I had to wait in was the cashier.
It was a packed madhouse.
I'm glad I went before the big opening Wed.
Maybe I'll go in a few weeks in the early am on a Tuesday.

Supersport

Post Number: 10156
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I have been to about 15 different IKEA stores in 4 countries!

Isn't anybody gonna make fun of this?

The_aram
Username: The_aram

Post Number: 4934
Posted From: 68.41.124.8
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why? Is there something to make fun of?

Naturalsister

Post Number: 707
Posted From: 68.30.153.162
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I have been to 21 different Ikea Stores in 9 countries."

Don't forget to make fun of me too. My post #651.

later - naturalsister

Hysteria
Username: Hysteria

Post Number: 321
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But WHY???

21 IKEAs? WTF?

(Message edited by HYSTERIA on June 05, 2006)

Supersport

Post Number: 10157
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn Naturalsister, I missed that one. 21 Ikeas...ditto the WTF?

Naturalsister

Post Number: 708
Posted From: 68.30.153.162
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 12:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Having traveled extensively over the past 20 years, it wasn't difficult to make these visits, since I do like to check out IKEA's selctions around the world.

I have to upload some photos of my loft. It all depends on your taste and talent for mixing IKEA's offerings with your other furnishings.

I am an avid estate sale shopper and have come up with a great mix of modern and classic.

I'm proud to say that I have entered numerous design contests and actually have recieved some accolades from several very well know design publications.

One honorable mention in Architectural Digest - 2003, and a 10th place (there were 24 of us) in Metropolitan Home - 2004.

So it's a matter of design options and IKEA does offer an array of furnishings beyond particle board dressers. Their textiles are great and include lots of choices in natural fabrics.

later - naturalsister

Naturalsister

Post Number: 716
Posted From: 68.255.240.120
Posted on Friday, June 09, 2006 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any Cantonites on the board who can tell us first hand what the impact has been so far?

I have a friend in Canton who says the energy level around there is definitely up.

later- naturalsister

Gargoyle
Username: Gargoyle

Post Number: 7
Posted From: 24.192.189.109
Posted on Friday, June 09, 2006 - 7:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sure IKEA is a great boon for Canton. Many local businesses will benefit from the crowds who must eat and gas up their vehicles. But as I asked on the other IKEA thread, Why is this store such a big deal? I have visited their Toronto store and also purchased from them online and don't find them to be anything all that special. How shallow are we as a society that this is the consuming interest here this week. Perhaps I am overly serious in thinking all that media energy could have gone to a better use. Sorry, guess I just don't get it. Probably born without a "shopping gene."

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1181
Posted From: 136.2.1.101
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We're planning on checking out Ikea on Sunday morning, aram's comment on the other thread makes me hopeful that it won't be *too* mobbed. Mmmm, meatballs.

With any luck, we'll come home with a Björnsta, a Reenskåug, a Hjälpa, two or three Skapsinredningars and maybe a couple of Pöplis.

Michigansheik
Username: Michigansheik

Post Number: 156
Posted From: 63.65.97.67
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i like their food.
it's too bad they placed it where they did, that intersection was alread f'd.
all the restaurants have been busier since it openend. the main benefactors are nonchain businesses along Ford road that will get some new exposure if they want it.

Adamjab19
Username: Adamjab19

Post Number: 679
Posted From: 24.192.148.148
Posted on Thursday, June 15, 2006 - 1:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone see the Ikea room being towed behind a truck down woodward before the Tiger's game tonight? You could get the whole room under $3,000. there was a person in it though.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.