Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » U-64oz. Miss Vernors « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 558
Posted From: 66.189.188.28
Posted on Thursday, May 18, 2006 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Got this from Unlimiteds Detroit. Looks like fun. Points to the GLMI for preserving a bit of history....

www.unlimitedsdetroit.com/docs /MissVernors.pdf

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 3340
Posted From: 68.79.102.113
Posted on Thursday, May 18, 2006 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just finished photographing some old Vernors bottles I'm putting on ebay.

Oldest and best sodapop in the world.

Can't wait to see her run.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1250
Posted From: 68.42.251.225
Posted on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GLMI and the Unlimiteds have had a healthy relationship for many years. I drafted the agreement on behalf of the Institute several years ago along with an atty representing the Pioneers. At that time, the Dossin was open full-time, attendance was up, and we had a fair share of volunteers.
However, with the museum now only open on weekends,and the curator retired, participation has lessened.
However, the GLMI is still trying to assist as evidenced by this fundraiser. This is a good opportunity for those interested in Unlimiteds,as well as a chance to visit "The Miracle Mile" in SCS. Very worth attending.
I believe that Fred Alter, former GLMI board member, probably best remembered as the driver for Such Crust may have had a year or so in the cockpit of Miss Vernors.

Douglasm

Post Number: 559
Posted on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, you learn something new everyday. The 1976 (the GLMI boat is a replica of it) Miss Vernors was a Les Staudacher designed hull that was renamed and/or sold to The Squire Shop, a Seattle based mens clothing chain. In Heat 1-A of the '77 Seafair Regatta in Seattle, the boat hooked and flipped out driver Jerry Bangs, injuring him fatily.

Jerry drove the Vernors in 1976. The hull itself continuted campaigning as the Squire Shop (and a number of other names) and last appeared in '86 as Oh Boy! Oberto.

As to Fearless Freddie Alder, he drove a Jerry Kalen owned U-64 Miss Vernors in 1975, a year before the hull in question raced, and DID create "The Pioneers Of Powerboating", an arm of the GLMI.

Information from Fred Farley, ARBA historian, and one of the wise men of boatracing history.

Douglasm

Post Number: 560
Posted on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, when the Gold Cup rolls into town, you'll see on the water both The Blue Blaster 1982 Atlas Van Lines and THE beer boat, the 1980 Griffon powered Miss Budweiser, going head to head like they did in the '82 Gold Cup. To make the whole thing semi-complete, Chis Hanauer will pilot the Atlas. www.thunderboats.org

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 115
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Saturday, May 20, 2006 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

64 oz? I thought they had two liter bottles on sale at Farmer Jacks!

Douglasm

Post Number: 561
Posted on Saturday, May 20, 2006 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good one, Detroitplanner.....

I'm not sure how Unlimited numbers are assigned. Maybe The Rock could help here. I do know it had the same number as The Squire Shop when Jerry Bangs was killed.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1256
Posted From: 68.42.251.225
Posted on Saturday, May 20, 2006 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have no clue regarding how Unlimited numbers are assigned.
Perhaps Douglasm could contact Fred Farley.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.