Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » NFL Youth Center « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 1650
Posted From: 69.219.103.109
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A couple of months ago, I made a series of posts on this forum that were critical of spending $6 million for the NFL Youth Education Town. My concerns were that a) there already were a couple of youth centers in the area (a YMCA and the Northwest Activities Center) and b) I thought the money would be much better spent hiring more police officers since DPD wasn't able to respond to every 9-1-1 call.

However, I've since seen a few things that have changed my mind about the place. In the 3 months since the center was announced, I've seen 6 new businesses open in the area. I've also seen commericial buildings that have sat vacant for years get fixed up and put on the market.

All of this is a very positive step forward.

So, my question at this point is: when will they actually start construction on the center?

The press releases that I've seen all called for a spring 2006 start for construction. It's now May 15. Does anyone know when it'll start?

Magnasco
Username: Magnasco

Post Number: 108
Posted From: 209.69.165.10
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It won't. They took your critical comments to heart, re-evaluated their plan, and decided you were right. Too late to change your mind now. Oops.

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 1651
Posted From: 69.219.103.109
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny.

30th_street
Username: 30th_street

Post Number: 14
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The correct name is the NFL Youth Education Town / Boys & Girls Club on the campus of Dick and Sandy Dauch. The center will be a Boys & Girls Club run by the Boys & Girls Clubs of Southeastern Michigan. The six million came from doners supporting the Boys & Girls Club which is a private organization. In each city that the Super Bowl visits the NFL has made a commintment to build a youth center. In our city the Boys & Girls Club was selected to partner with the NFL. There was a plan to develop the whole Herman Gardens area including housing and retail. The Boys & Girls Club will fit nicely into the plan.
Spring is not over so be patient. Look for fences to be built before construction.
http://www.bgcsm.org/news.aspx #1

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.