Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Push is on to continue Motown Winter Blast « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitman
Username: Detroitman

Post Number: 978
Posted From: 216.78.32.155
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 5:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Push is on to continue Motown Winter Blast

By Robert Ankeny

May 15, 2006
Crain's Detroit

Motown Winter Blast, a success during Super Bowl XL, could become an annual event for downtown Detroit.

With widespread support for continuing the downtown carnival that had its tryout in 2005, what remains is getting money and coordination, said George Jackson, president of the Detroit Economic Growth Corp.

“We have the best guy around to lead this in Jonathan Witz,” Jackson said.

Witz, president of Pontiac-based Jonathan Witz & Associates Inc., which produced the first two Winter Blasts, hopes to repeat the successes.

Witz, also producer of the Arts, Beats and Eats Labor Day festival in Pontiac, hopes to work with the Downtown Detroit Partnership and gain broad private and public support for the event.

“We have officially signed it over to (Witz),” said Susan Sherer, former executive director of the Super Bowl XL Host Committee, now working as a consultant. “I think he has every intention to keep it going. Even in the worst weather conditions, there was a real hunger. Sponsors saw that, too.”

Witz, interviewed by phone last week while traveling in Ireland, said that working with the Downtown Partnership is an important step because it will help establish a bond with downtown businesses and major companies.

“We think we can create a magical event that is a continuation of the excitement, with a slightly smaller footprint and smaller budget,” he said. The 2005 event operated with a $1.8 million budget, while the 2006 Super Bowl version spent $3 million, he said. City officials have estimated that $1.5 million is needed to do it again.

“I think it’s important that Motown Winter Blast find a way to create excitement outside of festival boundaries,” he said.

Witz said he intends to invite Olympia Entertainment and Ford Field officials to plan and schedule sports and concert events to take place at the same time as Winter Blast.

“To make this into a true regional winter carnival” that can approach the impact it had during the Super Bowl, Witz said, “we can’t just do it outside.”

Witz said he has had “good conversations with some potential sponsors.” He wants to garner support from outside traditional corporate donors.

“We want some help from the DEGC, the Detroit Metro Convention & Visitors Bureau and the Michigan Economic Development Corp. There will be enough going on to justify their support.”

Witz said he’ll be approaching more members of the corporate community in the weeks ahead.

“It’s a difficult time, but we can make a great case that the Winter Blast can be really important as an ongoing economic impact to downtown, and achieve an ongoing positive image, showcasing the continued improvements,” he said.

“It is so impactful to draw a half-million visitors in the middle of winter, showing that Detroit has year-round potential. It supports a quality of life throughout the entire region; people throughout the tri-county will get benefits.”

According to the Super Bowl XL Host Committee, attendance for the 2005 event was more than 275,000. This year’s event drew more than 1 million.

Included, he said, will be “a tremendous amount of free, family-oriented activities.”

Witz said that Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick has given his “100 percent backing and support” for continuing the project.

“Motown Winter Blast was an overwhelming success during Super Bowl, and I wholeheartedly embrace the idea of our city once again hosting the winter celebration,” Kilpatrick said in a statement to Crain’s. “I look forward to meeting with Jonathan and his team to discuss their plan.”

Ann Lang, president of the Downtown Partnership, said the event should be resurrected.

“George Jackson has hit the nail on the head,” she said. “We’ll need the sponsorships to take it to the right level.”

She said the event would not be on quite the same scale as it was for Super Bowl XL. “There are a lot of people who want to see this continue; it’s a great time of year for that kind of event.”
http://www.crainsdetroit.com/a pps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/2006 0515/SUB/60514008/-1/toc

Ron
Username: Ron

Post Number: 127
Posted From: 66.174.79.232
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 8:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That would be tremendous if the event could turn in to a larger event, with activities, concerts, etc. at Ford Field and the Fox at the same time as the traditional Winter Blast activities.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1062
Posted From: 69.14.122.204
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 9:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It should be an annual event. It's about time that our legendary Michigan winters were turned into a positive for the region.

Naturalsister
Username: Naturalsister

Post Number: 638
Posted From: 70.8.0.147
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 9:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thumbs up. They'll get it done.

Witz and his people are dilligent. I had an aquaintance inquire about a concession stand. They never let up. Follow-up phone calls, cutting deals.

They will get it done.

later - naturalsister

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 723
Posted From: 68.60.177.56
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really hope they do. It was very cool (if a bit over-corporate) and should bring a lot of people down.

They need to fix the transportation bugs and get rid of that disgusting Coors Lite!

Jimelnino
Username: Jimelnino

Post Number: 450
Posted From: 68.248.42.22
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought it was already meant to be an annual event, well I hope they keep it then. Any chance we get to bring people downtown is a chance we can't let slip away.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10070
Posted From: 64.118.137.226
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It should be advertised in multi-states. I'm sure that a good number from Pittsburgh would return for the event. It has the makings to be another spectacular event for the city.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 479
Posted From: 65.42.23.2
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was orginally designed as a two year deal

Year one was to test how things would go in preparation for year 2 with the Super Bowl.

I think the only major hang up would be sponsoships, if they can secure enough BIG TIME sponsors it will continue. Even if they scaled it back to the size it was in year one, that would be nice. We should have something in the winter, we have enough attractions to warrant it in CM.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 724
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They need more music. A lot more music. Something Detroit has in splendid abundance.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 2617
Posted From: 69.47.100.44
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was a great event when it first launched and was even better for the Super Bowl. I'd really like to see this event continue. It brought people of all denominations in from all over and it was a great time to be had by families. Bravo to Witz & company for getting the first ones under way. Now not seeming to be greedy, but we want more! They've been great for the area and I think they could really expand more now.

Naturalsister
Username: Naturalsister

Post Number: 642
Posted From: 68.255.238.220
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More Music?

I thought there was quite a variety. I walked from tent to tent for over 7 hours and there were great bands at avery turn.

I loved it. This will be great event to advertise multi-state. I talked to tons of Pittsburgh and Ohio folks whi were here for the first time - had a great time and said they would like to return.

later - naturalsister

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 725
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In other words, more music! There can't be enough!

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 2646
Posted From: 69.47.100.44
Posted on Wednesday, May 17, 2006 - 1:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If they expand beyond Campus Martius, bringing on more music to more stages wouldn't be an issue.

Who says that we northern snowbound folks can't have fun in the winter?? This is proof that if they build it, they will come.

Jelk
Username: Jelk

Post Number: 3737
Posted From: 66.208.233.74
Posted on Wednesday, May 17, 2006 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just hope Royce will be able to complete his downtown ski hill in time.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 38
Posted From: 35.8.144.6
Posted on Wednesday, May 17, 2006 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It would be a great showcase of our Michigan winter...that is, if it is cold and snowing, unlike this past winterblast when it was 45 and sunny.

Jelk
Username: Jelk

Post Number: 3738
Posted From: 66.208.233.74
Posted on Wednesday, May 17, 2006 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't worry they have these machines that make snow so Royce could set it up to allow you to ski even if it is 45 and sunny.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.