Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Could the Jefferson Ave area support a fresh fish market? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Bushay
Username: Bushay

Post Number: 11
Posted From: 68.61.167.97
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 1:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've came upon a location between let's say Belle Isle and Alter with some pretty cheap rent that I thought would make for a great "You buy we Fry" type of fresh fish market. I dont live in this area but I do work in the general vicinity and after doing a search on yahoo, there doesnt seem to be any compitition other than the Farmer Jacks on St.Jean. Theres an aweful lot of new home and condo construction going on or will be happening soon so the time might be right to jump in now before the rents get any higher. Could even do a combination fresh fish and BBQ joint as well. My question is, do any of you believe that area would support something like this, this close to the river? Makes me wonder since there isnt any in the area now other than one on Warren and Conner.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 8458
Posted From: 70.53.96.156
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Come on! That's what African Town is for. Well, that and popcorn and some juice.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 1510
Posted From: 69.221.35.202
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well you've got proximity to the water so that's your first asset in the fish market. If you choose your location well and really put some effort into it, you could capitalize quite well, and perhaps even tap into the commuter market along Jefferson, which is probably what you want to do. You could talk to the folks which run the fish fry-type shop up around Chene and Vernor. It usually seems like they are pretty busy. For an example of a nice full-fledged fresh fish market which has local and imported fish, check out Grosse Pointe Fish on Mack past Moross. http://detroit.citysearch.com/ profile/5247780/?brand=smx_yp- nc

For location, I think you could either try a space in one of the older buildings between Chalmers and Alter (probably the cheapest), or some of the similar-type spaces between McClellan and Van Dyke near Indian Village and Berry Sub, which is a nicer and busier neighborhood. If you somehow had a ton of startup cash, building or finding space between Marquette St. and St. Jean--where there is the newer shopping center, a new Dairy Freeze, new Gas Station, and new "Legends" Grill--would be your optimal spot I think. Bear in mind that there is a lot of new housing to the south of Jefferson here. You could look into that empty-looking "Motor City Yacht Club" building on Jeffeson across from that new development, could be the right size and right visibility for you.

Good luck.

(Message edited by mackinaw on May 15, 2006)

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 1440
Posted From: 66.238.170.39
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Give Chris Garland a call at JEBA. He can give you the contacts you need to see if the idea would be feasible.

http://www.jeffersoneast.org/

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 489
Posted From: 71.213.228.212
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is also Blue Bay Fish Market on Kercheval just north of Beaconsfield in G.P.Park. Usually have great fresh fish, although it can be a tad pricey on occasion.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 290
Posted From: 129.9.163.234
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nature, and business abhors a vaccum. If there is money to be made selling fish there, someone will open a shop. If there is not one there, the demand might not exsist.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 162
Posted From: 209.220.229.254
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's what Detroit needs, another fish fry spot. Don't forget to open another hair and nails shop too, maybe a car wash.

Not what I thought was going to be discussed when I opened this thread.

Hysteria
Username: Hysteria

Post Number: 232
Posted From: 216.223.168.132
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it's a good area for a fish market. Nice traffic flow ... proximity to water as was mentioned earlier. As long as the product is high quality I think it could work.

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 803
Posted From: 136.1.1.101
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What the hell does proximity to water have to do for a "You Buy We Fry" place?

Track75
Username: Track75

Post Number: 2354
Posted From: 12.75.19.38
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What am I missing here? Three people have mentioned the water.

Proximity to the river is an advantage how? They're not going to be fishing for their inventory in the river, or accepting deliveries straight from the fishing fleet are they?

How does Superior Fish in RO survive?

Track75
Username: Track75

Post Number: 2355
Posted From: 12.75.19.38
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I obviously type a lot slower than Sharmaal.

Hysteria

Post Number: 234
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's psychological.

water = seafood/fish

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 2616
Posted From: 69.47.100.44
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Water= seafood? It's a thready connection at best.

In all these years of being IN this area I never once considered my proximity to the water any inducement or any connection to a fine fish market or a fine seafood restaurant.

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 805
Posted From: 136.1.1.101
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hysteria = slow/shortbus

Hysteria

Post Number: 238
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Sharmaal.

Tayshaun22
Username: Tayshaun22

Post Number: 159
Posted From: 69.14.101.116
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who is gonna buy fish that are from the DETROIT RIVER is the real question.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 3299
Posted From: 68.79.119.13
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, the real question is will you have parking in front?

Jltyler
Username: Jltyler

Post Number: 279
Posted From: 70.227.207.104
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

That's what Detroit needs, another fish fry spot. Don't forget to open another hair and nails shop too, maybe a car wash.

God forbid a SMALL BUISNESS opens in our economic drought. Thats definetly not what detroit needs, wheres Wal-Mart when you need one.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 3719
Posted From: 67.162.172.142
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it's a great idea, and I too was completely confused as to why proximity to the water would mean anything for this fish market. The location would be great, too. We have very few authentic fish markets where I live, and I eat a lot of fish.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 1516
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Proximity to water matters! Haven't you seen the guy selling carp on Jefferson!

You'll have to excuse my early morning lapse of reason, although, we haven't heard from Bushay on whether or not he/she has their own fishing vessels. Plenty of folks still eat out of the Great Lakes, btw.

Bushay

Post Number: 13
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey now that's the type of response's I was looking for! Now, by promixity to the river....just talking to a few retailers in the area, what I got out of this was that the closer people live to the river [water], the more they like to do their own fishing, instead of purchasing.
Mackinaw...I agree about the commuter market along Jefferson being good but was thinking that you only have so much real estate between Jefferson and the river. So that's a bit limited. The location between St. Jean and Marquette, I believe would conflict too much with the fresh fish dept in Farmer Jacks so I wanted to keep a little ways away from them if possible.

Bvos...thanks, I'll surely look into this.

FocusontheD...maybe theres not a market for this but...there isnt a whole lot of you buy we fry types in the area.

Jams...THAT...is one negative of the main site I had my eye on. But there are plenty of other store fronts with plenty of parking.

Thanks for all the feedback and No...i've yet to buy my first vessel!!!

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 502
Posted From: 69.222.54.70
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Before you do anything, I suggest you talk to the guys at Suttons Drugs at Jefferson/Chalmers and ask them why the fresh fish market that opened there last year (behind them) went out of business

Bushay

Post Number: 14
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was that LAST year? And didnt he kinda have a bad location off of Jefferson but on Chalmers. Around th e corner? I could be wrong but if thats true he sure didnt have a very good location as I drive that route every day for the past few years and vaguely remember him. I'm not doubting you and appreciate the advice, I just remember him being in a poorly visable location off of Jefferson. Maybe that had a lot to do with it. Could be a number of reasons.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 505
Posted From: 69.222.54.70
Posted on Tuesday, May 16, 2006 - 12:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Off Jeff but visible as you drove from downtown to GP.

I don't know. It was part of that whole remodel job so I took notice and was hoping that they would make something of it.

Jams

Post Number: 3303
Posted From: 68.252.69.188
Posted on Tuesday, May 16, 2006 - 1:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bushay,
I recommend a trip to Wyandotte to check out Weyand's on Biddle (Jefferson), they do a tremendous amount of business.

Sorry about the parking question, just another jab in a long-going debate.

Let us know if this happens, I could give up my Eastern Market fish stores to support someone who offers a good selection other than just "buy and fry". Good luck.

Let me check that Fish Stew recipe, 4 Red Snapper heads, 1lb of mackeral.....

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 69
Posted From: 70.233.3.26
Posted on Tuesday, May 16, 2006 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Mackinaw, do you remember Bell's in Mackinaw City? They didn't cook it for you, but that was some fresh fish.

Morena
Username: Morena

Post Number: 419
Posted From: 216.45.2.138
Posted on Tuesday, May 16, 2006 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw a Mobil gas station that has space for lease on E. Jefferson Ave.

You could put the "You Buy and We Fry Fish Market" inside and get your fish while you gas up!

Bushay

Post Number: 15
Posted on Tuesday, May 16, 2006 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Morena...with todays gas prices, whenever we buy...they already fry us. We'd have to come up with another slogan. :-)

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 57
Posted From: 68.40.195.233
Posted on Tuesday, May 16, 2006 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bushay, I'm vegetarian, so no fish for me, but I think this is still a good idea. especially if you coupled it with fish/chips (fries) kind of thing? that would combine two purchasing bases for fish markets... for example, my mom, who happens to live a short walk from where you're talking, would not especially be interested in a "you buy we fry" place... but if there was some character and you had some kind of fish and chips special, she'd be all about that... just be sure to have malt vinager...

Mackinaw

Post Number: 1526
Posted on Tuesday, May 16, 2006 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ravine, most definitly. Pretty sure it's still there, supplying fish to the local restaurants, and individuals can still buy straight from there. Might have to stop in over Memorial Day.

Morena: we could start something new here in Detroit with that...attach a fish place rather than a McDonald's to a gas station haha!

Hysteria

Post Number: 254
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Tuesday, May 16, 2006 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mackinaw, are you originally from that area? My folks have a home in Cheboygan.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 1529
Posted on Wednesday, May 17, 2006 - 12:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nope, from the east side. I've been blessed with a lot of time spent in the Cheboygan/Mackinaw City area thanks to the family having a small place there.

Cheboygan is a very interesting old town.

Hysteria

Post Number: 258
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Wednesday, May 17, 2006 - 12:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I kind of like how Cheboygan hasn't turned into Charlevoix or Petoskey, etc. It's still, for the most part, stayed a sleepy little town for the past 60 years. We are on Round Pointe on Mullett Lake. It seems like the middle of nowhere, but our address is Cheboygan. My dad is retiring this year (age 50!!) and plans to move up there full time.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 1533
Posted From: 69.218.77.30
Posted on Wednesday, May 17, 2006 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My Dad is older and still can only dream of his retirement up there...your pops is lucky.

My parents went with the Great Lakes, about six minutes out of Cheboygan towards Mackinaw.

Funny how the subject of fish lead to this thread hijack.

Eastsidedog
Username: Eastsidedog

Post Number: 366
Posted From: 12.47.224.7
Posted on Thursday, May 18, 2006 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

OK, the real question is will you have parking in front?

Bringing up the real issues! Thanks Jams!

Thursdaynext
Username: Thursdaynext

Post Number: 6
Posted From: 70.227.12.239
Posted on Thursday, May 18, 2006 - 6:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Hey Mackinaw, do you remember Bell's in Mackinaw City? They didn't cook it for you, but that was some fresh fish."

"Ravine, most definitly. Pretty sure it's still there, supplying fish to the local restaurants, and individuals can still buy straight from there. Might have to stop in over Memorial Day."

Mackinaw: Please bring me back some smoked whitefish and smoked trout (tail pieces - less bone). OMG, just thinking about this is makeing me drool. First time I had this was from Bell's when my parents took me up there for a weekend getaway.

Jams

Post Number: 3339
Posted From: 68.79.102.113
Posted on Thursday, May 18, 2006 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Smoked Whitefish?

Mackinaw, are you taking orders?

Hysteria

Post Number: 266
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Thursday, May 18, 2006 - 11:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mackinaw = purveyor of fine foods to metro Detroit.

Thursdaynext
Username: Thursdaynext

Post Number: 7
Posted From: 70.227.12.239
Posted on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 12:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry Mackinaw. You don't know me from Adam and in my joking, yet wistful, posting asking you to transport smoked fish from Bell's Fishery for me, it seems I've tempted others taste buds. Can't be said the folks here don't know good eats! BTW - smoked fished dip with nacho chips, so good it'll blow your socks off.

Bushay, any chance you would consider doing smoked fish as well? When the cravings hit, seems I always have to place an order from a place in the UP or go up into the thumb to get the good stuff. This would certainly add another option to the "you buy, we fry". I used to order up some smoked whitefish and salmon for the holidays, and made sure I gave my boss some as a Christmas gift. She would eat the stuff like candy...in the lunch room, or in a meeting that ran through lunch...right outta the white butcher paper it was wrapped in. People thought she was crazy, but she was in heaven and let them know it. Guess I knew how to get on her good side. :-)

Mackinaw

Post Number: 1544
Posted From: 69.221.35.117
Posted on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fudge or pasties, anyone else? haha.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 492
Posted From: 172.130.165.154
Posted on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's very difficult to combine the "you buy, we fry" concept with the fish market concept on the model of something like the Royal Oak Fish Market. The respective patrons have different demographics and fish buying habits.

Bushay

Post Number: 16
Posted on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thursdaynext...I'm sure if this came to fruitation that smoked fish would be on the menu. And just to let you know, I was in Andrea's fish Market today on Gratiot and Utica road in Roseville and they had some very nice looking smoked trout and smoked whitefish. You might want to check them out next time you get a craving.

Swingline...I dont see why doing a you buy we fry wont work along with a fresh retail place. We could sell the raw fish as well as fry up whatever choice you may like deep fried. There all over the city. I know I wouldnt mind picking up some fresh fish and chips on a Friday for dinner. Plus it would help with fish going out of date and keeping your inventory fresh.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1252
Posted From: 68.42.251.225
Posted on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 7:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bring back Joe Muer's and we would not have any problem to discuss.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.