Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Blue prints « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Nainrouge
Username: Nainrouge

Post Number: 2
Posted From: 209.104.146.146
Posted on Friday, May 12, 2006 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As an admitted addict of Google Earth, I was happy to see that they are going 3D. I wanted to try out their new toy - Sketchup http://sketchup.google.com to create some 3D models of local landmarks. Does anyone know where to find blueprints or at least footprints of Detroit buildings? Since these models are to be eventually added to Google Earth, they should have the correct dimensions. Thanks!

- The Nain Rouge

Gmich99
Username: Gmich99

Post Number: 98
Posted From: 24.208.243.207
Posted on Friday, May 12, 2006 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have been playing with the program for a week or so. Very cool.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 32
Posted From: 65.42.16.138
Posted on Friday, May 12, 2006 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I cant figure out how to pull the footprint of the building from Google Earth and copy it into sketchup. I'm told this is possible, but I cant figure it out. Can anyone help me out?

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 654
Posted From: 68.42.176.123
Posted on Friday, May 12, 2006 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone else feel just a little bit nervous that the Nain Rouge is playing around with 3D models of local landmarks?

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 47
Posted From: 68.40.195.233
Posted on Friday, May 12, 2006 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

detroitstar, i'm still waiting for the mac version... BUT what I would do is search google for "sketchup guide" or "sketchup faq" and see what you find... every hour that passes there is someone else making some fan site guaranteed... this looks sweet as hell.

.andy.

P.S. if you just want footprints, try www.skyscraperpage.com (is it "theskyscraperpage.com"?) or just go the the website of buildings...

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 150
Posted From: 24.231.201.120
Posted on Friday, May 12, 2006 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have blueprints of the Broderick Tower. I'll try to upload a scan that shows the building's groundfloor footprint, with dimensions.

Andy, why not download the free trial version of sketchup from the official website. That one runs on a mac. You get 30 days to use it, and by then the google version might come out.

(Message edited by wolverine on May 12, 2006)

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 151
Posted From: 24.231.201.120
Posted on Friday, May 12, 2006 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here you go:
http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=145244331&size=l

It's only the roof plan, but it's good enough. You can enlarge the image to view more detail. The furthest plotted dimensions tell how big the footprint is. When you start creating the top of the building, you can use the dimensions closest to the walls. I would search for the other plans and elevations, but everytime I unroll them, they start to tear because they are so old. Hope this helps.

(Message edited by wolverine on May 12, 2006)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.