Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » WJLB Vehicle Found In Pieces « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 466
Posted From: 65.42.23.2
Posted on Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.clickondetroit.com/ news/9183099/detail.html

The $68,000 Dodge Magnum was inside a garage on Alcoy Street in northeast Detroit completely stripped down.

Damn shame...

Jsmith9423
Username: Jsmith9423

Post Number: 7
Posted From: 141.211.34.241
Posted on Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good! Now I guess the people who need to hear the message will now get it. WJLB plays all of that gansta "crap" and look where it got'em. :-)

7milekid
Username: 7milekid

Post Number: 13
Posted From: 68.41.222.28
Posted on Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jsmith, WJLB doesn't play any "gangsta" rap. No radio stations play that stuff anymore, it hasn't been popular since the mid nineties. If by "gangsta" rap you mean hip-hop music, then yes they do play that.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 1796
Posted From: 129.9.163.234
Posted on Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It has nothing to do with the music they play. It has everything to do with it being a $68,000 Magnum. All the after market stuff is easy to fence.

Viziondetroit

Post Number: 468
Posted on Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

.... on a Chrysler vehicle.. the most insecure vehicles..

I hope it was insured

Pacypacy_
Username: Pacypacy_

Post Number: 3
Posted From: 136.181.195.84
Posted on Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ndavies, I have to disagree with you:

"It has nothing to do with the music they play. It has everything to do with it being a $68,000 Magnum. All the after market stuff is easy to fence."

Whether it's worth 68 G's or not and whether or not it's "easy to fence", what it has to "do" with is someone taking something that doesn't belong to them. It's not JLB's fault for having an expensive ride.

Viziondetroit

Post Number: 469
Posted on Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I bet more than anything it was a dare or done for bragging rights.

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 823
Posted From: 208.39.170.90
Posted on Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was done so it could be stripped and the parts could be sold -- just like any other car that's stolen in the city.

Merchantgander
Username: Merchantgander

Post Number: 1763
Posted From: 150.198.150.244
Posted on Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Susanarosa I dare you to steal Viziondetroit car. We can all have a big laugh about it after we strip it for parts and make a little change. Plus you will have bragging rights.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 626
Posted From: 68.42.176.123
Posted on Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JLB plays a lot of gangsta rap, although a lot of it is not as in your face as the gangsta rap of the mid 90s. Look at their top 10 or last 10 played lists on their web site -- T.I., Young Jeezy, Chamillionaire. All of those artists rely heavily on gangsta rap roots. Trick Trick's "Welcome to Detroit" anthem, another gangsta rap song, was placed in heavy rotation. However, it's not all gangsta rap. E-40's "Tell Me When To Go", a song more about dancing and going buck wild, is one of its top songs right now. But don't tell me JLB doesn't play gangsta rap. As long as mainstream hip hop embraces gangsta rap then so will JLB.

However, I don't think the theft has as much to do with the music the station plays as it does with having a lot of expensive stuff in a flashy car. Bottom line is it's all about the money. Somebody saw the chance to make quick buck and jumped at it.

Viziondetroit

Post Number: 470
Posted on Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"All of those artists rely heavily on gangsta rap roots."

"As long as mainstream hip hop embraces gangsta rap then so will JLB."

it's a different beast..Gangsta rap was a fad.. I would say these days it would be better classified as Material Rap.. rapping about what they have and how they are stunna's and balla's.

Gansta rap was violent in theme.. we have minutely progressed lol...

Iseries840
Username: Iseries840

Post Number: 202
Posted From: 12.31.43.194
Posted on Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is just one more reason to ban rap music. Why are we allowing this garbage to be fed to our children?

Tayshaun22
Username: Tayshaun22

Post Number: 133
Posted From: 69.14.101.116
Posted on Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Crime didn't begin because of gangsta rap, come on people.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 7366
Posted From: 198.208.159.19
Posted on Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is easier to ban things than watch what their children listen to if parents don't approve.

It's the American way. Expect the government to ban everything so parents don't have to.

Spidergirl
Username: Spidergirl

Post Number: 206
Posted From: 63.77.247.130
Posted on Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Iseries840 - you could say the same thing about rock music, video games and violence in movies as well.

If you don't want something fed to your children, you should be involved in the decision to limit what they hear, see, watch etc. up to a certain age.

Parents can't blame socieity or pop culture on how it affects their children.

Ron
Username: Ron

Post Number: 102
Posted From: 70.212.20.130
Posted on Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's called "freedom of speech" iseries840. If you ban music (artistic speech), that same precedent can be used to ban political speech, social speech, etc.

E_hemingway

Post Number: 627
Posted on Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd say that a lot of today's mainstream hip hop is a hybrid of the materialism of Puffy and the violence of Death Row. Most mainstream rappers today are just as easy to rap about being a crime boss as they are about all the bling they wear. But the gangsta rap aspect is still quite visible. You are far more likely to hear a T.I. or Young Jeezy record on JLB or Hot 102.7 today than a Common or Talib Kweli song.

Viziondetroit

Post Number: 471
Posted on Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree above,

Parents need to be parents.. many times parents expect/ think that TV, internet, radio etc.. to be censored babysitters.

It is heavily weighted on upbringing, parental enforcement, and not sugarcoating (censoring things) We all want what we can't or shouldn't have.

Super_d
Username: Super_d

Post Number: 869
Posted From: 70.88.106.173
Posted on Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like very creative and mordacious advertising promotion to me!__ trick'n the public souls into a simple con game of life.....right? All the while 'WJLB' enjoys the proceeds of the con.

maybe we got 'played'......?

super d(motordetroit)

Rustic
Username: Rustic

Post Number: 2420
Posted From: 130.132.177.245
Posted on Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

... strip my ride ... a new TV show

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2069
Posted From: 4.229.81.65
Posted on Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Super_d, you may be right! Look at all the extra "air time" this got in the local media, WJLB got a lot of free publicity out of this one.

Super_d

Post Number: 871
Posted From: 70.88.106.173
Posted on Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

'hood rule ' #16

don't steal any media owned vehicle, unless you have no other way to get away!

until I see a real arrest on this.....

JLB's hands are all over this one!

super d(motordetroit)

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 5867
Posted From: 69.242.213.167
Posted on Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The vehicle was taken during a career event at Osbourn High School.

Awfully progressive of Detroit Public Schools, to name a high school after Ozzie.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 1799
Posted From: 129.9.163.105
Posted on Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think it was a con job from the station. Way too much at risk for the radio station if they were to be caught for insurance fraud.

However, It was definitely an inside job. The car was driven away from the school. There is no way to start a new Magnum without the key. New Magnums have the Sentri Key feature standard. It takes a properly encoded key to start the car. Punching the lock or hotwiring the car won't work. Someone must have left the keys in it.:-)

E_hemingway

Post Number: 631
Posted on Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You'd be surprised how many people leave their keys in their car, their car unlocked or their car running and unlocked. It happens so often that most people would shake their head right off their shoulders thinking about it. A little common sense goes a long way in protecting your car and property.

Username: 1953

Post Number: 816
Posted From: 209.104.146.146
Posted on Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Crime is the direct result of hip hop music. It's science.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2072
Posted From: 4.229.81.65
Posted on Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

E_hemingway, I absolutely agree with you... it's amazing at how many people do that. I see people at 7-Elevens and gas stations in SCS leaving their cars running all the time.

Of course I also see people pumping gas and using their cell phones a lot also.... DUMB!! One of the leading causes of car fires at gas stations is by static electricity from cell phones.

Toolbox
Username: Toolbox

Post Number: 905
Posted From: 66.184.29.148
Posted on Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Gistok
Of course I also see people pumping gas and using their cell phones a lot also.... DUMB!! One of the leading causes of car fires at gas stations is by static electricity from cell phones.

A cell phone is no more a producer of static charge than a sweater. The cell phone thing is urban ledgend.

Dag
Username: Dag

Post Number: 213
Posted From: 68.188.238.215
Posted on Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is the history on the urban legend of cell phones causing fires while refueling.

This is a complete urban legend.

http://www.snopes.com/autos/ha zards/gasvapor.asp

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 825
Posted From: 68.79.94.221
Posted on Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did anyone see the Mythbusters they did on that? The amount of static they needed to blow up a car that is fueling was gigantic.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 1606
Posted From: 69.209.158.194
Posted on Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The problem I have with folks always saying that parents are responsible for what their kids see or hear is that parents with the best intentions can't safeguard against everything.

I can forbid my kids from buying music with explicit lyrics, but does that stop them from listening to it on their ipod or a friend's ipod on the way to and from school.

I can monitor what my kids view on the internet, but if I go to the bathroom they still have time to view a raunchy video (like "Shake that A-- for me" by Eminem).

If I send my kids over to one of their friend's house these days I need to have hired a private investigator to check out the parents and the home before sending them. What safeguards do the friend's parents have in place if they go to bed early and their son or daughter has a computer in their room that has no parental controls?

My point here is that parents can be very vigilent but their kids will still be exposed to things they don't want them to see or hear because there is just so much out there that a parent can't protect them from it all.

At this point I can hear the free speech advocates say, "You have got to tell them about the evils that are out there so they'll know how to handle them when they come across them." The problem with this rationale is that as a parent you are forced to tell your kids about these things at much earlier ages. You have to do this just because someone wants to express their first amendment right to put out any kind of obscene material because they want to, and the fact that they're not the least bit worried about decency is what's scary. You know I can say the F-word whenever I want but that doesn't mean I have to.

Whether or not the stealing of the WJLB promotional ride was fate getting even for the music they now play, I do remember a time when what was played on WJLB your whole family could listen to. Somewhere, in order to get away with playing the crude or misogynistic rap music they now play, WJLB forced adults to find a radio station that plays "grown folks" music. WJLB would market this growing "rap crap" to the kids.

Well, if you leave the kids alone to their own devices, with little education and world experience, you see what they sow, "I'm in love with a stripper, Shake that A-- for me, It's hard out here for a pimp, and my personal favorite: "Booty, booty, booty everywhere." Songs to remember in your old age about your youth. Incredible.

(Message edited by royce on May 09, 2006)

Viziondetroit

Post Number: 472
Posted From: 68.42.176.190
Posted on Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol... good post Royce

singing... I'm in love with a stripper........

Drdetroit
Username: Drdetroit

Post Number: 90
Posted From: 68.79.103.130
Posted on Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BIG DEAL - When they found my hooptie up on jefferson no one made a thread about that. Shhee

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 14
Posted From: 69.209.130.199
Posted on Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 9:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Royce- The problem with your argument is that you are determining, on behalf of society as a whole, what is and isn't morally acceptable. Your values are not universal, as witnessed by the fact that many musicians see fit to express views you don't find acceptable, and that many, many people enjoy listening to their music. I can't tell you how to raise your children, but neither should you be able to restrict my access to music because it conflicts with your values. If you honestly can't find a way to censor your children from the outside world without imposing your values on anyone else, look to the Amish- they've been doing it for generations and are quite effective at it. And they know how to raise chickens.

Ron

Post Number: 105
Posted From: 70.212.13.53
Posted on Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The issue is that children now are exposed to much more than they were even ten years ago. 150 years ago, you could control who your children associated with, and hence, what they were exposed to, simply by not allowing them to go outside and interact with the folks who came by. We were an agragrian society.

Then, upon the advent of the Insustrial age, our children were exposed to more because we lived in denser neighborhoods, typically in urban areas where the factories were located.

Now, the "neighborhood community" consists of the entire world because of the Internet (thanks Al Gore!)(just joking).

On the other hand, the "global neighborhood" created by the Internet can be harnessed for great good, as well as great evil.

We used to control what our children watched on television. Now, we have to control the information accessed on the Internet.

Additionally, 150 years ago, people were married with children by the time they were 14 years old. They had as many children as they could because they needed help on the farm, as we were an agrarian society.

We consider 14 year olds as "children" today because our standards have risen. For example, today a bachelor's degree is the equivalent of the high school diploma of 50 to 75 years ago. Since we must do more to reach the same level as many years ago, we, as a society, have determined that you are not an adult until you are in your twenties.

Nothing that is occuring now is earth-shattering. We simply are more aware of what occurs as a result of the increased access to information the Internet affords. We simply must step up our game as adults.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 639
Posted From: 69.242.223.42
Posted on Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"We consider 14 year olds as "children" today because our standards have risen. For example, today a bachelor's degree is the equivalent of the high school diploma of 50 to 75 years ago. Since we must do more to reach the same level as many years ago, we, as a society, have determined that you are not an adult until you are in your twenties."

What Ron seems to misinterpret is that oh-so-many (especially in Detroit) of today's HS graduates have twelve years of post-kindergarten schooling in lieu of a dozen years worth of education. Our (high? hah!) standards are meaningless because they're not enforced. Kids get passed on to the next grade due solely to getting a year older. The standards in our schools are like a hurdles-racing track without the hurdles.

Many college "students" require up to two years of remediation (high school) courses in college to prepare them for basic, elementary college-level coursework.

Deputy_mayor_2026
Username: Deputy_mayor_2026

Post Number: 41
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 11:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the lack of social funding and the pretenses holding inner-city inhabitants back are more to blame for crime than rap. Rap is merely a product of this and African-American frustration with the economy as well as society of the US. Titles like "Ball of Confusion" and the "Message" are evidence of this.

Censoring children is useless because there will come a time when they will have to face such explicit themes. Of course there is some need for restriction, but as children age they should be taught to interpret different media. Parents would do better to create a strong moral value system that can enable youth to tell the difference between right and wrong things than simply block what they consider to be "bad."

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10049
Posted From: 69.246.37.236
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 12:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

singing... I'm in love with a stripper........

One of the most meaningful rap songs to come out in a long while.

Deputy_mayor_2026

Post Number: 43
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 12:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Doesn't top "I like Big Butts," but it has been a while since that.

Perfectgentleman
Username: Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 83
Posted From: 71.227.26.9
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 12:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not to get too far off the subject, but:

Obviously a society that wrongly holds celebrities in such high esteem allows unsuitable messages to be legitimized through certain kinds of music. When corporate America hires certain rappers, many admitted ex-criminals, to endorse mainstream products, the power of legitimacy is amplified even more. Snoop Dogg is an admitted ex-dope dealer, Tupac was a convicted rapist, 50 cent is an ex-felon, and we all know about Proof.

These are only a few examples of people that have been held up as role models for the youth of this country. Censorship may not be the answer, but I think the voices of Spike Lee and Bill Cosby, who have condemned the “gansta” culture should be heard and echoed to offset the negative message that much of this music puts across. Eminem made a statement which basically downplayed the violent manner in which Proof died, wanting to emphasize how he “lived.” The problem is the way he lived and died are inseparable, he had a history of violent behavior in his past and that is also how he died. He also put across violent themes in his music.

I am sure many rap artists would say they are only “keeping it real,” but the cycle is clear. Violence creates a culture that promotes violence through music, and that music then seems to legitimize violent behavior as many of these artists have become famous and wealthy exploiting these themes. Ironically most of them are phony as they either no longer live in the “hood” or never did. Through their wealth they no longer have to deal with the consequences of their messages of violence and disrespect for women. Sadly millions of these women are raising their children on their own, whilst these kids see and hear images of "ho's" and "bitches."

Eminem apparently does not allow his daughter to listen to his music nor does he swear in her presence. Of course he does not hesitate to rap about the most vile themes ever heard on his CD’s and he is fully aware that many very young people are listening to this music and are looking upon him as a role model. This is hypocrisy of the highest order and responsible leaders in the music industry and the community at large should be calling him out for that. Some do I suppose but not enough. Parents can try as they might to keep these messages from their kids, but the allure is great as the celebrity lifestyle is glorified and seems very attractive with the trappings of fame and wealth.

Deputy_mayor_2026

Post Number: 44
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 12:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perfect gentleman is pretty much right on with his diagnosis.

By teaching children and educating them about the products of violence and sexism, we can reduce the effect of these misfits who are popularized by American culture. There will always be hate, prejudice, and crime in any nation or community, but progress can me made to minimize it.

Royce

Post Number: 1607
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 1:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bearinabox, the Amish have to go to great lengths to keep their children from the things our children are exposed to. Avoiding electricity eliminates for the Amish most of the contaminants that our children are exposed to via the TV, radio, and internet. To ask someone in this society to raise their kids like the Amish is to tell them to go live like the Amish. This is unrealistic.

As a grown-up, Bearinabox, you want to have access to everything possible. The problem with this desire is that this access for you opens up the door for children as well. When porn can be downloaded on to a picture phone, how are you going to prevent children from seeing it? What new device will have to be invented to prevent this material from reaching our children? What new explanation do I give my children to explain away this new threat? How many times will parents have to explain to children what an adult-themed issue is about?

The costs for our freedoms in this society appears to be our children. How can we expect them to stay on the straight and narrow when we keep exposing them to more and more "grown-up" things? All the exposure to profanity, sex, and violence has its toll. Just listen to what comes out of the mouths of a group of kids at the mall. Listen to young adults talk about their sexual experiences. Observe the kinds of violent crimes that are being committed by our youth, especially here in Detroit. The toll is mounting. The toll is mounting.

Ron

Post Number: 108
Posted From: 70.212.96.98
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 7:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Livernoisyard,

My analysis simply takes into account the quantity of education required today that is the equivalent of far less education many years ago. I am not speaking on the quality of education many young people are receiving today, which, I agree, could be far better.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 645
Posted From: 69.242.223.42
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 7:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit's 60ish% functional illiteracy rate of its residents is living proof of the abysmally low quality of its education system, DPS. I'm sure it's the result of a number of suspected reasons--probably all contributing in tandem. Replete with curricula miles wide and a nanometer in depth.

(Message edited by LivernoisYard on May 10, 2006)

Black_barbie
Username: Black_barbie

Post Number: 9
Posted From: 136.181.195.84
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hear a lot of talk about musicians and artists should be responsible for what they say...and to some degree they should...

however, you do know that artists have been doing "unmoral" things for centuries...going against the grain and depicting society for what it is, as a means of "waking people up."

you do know, that artists (especially hip hop artists) do not own, take part, or make decisions in major media , not even small media...someone besides them want what they're producing out in the public more then they do...

And as an artist, myself, these companies know exactly what they're doing and what product they want to push to certain demographics and communities...it's about making money.

They also find the most talented people to create pop culture and tell them to dumb down their lyrics & talents to market what sells (i.e sex, money, and violence)...this sh#t happens in all media outlets, look at the film industry as well...the even find the most non-talented "eye-candied" bodies and make them popular as well...again it's about making money.

By the way, there's tons of hip-hop (thousands of artists you've never even heard of) that's positive and it talks about upliftment...but do you think they'll get as much air time as the violent songs? No.

Common, Talib, and Mos Def have been rapping for years...their fan base is undeniable that's why they can sell out concerts...but even on a good day, Common won't sell as many records as 50 Cent, because the media companies & advertising companies won't be quick to put his positive sh#t out instead of 50 Cent's...

Also these "violent rappers" have families to feed...and like someone mentioned, some are ex-cons, so do you think they would make this much money trying to get a regular job? HELL NO. This is a new form of hustle. And I'm not mad for using what they can to make money...hell, the money men allow for it. I would make money off of them too...record companies don't give a damn if they live or die (some even anticipate their deaths to make more money)...and neither should they.

please don't blame hip-hop or any artists for doing what they do...it's been that way since Dante, Chaucer, Micheangleo, etc...

artits, in the 20th-century, are just now starting to make extreme amounts of money for influencing nations/ the world...because they have the talent to do so...

instead, blame the people writing their checks.

-BB

Harpernottingham
Username: Harpernottingham

Post Number: 55
Posted From: 66.178.227.202
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rap's not music.
And "R&B" sure don't stand for "rhythm & blues" anymore.

More like "rap & bullshit."

Hip-hop-hooray?

In the immortal words of yacht rockers Hall & Oates, "I can't go for that ... no can do."

Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 85
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

please don't blame hip-hop or any artists for doing what they do...it's been that way since Dante, Chaucer, Micheangleo, etc...

Do really think rap rises to the level of the people you mentioned here? In a world that defines and "artist" as any person who refers to himself or herself as one, it seems society should be willing to make some distinctions between the relative value of art or music.

For example, a person could call themselves a "musician" or "artist" and release a CD of very negative music which would encourage children to kill themselves. We have a duty as a SOCIETY, not just individual parents, to condemn such a thing and we should not be hesitant to say it is garbage because we fear passing judgement on "art."

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 270
Posted From: 129.9.163.234
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

don't like rap? don't buy any. Now if I could just stop the bass waves from rattling my windows, drowning out my car radio at traffic lights....I always wanted to put together a high powered audio system in my car to blast out "the ride of the Valkries" in response.

Tayshaun22

Post Number: 136
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rap's not music?

This rhythmatic explosion, is what your frame of mind has chosen
I'll leave your brain stimulated, niggaz is frozen
Speak with criminal slang, begin like a violin
End like Leviathan, it's deep well let me try again
Wisdom be leakin out my grapefruit troop
I dominate break loops, givin mics men-e-straul cycles
Street's disciple, I rock beats that's mega trifle
And groovy but smoother than moves by Villanova
You're still a soldier, I'm like Sly Stone in Cobra
Packin like a rasta in the weed spot
Vocals'll squeeze glocks, MC's eavesdrop
Though they need not to sneak
My poetry's deep, I never fell
Nas's raps should be locked in a cell
It ain't hard to tell

Can Hall & Oates lyrics match the mastermind Nas's lyrics? I don't think so.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 15
Posted From: 69.209.130.199
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"In a world that defines and "artist" as any person who refers to himself or herself as one"

Would you have it any other way? Many of history's most famous and highly-regarded artists were not respected in their own time. Who do you think should determine what is and isn't art? Should we apply the "Perfectgentleman litmus test?" It may work for you, and maybe even for a few other people, but there will always be those who define "art" differently. I don't think anyone can or should make this distinction for society as a whole.

E_hemingway

Post Number: 646
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As long as idiots like havenotclueham keep dogging hip hop I know it's still the most relevant music of the time. Hip hop dominates the music industry and modernday mainstream pop culture. Just look at MTV, VHI or turn on any pop radio station and you will hear more hip hop music than any other genre. Want proof? You'll find a higher percentage of white kids watching BET than black kids watching CMT. No question. Many more young people know who Kanye West is than Hal & Oates. It's a reality that a lot of middleaged white people just can't recognize. That's fine with me. They can keep trying to relive the Led Zepplin and Hank Williams days all they want. That's not only yesterday, it's yesteryear.

However, I agree with what Chris Rock said, "Love rap music. Tired of defending it." There is a lot of crap in hip hop right now. People are more likely to hear something stupid like I'm in Love with a Stripper or Ridin Dirty than classic, but largely underground, hits like Go or Get By. Ah well. Most hip hop heads, myself included, know what they like and appreciate what built hip hop culture into the Goliath it is today. I may not think that highly of In Da Club, but I understand its popularity. Honestly, I have no sympathy for people who write off hip hop culture just based on overhearing 50 Cent on their kid's ipod but don't take the time to discover A Tribe Called Quest.

At the end of the day, hip hop is still the most innovative music out there. No other music makes people stop and pay attention more than hip hop. Even the crap in hip hop can be far more creative than a lot of what's in rock or country right now. For example, the group Backwudz big single is all about cars and rims. But what makes that song a hit is how it worked the Ompa Lumpa line, "I don't like the look of it" from Charlie in the Chocolate Factory into the chorus. I haven't been that surprised by a song since Jay Z sampled Annie for Hard Knock Life. That's the last place I expected hip hop to go and it's still dope. That type of creativity is why hip hop is on top of the music world and all other genres are struggling to keep up.

Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 86
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bearinabox -

No, I would never want to apply a "litmus test" and have not advocated censorship. There are some universal values that we should be able to agree on however in a civilized society. Without a sense of morality, we have nothing. Censorship WILL COME if we do not start discussing and holding those accountable who seek to perpetuate harmful values upon our children.

The reason people even bring up censorship is that the entertainment industry is not acting responsibly. So, they are going to send these messages into our homes whether we want it or not and it is up to us to police every available communications outlet to see that our children are not exposed to it.

If we can no longer trust people to be moral and act responsibly, new laws and restrictions will come, which most of us don't want. A free society cannot survive without morality, and not just every individuals perception of that. With the "right" of freedom of speech comes the "responsibility" to not harm society as a whole.

E_hemingway -

I respect your opinion on Hip Hop but I am sure you realize the subjective nature of judgements on art and music. Many people hate rap music and do not find it innovative at all. I have met many who don't even consider it "music" in the strictest sense. Normally "music" consists of "melody," something alot of hip hop lacks, although there are exceptions. The music world is vast, and there is alot more out there than rap and Hall and Oates, who I personally can't stand either.

Hagglerock
Username: Hagglerock

Post Number: 223
Posted From: 12.214.243.66
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Black Barbie and Teyshaun tell it like it is!

As a former metal junkie who grew into grunge and exited as fast as Kurt Cobain left the scene with a bullet to his head, I turned to hip hop to fill the void from shitty late 90's bands like Collective Soul and Marcy's Playground. Call me crazy there is something that hip hop has that other music currently lacks, I really can't define it, but there is something primal and raw I find in it. I'm not talking about the lyrics, which I really don't focus on, but rather the beat and the way it gets your heart pounding.
Those who focus on rap's lyrics are clearly missing the other half, ever listen to the drum beat from the song "Tusk" by Fleetwood Mac? I mean the melody is so rockin that you end up not giving two shits over what the lyrics say.

Johnny Cash, my all time favorite artist, sang about cocaine, shooting his girl, cheating on his girl and shooting a man just to watch him die. Did people ever call for Cash's head back then? We're Americans, founded by religious nuts and convicts, of course where going to listen to songs about death, pain and violence, we love the exception. Taking responsibilty for your actions and not scapgoating what you hear on the radio or on tv would do wonders for this world.

Royce

Post Number: 1608
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perfectgentleman, I was digging where you were coming from until you dissed Hall and Oates.:-)

Royce

Post Number: 1609
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hagglerock, the lyrics are part of a rap song and they cannot be ignored. I'll admit that I love the beat to Eminem's "Shake that A-- for me." However, the lyrics are obsene. Why couldn't Eminem have called the song "Do that thing for me," and used lyrics that made you wonder what the thing is? Instead we get him describing the sexual things he wants the kind of woman he likes to do to him. There's no imagination here. There's no subtlety.

Marvin Gaye sung, "I want you and you want me, so why don't we get together after the dance." No doubt he's talking about sex, but when I was 11 and heard this song I didn't know what he meant. "Get together" for me at that age meant a million things and sex wasn't one of them. I later found out that many of Marvin Gaye's songs were sexual in nature. Clearly "Sexual Healing" is. However, with today's Hip Hop there's no subtlety. The guy isn't in love with a fantasy girl. No, he's in love with a stripper. And in all reality, a stripper is a fantasy girl for most men, so why not focus on the "fantasy" girl, instead of singing about the "reality" stripper? Why be so literal?

I'm not a song writer, but if I was, I think I would like my songs to be interpreted in different ways and not so cut and dry. Writing a song about taking a crap, but using words like "sitting on my throne passing the time" has more subtlety than a Hip Hop artist singing, "Sitting on my toilet taking a S***." And given the progression of Hip Hop, this song or the lyrics to this song will be heard on the radio very soon. That's Hip Hop's future?

Tayshaun22

Post Number: 144
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Royce, you need to look past Em's hits and realize he has composed some good songs that don't deal with sex.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 48
Posted From: 69.221.79.238
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 11:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tayshaun: I'll be honest with ya, buddy: I don't like rap, but what the hell, I get into late 50's-early 60's jazz, so my disdain toward rap is hardly surprising. But what I came here to say was that I haven't seen much comment from you about the Tigers (or sports in general) lately... Kinda missing your colorful input.

Michigansheik
Username: Michigansheik

Post Number: 152
Posted From: 68.60.139.11
Posted on Sunday, May 14, 2006 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i think certain careers should be bannded, like auto theif!!!!!

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 2680
Posted From: 70.236.144.252
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 12:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Raps not music huh...

quote:

God by nature, mind raised in Asia
Since you was tricked, I have to raise ya
From the cradle to the grave, but remember
You're not a slave
Cause we was put here to be much more than that
But we couldn't see it because our mind was trapped
But I'm here to break away the chains, take away the pains
Remake the brains, reveal my name
I guess nobody told you a little knowledge is dangerous
It can't be mixed, diluted; it can't be changed or switched
Here's a lesson if ya guessing and borrowing
Hurry hurry, step right up and keep following
The leader

Rakim: Follow The Leader

(Message edited by detroit_stylin on May 14, 2006)

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 2681
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 12:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Must be all gangsta rap as well:

quote:

It's calm yet wild the style that I speak
Just filled with facts and you will never get weak in the heart
In fact you'll start to illuminate, knowledge to others in a song
Let me demonstrate the force of knowledge,
knowledge reigned supreme
The ignorant is ripped to smithereens
What do you mean when you say I'm rebellious
'Cause I don't accept everything that you're telling us
What are you selling us the creator dwellin' us
I sit in your unknown class while you're failing' us
I failed your class 'cause I ain't with your reasoning
You're tryin' make me you by seasoning
Up my mind with see Jane run, see John walk in a hardcore New York
It doesn't exist no way, no how
It seems to me that in a school that's ebony
African history should be pumped up steadily, but it's not
and this has got to stop, See Spot run, run get Spot
Insulting to a Black mentality, a Black way of life
Or a jet Black family, so I include with one concern, that
You must learn

Chorus: Just like I told you, you must learn (twice)

I believe that if you're teaching history
Filled with straight up facts no mystery
Teach the student what needs to be taught
'Cause Black and White kids both take shorts
When one doesn't know about the other ones' culture
Ignorance swoops down like a vulture

'Cause you don't know that you ain't just a janitor
No one told you about Benjamin Banneker
A brilliant Black man that invented the almanac
Can't you see where KRS is coming at
With Eli Whitney, Haile Selassie
Granville Woods made the walkie-talkie
Lewis Latimer improved on Edison
Charles Drew did a lot for medicine
Garrett Morgan made the traffic lights
Harriet Tubman freed the slaves at night
Madame CJ Walker made a straightenin comb
But you won't know this is you weren't shown
The point I'm gettin' at it it might be harsh
'Cause we're just walkin' around brainwashed
So what I'm sayin' is not to diss a man
we need the 89 school system
One that caters to a Black return because
You must learn

KRS O.N.E: You Must Learn

(Message edited by Detroit_stylin on May 14, 2006)

Super_d

Post Number: 881
Posted From: 70.225.113.79
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 12:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

'D_stylin' what up doe?__ long time no hear! __ is that Eric B and Rakim, 'Follow the Leader'?

how bout this...

'microbiologically speaking,
when I start burn'n and turn'n
it will make your atoms move so fast,
expanding your molocubes
causing a friction fire,
burning on your newtron,
causing you to scream,
hit me on the proton BABY!'

sir nose dr. funkenstein
p-funk live tour

super d(motordetroit)

(Message edited by super_d on May 14, 2006)

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 2682
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 12:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no question super...

Rakim the ultimate lyricist...

and KRS ONE the Edutainer

Tayshaun22

Post Number: 155
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 2:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quit posting that Blastmaster BS, there ain't no competition for who's number ONE.

No competition

No competition

Competition is none, I remain at the top like the sun
And I burn whoever come in the chambers of torture
I caught ya, you shoulda brought ya
Neighborhood to support ya
No one in my path will withstand
Under pressure the wrath of a swift man
You name the day, the grounds to be neutral
Speak your piece, the feeling's mutual
We can go topic from topic whenever I drop it
Try to stop it
In other words, what the brother heard
He tried to catch it, but what occurred
Was too much weight for one brain to take
Try to concentrate maintain then elevate
Program an ounce from pound to pound
The matter of weight can't hold my mind down
Permanent damage, I do away with
No time for fun, cause I don't play with
Competitors, there's only one when I'm done
Competition is none

No competition

Competition is none, I'm the soul survivor
MC's get live but I get liver
It ain't a Memorex, live in concert
At every network, the R the expert
Whoever goes against causes friction
Introduction music where's the mixing
Ra will never die, tools they never try
To beat or defeat me, because whenever I
Put poetry in motion
From the Nile, then out into the ocean
Three-fourths of water makes seven seas

A third of land three-sixty degrees
I circulate and remain to rotate
Seven days a week at a quake or a slow rate
Be prepared whenever I come
Competition is none

It's no competition

Creator, the alphabets let's communicate
When I translate the situation's straight
No dictionary's necessary to use
Big words do nothing but confuse and lose
From the first step, a concept was kept
To the end of the rhyme, it get more in-depth
All thoughts I come across, my mind's the source
Made by the R, of course
Seven holes in my face as I'm lookin out my window
Speak with the beat and it seem like the wind blows
Through the speakers, I hear it so pump this
And we can fill up the whole circumfrence
With competition, on an impossible mission
Comin up with nothin, keep fishin
No runner up, just lost or forfeits
They all get butterflies, soon as the dog gets
Unlocked, lines for blocks and blocks
Might be triflin, to call the cops
Bring along paramedics
But that won't help you, not even calisthetics
I'm God, G is the seventh letter made
Rainin on rappers, there's no parade
So if you ain't wise, then don't even come
Competition for this inter mixin is none

It's no competition

Competition is none

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 2683
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 2:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oooooooooooh we got a 18th letter fan in the house...

Dannaroo
Username: Dannaroo

Posted From: 209.254.56.226
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lyrics do not equal music.

(Message edited by Dannaroo on May 15, 2006)

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 467
Posted From: 64.79.90.206
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mastery of nursery rhyme style and mixed up meters don't equal artistry. Competance does not equal artistry.

Jack White said it: rap hasn't gone anywhere in years, its not evolving and, in that way and several others, it can't be said to be "art".

Jimelnino
Username: Jimelnino

Post Number: 449
Posted From: 68.248.42.22
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm glad I live in a country where Kanye West and Jay-Z can sit next to Jimi Hendrix, System of a Down, 311, and Keane in my cars console.

Banning of any music is idiotic and downright un-American.

Tayshaun22

Post Number: 156
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Explain to me how lyrics don't equal music? Are you just jealous that hip hop artists articulate their words better than your rock idols?

E_hemingway

Post Number: 659
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jack White is a Jack Ass. F him. He can go to Hell or Nashville. There isn't that much difference between the two.

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 468
Posted From: 64.79.90.206
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JW may be a jackass. But he has been called one of the greatest musical artists of all times by reviewers - as reported by the WSJ.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 7403
Posted From: 198.208.159.19
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

But he has been called one of the greatest musical artists of all times by reviewers - as reported by the WSJ.

I like the White Stripes but I find this statement very hard to believe. Further for him to criticize rap for not advancing (which is wrong) he comes off as pretty hypocritical as his sound is copied from past genres of music. Not too much about his stuff is innovative. Appealing? Yes. Innovative? No.

So by his definition other genres that can't be said to be art" Classical, Pop, Rock and Roll, lots of jazz, etc.

Funny how so many styles are held in such high regard without much innovation but rap will constantly be criticized for one reason or another.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 291
Posted From: 129.9.163.105
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rap is a valid form of expression for those who like it. It is not what has been thought of as music as defined by 400 year old european norms--where you have the "Holy trinity" of melody at the top of the triangle ( a melodic line that varies in pitch), supported by harmony (formed in chords or varying harmonic patterns), and that harmony is in a rhythmic pattern, or supported by a percussive rhythm.
Rap has a spoken word lyric first and foremost--many times chanted in a single-pitch "note" supported by a very pronounced drum track, usually the product of a machine, or more accurately, an electronic device. Once in a while a melody will be inserted, but more as a fill device rather than a melodic line sung with the lyrics. A lot of ears that grew up before Rap can't allow themselves to call it music, and by their definition, it isn't. An entire generation has grown up with it, and it is the most valid form of personal expression they know of, and to them, it is music. Those who don't like rap are pretty much left with geezer rock, metal, or country, which still follow the "trinity" formula. I think the growth of country music is a reaction by people who want the european model "trinity" and can't handle rap, and aren't getting what they want from the aging rock formats.

E_hemingway

Post Number: 660
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well said packman.

Jimelnino
Username: Jimelnino

Post Number: 452
Posted From: 68.248.42.22
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wish people didn't have the need to over analyze stuff like this.

I don't care what Rap/Hip-Hop breaks down to at its bare elements, and I care even less how it compares to 400 year old European standards of music.

What I do care about, is do I like it, and sometimes the answer is yes, and I listen to music that I like, be it Rap, Rock, Country, Jazz, Classical, Industrial, etc. etc. etc.

btw Packman, I'm not directing these comments at you, just using what you said as a basis for my point.

K8cpachuck
Username: K8cpachuck

Posted From: 68.40.45.171
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Article, JLB's got a bounty out for 'em!

http://www.fm98wjlb.com/cc-com mon/mainheadlines2.html?feed=1 09871&article=473447

I'm glad I ain't one of them dudes right now, I'd be shipping out to left coast for a while if it were me!

(Message edited by k8cpachuck on May 15, 2006)

Royce

Post Number: 1611
Posted From: 69.209.133.242
Posted on Tuesday, May 16, 2006 - 2:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where can rap/hip-hop go? How many more times will I hear songs about getting the bling, going to the "club," and getting some booty? Already, I have heard numerous songs with the same beat as the song "In My White-T? When I listen to rap on the radio, especially WJLB, I can only listen to it for about five seconds. Everything sounds the same and the lyrics are about the same three topics that I just mentioned above. No originality.

Early rap had a message. The anger in it was a way for a young black male to vent his frustration. Now, songs are about "ghetto success." You know that after success comes the fall. Can rap/hip-hop music survive the peaks and valleys that all genres of music go through?

Viziondetroit

Post Number: 485
Posted on Tuesday, May 16, 2006 - 2:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Royce.. it's been around for a nice long time.. seems like it just evolves and comes back to the top...

E_hemingway

Post Number: 661
Posted on Tuesday, May 16, 2006 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Royce: You're taking a very narrow look at hip hop. What you said may be true about a lot of what's being played on major radio. However, you're missing a large variety of underground genre's of hip hop that are pushing the envelope, such as Gnarls Barkley, the Roots and Talib Kweli. Some have been able to make the jump to successful mainstream, like Common, Slum Village or Kanye West. Hell, a new kid from Chicago called Lupe Fiasco has a laidback single all about skateboarding, a subject not often touched on in hip hop, called Kick Push. Even mainstream artists often break the bling/violence/sex trinity with their music. For example, Eminem's most popular song ever, Lose Yourself, is all about siezing the moment. If you still don't believe mainstream hip hop is nothing but bling/violence/sex try listening to anything by Outkast, Black Eyed Peas or Nas. Go a little deeper underground and you'll find great groups like Hieroglyfics, Atmosphere, Dead Prez or K-Os. If you really want to bend your mind a little, try listening to anything by E-40 and figure out what he is really saying. Go beyond the surface of hip hop and you'll see why it's the most innovative and relevant music today.

Ravine

Post Number: 62
Posted From: 70.233.3.26
Posted on Tuesday, May 16, 2006 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Guess it's time to re-name this thread.

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 2686
Posted From: 67.38.29.129
Posted on Tuesday, May 16, 2006 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^ e hemmingway

Ravine

Post Number: 64
Posted on Tuesday, May 16, 2006 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, the damned van could have been recovered by now and we'd never know it from this thread! But that's O.K.... I rather enjoy the way some of these threads "morph" into different identities. Y'know, just like in conversations where, after about ten minutes, one of the conversants gets a puzzled look and asks the other, "How the hell did we get on this subject, anyway?"

Ravine

Post Number: 71
Posted on Tuesday, May 16, 2006 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Besides, even though we can't prove it, I think we all know that the van was stolen by illegal aliens.

Paulc
Username: Paulc

Post Number: 64
Posted From: 159.53.110.143
Posted on Tuesday, May 16, 2006 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ravine - it was only stolen by illegal aliens - as most Americans are no longer willing to steal their own cars. :-)

(Message edited by PaulC on May 16, 2006)

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 3429
Posted From: 68.251.226.28
Posted on Thursday, June 01, 2006 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Update:
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20060530/U PDATE/605300424

Viziondetroit

Post Number: 517
Posted on Thursday, June 01, 2006 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that's good to hear

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.