Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Ann Arbor names its first Black Police Chief « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Zulu_warrior
Username: Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 2786
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

AAPD names city's first black police chief

There's a new chief in town.

Barnett Jones, the current police chief in Sterling Heights, was hired as Ann Arbor's next police chief, city administrators announced Monday.

If approved by the city council at its May 15 meeting, Jones will begin work June 1 as the city's first black police chief.

Jones will also have additional administrative duties as the safety services administrator, who oversees the city's fire and emergency-management departments.

NAACP member Riana Anderson said that Jones's appointment was encouraging, but that the AAPD must reform how it treats black students at the University in order to improve relations with the black community.

"It's good to see any progression made within communities of color, but one of the main concerns we have is the treatment of African American students by the AAPD," she said. "If that fact (that the police chief is black) is the only thing that changes, we are not happy with that."

Jones replaces Daniel Oates, who left the department last November to accept the job of police chief in Aurora, Colorado. Oates told the Daily in October he was leaving to gain experience in a larger community and department.

After the initial search, city administrators narrowed the list of possible candidates for Oates's replacement to five before selecting Jones.

Department of Public Safety director Bill Bess, who interviewed the candidates, said Jones's energy and experience impressed the group.

"He's a 24/7 police chief," Bess said.

Although the police departments of Sterling Heights and Ann Arbor are comparable in size with about 250 employees each, working with a campus the size of the University will be a new challenge for Jones.

City Council member Leigh Greden (D-Ward 3) working with the University campus was discussed in the interviews. He said Jones's previous experience working with smaller community colleges would aid him in his new position.

"His energy and love for the University and community are very refreshing," Bess said, adding that Jones has been a long-time supporter of the University. Bess added that Jones even said he "bleeds maize and blue" at one point during the interview.

Lieutenant Michael Logghe - who has worked under four chiefs in his 20 years with the AAPD - said that while any chief will run a department with his own philosophy, he does not expect Jones to make any major changes.

http://www.michigandaily.com/m edia/storage/paper851/news/200 6/05/08/News/Aapd-Names.Citys. First.Black.Police.Chief-19225 60.shtml&mkey=2157655

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 1486
Posted From: 69.221.33.13
Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The AAPD must change how it treats black students???

What the hell are they talking about?

(It's pretty rough on all students--it's a college-town police department)

Warriorfan
Username: Warriorfan

Post Number: 349
Posted From: 68.43.81.191
Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"It's good to see any progression made within communities of color, but one of the main concerns we have is the treatment of African American students by the AAPD," she said. "If that fact (that the police chief is black) is the only thing that changes, we are not happy with that."

I think the only thing that would make the NAACP happy is if all non-black people in the world disappeared overnight. If they are really concerned about the AAPD, then I'd say the appointment of a black police chief is a pretty significant step forward.

Mountainman
Username: Mountainman

Post Number: 34
Posted From: 153.90.110.121
Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I worked at U of M for almost 2 yrs, and the Police Department there always seemed fair. I worked with a good number of African Americans. Mackinaw, I agree that most college-town police departments are rough on their students. I'm going to school in Bozeman, MT and the force out here (if not the whole town actually) are anything but a class act when it comes to the large student population. I have heard dicey things about East Lansings and studnets. Ann Arbor's police force I think if pretty fair .... Now head into Canton and appear anything but rich and white, and well now you're trouble.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 1489
Posted From: 68.248.10.150
Posted on Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hah...not a big fan of Canton.

Let's not forget that UM, like most large universities, has its own police department.

E. Lansing cops have an actual history of run ins with students as we all know. The MSU administration also creates a lot of restrictions for them to enforce, such as the no alcohol outside the stadium rule, etc.

I'm still trying to figure out how the race card, with regards to students, got pulled into this story.

Gildas
Username: Gildas

Post Number: 627
Posted From: 147.240.236.9
Posted on Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The race issue was in the article's title.

Still not caring about the color of who is in charge.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 4103
Posted From: 141.217.174.236
Posted on Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A black ANN ARBOR police chief in a predominately white town. I have to see this.

The_aram
Username: The_aram

Post Number: 4858
Posted From: 68.41.124.8
Posted on Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I'm still trying to figure out how the race card, with regards to students, got pulled into this story.

Let's not forget that the starter of this thread also started a thread about how Michigan's lack of success on the football field last year was because they didn't have a black quarterback. People will make a race issue out of anything.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 463
Posted From: 65.42.23.2
Posted on Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to EMU and often partied in Ann Arbor and never had any run in's with the cops or knew of anything ever going down unjustly. The only time we worried about the AA cops was when we were speeding, lol. Congrats... I love my people but sometimes we get too caught up in "the cause" and over do it. NAACP needs to step back and take the teeth out sometimes... pick their battles wisely.

Speaking of.. I need to renew my membership :-D

Wsugradguy
Username: Wsugradguy

Post Number: 21
Posted From: 192.245.246.6
Posted on Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was a student in Ann Arbor for 4 years and worked there for 2. I never experienced any problems with the Ann Arbor police, nor did I ever hear any complaints from any of my friends, pre-dominantly African American. Oh well, maybe I was walking around there with "rose-colored" glasses on.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.