Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Penske to direct Detroit cleanup « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Tiorted
Username: Tiorted

Post Number: 3
Posted From: 141.217.53.62
Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20060508/U PDATE/605080409

Lisa Collins / The Detroit News

DETROIT --Detroit's downtown is getting scrubbed clean from 4 a.m. to 4 p.m., six days a week starting June 1, thanks to a partnership announced Monday between Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick and billionaire businessman and racing legend Roger Penske.

Kilpatrick announced what he called a "historic" alliance with Penske, who will chair the Downtown Detroit Partnership and lead the effort to clean downtown with $1.2 million in private funding this year and $1.5 million next year. Penske, who chaired the Super Bowl Host Committee, says he already has half the funding in line for cleanup through next year.

"Penske is back," Kilpatrick said. "This is a historic day for Detroit."

"It's a chance for me to give something back," Penske said. "We want to have the reputation as a clean, safe city. This is bigger than the Super Bowl, as far as I'm concerned, because it will take Detroit into the future. Detroit is undergoing a renaissance."

The private funding will go to Goodwill Industries, which will provide 45 workers to do the cleanup work, Penske said. Goodwill provided workers for the Super Bowl cleanup, and it worked well, he said.

The program will have a public presence starting in June, Penske said. Sidewalks will be power-washed and scrubbed daily, and graffiti and trash will be removed, he said.

"You will see workers in uniforms and in trucks," Penske said.

You can reach Lisa M. Collins at (313) 222-2072 or lcollins@detnews.com.

Machoken
Username: Machoken

Post Number: 1235
Posted From: 207.145.38.104
Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Penske for Mayor.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1044
Posted From: 198.208.159.18
Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ditto

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 705
Posted From: 65.221.183.120
Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We need more of our local Billionaires and Millionaires to step up to the plate!

Username: 1953

Post Number: 815
Posted From: 209.104.146.146
Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Penske! Penske!

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 477
Posted From: 71.213.228.212
Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yup, agreed, Penske is the man.
How sad and frustrating is it, and what does it say about the current inept group at the CAY, that there has to be private initiatives to get this sort of thing done?

Makes you wonder, if a can-do guy like Roger were to run for mayor (not that he'd ever do it, he's too smart for the job), would he be embraced by the electorate? Or run out of town by the perpetuators of racial & class divisiveness?

[Edited for spelling]

(Message edited by rrl on May 08, 2006)

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1595
Posted From: 68.250.205.35
Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Penske is better in the private sector. You don't want your effective people pandering to the electorate.

Naturalsister
Username: Naturalsister

Post Number: 612
Posted From: 69.215.16.34
Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree Dial4.

Certainly not. It's just like marraige, they totally change.

later - naturalsister

Dang
Username: Dang

Post Number: 37
Posted From: 69.212.227.160
Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

**sniff** that's beautiful, man.

Hamtramck_steve
Username: Hamtramck_steve

Post Number: 2934
Posted From: 68.255.162.105
Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like they've figured out a way to get a BID going without the additional tax.

As for the comment, "How sad and frustrating is it, and what does it say about the current inept group at the CAY, that there has to be private initiatives to get this sort of thing done?"

Your ignorance is showing. You could also wonder about the same thing about all the other cities that have turned to private groups.

Oliverdouglas
Username: Oliverdouglas

Post Number: 12
Posted From: 69.209.181.108
Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thisis the sort of thing that should be financed by local merchants, as well as joint advertising and promotional activities. Its a no brainer really and happens all the time in suburban malls and strip plazas. I tried to get this to happen on Avenue of Fashion, but to no avail due to the short sightedness and lack of imagination of the local business owners.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 58
Posted From: 68.40.50.194
Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Uhh, I appreciate him, but the man isn't God.

He's just doing here what's been done in other cities for ages. And please stop acting like he carried the Superbowl on his shoulders alone.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 43
Posted From: 68.248.7.77
Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A clean-up effort sounds great for downtown, but what we really need, around here, is for the citizens of Detroit to start showing some class and dignity, for once, and stop throwing their f***ing trash from their cars onto the street. The piles of KFC boxes and empty cognac bottles which litter almost every freeway exit in the city speak loudly to everyone, visitor or citizen, about what a bunch of no-account, punk-ass slobs live around here. (Not to mention providing the visual suggestion that we fly down the freeway guzzling Hennessy.)

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 759
Posted From: 69.14.30.175
Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

A clean-up effort sounds great for downtown, but what we really need, around here, is for the citizens of Detroit to start showing some class and dignity, for once, and stop throwing their f***ing trash from their cars onto the street.

actually...people will be less inclined to throw their trash on the street when they notice there's no trash on it. conversely, when litter abounds - hey, what the heck, toss it out the window. litter begets more litter.

i do agree, though, that there needs to be a sense of civic pride, starting from the top down, that does not tolerate dirtying and destruction of the landscape. hopefully the government will do its part in letting residents and visitors alike know that littering is unacceptable and will be violators will be heavily fined.

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 30
Posted From: 68.40.65.66
Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 11:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

QUOTE:
A clean-up effort sounds great for downtown, but what we really need, around here, is for the citizens of Detroit to start showing some class and dignity, for once, and stop throwing their f***ing trash from their cars onto the street. The piles of KFC boxes and empty cognac bottles which litter almost every freeway exit in the city speak loudly to everyone, visitor or citizen, about what a bunch of no-account, punk-ass slobs live around here. (Not to mention providing the visual suggestion that we fly down the freeway guzzling Hennessy.)

Do you actually live in Detroit? THat comment borderlines on racist and I think it totally unfounded. THe members of the community are for the most part well meaning and maintain what is theirs despite the fact that they are not particularly wealthy. This is the kind of comment that is insensitive and from an isolated ignorant perspective

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 1005
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 12:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ap you can join me at next year's Belle Isle cleanup - the number of liquor bottles just thrown anywhere is repulsive (though nowhere near as bad as the dirty diaper and two used maxipads left along the edgeline of the woods)

Ltorivia485
Username: Ltorivia485

Post Number: 2643
Posted From: 199.74.87.98
Posted on Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 12:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Until Detroit starts posting signs for illegal littering, it will continue within the city limits. It's amazing how you can post fines and cameras, and folks change their way immediately.

Ravine

Post Number: 44
Posted From: 69.221.79.238
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 7:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Apbest: Hell yes I live around here, I live RIGHT here, and it is aggressively ignorant, on your part, to suggest that my comments were racist. Who the hell brought up race? Oh, that's right... YOU did. "Unfounded?" Look: Is it, or is it not, a fact that such shit is all over the freeway exits? "Insensitive?" Stop your annoying whining. If my asserting an honest opinion about FACTS hurts anyone's tender little baby feelings, they should stick to reading the Garfield comic. (Although, that damn cat can be awfully mean to his owner.)

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 596
Posted From: 192.122.250.250
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=2006605100352

Seems many people think Penske should clean the entire city. What ever happened to cleaning ones own neighborhood?

Pamequus
Username: Pamequus

Post Number: 30
Posted From: 158.229.218.204
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's all about the entitlement attitude...heaven forbid they take responsibility for their own.

That mentality will be the death of not only many big cities but much of this country should it not be turned around soon.

Pacypacy_
Username: Pacypacy_

Post Number: 8
Posted From: 136.181.195.84
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote "actually...people will be less inclined to throw their trash on the street when they notice there's no trash on it".

Actually, someone had to start the litter rolling, litter wasn't placed there by the roadworkers who built the street.

Quote: Until Detroit starts posting signs for illegal littering, it will continue within the city limits. It's amazing how you can post fines and cameras, and folks change their way immediately.

All littering is illegal, what will sinage do? Camera's? Yeah and everyone will leave them alone, too.

Quote: Thisis the sort of thing that should be financed by local merchants, as well as joint advertising and promotional activities.

Why should merchant's who are already over-taxed pay even more to clean up someone else's mess?

Quote:...and empty cognac bottles which litter almost every freeway exit in the city speak loudly to everyone, visitor or citizen, about what a bunch of no-account, punk-ass slobs live around here. (Not to mention providing the visual suggestion that we fly down the freeway guzzling Hennessy.)

I know people from the suburbs aren't coming into town to patronage our liquor stores and toss the bottles onto the street. Liquor stores are one business thriving here and that should tell us all something. Put a 5 cent deposit on all filter cigarette butts, at least then they would get picked up, maybe a deposit on liquor bottles too. Why not a small per-pound "bounty" paid for litter, maybe some of that would get picked up too.

Quote: Seems many people think Penske should clean the entire city. What ever happened to cleaning ones own neighborhood?

AMEN!

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 268
Posted From: 129.9.163.105
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

how 'bout requiring all of the perpetual card board sign "will work for food" beggars to clean their territorial corner? At that (tax free) rate, that shouldn't be too much to expect.

Super_d
Username: Super_d

Post Number: 873
Posted From: 70.88.106.173
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On the subject of 'cleaning Detroit', it's sad/or some what funny, how people like Penske is lauded and put up on a pedestal.

For many 'true' Detroiters in the 'hoods' this ain't no new thing(cleaning Detroit), we do this everyday with no strings attached!

--What about Mr.Loves care of the 2 vacant lots next to him.

--What about Mr. Mac, he picketed for three days in front of a liquor store, so that the local store owner would clean up the lot and erase the 'gang graffito' off the front of the building

--What about Mrs. Sanders and her Crew, each Saturday morning power walks the neighborhood with a push broom, shovel, a bag and plants flowers up and down the street

--What about Mr.Williams at the end of the block that (not only maintains the 5 houses next to him, but also voluntarily cuts and manicures the 3 vacant lots across from him.

There are many more Detroiters like the people I speak of that do not get the fame and credit (not that they need it) that the Penskes and Hug Detroit organizations receive.

Yes, Detroit has many challenges, but there are many Detroit residents that get up every day on their hands and knees, (with no political agenda) to make our city the great city it is. So for those of you that can't muster or rouse the fact that there are many Detroiters who take personal responsibilities within their villages, take a look around sometimes!

Some of you need to truly get out more, and stop taking literally what you are reading and watching.

super d(motordetroit)

(Message edited by super_d on May 10, 2006)

Oliverdouglas
Username: Oliverdouglas

Post Number: 14
Posted From: 69.209.181.108
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pacypacy:
"Why should merchants who are already overtaxed...."

Because it is in their own interest to do so. Such associations exist in malls and downtowns nearly every because they are effective.

Pacypacy_
Username: Pacypacy_

Post Number: 9
Posted From: 136.181.195.84
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: There are many more Detroiters like the people I speak of that do not get the fame and credit (not that they need it) that the Penskes and Hug Detroit organizations receive. ..there are many Detroit residents that get up every day on their hands and knees, (with no political agenda) to make our city the great city it is.

Agreed, we need more residents like this and less of the other kind, but if you know of a political agenda for Penske then share it with us, what is it? Isn't penske capable of the same feelings and drive that the others you spoke of exhibit?

Kbkav
Username: Kbkav

Post Number: 238
Posted From: 69.246.31.248
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hamsteve, my understanding is that this method of funding clean-up will be in effect until a BID is formalized, then will continue--but funded through the BID.

tetsua, crains reported that dave bing will be leading a similar campaign in detroit neighborhoods, so i would expect that announcment soon.

Hamtramck_steve
Username: Hamtramck_steve

Post Number: 2936
Posted From: 136.181.195.17
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

kb, that's what I've gathered from hearing more about this after the initial announcement.

Still untouched in all of this is how cavalierly people's egos at DDP were treated. Mutterings of "I've been here for x months/years, and just because he comes swooping in at the last minute" were undoubtedly heard on Griswold Street.

lol.

Hagglerock
Username: Hagglerock

Post Number: 224
Posted From: 12.214.243.66
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"There are many more Detroiters like the people I speak of that do not get the fame and credit (not that they need it) that the Penskes and Hug Detroit organizations receive. "

Super D,
thats just how it is, not just Detroit but everywhere in this country. The hardworking standup citizen gets ignored for the thousands of good deeds he does while Britney and Kevin -dirtball -Federline get millions for their baby photos. I avoid all media outlets by choice and take confidence in my fellow man and in the Detroityes fourm.
D

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2078
Posted From: 4.229.6.193
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When it comes to litter, why can't American's be more like the Germans. On my first trip to Germany, it took nearly a week to spot a piece of litter, even in the cities. And don't even get me started on the lack of potholes....

Ravine

Post Number: 45
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 11:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Super_d: You're right; those people do deserve credit. I suspect that they do what they do because it is just the way they are built and, for them, the only reward they receive, or are interested in, is the good feeling it gives them to do their thing. Pride (the good kind) and self-respect, buddy, that's the stuff we need more of. It's the opposite of the character type who I, earlier in this thread, vilified for throwing their refuse all over the freeway exits. Each group does what it does because that's just how they are, and it doesn't matter to them how anybody else feels about it. Thumbs way the hell up to the group who you documented.
Still waiting for Apbest to explain to me how my earlier diatribe was borderline racist, unfounded, or insensitive.

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 38
Posted From: 68.42.220.61
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

perhaps insensitive or racist was too extreme. However, your characterization of trash as KFC boxes and Cognac bottles seems to speak negatively of stereotypical aspects of black culture...seemingly attacking or criticizing the nature of black culture. However, that was probably nnot what you meant, but seemed to have underlying discriminatory notions

Ravine

Post Number: 49
Posted on Thursday, May 11, 2006 - 12:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Apbest: O.K., I see your point, now. I didn't mean it that way, but I can see where my somewhat overly-specifying the type of litter could come across in the way you explained. Color me checked!! I will retain your input, in the future, when ranting...

Knocturnal
Username: Knocturnal

Post Number: 106
Posted From: 24.176.50.206
Posted on Thursday, May 11, 2006 - 2:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I applaud the individuals who go above and beyond to keep their streets from becoming the the future site of dope pushers and spotters but the bad far outnumber the good. Detroit is still a very unclean city and alot more civic pride needs to be instilled in the citizens of this city. There are just not enough people who care,and, for the people who do, it bothers them to hear all of the negative criticism of the city.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 64
Posted From: 68.40.50.194
Posted on Thursday, May 11, 2006 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eh, I was in NYC earlier this year and Detroit looked (and smelled) magnitudes cleaner...

Ravine

Post Number: 51
Posted on Thursday, May 11, 2006 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Smelling better than NYC" is not much of an endorsement!

Michigansheik
Username: Michigansheik

Post Number: 155
Posted From: 68.60.139.11
Posted on Sunday, May 14, 2006 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i had to yell at a youth who i saw litter right in front of me infront of youthville on woodward. once confronted he picked up the trash and held it, i informed him there was a can two blocks over. the problem is too few cans, more cans means we could tell people where to throw their trash because we know they sure as hell aren't going to pocket it until they get home.

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 252
Posted From: 68.60.139.169
Posted on Sunday, May 14, 2006 - 11:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michigansheik, you bring up a good point about the sparsity of trash cans in Detroit. In Manhattan it seems that there is a trash container on every corner of almost every intersection. That makes it easy for folks to throw away their candy wrappers, etc. Also, the containers always seem to be emptied long before they overflow.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.