Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Windsor Police Officer Shot « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 8415
Posted From: 70.53.98.74
Posted on Friday, May 05, 2006 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Today at 2:00PM a Windsor police officer was shot at by 3 teenagers. There is a body that is covered with a blue blanket on the sidewalk. A witness has reported that blood was coming from the person's mouth.
Initial reports have said the body sustained to hits and the officer returned fire.
So far 2 teenagers have been arrested (reports from CKLW AM800)while SWAT teams are looking for a third suspect.
This is the first time in well over 50 years that a police officer in the Windsor area has been killed by a gunman.

Username: 1953

Post Number: 809
Posted From: 209.104.146.146
Posted on Friday, May 05, 2006 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Always trying to keep up with Detroit...

Blitz
Username: Blitz

Post Number: 146
Posted From: 72.139.243.118
Posted on Friday, May 05, 2006 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Holy shit, this is unbelievable. Goat, where in town did this happen? All I'm getting from the Canadian Press report is that it was on the east side.

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 346
Posted From: 198.103.184.76
Posted on Friday, May 05, 2006 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On several levels: not funny 1953.

Blitz

Post Number: 147
Posted on Friday, May 05, 2006 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's on the national news networks now, Windsor sure doesn't need this kind of attention.

It apparently happened at Pillette and Seminole and a couple of schools were on lock-down. My old high school is close to that intersection, I wonder if it was one of them.

Goat

Post Number: 8416
Posted on Friday, May 05, 2006 - 6:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brennan High school was in lock down. They are still looking for the third suspect in the warehouse district.
There are pictures of it already which I find is always in poor taste. But go figure, the media love the "entertainment" industry.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 288
Posted From: 68.41.145.5
Posted on Friday, May 05, 2006 - 6:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Pillette and Seminole"

Where exactly is that in relationship to the downtown area? Thanks.

Goat

Post Number: 8419
Posted on Friday, May 05, 2006 - 6:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is east of Ouellette about 1.5 miles. Think across from the middle of Belle Isle and you get an idea.

Blessyouboys
Username: Blessyouboys

Post Number: 410
Posted From: 69.209.162.158
Posted on Friday, May 05, 2006 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One local resident said people in the city were unused to gun violence, despite their proximity to the United States.

“This is very rare indeed for Windsor,” said Patty Handysides of Windsor radio station CKLW. “Even though we are right across the river from Detroit, gun crime is low in Windsor, and certainly death by gun is very, very rare.”

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/ cs/ContentServer?pagename=thes tar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Art icle&cid=1146826880153&call_pa geid=968332188492&col=96879397 2154&t=TS_Home

Blitz

Post Number: 148
Posted on Friday, May 05, 2006 - 7:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is rare for someone to be killed by gunfire, most of Windsor's murders are by stabbing. This is only the 2nd murder in the city this year.

I went to Brennan High School and I'm familiar with that neighbourhood. It's not a terrible area but it's not all that great either.

Goat

Post Number: 8420
Posted on Friday, May 05, 2006 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is the first officer ever to be killed by gunfire in the city's history. Above I said more than 50 years but this is the first officer ever. The last police officer to die while on duty was back in 1957 when an accident claimed the life of an officer.
Senseless and tragic.

Motorcitymayor2026
Username: Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 780
Posted From: 24.231.189.137
Posted on Friday, May 05, 2006 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i heard on the news an oficer was last killed in Windsor 35 years ago...howver you may still be right Goat.

either way, very sad indeed

Yupislyr
Username: Yupislyr

Post Number: 122
Posted From: 24.57.86.210
Posted on Friday, May 05, 2006 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The officer being referenced in the news that died 35 years ago was actually part of the neighbouring Lasalle force.

Officer Robert Carrick, who was 22 at the time, died in a wild shootout outside a home on Sprucewood Ave in Lasalle on Aug 23rd, 1969.

Blitz

Post Number: 149
Posted on Friday, May 05, 2006 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was this officer on duty? They said he was in plain clothes. I can't believe these punks had guns on them.

Motorcitymayor2026
Username: Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 781
Posted From: 24.231.189.137
Posted on Friday, May 05, 2006 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, he was Plain clothes, on duty officer.

Yupislyr
Username: Yupislyr

Post Number: 123
Posted From: 24.57.86.210
Posted on Friday, May 05, 2006 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some of the Canadian media is reporting that it may have been an undercover drug operation gone bad and that all three teenage suspects were known to police. There was a news conference at 8pm apparently but I missed it.

Now the latest news says it looks like he happened to be in the area, saw the teens and thought they were suspicious. After a confrontation of some sort, they pulled out a gun and shot him. He shot back but was already a goner by then.

(Message edited by yupislyr on May 06, 2006)

Cklwbig8
Username: Cklwbig8

Post Number: 68
Posted From: 67.70.117.128
Posted on Saturday, May 06, 2006 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

These kids should be hung to death in downtown windsor infront of all to see. that would send a serious message to all these losers that take part of this trailor trash society that we live in.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 1481
Posted From: 69.221.33.227
Posted on Saturday, May 06, 2006 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Even though we are right across the river from Detroit..."

What a bitch! Why even bring it up? There is a river there. I don't think overspray or stray bullets from Detroit land in Canada.

Blitz

Post Number: 150
Posted on Saturday, May 06, 2006 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreed about the hanging. Fact is though, Canada's justice system is a joke and they won't get the punishment they deserve.

Cklwbig8
Username: Cklwbig8

Post Number: 69
Posted From: 67.70.117.128
Posted on Saturday, May 06, 2006 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

maybe house arrest ??
rehabilitation ?? lol
what a joke

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 535
Posted From: 207.200.116.139
Posted on Saturday, May 06, 2006 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I don't think overspray or stray bullets from Detroit land in Canada.

No, but, alas, some of our idiots do. I hope these punks weren't from our side of the river.

Blitz

Post Number: 151
Posted on Saturday, May 06, 2006 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They announced the names, they were two 18-year-olds from Windsor and both are charged with 1st degree murder, posession of a firearm, and possession of drugs. Apparently they were involved in crack cocaine trafficking when the officer intervened. The officer lived only a few blocks away.

Walkerpub
Username: Walkerpub

Post Number: 86
Posted From: 64.231.182.190
Posted on Saturday, May 06, 2006 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We did a story about a Walkerville bank robbery gone bad back in 1959, when a member of the force was shot and wounded:

http://www.walkervilletimes.co m/great-robbery-59.html

Blitz

Post Number: 152
Posted on Sunday, May 07, 2006 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was odd how the Detroit media said it happened at a party store. Obviously Canadians and Americans have much different views of what a party store is.

Fastcarsfreedom
Username: Fastcarsfreedom

Post Number: 32
Posted From: 67.71.57.150
Posted on Sunday, May 07, 2006 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's hard to believe there is bickering and bad taste on this thread--it's shocking. This is a man's life we are talking about here, not fodder for some debate on crime statistics. The media had their go-round with this, and I was disappointed in the Windsor Star's decision to print some unnecessarily graphic photos--I don't think anyone who knew or worked with this son, husband and father needs to remember him laying dead on the sidewalk under a blanket. This is someone who's life and courage ought to be celebrated, without exaggeration or sensationalism. On a related note, when can we finally start talking about the death penalty in this country (Canada) again. The current justice reforms are a start--but we've got a lot further to go before the vast majority of recidivist criminals start receiving appropriate levels of punishment.

Blitz

Post Number: 153
Posted on Sunday, May 07, 2006 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't see Canada ever going back to the death penalty. It's good to see the Conservative government getting tougher on crime but they won't go that far.

Fastcarsfreedom

Post Number: 35
Posted From: 67.71.57.68
Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 12:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Blitz--not sure which side of the river you're on, but saying that there is no desire for capital punishment in Canada is an over-simplification. There is huge opposition to it, yes, but, in the face of that there is support also, including my own. I personally believe it's time that the idea be revisited, if only because crime in the urban areas of Canada right now is on a steady, unabated increase. Pick up one of the Toronto papers on a Monday to see the crime stats that pile up there every weekend. I'm not saying it would be approved, just that maybe we all shouldn't be so phobic about discussing it.

Blitz

Post Number: 154
Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 1:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree, they should definitely revisit the issue. I'm just not very confident that much will come from it if they do.

I think it's clear from my previous posts in this thread what side of the river I'm on.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 13
Posted From: 69.209.130.199
Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 1:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"These kids should be hung to death in downtown windsor infront of all to see. that would send a serious message to all these losers that take part of this trailor trash society that we live in."

Cklw, I hope you're joking. Nothing is more detrimental to a society than violation of human rights, which is what you're advocating. From the language of the original post, I gather that these people have not even been convicted of a crime, yet you advocate publicly hanging them? Even if you truly consider fighting brutality with brutality productive (isn't it just as bad when the government violates human rights than when other people do it?) do you really want to live with decaying corpses swinging over your head? And if it's morbid and in poor taste to publish photos of a murder victim, isn't it equally so to string some guys up in downtown windsor and leave 'em to rot?

Goat

Post Number: 8423
Posted From: 70.53.96.156
Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FastCarsFreedom, Actually crime continues to decline. What hasn't continued is the reporting of crime by the media. That has increased considerably in the last 10 years.
The use of guns has increased in crime but no crime itself.

I agree with you that the picture in the Windsor Star was inappropriate, but that's the Windsor Star. For the last little while the Star has printed pictures that have not gone over well with many people.
I guess they will do anything to sell a paper for $1.00...are their mother's next?

Fastcarsfreedom

Post Number: 36
Posted From: 70.53.97.24
Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Goat, I think we are both making generalizations about crime statistics. While I do acknowledge that some crime is on the decline in some areas--gun crime and serious violent crime are rising in many areas--and I hold the Greater Toronto Area up as an example of that. You only need to look at homocide statistics in Toronto and how they are increasing to see my point illustrated. If certain crimes are down that's great--but the crimes fueled by the drug trade--murders, assaults, B&Es, etc are up==then the overall decline is a wooden nickel. The media is powerful, no question about that--but I can't help but be insulted somewhat when people accuse me of being "tricked" by media over-reporting, I am an educated guy, and am capable of reading and viewing with a critical eye.

I'm not sure from day-to-day that the Star is sure what it wants to be. Somedays I think it aspires to be a trashy tabloid-style paper, while at other times I think it wants to be the straight-laced broadsheet it's history suggests it is. They have gone this route before--showing sensationalist photos to attempt to sell a few extra papers--the unfortunate part is that many of the other photos they included of this tragedy were actual quite good, poigniant and professional.

Blitz

Post Number: 155
Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's not just the Windsor Star, it's the media in general. I saw that same picture plastered across newspapers and television station websites all across the country.

Upinottawa

Post Number: 348
Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The major Canadian television networks included the picture of blanketed officer in their coverage (at least CTV and CBC did).

Many media outlets also showed the dead body of one of the people killed in the recent biker killings outside London. The image below is from canada.com. A google search will get you images from Maclean's, etc.

bodies

Blitz

Post Number: 156
Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, just do a Google News search right now on "Windsor Ontario" and you'll see that blanket picture everywhere. Not sure why people are attacking The Windsor Star.

Goat

Post Number: 8427
Posted From: 70.53.96.156
Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Because they didnt' have to follow through and publish the same thing.
UpinOttawa, I thought that was disgusting when they (the media) published the picture you posted.
Let's not forget the man on fire on Windsor's east side a few years ago. Very classy Windsor Star...very classy.

Erikto
Username: Erikto

Post Number: 359
Posted From: 64.228.108.111
Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Toronto murder rates have been declining for years, and last year was still well short of our early 90's homicide rates. Fastcasrsfreedom should put down the Toronto Sun and pick up a real newspaper some time.

Upinottawa

Post Number: 349
Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In May 2003, the front page of the Globe and Mail carried a picture of a bombed out bus including the 15 lifeless bodies of its passengers. Several years ago there was the controversy of whether or not to publish pictures of charred American citizens in Iraq. The recent cartoons of the prophet Mohammed stirred a large debate about what should be published or not and why.

When I was in grade 8, one of my brother's best friends was killed when a semi-truck struck his mini-bike from behind. On the front page of the Star the next morning was a picture of the truck with the top of Paul's baseball cap wedged into the grill. The bike was crumpled underneath. No bodies shown, but with that picture little could have been more explicit.

Here is the take of Edward Greenspon, editor of the Globe and Mail, on an editor's decision to publish:

'As one cartoonist said earlier this week, this is not a matter of self-censorship. It is a question of editing. Every day we are faced with similar decisions, particularly in choosing photos. Do we show a naked woman? Do we show a dead baby? Do we show bodies blown apart by a suicide bomber or other samples of the carnage that come our way regularly? Most often the answer is we do not. Only when we feel an offensive photo is absolutely necessary to the understanding of the story do we loosen our restraints.'

In the end, the Windsor Star's editors had to make that call. These decisions are tough editorial calls: whether it was the right decision of not, I am sure the decision to publish was not lightly made.

Fastcarsfreedom

Post Number: 37
Posted From: 70.53.96.205
Posted on Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Erikto--I generally try to be pretty respectful on here of other people's viewpoints, but in your case the Folgers is brewing and you aren't waking up to smell it. Saying that Toronto's homicide rates have been going down for "decades" is playing fast and loose with statistics--and is typical of the general attitude which comes out of Toronto--that is, we're better than everyone else, safer and cleaner than everyone else and anyone who says otherwise is wrong. Gun violence in Toronto and it's inner boroughs has exploded in the last few years--an increase which has occured at a time of general economic prosperity, unlike previous spikes in crime which have coincided with tougher economic times. When the Boxing Day shooting occured on Yonge Street the response from the leftist intelligentsia was to say that it was the fault of society for disenfranchising young urban males. The Boxing Day shootings in Toronto and the death of Senior Constable Atkinson illustrate the larger crisis--that is that illegal handguns are flooding the streets of Canada's cities and that they are being used more and more in conjunction with drug-related crimes. Innocent people are dying and our legal system continues to advocate diversion programs, light sentencing for youth criminals and early parole.

I'd be curious to know what your take on a "real" newspaper is? My guess is something along the lines of the liberal blather that the folks at the Star spew out of One Yonge Street. For the record, I don't read the Sun, and haven't for years. Between the stereo ads and the fact that they've buried the Sunshine Girl in the back pages it just isn't worth the hassle.

When an 18 year old kills a police officer in Windsor Ontario with an illegal handgun, denial time is over.

Erikto

Post Number: 361
Posted From: 64.228.108.67
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 12:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You wanna talk denial, sonny? I mentioned decreasinbg homicide rates in Toronto (the city YOU mentioned in your previous post, so spare me any indignation over my T.O.-centric remarks) have been decreasing for years, and our highs of the early 90's haven't been re-visited. You made up the 'decades' qualifier and then attributed it to me. Then you crammed in some anti-T.O. dig. I don't care if you like the city or not, but to make up crime trends that aren't happening is really dumb and unneccessarily alarmist. I'm sorry the Star is above your head, if they start putting 'Star Girls' on page 3, I'll let you know. If you have a different set of numbers for Toronto homicide statistics than those published, feel free to mention them and their source. As for your baggage pertaining to individual shootings in Toronto or your disapproval of liberal attitiudes, you're entitled. Just don't say numbers back you up when they don't.

Mountainman
Username: Mountainman

Post Number: 37
Posted From: 153.90.110.121
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 12:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Erickto, beware when you have no numbers to back-up your fight. Toronto always has believed it is the centre of the universe. Take off your rose coloured glasses. Here's some numbers for you to look at it. What it will show is that violent crime in the city of Toronto has increased over the past twenty five years. This stuff comes from statscan. Liberal attitudes be damned, here are the numbers:

http://www.fradical.com/Violen t_crime_statistics_Canada.htm

Another major consideration, especially with tourist friendly TO, is the under-reporting of crimes. I've spend a considerable amount of time in the city, and after even a week there you realize how little goes reported. Toronto has an image to uphold. And the minds of city officials "Too hell with truth, if money is at stake." As a writer myself, I can atest, but the Toronto Star is lower than toliet paper in the world of real journalism. The National Equirer has more relevancy.

Mountainman
Username: Mountainman

Post Number: 38
Posted From: 153.90.110.121
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 12:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another consideration in the crime statistics for Toronto is a crime is only a homicide if they kill an individual. With a much more accessible emergeny medical system than the rest of the province, if not country, many victims of violent crime don't merge with the homicide rate. There is no statistical category of permentantly mamed. It goes into the violent crime category.

Erikto

Post Number: 363
Posted From: 64.228.108.127
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the link. It states violent crime in Toronto peaked in the early 90's and has been declining since. That is the conclusion stated between the first two graphs, read it yourself if you disagree. It also doesn't measure homicides, and for all I know vandalism and car thefts have been pulled in by this site which is not a stats-Can site but a site dedicated to promoting T.O. as a dangerous place. The page's point of contention is Toronto is a rougher place than it was in the 1960's. Well, knock me down with a feather. Might there be another city or two where the streets are rougher than they were in the 60's?
As for our being in the centre of the universe, fastcars brought up this city, I didn't. Finally, I fail to understand your beef with homicide rates only including deceased people. If you want to see what kinds of petty crimes get reported, check a Saturday National Post if you're in Ontario. Lots of trivial stuff that might not make it in the Oakville Beaver, Burlington Spectator, etcetera...

Fastcarsfreedom

Post Number: 38
Posted From: 70.53.97.143
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh Erikto--you don't know how badly I want to bite back, but given the reason the whole thread exists, I'm going to reserve myself somewhat. Your response to my opinions seems to me to be unnecessarily visceral and defensive. Contrary to your opinion, I have nothing at all against Toronto--I think it's a decent place actually. The increase in violent crime in Toronto is merely indicitive of a broader problem relating to drug and gun violence which is occuring not only in Toronto, but in most major centres in Canada. The denial of this seems to me to be particularly evident in Toronto, where former TPS chief Julian Fantino was all but run out of town partly because he was frank about the increasing threat the drugs, guns and gangs posed in the city.

As for anything at all being over anyone's head--it seems my sarcasm is far above yours. I dangled the Sunshine Girl comment out there knowing full-well that you would bite on it like a hungry bass, after all, a wild redneck like me would have no other reason to read a paper, would I? The Star above my head? In fact I have seen clear through that rag's liberal/Liberal agenda since I was a kid. Incidentally, my "decade" comment was nothing more than a typo, and I retract it. Doesn't change the fact that you ignore all the other factors which surround your precious statistics. You can visit Etobicoke or Scarborough, or Hamilton, or Brantford, Edmonton--I don't care where, and you can see with your eyes that drugs, gangs and guns are destroying our cities. In my life I could never have fathomned that a police officer would die 10 minutes from where I live at the hands of kids with guns. This death has made me angry, it has reopened my eyes to the reality of life in our cities today--so if any indignation need be spared right now, you ought to spare me yours.

Fastcarsfreedom

Post Number: 39
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry, just want to include this info. Last year in Toronto there were 78 homicides, of which 52 (or 67%) were gun-related. Going back to 2002, the city recorded 60 homicides, with 28 (or 47%) being gun-related. Another four years prior, in 1998, there were 56 homicides, with only 13 (or 23%) being gun-related. Although you may well have statistics which support your argument--these statistics (obtained from the TPS) are accurate, and clearly show that there is merit to my argument. My singling of Toronto in this case stems from the fact that it is the largest and most prominent city in the country, not from some anti-Toronto bias. Beating up on the National Post now? There is a surprise. To make one quick correction, your friends at Torstar discontinued publication of a separate Burlington edition of The Spectator not long after they bought the paper from Quebecor. The Halton editions of The Spectator get an insert instead.

Fastcarsfreedom

Post Number: 40
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Putting argument aside, I think we can all give thanks for the sacrifices made by people like John Atkinson, Todd Baylis, Joe Macdonald or the other men and women who've given their lives in the effort to protect their communities.

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 648
Posted From: 68.248.80.250
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I only wish america has canadas crime problems instead of our own. But its very sad to hear about that officer.

Blitz

Post Number: 157
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Homicides involving guns are increasing in cities across Canada, it has been an issue in small cities like London as well. However, it hasn't been a noticeable trend in Windsor at all - but this incident has caused Windsor to lose some of its innocence.

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 649
Posted From: 68.248.80.250
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

does this mean canadians will lock the doors to there houses?

Fastcarsfreedom

Post Number: 41
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where did you get the idea we don't Steelworker? Michael Moore? I laughed out loud when I saw that part of Bowling For Columbine--I can't imagine how many houses he must've tried to find those few that were unlocked. It is true that many U.S. cities have crime problems that are worse than those in Canada, however, it's time that Canadian daydreamers stop using the fact to deny that our own crime problems exist.

Erikto

Post Number: 365
Posted From: 64.228.108.97
Posted on Thursday, May 11, 2006 - 12:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fastcars, 'bite' me as hard as you want to. Your post # 37 initiated a completely off-topic diatribe about Toronto, so please don't pretend you're on some high road, you took that exit a while ago. I'm glad you found a few years' statistics to post, but my response to the link provided by Mountainman stands. Read the link yourself, especially the parts about violent crime decreasing in our fair city, conveniently mentioned early on the page, between the first two graphs. When looking at the numbers, pay attention to the years you seem to have missed in your search for data.
In my follow-up to Mountainman's posts, I mentioned the city crime reported in Saturday's National Post. They have a whole page dedicated to police interactions. There are pick-pockets, belligerent drunks in the club district, scofflaw pitbull owners, and many other incidents described weekly on this page. There was no dig at the National Post there. Back to my Sun comments, you're the genius who brought up their precious Sunshine girls. How did you know I'm friends with everyone at the Star? Are you a writer, like Mountainman?

Fastcarsfreedom

Post Number: 42
Posted From: 67.71.57.186
Posted on Thursday, May 11, 2006 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're way beyond me Erikto--I'm actually surprised you keep responding to my posts--you're clearly far more learned and intelligent than I am.

Blitz

Post Number: 164
Posted on Thursday, May 11, 2006 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was able to watch the entire funeral on a 24-hour Toronto news station. Was very touching.

Upinottawa

Post Number: 363
Posted From: 70.28.0.197
Posted on Thursday, May 11, 2006 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Article on today's funeral:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com /servlet/story/RTGAM.20060511. wwinds0511/BNStory/National/ho me

Fastcarsfreedom

Post Number: 44
Posted From: 67.71.57.186
Posted on Thursday, May 11, 2006 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The service was touching and poigniant. The outpouring of support in Windsor has lightened the burden we all feel because of this tragedy.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.