Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Kwame Wallace « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Karl
Username: Karl

Post Number: 2211
Posted From: 72.25.177.194
Posted on Friday, May 05, 2006 - 2:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Best of the Web Today - May 2, 2006
By JAMES TARANTO

In November voters in the Wolverine State will decide whether to approve the Michigan Civil Rights Initiative, a ballot measure banning racial preferences by government agencies, including public educational institutions. Similar measures have won approval in California and Washington, both more liberal-leaning states than Michigan, so one would expect the MCRI would have a pretty good chance of passing.

Not surprisingly, the civil rights establishment opposes the Civil Rights Initiative, as the Associated Press reports:

In blunt and passionate tones, officials at a major NAACP fundraiser that drew 10,000 people blasted a ballot initiative that aims to restrict affirmative action programs in Michigan.

"On behalf of the city of Detroit, I say, 'Bring it on,' " Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick said at the 51st annual Fight for Freedom Fund Dinner on Sunday. "If you want a fight, there is one waiting for you right here." . . .

"There will be affirmative action here today," Kilpatrick said. "There will be affirmative action here tomorrow and there will be affirmative action in our state forever."

This puts Kilpatrick at odds with the U.S. Supreme Court, which, although it approved some of the University of Michigan's affirmative action policies in Grutter v. Bollinger (2003), also stated that "25 years from now, the use of racial preferences will no longer be necessary." That deadline is now only 22 years, one month and three weeks away.

More curious is Kilpatrick's choice of slogans. "Bring it on"? That's how losers talk. The mayor may as well inquire as to the location of the outrage or opine about the riskiness of the scheme.

Even worse is that "affirmative action forever" line, an echo of--of all people--George Wallace. In his 1963 Inaugural Address Alabama's then-governor declared:

In the name of the greatest people that have ever trod this earth, I draw the line in the dust and toss the gauntlet before the feet of tyranny, and I say segregation today, segregation tomorrow, segregation forever.

It didn't quite work out that way. Eighteen months later, the Civil Rights Act was the law of the land. The Wallace-Kilpatrick parallel illustrates a point we made in January:

During the decades between Reconstruction and the Civil Rights Act, white Southerners were extreme political outliers. Much of their political energy was invested in defending a system of racial discrimination that privileged them. They voted Democratic in overwhelming proportions, sometimes approaching 90%, even during periods when Republicans were the dominant party nationwide. . . . The political behavior of white Southerners then is remarkably similar to that of black Americans today.

Still, it seems odd for Kilpatrick to adopt the rhetoric of an avowed segregationist. Why not instead modify Martin Luther King: "I have a dream that my four children will one day live in a nation where they will be judged by the color of their skin, but not by the content of their character"?

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 750
Posted From: 69.14.30.175
Posted on Friday, May 05, 2006 - 2:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

africantown.

Miss_cleo
Username: Miss_cleo

Post Number: 182
Posted From: 69.47.85.139
Posted on Friday, May 05, 2006 - 8:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

*rolling eyes* How damn long you gonna need affermitive action? How about this, stop shooting eachother and get some education and pull yourself up by your boot straps like WHITE people do. ITs been 300 years, build a damn bridge and GET OVER IT already. So typical of blacks, dont get what you want? roll over and play the race card. Its old I tell you, very old

Shark
Username: Shark

Post Number: 220
Posted From: 68.255.79.81
Posted on Friday, May 05, 2006 - 8:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Magnasco
Username: Magnasco

Post Number: 105
Posted From: 209.69.165.10
Posted on Friday, May 05, 2006 - 9:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That was a joke right? I just don't get ome people's sense of humor. :-)

Miss_cleo

Post Number: 184
Posted on Friday, May 05, 2006 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My parents have lived in Madison Heights for 40 years, they are retiring to Mesick in July. There neighborhood has gone down hill. Why you ask? Black people moving in thats why. What else can you blame it on?

Seriously, before they moved in the hood, peace reigned, no graffitti, no trash, the kids next door throw rocks on my parents roof. The fences on the way to school are now covered with graffitti, lined with trash...........nothing else has changed in the hood but the people who live there.

I ask you, if this is what black people bring to neighbohoods, why should we welcome them with open arms? Why do blacks move into a nice neighborhood and proceed to trash it up? Why would you deface property in your own neighborhood, one that you yourself have to live in? Really, have they no pride in their surroundings? My parents have lived in the same house for 40 years, the only thing that has changed is the people..hhhmmmmmmmmm, what does that tell us?

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 8411
Posted From: 70.53.98.74
Posted on Friday, May 05, 2006 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TROLL ALERT! ! !

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 4096
Posted From: 141.217.174.229
Posted on Friday, May 05, 2006 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Miss_cleo,

Madison Heights neighborhoods are NOT going down because of black-folks. Blacks are VERY rare in most Madison Heights neighborhoods. The only kind of people that your parents see in their eyes is creatures of pale yellow skin, slim brown eyes,and straight black hair. I called then "ASIANS" And they are doing a pretty jobs saving Madison Heights from its white flight urban decay by installing a New Chinatown along John R Rd. from 12 Mile to 14 Mile Rd. I don't see any DRUG houses and abandon buildings when I do my strolling through the Madison Heights Neighborhoods. In a matter of fact there are some new homes popping up all over Madison Heights. You parents can move far away from a diverse inner ring bedroom suburbs if they have to, But moving away to the some middle of nowheresville to escape from the big bad "ASIANS" who are in the most Madison Heights neighborhoods That's low!

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 1470
Posted From: 69.221.39.177
Posted on Friday, May 05, 2006 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kwame and Miss Cleo have both made slip ups today. Saying AA should last forever??? Saying blacks are causing the demise of a particular place???

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 145
Posted From: 66.88.89.94
Posted on Friday, May 05, 2006 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Madison Heights, really? Was just there. From 11 to 15 Mile road and from 75 to Dequindre, things looked maybe a little shabby but personally thought it was pretty much the same as it has been for years.

Miss_cleo

Post Number: 185
Posted on Friday, May 05, 2006 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh gee, I guess my parents who live there cant tell blacks from asians. I guess the blacks who rent the nouse next to them and their kids who throw rocks on everyones roof are really asian? I guess my parents living there 40 years are no judge of what became of their neighborhood. I guess all you who *went by* are the experts, yeah, get real.

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 725
Posted From: 68.73.198.126
Posted on Friday, May 05, 2006 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Miss_cleo says:

"...the blacks who rent the nouse next to them and their kids who throw rocks on everyones roof..."

"There neighborhood has gone down hill. Why you ask? Black people moving in thats why."

"I ask you, if this is what black people bring to neighbohoods, why should we welcome them with open arms? Why do blacks move into a nice neighborhood and proceed to trash it up?"

Woman, are you and your family sooo IGNORANT and UNWORLDLY that you honestly feel these statements are true? Are you not capable of realizing that your parents simply have shitty, trashy renters living next door? Nothing more!

How could any intelligent, rational human being ever cast such a vicious blanket statement over an entire race of people? Do you not see that this attitude is the sole reason the Detroit region is so ass-backwards?

Have you ever driven through Norwayne? How 'bout Benton Harbor? Have you ever heard the term "white trash" used to describe degenerate-ass white people?

Indeed..."get real".

Wabashrr1
Username: Wabashrr1

Post Number: 103
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Friday, May 05, 2006 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know anything about Madison Hieghts or your parents, Miss_cleo, but I would be careful about what I ask for when it comes to affirmative action. For some situations, women are also considered to be a minority (regardless of race) and are covered under affirmative action. You may find yourself needing whatever benifits it provides someday. Two pieces of advice people may do well to remember,

Be careful what you ask for, you may just get it

and

Never say never.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A ffirmative_action

Come election day, know what you are asking for and then think about it again before pulling the lever.

Eastsidedog
Username: Eastsidedog

Post Number: 327
Posted From: 69.220.142.7
Posted on Friday, May 05, 2006 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kwame is right. There will always be a need for affirmative action, because there will always be people who are held back and oppressed.

Miss Cleo, I live all around black folks and no one throws rocks on my roof. Maybe your parents should move here. :-)

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 53
Posted From: 68.40.50.194
Posted on Friday, May 05, 2006 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Madison Heights has never really been a Boardwalk or even Park Place for that matter... :-\

Rosedaleken
Username: Rosedaleken

Post Number: 171
Posted From: 68.43.122.151
Posted on Friday, May 05, 2006 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More like a Baltic I think...

Username: 1953

Post Number: 806
Posted From: 209.104.146.146
Posted on Friday, May 05, 2006 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When Detroiters stereotype blacks as detrimental to a neighborhood, they are really talking about people who are poor and uneducated. Because of severe racial and economic segregation in metropolitan Detroit, this generally refers to black people. Hence the confusion.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 481
Posted From: 172.147.200.20
Posted on Friday, May 05, 2006 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Black folks are still a miniscule proportion of the population in Madison Heights. It's laughable to believe that they are causing the deterioration of the whole city.

Grand Dragon_cleo's parents may have one or more (she only mentioned one) neighbors who are black and who don't make very good neighbors, but it's quite a stretch to transform that individual experience into her ugly conclusions.

I enjoy my neighborhood very much but there has always been a few bad apples on the street. Just as many white ones as black ones.

If Madison Heights neighborhoods are deteriorating, it has an economic problem, and/or perhaps a cultural problem among unwealthy white folks who devote their resources and time on something other than their dwelling. It's problems are not being caused by a handful of blacks.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 482
Posted From: 172.147.200.20
Posted on Friday, May 05, 2006 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As for Mayor Kilpatrick's affirmative action comments, do any reports discuss the whole context? Did he intentionally invoke George Wallace's famously bitter words or was he ignorant of them when he made his declaration?

Regardless, he showed poor judgment. The inflammatory low road is not the way to fight these battles. The "bring it on" bullshit in this context is just as inappropriate as it was/is when George Bush uses it to show how tough he can be with terrorists.

It's hard to tell if the mayor is acquiring maturity in office or becoming further out of touch with the practical real world while he lives in the Manoogian and executive security protection bubble.

Livedog2
Username: Livedog2

Post Number: 194
Posted From: 71.10.61.35
Posted on Friday, May 05, 2006 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well Miss_cleo, I affirm your experiences! And, people that tell you that your experiences are not real or relavent are just trying to make you see things their way.

It's the same underlying tactic that people use with anger. People get angry at other people so they can change their thinking or behavior through intimidation. So me and angey person and I'll show you a bully that is trying to get out and act out.

I think the underlying problem(s) is/are a lot more complicated than anyone wants to admit. I think their is some truth in what you have to say, not the whole or all the truth, but some truth.

The problem is that race is such an exlosive and emtional topic in this country that you can rarely have a discussion about it without being written off as an extremist one way or the other. And, like all things in life the truth lies somewhere in the middle of all the arguments.

The Optimists and Detroit Cheerleaders haven't figured out that Denial is not just a river in Egypt. Rose colored glasses do a brisk business on this site. But, that's OK, you need bookend arguments so that you can figure out where the middle ground is!

nile river

Livedog2

Miss_cleo

Post Number: 187
Posted on Friday, May 05, 2006 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If the only thing that has changed in 40 years is black people moving in to the neighborhood, than I stand by what I say. And that is the only thing that has changed, long time residents retired/moved away and blacks replaced them. YOu draw you own conclusions, I know what I see with my own eyes.

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 91
Posted From: 68.33.56.156
Posted on Friday, May 05, 2006 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

madison heights looked like shit 30-40 years ago--and looks like shit today---it's madison heights for christ sake

Livedog2

Post Number: 201
Posted From: 71.10.61.35
Posted on Saturday, May 06, 2006 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Your point is? +<(:-)~

Livedog2

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 8
Posted From: 69.209.139.67
Posted on Saturday, May 06, 2006 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The only thing that's changed in 40 years is that everyone moved to Macomb Township.

Ddaydave
Username: Ddaydave

Post Number: 406
Posted From: 67.149.185.244
Posted on Saturday, May 06, 2006 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the last few years a few new black families haved into my 95% white neighborhood in south st clair shores the blacks who bought there houses take better care of there yards and houses then I do and make mine look kinda bad and keep to themselfs and a few have moved into rental homes that aren`t kept up the best
So far from what I`ve seen around me has to do more with an economic issue then a race issue.
no matter what race my neighborhood is I want it to be safe and the value of my house to keep going up and I`ll be happy ..Dave

Miss_cleo

Post Number: 188
Posted on Saturday, May 06, 2006 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol, who here lives in mad heights? anyone? didint think so so STFU about things you dont know about

Bearinabox

Post Number: 11
Posted From: 69.209.139.67
Posted on Saturday, May 06, 2006 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Doesn't sound like you live there either. Where I come from, we call that "hypocrisy." What makes you think anyone here is less qualified than you to talk about Madison Heights? That you know people who live there? That you used to live there way back in the day? Just curious.

Tayshaun22
Username: Tayshaun22

Post Number: 131
Posted From: 69.14.101.116
Posted on Sunday, May 07, 2006 - 1:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it's hypocrisy when it's the "International Family of Communities surrounding the Straits of Detroit", yet Madison Heights is somehow evil.

Bearinabox

Post Number: 12
Posted From: 69.209.148.79
Posted on Sunday, May 07, 2006 - 2:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It must be those damn black people. Ever since they moved in it's been nothing but pure evilness. Just ask Miss_cleo's parents...

Miss_cleo

Post Number: 189
Posted on Sunday, May 07, 2006 - 9:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

um yeah, since I did live there for 22 years, and spend a lot more time there than anyone here I see the changes was well, so I think I am a little more qualified than most to talk about this city, thanks!

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 7340
Posted From: 205.158.96.53
Posted on Sunday, May 07, 2006 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Races in Madison Heights:

White Non-Hispanic (88.5%)
Two or more races (2.7%)
Black (1.8%)
Hispanic (1.6%)
Asian Indian (1.5%)
Chinese (1.4%)
American Indian (1.1%)
Filipino (0.8%)
Other Asian (0.5%)

Must be all those blacks taking over. Maybe Miss Cleo's parents see what they 'want' to see.

Miss_cleo

Post Number: 190
Posted on Sunday, May 07, 2006 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just how many frickin times to I have to say that next door to them and with their own eyes they have seen BLACK people destroying property, while before they moved in there was never any destruction of said property? Just how damn dense are you? YOu can throw out all the numbers you want. They do not represent my parents experience in their neighborhood. Nor does your opinion. You see what you wish would be, I see the reality that is.

Shark
Username: Shark

Post Number: 224
Posted From: 69.208.255.94
Posted on Sunday, May 07, 2006 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Miss_Cleo why don't you just do us all a favour and hurry up and move up north. And take your parents with you.

Ilovedetroit
Username: Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 2273
Posted From: 24.172.45.2
Posted on Sunday, May 07, 2006 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Miss Cleo I don't mind saying this but you are one stupid, classless, white trash hog. Pack up your fat lazy husband (is he even the one who is the father of your kids?), and move your tacky fat self up North. We don't need you here!

Lowell - Can she be banned for these racist comments? I am totally offended at her.

Miss_cleo

Post Number: 191
Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 9:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Youre offended? Thats rich! Here you have been telling me that things I see with my own eyes arent happening......what am I lying? I am making things up? Speaking the truth is racist? I am offended as well, basically telling me that what I see happening, isnt really happening. Then you get flustrated because you cant convince me that what I see isnt real so you call me names. Yes, I am offended as well

Jt1

Post Number: 7344
Posted From: 198.208.159.19
Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Miss_cleo - How many times have you come onto this forum to tell people about Detroit and claim that you know better than the citizens that live here?

The only issue I have had as well as people that I know that live in Madison Heights is the ridiculous speed traps along 9 mile and a friend getting jumped by some white trash at a local bar. Maybe they were friends fo yours.

PS - My friend is white so there is no racial aspect of it. Just white trash starting shit for no reason.

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 816
Posted From: 208.39.170.90
Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Miss Cleo might be racist and is completely out of line but I think all of you guys need to step back and see what you're saying about Madison Heights and its residents isn't much better/nicer than what Miss Cleo is saying about the "black trash" that live next door.

Her assertion that the downfall of a Madison Heights neighborhood rests solely on the shoulders of black people is disgusting. But the counter-argument that Madison Heights is full of white trash and "looks like shit" is also disgusting. We all know where Miss Cleo stands and can all agree that she's got some serious issues, but enough with the anti-working class white neighborhood bashing (see any thread on Warren for examples).

Miss_cleo

Post Number: 192
Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I tell people what I see and what I have exprienced first hand. Isnt my fault you dont like it, refuse to believe it or try to make it racial.

ha, maybe the black trash living next to my parents are friends of yours?

(see, now are comments like that really necessary to get your point across?)

Miss_cleo

Post Number: 193
Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh, and I am sure this will make some of you ostriches happy. I will not return to this thread and debate what I see/saw with my own eyes. Put your rose colored glasses back on, black people are perfect and never cause any trouble or destruction, its all us white folks fault. *rolling eyes*

Jt1

Post Number: 7347
Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nope - Black trash and white trash alike. Color isn't the determining factor outside of your little bigoted world.

Livedog2

Post Number: 205
Posted From: 24.223.133.177
Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, this will be a very interesting forum if the bullies, read: Jt1, Ilovedetroit, Shark and the rest of the raving faggots, yes, I said faggots, succeed in forcing, through intimidation, participants off this forum. Then we can have group think where everybody thinks and talks alike. It's a good thing you pull the kind of shit you pull on the computer hidden away from real people because if you tried this shit on the streets of your beloved Detroit you'd end up like Proof, fucking dead! Got it assholes?

And, Miss_cleo I don’t agree with what you have to say all the time but I don’t disagree with you all the time either. The point is you have as much right to say what you have to say as those faggots do. And, your reality is as valid and relevant as there’s is. So, don’t let those idiots intimidate you and force you off the forums. Your voice is welcome here as much as anyone else’s and if they succeed in getting you banned by Lowell the way that punk Ilovedetroit Cries to mommy “Lowell - Can she be banned for these racist comments? I am totally offended at her.” Then they can keep their whole forum and stick it up their asses because they’re big enough.

Livedog2
idiot

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 1002
Posted From: 69.129.146.186
Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

now how did I know this column would be posted here by Karl, just like the 'abortions are killing Democratic voters' column

so does Karl just worship James Taranto of OpinionJournal.com or are they a little closer than that?

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 146
Posted From: 66.88.89.94
Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lived in Madison Heights for 23 years, and have family that have lived there for fifty years now---no, I'm not looking for pity :-). While my old neighborhood has had only like three police appearances in the past 40 years, I also have a very good friend who lives in the Heights, and on her block there are problems with trashy folk falsely living on disability and some house dealing weed (they were later busted). In other words, it wasn't anything that couldn't be contained.

If you want to save your neighborhood instead of fleeing it, you form a block association and work regularly with the police and with the city to enforce the little quality of life laws like the length of grass on front lawns, the disposing of garbage, and other city inspections. These laws can be a pain, but in the long run they are worth it, particularly if your neighborhood is on the edge. Basically, you enforce the attitude that vandal behavior will not be tolerated. Now if the city or police don't respond, then there is a problem, no question.

As an example, my current block in Brooklyn was far worse than anything in my old neighborhood-- prostitution, muggings, and drug dealing. However, our block met often and would hold meetings at the local 78th precinct. This helped but I have to say there was dramatic change once Giuliani got into office. Though I don't like the guy because of his extreme policies, like the "no dancing without a license" law, and his taking too much credit for work others did, life on my street changed when he took over. Now our block is being overrun by ridiculous yuppies with their gourmet pet food, and some guy from Cleveland who wants build skyscrapers twice the size of Rockefeller Center because we are told Brooklyn needs a professional sports team--but that's another story.

Jt1

Post Number: 7349
Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So LiveDog - Am I a bully, faggot or both?

Track75
Username: Track75

Post Number: 2350
Posted From: 12.75.20.22
Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good points by many but my takeaway from this thread is a new word coined herein, flustrated.

As in "Then you get flustrated ..."

A nice comingling of frustrated and flustered.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 4101
Posted From: 141.217.173.157
Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

AFFIRMATIVE ACTION IS EVIL!!!

Username: 1630

Post Number: 32
Posted From: 209.69.165.10
Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am not going to touch the Miss Cleo thing at all. I know what it's like to have unpleasant neighbors: nightmarish!!! If you've been in the home a long time it makes it even sadder because you remember when things were the way they should be - and I'm not talking about color, I'm talking about conduct.

I just checked this post because I thought I was the only person who had noted the uncanny parallel between Mayor Kilpatrick's phrasing regarding affirmative action and George Wallace's "segregation forever" speech. I never thought I'd see anyone stealing a line from that old war criminal. (The Civil Rights movement was a peaceful war on injustice; George Wallace was therefore a war criminal.)

The mayor's statement goes beyond the Supreme Court decision where Justice Sandra O'Connor thought it might be needed for another 25 years. The Supreme Court decision which the Civil Rights establishment is defending does not envision the permanent establishment of Affirmative Action.

Besides which, given the rapid transformation of the U.S, affirmative action will ultimately collapse of its' own contradictions. (Which is not the same thing as saying it oought to be eliminated this fall.)

Peace folks.

Karl
Username: Karl

Post Number: 2242
Posted From: 207.200.116.139
Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1630 - thank you.

Would like to see more of your wisdom on these threads. Obvious you are deeper than most and think "out of the box" -

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 2494
Posted From: 68.43.15.105
Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I stopped when I read "moving to Mesick." Are there any redeeming posts that I should bother to read?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.