Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Independent record shop (good bye neptune) « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Boo
Username: Boo

Post Number: 130
Posted From: 63.117.185.99
Posted on Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i received my weekly update from neptune records this morning and was surprised to read that they are going out of business at the end of the month. i am sort of stunned because over the past year, three of the independent shops that i shop at have closed: wendell's, young soul rebel, and now neptune. harmony house was another victim.

i don't foresee any new shops springing up to replace them- is the independent record shop a viable business opp anymore? i am not sure the reasons for neptune's closing but i imagine detroit rock city loves the bargains at amazon & best buy...

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 4090
Posted From: 141.217.174.229
Posted on Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lack of Music scene in one community means no profits to the Independent record shops. Adieu Neptune.

Machoken
Username: Machoken

Post Number: 1224
Posted From: 207.145.38.104
Posted on Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yah, Flipside Records is probably next. Was in there a couple friday nights ago and the place was DEAD.

The_aram
Username: The_aram

Post Number: 4843
Posted From: 68.41.124.8
Posted on Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i'm almost expecting one or more of the Ann Arbor record stores to close before I graduate. i don't know how they're making ends meet...

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 261
Posted From: 68.43.107.72
Posted on Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

noooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 428
Posted From: 65.42.23.2
Posted on Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's that doubled edged sword dealing with smaller record stores

"Most" people don't want to pay the higher prices usually associated with smaller stores to help keep them afloat. Stores like Best Buy and the internet are crazy competition these days.

:-(

Chitaku

Post Number: 262
Posted on Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always support the indy's nothing is more degrading than having some schmuck check my bag after I pay at the corporate whore best buy

Wabashrr1
Username: Wabashrr1

Post Number: 98
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The biggest joke about the 'schmuck' is that he/she can niether read or count. At least if they're anything like the ones at the homely depots..

Chitaku

Post Number: 265
Posted on Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Man I'm so pissed ever since I was bumped to south SCS from southwest Detroit, I've been regulated to once a week trips to Neptunes due to the distance. We have car city which is a good place too but Neptunes had alot of rare new stuff. Like when the Yeah yeah yeahs first came out Neptunes had all their shit

Wilus1mj
Username: Wilus1mj

Post Number: 58
Posted From: 216.111.89.3
Posted on Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The digital music age has begun.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 34
Posted From: 68.40.195.233
Posted on Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

everyone support peoples records in midtown. it's our last? hope.

Eastsidedog
Username: Eastsidedog

Post Number: 326
Posted From: 12.47.224.7
Posted on Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Record Time's decision to open a location in Ferndale was a good idea. I still go to Ferndale once a week to visit some friends and sometimes stop in at Record Time. But I have to say that a lot of the hardcore music fans have moved into the city where the scene is. It seems to me that the record stores will need to follow if they want to keep the loyalty of customers. Independent online music retailers are becoming really popular.

It's important to note that Neptune wasn't really competing with Best Buy or downloads. They were competing with online retailers. They mostly sold vinyl and indie stuff.

Spaceboykelly
Username: Spaceboykelly

Post Number: 145
Posted From: 69.246.30.248
Posted on Friday, May 05, 2006 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Neptune was a great place for well-kept new import techno. The sale, by the way, is great. I was there last night and spent way too much.

It'll be missed. I also miss Young Soul Rebels.

What Andylinn said... support People's Records on Forest [b/t 2nd & 3rd] in Midtown. Which is the best place to find that amazing record you've spent years searching for. The Market-in-the-Arc is great too.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 7317
Posted From: 198.208.159.19
Posted on Friday, May 05, 2006 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Young Soul Rebels left their spot because the landlord (gut from C Pop) wanted to boost their rent too high. I guess he would prefer an empty space and no rent.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 3395
Posted From: 65.222.10.3
Posted on Friday, May 05, 2006 - 6:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are three great places on Gratiot right near each other in Roseville. Record Time, Melodies and Memories, and Hot Hits. Both have excellent selections but I think the electric section is gone. Hot Hits used to have some great bootlegs as well, but that was years ago.

Pdtpuck
Username: Pdtpuck

Post Number: 20
Posted From: 208.251.168.194
Posted on Saturday, May 06, 2006 - 3:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The funny thing about Best Buy is, the one here USED to have a great selection of hard-to-find, import rock n roll and metal (to name just a couple of genres), but then they moved into a new building (a la Wal-Mart...use old location for a year, build and move, old one sits & rots!) and dropped all of the great, hard-to-find stuff. Now they cater to the kids and their spoon-fed, MTV sanctioned bull sh*t. Not many indies around here, but the ones we have seem to be doing OK (for now!).

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 754
Posted From: 69.14.30.175
Posted on Saturday, May 06, 2006 - 3:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The funny thing about Best Buy is, the one here USED to have a great selection of hard-to-find, import rock n roll and metal (to name just a couple of genres)

tis true, at one time i could always count on finding obscure stuff at best buy. now, it's hard to believe that was ever possible. about six years ago, the corporate directive was to give up floor space to higher-volume and more profitable merchandise, and prepare for the electronic media revolution.

you can no longer go to best buy and expect to find moev, bootsauce, or basehead.

Pdtpuck
Username: Pdtpuck

Post Number: 22
Posted From: 208.251.168.194
Posted on Saturday, May 06, 2006 - 3:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Even more sad, I can get obscure stuff faster and usually same price or even cheaper off of eBay! The US distribution houses don't stock much in the way of imports, and someone correct me if I am wrong, but my buddy at my local indy shop told me about a year ago there was some law change that made it somehow illegal to stock and sell imports in the US (i know, not much for info on this, but I'll find out!). A couple of the places he used to go through to get me my import Swedish rock (The Hellacopters, Backyard Babies, etc.) went belly-up after this took effect because it wiped out their reason for being, mainly because they ONLY stocked imports. There are still a few places who either found a way around this supposed law or stock US material, but it takes forever and a day to get anything import.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 2544
Posted From: 69.47.100.44
Posted on Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 3:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know if ol' Streetcorner Music at 13 Mile & Southfield is still around?? I went there years agao looking for some old obscure Was Not Was stuff and they dug it up pretty easily for me. Granted it cost me a pretty penny but sometimes you have to pay for what you want. I thought they were more than professional and helpful in my music search.

Seth
Username: Seth

Post Number: 9
Posted From: 204.78.62.36
Posted on Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Streetcorner is still there... but it's a different sort of store than the others mentioned. It may be the right place for jazz and such, but I've never found it the place to buy new music.

I purchase tons of music and as iTunesey as I am, I still like to buy my CDs in person rather than online. Places like Wendell's, Neptune and Record Time (Flipside on a lucky Sunday) have helped to satisfy that thrill of the hunt on odd used & new indie stuff. I'll be sorry to see Neptune go. It was the perfect place for a music snob to shop and still feel slightly intimidated.

As for other shopping options, we can't talk about area music stores without mentioning Encore in Ann Arbor for the used stuff. I've also been shocked by the ability of Dearborn Music to satisfy several obscure first-day-of-release fixes.

Treelock
Username: Treelock

Post Number: 114
Posted From: 68.77.166.98
Posted on Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ann Arbor jumps to mind as a city that long ago lost a lot of its good, independent music retailers — most notably, Schoolkids Records. Anyone know if PJ's is still in business there? What about the Record Graveyard in Hamtramck?

Remaining options for us vinyl fans are Wazoo Records in A2, People's on Forest Ave., the Record Collector in Ferndale (no new stuff, however), Record Time, Flipside, Dearborn Music, Car City... what else?

As much of an iTunes fan as I am (mostly because I'm sick of the proliferation of plastic CD cases in my crib), I seriously lament the passing of the browse-friendly record store.

The_aram
Username: The_aram

Post Number: 4859
Posted From: 68.41.124.8
Posted on Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

PJ's is still around and kicking. I'm a once-a-week visitor, always try to buy something and help out the cause. Encore and Wazoo are also still around. Schoolkid's still exists as a very cluttered basement store on State, but I really don't have a need to shop there because I don't buy much new stuff at all.

Encore is definitely the best choice for pretty much everything these days, but I just don't like shopping there unless I have to. I like helping the PJ's guys out more.

Dannaroo
Username: Dannaroo

Post Number: 1
Posted From: 209.254.56.226
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a relevent story regarding this thread on the front page of the MetroTimes this week:

Out of the Groove

Babycombo
Username: Babycombo

Post Number: 85
Posted From: 12.5.1.207
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are two records shops in Dearborn. Dearborn Music and Stormy Records.

I'm not a huge fan of Neptune or Records time but I can always find CDs at Dearborn Music and Vinyl at Stormy Records.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.