Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Wayne State loses funding. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gildas
Username: Gildas

Post Number: 615
Posted From: 75.9.248.215
Posted on Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While not a city of Detroit issue, the impact of Wayne State on our city cannot be denied. If you think the governor is all in favor of Detroit and other urban centers, think again. She also agreed to the reduced funding for Wayne, but not the other "large" state schools, ie. MSU, UofM, etc.

Link:http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20060503/U PDATE/605030440

"Once again, Wayne State University is poised to be the loser in state appropriations under preliminary budget plans discussed among lawmakers today.

Under the plan already passed by members of the House higher education subcommittee, Wayne State would be the only four-year public university in Michigan to receive less state money this year than last."

"In 2001, the state gave Wayne State, Michigan's third largest university, $253.6 million in appropriations. Under the current House subcommittee plan, the university would receive $210.6 million this year."

I know its tough in MI right now, but Lansing should spead the cuts a bit more.

The_nerd
Username: The_nerd

Post Number: 301
Posted From: 68.9.47.117
Posted on Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The problem is that Wayne State receives disproportionately high per-student state aid. Even taking into account its research Wayne State took more than its fair share of higher ed dollars for years.

Rberlin
Username: Rberlin

Post Number: 530
Posted From: 75.7.205.169
Posted on Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wayne State should get disproportionate funding. They were/are the major reason that mid-town hasn't collapsed. Also they have a large medical, law, and graduate school.

Warriorfan
Username: Warriorfan

Post Number: 343
Posted From: 68.43.81.191
Posted on Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rberlin is right. If Lansing wants Southeast Michigan to recover from the loss of blue-collar industry jobs, then they will need to increase the number of college educated people who live here. Wayne State students live primarily in SE Michigan and most will stay in this area after they graduate. A few UofM and MSU students might come to the Detroit area, but most will not. If this area wants to see economic recovery, then it is going to need young people who are trained to use their brain instead of turning a screw on an assembly line. A college educated populace attracts jobs, so it is especially important that schools like Wayne Stae and UofM Dearborn and OU and the community colleges like HFCC and WCCC receive all the support they can. UofM could double its tuition and there will still be no shortage of people willing to pay it. The same can not be said of Wayne State.

Wsukid
Username: Wsukid

Post Number: 144
Posted From: 69.14.145.38
Posted on Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 11:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Considering that the bill still has to go to joint conference committee to be approved I think the 218 million will be restored instead of the 210 million the house called for. Considering how irrational the house is I am not shocked. By the way there was a article in the South End about students going to the capital and approaching members of the legislature about funding for WSU here is the article.
http://www.southend.wayne.edu/ modules/news/article.php?story id=2568

The_nerd

Post Number: 302
Posted on Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 12:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wayne's funding is usually somewhere at or above UofM which is usually above all of the other state schools. UofM, Wayne and MSU are the comperable in programs offered (undergrad, graduate and professional), but the other two have much higher graduation rates. Wayne's graduation rate is around that of schools that recieve half or less state funding. If we want SE to improve then maybe we should put more funding in junior colleges. It's cheaper that way and may be more effective than our current university system nightmere.

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1115
Posted From: 63.41.8.166
Posted on Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 12:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They should subtract the endowments, sports income/contracts/merchandising from the state funding, and then let's see what the amounts are.

Oh, those don't count?

Mountainman
Username: Mountainman

Post Number: 25
Posted From: 69.144.194.110
Posted on Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 12:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This makes me sick. How much did Grand Valley State get? Wayne State is critical to Detroit. U of M can clearly get by with less. It has more than its fair share of wealthy alumni and supporters. Out of curiousity, how did WCCC fair? I agree with Warriorfan. MSU and U of M are degree mills for people from, or heading to, out of state locations. The investment in WSU is more likely to provide local improvements.

The_nerd

Post Number: 304
Posted on Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 1:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hornwrecker, why should universities be punished for having long histories and generous alumni?

If anything, large endowments are good indicators of what former students believe a particular university has added to the value of his or her education.

State funding doesn't hurt UofM (it could arguably make it as a private university), but it will hurt WMU, EMU, CMU... Students attending these schools shouldn't get the short stick just becasue their schools aren't located in Detroit. I'm not saying that university funding should be on par (Wayne State is a research university), but it shouldn't be unfair.

Education should be about education not social engineering. Universities tried that up until the mid-20th century with unjust results.

The_aram
Username: The_aram

Post Number: 4842
Posted From: 68.41.124.8
Posted on Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 1:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

U of M can clearly get by with less.

You sure about that?

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 4082
Posted From: 141.217.174.229
Posted on Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HAH!! UNFAIR! of how the state spens it money from the useless lottery system. It's a terrible way for the legislatures including Granholm to use deficit spending to Michiganders.

(Message edited by danny on May 04, 2006)

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 953
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From a business standpoint, out of state students make the university money because they pay higher tuition, which is supposed to make up for the lack of having paid taxes in the state to support the university. Our state's university system is an asset that should be utilized to help bring people to this state, including jobs. This should be taken into consideration when it comes to funding. Wayne State being a research university should be encouraged, because it brings the kinds of jobs to this state we so desparately need, brains-based jobs.

Danny

Post Number: 4088
Posted on Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's how it works in the Michigan Educational system! SCREW THAT!!!! WSU shoulg more money, the same as MSU and U of M.

Merchantgander
Username: Merchantgander

Post Number: 1756
Posted From: 150.198.150.244
Posted on Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The main problem with the way the state funds the universities is that each student receives the same amount but it does not cost the same to educate a doctor then a liberal arts major. UM, MSU and WSU have been working as a team to receive more money from the state because they are the only research universities in the state. There was an article in Crain’s about it this week (I think that is where I read it).

WSU has a serious problem of not graduating enough students. This really hurts the university ranking nationally . WSU has been working on trying to develop new programs to increase there graduation rate. This was the biggest topic when developing WSU 5 year strategic plan.

To me WSU is stealing from the students when they accept tuition money for a year or two then don’t graduate the students. It is WSU responsibility to do whatever it takes to keep then in school and earn their degree.

Now some of the issue WSU are beyond their control like:

Large % of WSU students work full time so they take longer to graduate. WSU is penalized when it takes longer then 6 years for a student to graduate.

WSU students come from poorer background so large % of the students drop out if they cannot afford to attend anymore.

WSU is a stepping stone university allot of times, students start at WSU then go to one of the schools not considered a commuter school. If a student goes to WSU for two years then transfers to WMU and earns their degree from there it hurts WSU. WMU gets the credit for graduating and WSU loses because it says WSU did not graduate the student.

Danny

Post Number: 4092
Posted on Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not only to keep WSU from losing its eductional preformance. It's has international connections with England, Canada, France, Sweden, Poland, Mexico, Japan, Latin American countries, Lebanon, Italy, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Germany, India, China, Bengladesh and Australia. But once those international students finish with WSU, they go back to their country and finish up college degrees. WSU still loses out on getting international attention to have foreign students to gradute from WSU.

Blessyouboys
Username: Blessyouboys

Post Number: 408
Posted From: 69.209.138.131
Posted on Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is WSU responsibility to do whatever it takes to keep then in school and earn their degree.

Not really, I think that's up to the individual. Frankly, keeping students in the University and "moving them along" does more harm to everyone attending; they shouldn't be there.

WSU students come from poorer background so large % of the students drop out if they cannot afford to attend anymore.

That's what Loans are for. My background could be classified as "poorer," I just finished my undergrad on Monday.

WSU is a stepping stone university allot of times, students start at WSU then go to one of the schools not considered a commuter school.

WSU has been desperately trying to remove the "commuter school" label-- and they're doing a decent job IMO if you consider the numerous housing additions in the past 2-3 years. (Both Undergrad buildings, the new Towers, Univ. Tower). And to comment on the "stepping stone" thing, I think it goes both ways. Some students aren't ready to leave home, while others are tired of the "college experience" and come to WSU for academics only.

If you really think about it though, isn't it difficult to comprehend a "commuter school," as it's often termed, to include a upper-tier medical program/campus and decent law school? Not to mention it's numerous master's programs?

Mountainman
Username: Mountainman

Post Number: 26
Posted From: 69.144.194.110
Posted on Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Prior to departing for my presetn educational institution, I looked really indepth into WSU. And have also been looking at it from the graduate student POV very recently. If you compare it to U of M (where I actually worked for 1 1/2 years) it really seems the part of the up and coming school. Right now WSU is actually in my top 2 for grad schools. I talking to many of the faculty of my present school, U of M doesn't even appear on the radar of graduate research schools. To a good number of them it seemed all about the prestige and very little about the academics. WSU seems to have quite the reputation as a research/graduate level university. Just had a friend finish his masters there and then depart for a Ph. D position at Cambridge. (Please note he was a Canadian)
Perhaps the largest problem here is not in WSU performance, but more in how many of graduates/alumni/supporters head into politics. If all about non-academic perceptions in the working world, I'm afraid U of M, MSU, UWM, etc. will almost always come out ahead in the funding races.
An interesting question would be how much in terms of research grants WSU receives? I still think its BS that U of M and the other schools had their funding boosted, while WSU had a project cut. But the idiots in Lansing may have methods and misperception to match their idiocy.

Merchantgander
Username: Merchantgander

Post Number: 1757
Posted From: 150.198.150.244
Posted on Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Blessyouboys just so you know I am a WSU graduate. My criticism of the university is the same as WSU current administration. WSU understands that they have done a poor job graduating students and that is why there have been so many changes. To me WSU, UofM and MSU are the top three schools in the state.

quote:

Not really, I think that's up to the individual. Frankly, keeping students in the University and "moving them along" does more harm to everyone attending; they shouldn't be there.

I think you are not giving universities the credit they deserve in graduating students. Saying it is all up to the individual is way to simplistic and really lowers the accountability universities have in educating their students.

quote:

WSU has been desperately trying to remove the "commuter school" label-- and they're doing a decent job IMO if you consider the numerous housing additions in the past 2-3 years. (Both Undergrad buildings, the new Towers, Univ. Tower). And to comment on the "stepping stone" thing, I think it goes both ways. Some students aren't ready to leave home, while others are tired of the "college experience" and come to WSU for academics only.

WSU plan is to have 8,000 students living on campus, but the overall plan is to have 40,000 students. So they only plan on 20% living campus, this is because WSU recognizes their role of providing an education to students that cannot afford to go away, students that have a job while they go to school and educating adults. My point was more how unfair it is for WSU to be penalized because a student ends up graduating form another university. WSU should receive credit for graduating that student because they started at when and just finished up at another university.

WSU isn’t to get rid of the commuter school label, they just want to show student they have more options now.

quote:

That's what Loans are for. My background could be classified as "poorer," I just finished my undergrad on Monday.

It would be nice if life was that easy but unfortunately students that have college paid for are more likely to graduate then students that need to pay their own way.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.